Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Use a sinewave distortion to continuously vary how much each row is stretched, varying the aspect ratio from 2:1.73 up through to 64:27.

Make the stretch beat to the music track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Sazero posted:

Make the stretch beat to the music track

Don't forget to spend 500 hours in the starting area.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sazero posted:

I'm legitimatedly curious how a 16:9 aspect image would look like if it were squeezed down to 4:3.
Someone show me. Tia.

i have chosen only the finest of graphics for this demonstration

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

vilkacis posted:

i have chosen only the finest of graphics for this demonstration

Wow, that is glorious.

Time to start my new Megaman X LP, taking all of the advice given here into account* Don't worry, I won't but please, someone should

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Obviously you should use content aware scaling so that you can make your game footage perfectly fit whichever aspect ratio you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrBfabBNUzc

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

lohli posted:

Obviously you should use content aware scaling so that you can make your game footage perfectly fit whichever aspect ratio you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrBfabBNUzc

My god that's terrifying. :magical:

CirclMastr posted:

Don't forget to spend 500 hours in the starting area.

Your willingness to grind alchemists in ToME 2.3.5 for hours on end, before even leaving town, makes a lot more sense now that I've heard about this.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I have no words, except :D

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Your willingness to grind alchemists in ToME 2.3.5 for hours on end, before even leaving town, makes a lot more sense now that I've heard about this.

At least ToME won't take as long.

I hope.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sazero posted:

I have no words, except :D

Nice avatar/post combo.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
There's a murder mystery game called trick x logic that hasn't been translated and I want to make an LP of it.
But I also want viewer input because I love the thought process that goes into solving mysteries. I also want to work together with others to solve murders.
Here's the video of what I translated.
https://youtu.be/zPtY42U8I5U
At first I thought I would have a stream and have people in chat choose the choices, but that didn't work out too well.
I want to see if you guys think a game like this would be interesting to LP.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 13, 2017

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

juicedup posted:

There's a murder mystery game called trick x logic that hasn't been translated and I want to make an LP of it.
But I also want viewer input because I love the thought process that goes into solving mysteries. I also want to work together with others to solve murders.
At first I thought I would have a stream and have people in chat choose the choices, but that didn't work out too well.

A translation LP of a Chunsoft mystery game? What a world.

Thoughts:

Videos in a thread, in discrete episodes with voting in between, is broadly a much better idea than a live stream with live decisions, if only because it means that more people will be able to participate in decision making (since they won't have to watch live to do so). But you know what's gonna be an even better idea? Do a screenshot LP with transcriptions, and only bother with videos for animated cutscenes, and links to music tracks if you've got 'em. Otherwise, you're gonna have videos and videos and videos of nothing but text, which will suck, frankly. It'll be far easier for all involved, and probably less work for you to make. Everyone wins.

And, oh my god, please please please use polsy for your YouTube links because YouTube is already trying to spam everybody with spoilers for Danganwhatnot.

Related: subtitle alignment seems to be a problem in the VN sections - when subs take up two lines, the text gets blocked by the left speaker name... sometimes. Are these being aligned by hand? I'm not very familiar with subtitle LPs in the simplest of cases but if you're married to the idea of doing this in video then you may want to run through the Tech Support Fort for some advice on how best to handle this stuff. But if you do a screenshot LP, then none of this will be a problem! Please do a screenshot LP!

You may want to do an editing pass, and a proofreading pass for that matter - there are a lot of typos. Not everyone here is gonna be a natural dialogue snob in a translation LP but I don't think lines like "Who is the culprit, you will be the one to deduce it" or "Types where you can't figure out who the damned one is" are gonna cut it.

Other than that, this kind of game is interesting by itself. If it's not been translated before it'll be novel to almost everyone. I don't think LP wants for mystery fans, and I think people would be all over this with the detectiving even if you weren't pushing them to do it. Just... do an SSLP instead of a VLP, and proof/edit better.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

juicedup posted:

Trick x Logic has been on my potential to do list for a long time. It's a game I love, but it's also tough to LP because it's basically reading tough-but-fair short detective stories (that get pretty loving long by the time the game gets going) lacking the punch and using a pretty nice text analysis system to work out the mystery.

