Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone waiting on the new Prey?

It looks like super generic sci fi stuff.

It's written by Avellone, which may be good or bad to some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For what it's worth, the Scorpio's got a pretty decent chance of failing just because of it's high specs. Microsoft hasn't exactly garnered third-party support for the XbOne, and making HD games are expensive for a bunch of reasons, so trying to jump the PS4 with something that'll be even more expensive to produce for (or even just buying the console itself) isn't exactly going to do anyone any favours when studios can dump titles on PS4 (or even the Switch) and hit a sizeable playerbase for a decent return.

Fuzz posted:

It's written by Avellone, which may be good or bad to some.

I'm curious about Prey, but going to wait and see how it reviews before going anywhere near it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Real hurthling! posted:

The enemies hide as random objects and you need to glue them down and then shoot them.

I just hope those aren't the only type of enemy in the game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm still salty about Prey 2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

I just hope those aren't the only type of enemy in the game.

once you flush them out they can be different scary monster forms i'd wager

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm curious about Prey, but going to wait and see how it reviews before going anywhere near it.

It's gonna be generic, bland trash.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still salty about Prey 2.

Same. There is so much gameplay footage from E3 2011 it's sad that a publisher would just drop a game that's so far along with development. It's definitely a common thing in the industry, but still, drat.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Prey looks pretty cool, definitely going to play it. After DH1 and 2, I'll give another Arkane game a shot for sure. Also, I'm a sucker for those types of settings.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is World of Final Fantasy fixed on Pro?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Finished Nier. All the major endings and most sidequests that I could find/figure out.

33 hours.

drat fine game. Stared at my screen for a long time before doing the right thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is World of Final Fantasy fixed on Pro?

Yes, patch finally came out a couple months ago after weeks and weeks of radio silence from SE.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Real hurthling! posted:

The enemies hide as random objects and you need to glue them down and then shoot them.

You can like, turn into a roll of toilet paper and poo poo. I'm in.

Yall are talking about what you pay for games and stuff but I've had Gamefly for almost 10 years at this point and can't imagine otherwise. I never buy new releases unless it's a slam-dunk never-trade like GTA5 or something that I know will last me months like FIFA.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The PSVR is sweet as hell even just for normal games. It's like playing games in a movie theater all to yourself.

It's cool but kinda gimmicky. I mean, I wouldn't want to play a non-VR game or watch a movie like that for any duration. I think the next few iterations of VR will definitely be a lot better. The resolution in particular is pretty meh

I haven't touched mine in a while. Not sure if I'll keep it or what

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hardware fanboy poo poo is getting redundant because games look so good now it's really "amazing looking vs. amazing looking with some extra bells and whistles". Looking at those graphics comparison videos or switching around pro modes feels like where's waldo where last gen it was like "poo poo consoles are looking pretty rough"

I feel like it's a good time for games to start evolving into a more developed form of art instead of just constant minor tech improvements. Not that it isn't something that is driven by technology and it will always require some sort of upgrades, but the whole FPS/resolution deal is such a stupid thing to fixate on.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just bought one of these, and I love it. https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Assault-Commander-Controller-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01JTOWU0K

I don't know what that has to do with the PC v PS4 but I love having it for CoD or Overwatch or whatever.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Bought Bloodborne today and a second copy of Titanfall 2 to lend out. Will I be a souls convert? The future knows!

I'm def. excited for a game wherein victory feels earned. gently caress ffxv.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Has anyone bought a hard case for transporting a PS4 controller that they recommend? I've just been tossing it in my pack to use on the road with remote play, but it occurs to me I could be more cautious. Bonus points if the case has space for the cord.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It's cool but kinda gimmicky. I mean, I wouldn't want to play a non-VR game or watch a movie like that for any duration. I think the next few iterations of VR will definitely be a lot better. The resolution in particular is pretty meh

I haven't touched mine in a while. Not sure if I'll keep it or what
I haven't used any of the more expensive VR headsets but the PSVR has shown me that I really don't care much about resolution as long as the frame rate is high and the game is good to look at artistically. I've used it for hours and hours just on my current games like P5 and Titanfall 2.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'm going to spend a lot of time with some brilliant ps4 games today, Nier, Yakuza, Titanfall 2, Horizon.

