Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

nitrogen posted:

I got sideswiped in the I90 tunnel in boston in my rental car by a truck that was really intent on not letting me merge into his lane.

gently caress this city and all of its drivers.

Sorry :( How's the insurance going to shake out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Yeah, driving in Boston always seemed like it was a competition rather than a mode of conveyance.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Eat This Glob posted:

Yeah, driving in Boston always seemed like it was a competition rather than a mode of conveyance.

Eat or be eaten. When I was dating my now wife she was living up there just off Comm Ave in Alston and I would routinely ride my motorcycle up there instead of my car and people thought I was insane. Really though it just gave people a smaller target to hit, plus it gave me more options to escape danger if I really had to. The real insane people are the ones who ride bicycles around that city. It's like they're asking for it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I learned how to drive in Boston so anywhere else I've ever driven (except France, gently caress driving in France) has been a cakewalk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bxOVtV1rs

:siren: poo poo music warning :siren:

The Pittsburgh Left is cool & good.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Thanks for telling me about the Pittsburg Left. Had someone do it in front of me at a light and I knew what was going on. It saved me from accelerating too hard. I felt like a grown up for about three seconds but then the moment passed.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

No. Go slam your hand in a car door.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Platystemon posted:

I can almost forgive that terrible music for the beauty of boning that guy in the intersection like that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Platystemon posted:

If lived near boston, I'd buy some beat up cherokees and subarus, get a dash cam, max out my under-insured coverage, and floor it out of every intersection.
Then with the money, I'd stop commuting way too far around massholes.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Michael Scott posted:

Sorry :( How's the insurance going to shake out?

Work has insurance to handle this, we'll see how it all shakes out though.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

For the goon who asked, no I didn't go to Italy. That's a potential "lolnope" place when it comes to driving, like Paris is.

iospace posted:

Wait, old people hooning it up? Why can't they all drive fast when they're that old here in the states?

Eh not quite. I'd overtake them at 130kph and then a couple of minutes later they'd whizz by me easily doing 160kph, then go back in front of me and slowly decelerate until I have to overtake them to maintain my speed. Rinse and repeat for the next 20 mins until they took an exit road.

More fun on French roads yesterday. I'm doing the limit on a dual lane autoroute (130kph), and I am shooting past all the other cars. They must have all been doing no more than 115 or something. I felt like your stereotypical BMW driver racing up the outside lane past everyone, but was actually not exceeding the limit.

So the motorway goes by Lille and there's this huge section where it's got about 6 lanes and 4 potential destinations, Lille, Dunkirk, entry and exit roads etc, and because of this the limit drops to 90kph.

Suddenly all those French cars I had shot by earlier reappeared, all doing about 130 in this very busy section of road where everyone is switching multiple lanes at a time, and flying around like it's Mario Kart or something. Absolute chaos.

So we get in the right lane, exit onto an autoroute headed for Dunkirk, and the limit goes back up to 130kph and next thing I know I'm shooting past all the maniacs who were all over the place a few minutes before.

Makes no sense I swear.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl1X4hmr8dQ

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

My city started updating heavy-use lefts with new timings and patterns (a lot of flashing yellows).

The latest signal timing encourages Pittsburgh Lefts. :eng99:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe a speed camera thing?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Welp this does it. I need to get a dash cam.

I was driving down the road pictured below.

I was in the right lane heading in the direction the camera is facing, and about 150-200ft in front of me was a truck pulling a huge three axle bulk dump trailer. Not the construction type, but the bigger ones for lighter cargo.

Between me and the truck in the left lane was an SUV slowly overtaking the truck, and I was catching up to both of them. We were all doing between 45 and 50 mph.

The truck somehow hosed up taking that gentle right turn, and put the right wheels of his trailer off the road into the dirt. The trailer started to tip over off the road, snagged the chain link fence and ripped some of it down, knocking over a couple poles. A huge dust cloud shot up the second the wheels hit the dirt, but I could clearly see the left side wheels on the trailer start to lift off the ground. The trucker corrected hard and somehow got the trailer back on the road and kept it from tipping, but the action was so violent it swung across both lanes and almost into the oncoming traffic, tipping up on its left wheels this time, before it slammed back down and he somehow got it back in line. Both the SUV and I slammed on the brakes as soon as he started going off the road, which saved the SUV from being punted into oncoming traffic when the trailer swung back across his lane.

