Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

According to the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife, a properly-licensed person could harvest 25 pounds of sardines each day. Really makes you think of what could be.

I've caught big dines before to use as bait for salmon and ate the ones we didn't use.
Really really good but the bones need to be worked around when you just BBQ them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

According to the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife, a properly-licensed person could harvest 25 pounds of sardines each day. Really makes you think of what could be.

Wild-caught sardines are delicious, and usually huge because they're a heavily managed population after being nearly fished to extinction. We cleaned them and deep-fried them whole and unbreaded. They were probably all between eight inches and a foot. Good eating.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Okay, it's pointless unless you're putting it into long term storage or the last thing you put into it wasn't food.

Real goons will know what I mean. :smug:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
lol what, do you just throw dirty dishes crusted with food back into the cupboard? I'm trying to visualize how the gently caress you don't clean cookware.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I bought the brusnwick 'dines. Unfortunately they were out of sardines in oil. the one's in springwater were pretty bland, but 4 large sardines in the tin made up for it- I've had tins with 5-6 tiny ones which i think were king oscar or another brand before and I rather have the large ones.
Made toast, rubbed garlic in it, put some lettuce on the base then 'dines, olive oil, balsamic, s+p and chilli flakes. Will do again.

Later I remembered Alton Brown doing them with lemon zest and parsley as well. I should have remembered at the time and added them since I had them. Maybe some baby spinach instead of cos lettuce on the base too.
But next time get them in oil or not at all.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 14, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lol what, do you just throw dirty dishes crusted with food back into the cupboard? I'm trying to visualize how the gently caress you don't clean cookware.

I said that I don't bother washing cookware, I still wipe it clean with a paper towel.

I've run into people who are adamant that even rising out a skillet under the tap with plain water is ruinous, so it's not that far up the crazy scale.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I said that I don't bother washing cookware, I still wipe it clean with a paper towel.

I've run into people who are adamant that even rising out a skillet under the tap with plain water is ruinous, so it's not that far up the crazy scale.

If you rinse the skillet while its still piping hot that can warp it, but what the hell kind of community do you live in where everyone is cooking out of rancid pots?
Is that the secret to getting that down-home flavor?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:yikes:

I get tired of washing the pans over and over if I'm using them a lot; if I know I'm going to use a certain one a few hours later for frying again, I'll just wipe it with a paper towel and leave it, but we do all the dishes before we go to bed at least.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I don't brillo my pan but scrubbing it with kosher salt and a paper towel when it's still hot works well and most importantly looks cool.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

Goon project: fishing trawler "Sea Dad"

This is a better idea than most goon projects, though I worry about it capsizing fifty feet from shore.

LingcodKilla posted:

I've caught big dines before to use as bait for salmon and ate the ones we didn't use.
Really really good but the bones need to be worked around when you just BBQ them.

I was hoping that you would have a hot take on this since you actually catch fish and are in WA if I remember correctly. You use a type of net to catch small fish like dines and anchovies, right? My lack of boat access limits my fishing experience so I don't know poo poo about dick.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Wild-caught sardines are delicious, and usually huge because they're a heavily managed population after being nearly fished to extinction. We cleaned them and deep-fried them whole and unbreaded. They were probably all between eight inches and a foot. Good eating.

:yum:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This is a horrible idea if you have any sort of fond on there. That sticks, oxidizes, and burns over time. It goes rancid very quickly, in a day or two.

Also all your food is going to taste exactly the same if you cook it in the same dirty pan.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This is a better idea than most goon projects, though I worry about it capsizing fifty feet from shore.

I was hoping that you would have a hot take on this since you actually catch fish and are in WA if I remember correctly. You use a type of net to catch small fish like dines and anchovies, right? My lack of boat access limits my fishing experience so I don't know poo poo about dick.

:yum:

I've never netted fish. We would catch sardines with sabiki rigs once we found the birds diving on "meatballs".
Apparently there is very good squid fishing near me on the docks. Gonna have to try that out.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This is a horrible idea if you have any sort of fond on there. That sticks, oxidizes, and burns over time. It goes rancid very quickly, in a day or two.

Also all your food is going to taste exactly the same if you cook it in the same dirty pan.

In the rare event that something sticks to the bottom, I remove it with a nylon pan scraper. I was never trying to make it sound like I take a pan with a bunch of sardine tails stuck all over it and a pint of bacon grease pooled up in the bottom and just chuck it in a drawer.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

I'm more concerned about "Load-Bearing Mackerel" being written in multiple places on the schematics.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I'm excited for the endless rounds of bikeshedding.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Keith Atherton posted:

I always miss their Facebook promotions. Is there a a way to find out about those without checking their page every day?

Go to their page and select the option to get notifications when they post.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Male Tears posted:

Go to their page and select the option to get notifications when they post.

