Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man you guys are making me feel super smart for being able To handle computer maintenance though, like I never realized people would think a computer is too much work. It's kind of cool and uplifting (for me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Turtlicious posted:

Man you guys are making me feel super smart for being able To handle computer maintenance though, like I never realized people would think a computer is too much work. It's kind of cool and uplifting (for me.)

Please don't make me agree with Turtlicious.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I like sitting on my fat rear end and playing video games 4' from my 55" KS8000

I understand you can do that with a PC, but that's just like, my opinion man

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Turtlicious posted:

Some people think oil painting is complex, but it only took me 10 years to learn.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Some people think oil painting is complex, but it only took me 10 years to learn.

No, I totally get it, but like it just seems like such an important thing to learn.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/WK4qqs#partlist

500$ pc build btw.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My PC is old at this point (i7 2600k, 16Gb DD3 @1600Mhz and a GTX960 2Gb) and still runs most new stuff at medium detail but right now I rather play on my PS4 new stuff wich most of the time is console exclusive or runs better on my console because the port sucks.

I vastly prefer M+KB over a controller when it comes to shooters (while having literally thousands of hours of CoD games on my 360 with goons like CoD4, MW2 or Blops). Right now I'm leaving my PC for emulation, old stuff like Doom mods or point&click RPGs like Shadowgate. I'd love to have a high-end gaming PC right now but even with 500€ I can't build something that would make me not want to play my PS4. It helps that the only "PC exclusives" that I want to play aren't demanding at all like Brigador, Grim Dawn or old games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't think PC hardware is that difficult to deal with but I still spent over a dozen hours researching parts, building my latest system, and tweaking it afterwards. I think that is all fun though I would totally understand that other people wouldn't want to do that.

I actually think these half step console upgrades are really lovely and ruin the simplicity of consoles. Like we are in a PS4 thread where some people don't want to deal with PC level complication, don't forget there is a vast majority where seeing two different consoles named the PS4 and that you have to enable an option to get benefits for games made before a certain date is a complexity layer they don't want to deal with

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can't we all just enjoy freedom and play on w/e platform we want and be happy

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Persona has no pro enhancement because its development began on a dev kit version that was grandfathered in prior to the requirement.

That just means Boost Mode can take over! (And probably still do nothing.) Boost Mode's advantages can sometimes manifest in other things like better load times and a more consistent framerate/lack of tearing - all of which benefits, say, Yakuza 0, by the way. Which reminds me, I need to get back to that after finishing Mass Effect.

ME: Andromeda is an odd little thing. It's a mess technically, often running at horrid framerates and filled with little annoyances like markers that won't clear or quests that can't be completed - stuff that should have absolutely been caught before the game shipped - but I'm something like 70+ hours into the game and it still scratches that same Mass Effect itch. The writing isn't as strong, the characters aren't anywhere near as good (but we'll see if that improves in another game or two), and overall it's just not a good outing for BioWare, but no other series tries to go as big and offer the same kind of artistic effort; when the game's hitting its highs, it's as good as the series has ever been, but the lows are way more common and can feel like yawning chasms by comparison.

I'm glad I didn't have to review the game, because I can turn off that part of my brain and enjoy things when they're at their best, but unless you're a series superfan, I'd never recommend it until they get a few more patches pushed through. By that time, I'll undoubtedly have moved on. Maybe I'll come back if the DLC is on the level of Lair of the Shadow Broker, because the bar for post-release additions has been seriously raised by stuff like The Witcher III, and anything less than the studio's best DLC is going to get me to come back after what will probably be 100 hours with the base game (and then I'll end up dumping another 100 into Persona 5, I'm sure).

There needs to be a lull in good games, because this is becoming a ridiculous commitment to keep up. "No, baby, you don't understand; I have to play all 100 hours of this dungeon crawler/dating sim, it's research for work!"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

dont be mean to me posted:

Please don't make me agree with Turtlicious.

You don't have to agree with Turtlicious if you don't want to.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Turtlicious posted:

No, I totally get it, but like it just seems like such an important thing to learn.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/WK4qqs#partlist

500$ pc build btw.

its $650 with no operating system, $24 power supply, $30 case and amd cpu

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Also, add in a keyboard and a mouse and maybe a sound solution and sales tax and shipping

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can't we all just enjoy freedom and play on w/e platform we want and be happy

All this comedy jokemanship is going over my head here I think.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Awesome! posted:

Yeah it's exactly what I was talking about. This build (which will not play new games on high or max settings at framerates that are at all an advantage over a current console) and if you don't count an OS and if you are okay with a lovely cheap PSU (never buy a lovely cheap PSU) is still more expensive than any console. Unless you just want to play classic games all of the advantages of custom build PCs are in the high end. If spend 500 dollars on a setup like that you should just get a console for 250 bucks cheaper.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the ps4 thread will soon be recognized for containing every possible slap fight at once.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You would also have to price in the year warranty and DS4 that comes with a PS4