I think the only way to do it is as an audience participation LP. I also don't think videos help at all for the main game play stuff (you obviously want them for the animated cutscenes, though).

My thoughts on the game a couple of years ago was to translate the full text of a chapter and drop it in the thread. Some of the game requires Japanese culture knowledge, so I was going to add footnotes beyond the ones that are in the game (a lot of which actually explain western concepts and are pretty silly in a translation). Then, I'd let the thread pick keyword clusters and just put them into the game reporting the results. Once we get into hypotheses, you'd need someone suggesting a combination and then a couple of other people agreeing that it's reasonable. For the actual final solution, I'd make a vote when someone suggests one.

I played through this game a long time ago and I've forgotten most of the mysteries, but one stood out so much I can still remember its kinda controversial gimmick vividly. This game is also very good for discussions about murder mysteries as logic puzzles leaving out stuff like motives entirely out (the game almost seems to want to make a statement out of it, in a weird way).

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Ok. I'll learn how to do screenshot LP, if that's the best way to get feedback asap, it sounds like it would be pretty fun if I do things right.
I hope enough interest spurs up for a fan translation or something.
I want lots of people experience the feeling of solving a murder with your wits.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

orenronen posted:

Trick x Logic has been on my potential to do list for a long time. It's a game I love, but it's also tough to LP because it's basically reading tough-but-fair short detective stories (that get pretty loving long by the time the game gets going) lacking the punch and using a pretty nice text analysis system to work out the mystery.

I think the only way to do it is as an audience participation LP. I also don't think videos help at all for the main game play stuff (you obviously want them for the animated cutscenes, though).

My thoughts on the game a couple of years ago was to translate the full text of a chapter and drop it in the thread. Some of the game requires Japanese culture knowledge, so I was going to add footnotes beyond the ones that are in the game (a lot of which actually explain western concepts and are pretty silly in a translation). Then, I'd let the thread pick keyword clusters and just put them into the game reporting the results. Once we get into hypotheses, you'd need someone suggesting a combination and then a couple of other people agreeing that it's reasonable. For the actual final solution, I'd make a vote when someone suggests one.

I played through this game a long time ago and I've forgotten most of the mysteries, but one stood out so much I can still remember its kinda controversial gimmick vividly. This game is also very good for discussions about murder mysteries as logic puzzles leaving out stuff like motives entirely out (the game almost seems to want to make a statement out of it, in a weird way).

Also translating actual literature isn't easy.
I've never regretted skimping on english so much in my life, when I was translating it.
And I'm horrible at grammar.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

juicedup posted:

Also translating actual literature isn't easy.
I've never regretted skimping on english so much in my life, when I was translating it.
And I'm horrible at grammar.

Most importantly, get an editor or two. I can't even stand to look at stuff I translated when I was doing it completely alone. You'll also get better as you go.

I love this game, so if you want someone to do a pass on the translation I'd be more than happy to (since I know Japanese I can also check for accuracy), but you really also want a native English speaker (which I'm not) for a polish.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

no this is one of those trick images where you're supposed to look at it from an extreme angle to make it look normal right

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The White Dragon posted:

no this is one of those trick images where you're supposed to look at it from an extreme angle to make it look normal right

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

People need to be mindful of those who watch lps on their phone, so you should stretch to 9:16 resolution.

Look at that, how marvelous it is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FeyerbrandX posted:

People need to be mindful of those who watch lps on their phone, so you should stretch to 9:16 resolution.

Look at that, how marvelous it is.

Your video app doesn't turn the picture sideways?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
why the heck wouuld you turn your phone sideways?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

It makes...videos...look better.....?????

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
just :lol: if you don't think this is the pinnacle of video resolution:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Blind Sally posted:

StrixNebulosa posted:

It makes...videos...look better.....?????

You're off your ****ing rocker mate.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:eyepop:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Teledahn posted:

:laffo:

I meant turn it 90 degrees, and I'd take a picture to show you but I can't take a picture of my phone without a spare phone.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I meant turn it 90 degrees, ...