I do not for the life of me know how that guy didn't flip the drat thing either into the field or the oncoming lanes, but I wish I'd caught it on video.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Let's just sit in the middle of the road and straddle the center line, nope, don't even worry about a turn signal either. Happy Easter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WnBLE3vWSs

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

He was shifted over so cars in his direction could pass by while he waited to turn left. You had plenty of room, his only mistake was forgetting his turn signal. Chill.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

He was shifted over so cars in his direction could pass by while he waited to turn left. You had plenty of room, his only mistake was forgetting his turn signal. Chill.

Which would be cool if he didn't come head-on into my lane to do it. The horn/brights with the brakes were so he'd stay right where he was.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Not sure where you live, but everywhere that I know of, it's illegal to be on the wrong side of that double yellow line. So no, the turn signal was not his only mistake.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NoWake posted:

Let's just sit in the middle of the road and straddle the center line, nope, don't even worry about a turn signal either. Happy Easter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WnBLE3vWSs

You sure showed him by being aggressive and hugging the yellow line so you could feel victimized by his courtesy towards other drivers traveling in the same direction as him. I bet he'll think twice before trying that again.

How are you though, that seems pretty scary, are you shaken up? That seems like quite the jarring event, coming that close to having to move to the other side of the lane to carry on with your drive. It's a good thing you had that horn, I can't imagine what could have happened without it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think it’s a misguided attempt at being courteous.

If enough people react like NoWake and slow way down, it has a net negative effect on the flow of traffic. But I don’t sit in the middle of the road so I don’t know how often people react like that.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_2mq1QAYIo&t=6s

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 16, 2017

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This thread: defending literally every obvious idiot so we don't have to feel bad about being lovely drivers.

Law where I'm from and where I've been says the same as what Locator mentioned. That guy was an idiot, NoWake is totally in the right to react and to post.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ya that's not courtesy, that's dumb.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If blocking traffic is a legit concern on that road, city should really consider finishing the widening project and making a left turn lane. They got plenty of room on both sides.

Doesn't really excuse the dork crossing a double yellow though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Krakkles posted:

This thread: defending literally every obvious idiot so we don't have to feel bad about being lovely drivers.

Law where I'm from and where I've been says the same as what Locator mentioned. That guy was an idiot, NoWake is totally in the right to react and to post.

The law says to do 60 when the speed limit sign says 60, I doubt anybody here would deplore doing 70 in a 60 when the traffic is flowing at 70. You're breaking the law in order to not impede traffic. I would imagine that guy has waited there to make a turn with traffic intending to travel straight puling up behind him numerous time, and is breaking the law in order not to impede traffic.

You can see nowake is traveling with the edge of his hood nearly on the yellow line until he spots the horrible monster moments before getting on the horn, and immediately moves over towards the yellow line to create interference. He acts aggressively making a mountain out of a molehill using the word of the law as his justification. The equivalent of the guy doing 60 in the fast lane in that first scenario because the world of the law says everybody should be doing 60.

It's the automotive equivalent of demanding to see the manager because there was a hair on your food.

The guy is literally hitler for not having his signal light on, but that's not worth steering towards him standing on your horn. That's the most pathetic attitude.

xzzy posted:

If blocking traffic is a legit concern on that road, city should really consider finishing the widening project and making a left turn lane. They got plenty of room on both sides.

Doesn't really excuse the dork crossing a double yellow though.

It's quite a regular thing around here on 2 lane roads for vehicles facing a wait to turn to create enough space for traffic going straight to get by them. It's traffic breaking the word of the law to work around poor road design, otherwise you get traffic coming to a stop at every driveway.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

:lol:

You have very strong feelings on the right to travel on the wrong side of the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Krakkles posted:

:lol:

You have very strong feelings on the right to travel on the wrong side of the road.

It's more that people going out of their way to feel inconvenienced is a pet peeve. It seems to be more common now that people seem to do it for social media sympathy.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Powershift posted:

The guy is literally hitler for not having his signal light on, but that's not worth steering towards him standing on your horn. That's the most pathetic attitude.
Pretty much this. Get over yourself, there was no need to act like a cop with anger issues.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Powershift posted:

It's more that people going out of their way to feel inconvenienced is a pet peeve. It seems to be more common now that people seem to do it for social media sympathy.
That part I can agree with, but being on the wrong side of the double yellow anywhere there could possibly be other traffic around is a much bigger "pet peeve" to me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Krakkles posted:

That part I can agree with, but being on the wrong side of the double yellow anywhere there could possibly be other traffic around is a much bigger "pet peeve" to me.

Yeah, comparing driving on the wrong side to going the same speed as the flow of traffic is...a bit out there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Krakkles posted:

You're making it sound like being stopped with 2 wheels over the line i the same as driving down the center of the opposing lane. What he was doing is pretty normal on 2 lane roads with a shoulder here. I've never heard anybody complain about it before.