Meanwhile my expensive gaming pc will be streaming dota 2 matches and fast speedy race cars.

Thug life.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nichol posted:

Bought Bloodborne today and a second copy of Titanfall 2 to lend out. Will I be a souls convert? The future knows!

I'm def. excited for a game wherein victory feels earned. gently caress ffxv.

Congrats on having good videogame taste. The Bloodborne thread likes newbies so don't forget to post status updates.

The sky and the cosmos are one. :cthulhu:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Turtlicious posted:

I just bought one of these, and I love it. https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Assault-Commander-Controller-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01JTOWU0K

I don't know what that has to do with the PC v PS4 but I love having it for CoD or Overwatch or whatever.

The growing popularity of those kinds of gadgets is part of the reason why I decided to try PC gaming again. If I'm gonna get wrecked by kb/m on RS Siege I might as well have a level playing field. And can still do it from the couch with a Roccat Sova.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Fix posted:

Has anyone bought a hard case for transporting a PS4 controller that they recommend? I've just been tossing it in my pack to use on the road with remote play, but it occurs to me I could be more cautious. Bonus points if the case has space for the cord.

i'd suggest a pelican case or an eggcrate case for for a handgun or something along those lines

edit: I'M A DUMBASS

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 16, 2017

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i'd suggest a pelican case or an eggcrate case for for a handgun or something along those lines

I think you quoted the wrong post, but I'll keep this in mind

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i sure did thanks

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Did they ever fix the Batman remasters for PS4 or are they still a broken mess?

Also, I hope Yakuza 6 has made some improvements, because I just finished Yakuza 5 and it felt like a bloated mess. Way too many drat characters and the game just drags in a lot of places. Also, if I have to hear about "Dreams" one more drat time...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The growing popularity of those kinds of gadgets is part of the reason why I decided to try PC gaming again. If I'm gonna get wrecked by kb/m on RS Siege I might as well have a level playing field. And can still do it from the couch with a Roccat Sova.

Get a XIM.

Anyone used the new version 2 controller? Was debating grabbing another since my launch one, while fine, is getting lonely.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Fuzz posted:

Get a XIM.

Anyone used the new version 2 controller? Was debating grabbing another since my launch one, while fine, is getting lonely.

It shows the light bar through the big mashy button and seems to (?) have a longer battery life. Otherwise I haven't noticed much difference when I switch between it and my 20th anniversary controller.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bloodychill posted:

It shows the light bar through the big mashy button and seems to (?) have a longer battery life. Otherwise I haven't noticed much difference when I switch between it and my 20th anniversary controller.

Battery life is the same (1000mAh) as the DS4 V1, it just has that light bar.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

blackguy32 posted:

Did they ever fix the Batman remasters for PS4 or are they still a broken mess?

Also, I hope Yakuza 6 has made some improvements, because I just finished Yakuza 5 and it felt like a bloated mess. Way too many drat characters and the game just drags in a lot of places. Also, if I have to hear about "Dreams" one more drat time...

The batman games are pretty fine.they patched them to run a bit better on the pro. It's not perfect but it's still more playable than last gen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm the guy who dropped $1300 on a top of the line high end gaming PC that I bought piece by piece and lovingly assembled...

But I have no loving idea what Anti-Aliasing, Occulent Occlusion, or most of that poo poo means/does. I install games, I max out every setting, and most games just go. DE:MD runs suuuuuuper chunky and slow and I feel like I'm playing on an old time movie reel, and turning all the settings down doesn't appear to affect it at all, so I wish I knew what else I could tweak to make it work...

Meanwhile the dishonored 2 demo feels like a painting, everything is crisp and clear. The Witcher 3 with no mods is the prettiest game I've ever played and makes Skyrim look like loving dogshit.