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Yeah it's exactly what I was talking about. This build (which will not play new games on high or max settings at framerates that are at all an advantage over a current console) and if you don't count an OS and if you are okay with a lovely cheap PSU (never buy a lovely cheap PSU) is still more expensive than any console. Unless you just want to play classic games all of the advantages of custom build PCs are in the high end. If spend 500 dollars on a setup like that you should just get a console for 250 bucks cheaper.

quote:

GAMES

Was able to have constant FPS over 65 with all games on ultra or very high. I have an I5 system with a 980TI and a G4400 overclocked to 4.8 with a GTX970 and for whatever reason this PC just felt smoother. Definitely makes me want to look into a R7 1700 for myself!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man these arguments haven't changed since I was 16 years old. The only thing that's new is sites like pcpartpicker which I guess only exist so that people can easily show each other how they are wrong about how much a gaming PC costs.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The main attraction to me of PC games aren't cross platforms, they're map games like Total Warhammer, Civilization, Rim World, Starcraft, etc. and also the best version of FTL (it runs well on a tablet but it's way harder to manage). For anything cross platform, I'll go PS4. For any FPS where I want to play with friends, PS4. For indie platformer games, PS4 or handheld where available.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The main appeal of PC is TressFX @ 60fps 1440p, and if you can't understand that then you just don't understand gaming.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont have time for the types of games that are pc only. Like ill play a few hours of a civ game and never go back to it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

the ps4 thread will soon be recognized for containing every possible slap fight at once.

what D&D alignment do people that don't tip their waiters belong to, and can i also get your opinion on the two most recent star wars movies :unsmigghh:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah I'm sure that a 100 dollar GPU is playing brand new games at 65 plus fps with Max settings, and it's not an exaggeration or fudging any details or anything. Not to mention that when you start talking about resolutions over 1080p like in the original post there's no way in hell. There isn't even a current single GPU solution for running current gen games at ultra settings at 4k resolution that exists.

Wow man look at this sick build that you could have for only 500 dollars! *Ignores peripherals, OS, and expensive 1440p Gsync monitor*

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 15, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

what D&D alignment do people that don't tip their waiters belong to, and can i also get your opinion on the two most recent star wars movies :unsmigghh:

Lawful evil.

Lame soft reboot and didnt see the other one

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wolfsheim posted:

Those movies were a abortions.

Speaking of abortions, it is my firm belief

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Real hurthling! posted:

I dont have time for the types of games that are pc only. Like ill play a few hours of a civ game and never go back to it

what even is the point of playing games if you cant beat them in 3 days and trade them in for 2/3 value

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

what even is the point of playing games if you cant beat them in 3 days and trade them in for 2/3 value

Three weeks. Be fair.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sorry

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you only play a game for 2 hours on steam, you can get a full refund on it :v:

hopefully sony does that soon since ms did it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also thats just single player games. I have 14 digital fighting games im bad at on ps4 alone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The main appeal of PC is TressFX @ 60fps 1440p, and if you can't understand that then you just don't understand gaming.

This reminds me that I still need to play Rise of the Tomb Raider and Witcher 3's expansions

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you only play a game for 2 hours on steam, you can get a full refund on it :v:

hopefully sony does that soon since ms did it

I would get my account banned just trying out every major game for 1hr59mins and deciding not to buy it like i do with alll the free ea and ubi demos

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Awesome! posted:

Haha, that 24 bucks will net you a 500 dollar paperweight.

Never skimp on a power supply. Also get the gently caress out of this thread and learn some poo poo I the SH/SC thread because you know it's not like this forum doesn't have any other subforums or anything. :rolleyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah spending that much on a system that will be completely obsolete in a year, if not dead from component failure, is kind of pointless. Either go lower or higher, $500 is actually a dead zone for gaming PC builds

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I built a loving room pc recently. No monitor Straight to tv. Use a controller and kodi front end to control everything with a blutooth keyboard for browsing or whatever. It plays everything new well over solid 60 at 1080 on ultra. I also built it with emulation in mind (which needs very fast single cores in the cpu) which obviously ps4 can't match.

Also cost 800 after everything was said and done. And I asked a lot of goons in a lot of threads about the mythical 500 pc build. It just can't get you 1080p ultra settings. For that price. Even getting poo poo power supplies which is a very bad idea.

And I still game a lot on ps4. Cause exclusives and Gamefly and plain old ease of use. You cannot beat the plug and play of a console. Its just nice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Don't get me wrong, PC gaming is the greatest but it's definitely the most hobbyist of any platform where the task of making games look their absolute best is about as important as playing the games themselves.

Having a console is great for indie games that you don't want taking up room in your Steam library, however.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Like I said before this exact thing has been going on since I was in high school, and oddly that magic $500 has always been the same too, ignoring inflation and stuff. Maybe it's just a number someone pulled out of their rear end?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though with stuff like sub fees to use online features becoming ubiquitous consoles are plenty willing to stack on extra costs too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I would get my account banned just trying out every major game for 1hr59mins and deciding not to buy it like i do with alll the free ea and ubi demos

preemptive rip in peace friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've refunded at least 10 games on Steam since the feature became available, sometimes for ridiculous reasons, and it's always gone through no questions asked.