It's not a "this is my lane, i shall defend it with my life" situation. Even if the guy did it entirely out of ignorance, steering towards him with the horn blaring is the dumbest thing in that video.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Offset crashes are deadlier than straight‐on crashes, so straddling the centreline is in one way worse than driving entirely on the wrong side of the road.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

steering towards him with the horn blaring is the dumbest thing in that video.

No arguments there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of dash cams, any recommendations on what to get if I'm interested in one?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of dash cams, any recommendations on what to get if I'm interested in one?

There's an actual dash cam thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

I use an A118-c/A119-c and like it.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Platystemon posted:

Offset crashes are deadlier than straight‐on crashes, so straddling the centreline is in one way worse than driving entirely on the wrong side of the road.

Truth and they would've owned each other

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The road looks like it's wide enough to do that manoeuvre and have one car slightly over the line, giving enough room for traffic behind to come up the inside, while the widened section at the junction on the oncoming side of the road looks like it gives enough room for opposing traffic to run slightly wide as necessary.

Under the circumstances, I think the SUV driver made ta reasonable decision with a poor piece of road design. Yes, he broke the law by crossing the double yellow. So what.

The purpose of such road markings is to prevent overtaking in areas where it would be dangerous, in this case, while passing a junction. And that brings us back to:

Powershift posted:

You're making it sound like being stopped with 2 wheels over the line i the same as driving down the center of the opposing lane. What he was doing is pretty normal on 2 lane roads with a shoulder here. I've never heard anybody complain about it before.

It's not a "this is my lane, i shall defend it with my life" situation. Even if the guy did it entirely out of ignorance, steering towards him with the horn blaring is the dumbest thing in that video.

Sorry, NoWake, you need to chill a bit. A lot of driving is more about fitting in with what everyone else is doing than sticking rigidly to rules (except when a cop or camera is around to enforce them, at which point you kind of have to play the game even if it's dumb and prescreptive). Especially, it really doesn't matter if you're in the right if you're hurt/dead and/or your car's hosed up.

The guy shouldn't have done what he did, but not because of crossing the line specifically. More that it wasn't 100% clear what he was up to, which makes oncoming traffic more likely to do something unpredictable.

Content. Here's someone really loving up at a junction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLBuedP9rQA

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Powershift posted:

you are too stupid for words

feel free to walk in front of a truck at any time

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Powershift posted:

No, no, no, no. Just wrong. You do not cross the double yellow line. Not a little bit not a lot, you do NOT do it. Being "just two wheels over" dramatically increases the chances for an accident, and since it would be an edge-on accident instead of head-on it would be an especially nasty one. As much as it sucks the proper procedure there would have been to just stop in his lane, admittedly blocking traffic, until he could turn. Do you not remember the video from a few pages ago where the cop did exactly that (and then got T-boned by a moron who did a multiple-car pass)? That cop was following proper procedure, the idiot with two wheels over was not and was endangering people with his bullshit.

Powershift posted:

Even if the guy did it entirely out of ignorance, steering towards him with the horn blaring is the dumbest thing in that video.

That being said, this is entirely correct. Guy was incredibly wrong to sit two wheels over the yellow line. Poster was even more wrong to road rage and intentionally aim his car at another in response. So many more things could have gone wrong. Poster could have mis-judged the distance and not turned back in time, the turning car could have been surprised and accidentally accelerated into poster's path (especially possible if the other car was one of those people who drives one foot for each pedal), in his anger poster's hand slips off of the wheel. Etc. etc. poo poo happens and the poster was even more wrong and irresponsible acting this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

huge pile of hamburger posted:

you are too stupid for words

feel free to walk in front of a truck at any time

Do you intentionally get in accidents because you would be in the legal right?

Seriously. I personally won't cross the center line when turning left in a place that doesn't have a go-around thingy on the right on a 2 lane road, but I'll sure as poo poo hug it and maybe have a mirror over it. I won't do that if there is a semi coming the other way or some other vehicle that wouldn't trivially be able to move slightly to the right side of their lane. Crossing the lines to do it isn't something I would personally do but I can understand the reasoning behind it and it's hardly death threat worthy, jesus. There's plenty of room to move to the right of the lane in that video. Should the person have crossed the line? No, not really. But it's not like it falls on the horribly dangerous heinous side of things unless they quick surprise dart over it right in front of someone.

Edit: This falls into the "not my favorite way" thing. You could easily move over to the right side of the lane very safely and with plenty of room, but it's not your favorite way.

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 16, 2017