I know. :ssh:

StrixNebulosa posted:

... I can't take a picture of my phone without a spare phone.
Pulled my own phone out and held it as such, then facepalmed facing this exact conundrum.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 14, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I meant turn it 90 degrees, and I'd take a picture to show you but I can't take a picture of my phone without a spare phone.
he did turn it 90 degrees though :confused:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

he did turn it 90 degrees though :confused:

The other way, doofus.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StrixNebulosa posted:

The other way, doofus.

???

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

The other way, doofus.
no, that's 270 degrees

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

just :lol: if you don't think this is the pinnacle of video resolution:

Someone please LP an entire game in 9:16 resolution. Thank you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nihilarian posted:

no, that's 270 degrees
If I'd do 270, I'd go completely around and end up back where I started!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Use a camera.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You should have said clockwise or counterclockwise.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Teledahn posted:

I wish we could goldmine individual posts.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone please LP an entire game in 9:16 resolution. Thank you.

I think a prerequisite to doing an lp like that is a hack/mod to get a higher vertical fov and a lower horizontal fov.
Just resizing it gives you something surprisingly watchable, because it's properly framed but squished versus the awful framing vertical-phone recordings normally get you.

https://puu.sh/vkdBu/81b5b24033.webm

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
So BBcode looks simple and all, but is there a faster way to do it?
I didn't see any guides in the techsupport fort about how to make screenshot lps.
Are you just supposed to wing it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

juicedup posted:

So BBcode looks simple and all, but is there a faster way to do it?
I didn't see any guides in the techsupport fort about how to make screenshot lps.
Are you just supposed to wing it?

Here's a rough guide I post when this comes up. Probably needs some tweaking and updating but it'll do for a start.

quote:

My Full Process:

1. Record footage using the emulator's AVI recording function, or OBS/Shadowplay/FRAPS/Hypercam 2 if it has none/a crappy one.

2. Use AvsPmod to take screenshots, using AviSynth to resize/crop where appropriate. Trim functions are useful for making GIFs (I use "Save Image Sequence" in a separate folder and drop all the images in GIF Movie Gear, though GifCam and GoonCam are much better alternatives these days since they're actually free) and for making supplemental videos (after I resize to over 720p because Youtube is finicky as hell) to stick into MeGUI.

3. Use Irfanview to rename all my images to 001, 002, 003, etc. Also to convert PNGs to JPGs if the files are large (which they usually are for 3D games). If you're gonna have a mix of animated GIFs and JPGs, I recommend renaming everything to a separate folder, sorting that folder by file type, then selecting all PNGs only and convert them to JPG in your output folder, then move the GIFs manually.

4. Write my update in Notepad ++ with images open in Windows Photo Viewer or Irfanview (which will play animated GIFs), using placeholders for images and characters. [001] for image one, [char1] for Character 1, and so on. If you have characters with multiple faces, FaceCopy may be more convenient and less of a headache to use for characters instead. I also throw in music and video links where appropriate. Notepad's also fine, but Notepad ++ lets me create and use macros to save a bit of time (I set Ctrl/Shift + I to add italic tags, for instance).

5. Upload everything to LPix using ShareX.

6. Save the Rightload links in a different text file, then use Admiral H. Curtiss's wonderful RightloadUrlAutoReplace to do the tedious work of copying and pasting images for me. It's a great idea to keep your character portrait links in this same text file so they get automatically replaced every time you do an update

7. Preview in my topic (Right click - Paste as Plain Text will avoid stuff like auto-adding image and url tags, which can be handy as hell) to make sure everything looks good. When I'm happy, I post.

Things may change based on stuff like OS, software preferences, type of game LPed, and so on. Should be a good starting point, at least.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I would like to recommend zarx264gui as an alternative for MeGUI in the above guidelines. It's more streamlined and far less clunky than MeGUI while still doing the same job in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Thanks guys.
I love the community here. Those ten bucks really are worth it.
I hope my LP goes well, It's too bad I'm not funny like most LPrs from this site.