Thanks! Did not think to look for the option in the Following submenu

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
If you ever see California Garden tripoli style Tuna

buy that poo poo. This is the most delicious fish in a can I've ever tasted. I don't care if I get mercury poisoning, I'm eating it on toast every other meal for the rest of my life.
Found it at a med/palestinian market. The other flavors are also really good but the tripoli style is like :drat:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

theres a will theres moe posted:

buy that poo poo. This is the most delicious fish in a can I've ever tasted. I don't care if I get mercury poisoning, I'm eating it on toast every other meal for the rest of my life.
Found it at a med/palestinian market. The other flavors are also really good but the tripoli style is like :drat:

If you don't mind, around where do you live? I'd kill to get some spicy canned fishies.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

How much was it, and where was this market? I don't even buy canned tuna anymore since I got into 'dines (and because my wife hates the smell), but I'd totally try this and the smoked variety, too.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ROFL Octopus posted:

If you don't mind, around where do you live? I'd kill to get some spicy canned fishies.

I live near Dayton OH. I got mine at a place called Yaffa Market. I wouldn't mind sending some to within the lower 48 at cost. They're maybe on the upper end of "mildly spicy" but there's more to them than heat.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

How much was it, and where was this market? I don't even buy canned tuna anymore since I got into 'dines (and because my wife hates the smell), but I'd totally try this and the smoked variety, too.

They're ~$4 per can where I buy them. IIRC, in addition to tripoli-style, they've got lemon-pepper and plain. I don't think I saw smoked, but they seem like the kind of place that would order some for you. Also, they smell pretty nice compared to starkist or whatever.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...AE,lf:1,lf_ui:9

e: and they're really little fileted up slices of nice whole tuna. probably 4-5 mm thick, slices as long as the can. two stacks of four or so per can.

Szechuan
Mar 3, 2008
I think I found the perfect fridge for you folks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gotta keep your perch fresh!

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Just ate my first dine(s)

What have I been doing with my life

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

simmyb posted:

Not getting enough Omega 3 fatty acids is what.

Welcome.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

simmyb posted:

One of us

ONE OF US

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

simmyb posted:

DETAILS PLEASE

What brand? How did you eat them?

ARE YOU A DAD??

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

pahuyuth posted:

DETAILS PLEASE

What brand? How did you eat them?

ARE YOU A DAD??

King Oscars I oil, over the sink with my fingers

I got a fork out but it seemed kinda pointless.

Definitely not a dad:)

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Did you eat the bones?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

simmyb posted:

King Oscars I oil, over the sink with my fingers

I got a fork out but it seemed kinda pointless.

Definitely not a dad:)

The KO med style is mega tasty and a narrow spork is best to eat with.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Chopsticks are the perfect sardine utensil imo.

vvv lol, touché

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 20, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Chopsticks are the perfect sardine utensil imo.

Slurping juice from a can is uncouth.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got home late tonight, and my next-door neighbor had some friends over, celebrating his birthday by cooking up some fresh clams and oysters on his outdoor grill. He invited me over, so what was I gonna do, not go? I had a few and they were delicious, and it was the best part of my day.

But then I got home and was still hungry, so I found a can of smoked baby clams in oil and had those too. I also have cans of smoked mussels and oysters, in addition to my 'dine collection. Gotta pick up some Riga sprats soon, for my massive taste test.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I got some King Oscars last night, and was pleasantly surprised how much smaller and more snackable they are than the Beach Cliffs or Wild Planets. Also these dines still had their little tails on :3:
Gotta cut back on the chili sauce tho, my butt's on fire rn

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Anybody had Northern Catch dines from Aldis? I got some of the mustard sauce kind. 89 cent budget dines.

EDIT: Also why was the thread closed and re-opened and why did OP not want it re-opened?

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 28, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Anybody had Northern Catch dines from Aldis? I got some of the mustard sauce kind. 89 cent budget dines.

EDIT: Also why was the thread closed and re-opened and why did OP not want it re-opened?

There is no Aldi where I live so I couldn't say for sure, but I am interested to hear your dine report. And I think that Sheep-Goats closed the thread and deleted the OP in protest when some GBS superstars got 100k probations last month. A mod reopened it, apparently against his wishes, and here we are.

I'm still thinkin' bout them dines, though the thread has slowed down considerably in the absence of Sheep-Goats and his insistence on 500 degree fisherman's eggs.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Agreed. I miss sheep goats. Please come back... we miss you and your ideas.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

He lives on in Valhalla, eating canned fishes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I received two free coupons from King Oscar, one for the April Fool's Day contest, and one for finding a mistake on their website. I drove to an out-of-the-way grocery store I never go to (Winn-Dixie) to get two cans of the Cross-Pack 'dines, since nobody else around here carries them. Can't wait to finally try them and compare them to the regular double-layer KOs and my mysterious Peruvian "sardinillas."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
My kids went on a school trip to Spain and brought back a bunch of cans of "El Viejo Pescador" sardines, I was so proud of them. Haven't cracked one open yet.