In 8 years of PC gaming, the only flub Ive ever had was RAGE, it released but literally just DID NOT work on AMD cards until they finally got AMD to patch in support almost 2 months after release, and by then I was so salty that I'd paid 50% for a physical copy of a game that I just couldn't play, I told myself "Never Again" and now I wait for reviews... Neir:A is the first game I've bought on release since then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anti-aliasing: smooths out jagged edges on objects.
Ambient Occlusion: more objects in the game world cast their own shadow, makes them pop out more

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Anti-aliasing: smooths out jagged edges on objects.
Ambient Occlusion: more objects in the game world cast their own shadow, makes them pop out more

A blessing in your house, Senpai

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

veni veni veni posted:

Hardware fanboy poo poo is getting redundant because games look so good now it's really "amazing looking vs. amazing looking with some extra bells and whistles". Looking at those graphics comparison videos or switching around pro modes feels like where's waldo where last gen it was like "poo poo consoles are looking pretty rough"

I feel like it's a good time for games to start evolving into a more developed form of art instead of just constant minor tech improvements. Not that it isn't something that is driven by technology and it will always require some sort of upgrades, but the whole FPS/resolution deal is such a stupid thing to fixate on.

Frames and resolution are hard numbers so they're the easiest way to brag about the pure superiority of one machine for playing video games over another. It'll never go away as long as most gamers are sad manchildren.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Frames are actually kind of a big deal not just for looks, but for the performance + control of games that require tight response times. That's why pros will play Overwatch with all settings on low @ 144hz and no v-sync if they need to reduce input lag, as only one example.

As for other metrics like resolution, well... once you get into hobbyist PC gaming and you've seen the glory of 1440p with stuff like G-Sync, it can be hard to go back.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
So i got £40 in psn credit for my birthday, nothing in the sale screams at me except Nioh but id like a physical copy of that eventually.

What are the strongest digital only titles? Already have Rocket League and Resogun. Particularly loved spelunky and isaac on pc.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I see this argument often and honestly wonder if people have eyes or just poor visual memories or what.

I finally started playing Arkham Knight on PC and it literally has extra shader effects out the rear end (just like every Arkham game) and looks a lot different because of the better lighting effects. Runs fine on my old rear end computer now, too, so I guess they patched it. But yeah, that game is over a year old.

Witcher 3 was the same way... there's resolution poo poo which is one thing and honestly I can agree with people that don't care that much about 4K our whatever because jaggies never bother me much over 720p. That said, Witcher 3's lighting, weather, and even just the clothing and hair of characters look so much better on PC it's ridonkulous.

Even stuff like Shadow of Mordor benefits from the extra power, since it continues to render enemies and poo poo at far distances. On PS4 you'll see a pretty vista, sure, but on PC it's that same gorgeous vista with some nice fog and like 200 Orcs all patrolling across it, hundreds of meters away from you. It literally feels like you're stepping into the LOTR movies at times.

This is not even touching framerate, where often you can pretty easily get PC games locked at 60fps+ if they're ported/patched well. This is the case for Witcher 3, which had some absolutely beautiful animations and looks amazing when you're playing at 60fps.

So yeah, texture memory and resolution wise consoles can mostly match up, but you're literally missing out on graphical features with them vs a PC. A lot of console people seem to not realize this because so many YouTube and twitch people have lovely computers and can't run things totally maxed out the rear end, but that's the way it is. Half the "TRUE MAX HD 60FPS L337 PC H4X" YouTube videos are either not running at full settings or are uploaded stupidly with a lovely capture card that drops frames.

Not PC Master Racing, but seriously... if you state that opinion you're objectively wrong and just advertising that you literally are not noticing often profound visual differences that have nothing to do with texture quality or resolution, which arguably can be hard to notice differences in.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 16, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are honestly people who cannot tell the difference between the visual quality of consoles and PC, which is good for them, but if you're attentive to the added fidelity PC can bring then it's going to be really obvious. But at the same time, to get the kind of visuals that PCs are capable of, you have to spend a lot of money. I think everybody who is into PC gaming can at least admit that it's a stupid, expensive hobby that ultimately amounts to paying hundreds of dollars more to lovingly render Novigrad at a slightly better draw distance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why not get... both :cool:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No joke, the PS4 is the premiere indie game console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
build a PC for a million dollars