Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Beast of Hollow Mountain has my favorite skit of the season so far.
The completely unexplained strange costumed/dancing Crow and Servo
Also whoever does the Elvis Costello voice makes me chuckle

"WHO MUST WE KILL TO SLAKE YOUR ANGERRRRRR?!" was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Beast of Hollow Mountain has my favorite skit of the season so far.
The completely unexplained strange costumed/dancing Crow and Servo
Also whoever does the Elvis Costello voice makes me chuckle

I loved that skit so much. Isn't Tom Servo's fashion presentation in that episode, too? That was another strong one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stempunk bots are best bots

"Gluing some gears on a hat turns low self-esteem into high self-eSTEAM PUNK"

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 16, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Just read through 15 drat pages to make sure nobody else mentioned these subtle references I dig.

1) "Push the button, Max!" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Igz5SfBCE&hd=1

2) Jonah Heston - Joel chose Robinson as his character name to ape Swiss Family Robinson/Lost In Space. I assume Jonah's character's name is a Planet of the Apes reference.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The ufo song in Star Crashers was good stuff.

During the first 2-3 episodes there were some moments where the riffs were delivered just a moment before the thing they were reacting to happened, which was a little jarring.

I don't think I've noticed that happening since (now on episode 7).

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I finished Carnival Magic. I have no idea how to feel about it as a movie, but I guess it's somehow more exciting than the movie with the avalanche.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Compendium posted:

I finished Carnival Magic. I have no idea how to feel about it as a movie, but I guess it's somehow more exciting than the movie with the avalanche.

And that's Carnival Magic!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That sequel to Wizards of the Lost Kingdom had nothing to do with the first one!

You're the wizard now, dawg!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The new set is actually a little bland but the cast is great. The humor is spot on old school MST3K. It's excellent. I didn't much care for the new corridor shot at first but it's actually really cool and full of fun little details.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hey, Digger Smolkin is in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2

And Captain Spaulding!

Edit: 2/3 of the way through Wizards 2, and I appreciate that they've avoided the low-hanging fruit of auto-erotic asphyxiation.

So far.

Edit2: Dear god is Kevin's new Bobo mask haunting. It reminds me on the monkey masks from One Got Fat. :stonk:

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 16, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Funny thing about Kalan being a swingin' party super scientist is that anyone who's a fan of the flop house knows he's the biggest teatotaler and not a party dude at all.

"The vodka is already inside!"

Also Avalanche is such a facinating movie. It's clearly Roger Corman trying to ape an Irwin Allen disaster movie like Posiden Adventure or The Towering Inferno, but he completely fucks it up. Those movies the Disaster happens right away, after all the characters are established, and their backstories shown, then most of the movie is the survivors trying to make it out and sometimes the POV of those rescuing them.

Cormen fills the movie with boring shots of skiing and figure skating, pointless romantic subplots and has the crazy guy who's actually right just kinda hang around then the last 20 minutes is the Disaster, with some very lackluster post disaster adventures, though the ambulance going off the bridge is pretty hilarious. The driver was all "icey conditions on a sharp corner? Time to gun this baby!".

I also like how they only made one Rock Hudson is actually gay joke, and it worked because the scene in the movie is so silly, and it was clearly put in there to say "Rock Hudson is not gay".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was the kid drinking a glass of wine at the disco party? I swear he had a glass of white wine.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

Was the kid drinking a glass of wine at the disco party? I swear he had a glass of white wine.

It was definitely a wine glass, and I'm pretty sure it had some not-clear liquid in it. It's probably just sparkling cider ...but he wasn't really being supervised!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The new set is actually a little bland but the cast is great. The humor is spot on old school MST3K. It's excellent. I didn't much care for the new corridor shot at first but it's actually really cool and full of fun little details.

I actually thought the new set background was cg when I first saw it in the trailer. It's way too smooth and unlit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Avalanche is so great, Mia Farrow being flung from the ambulance is one of the funniest bad stunts that's been on the show.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

BigRed0427 posted:

Reptilicus: Ehh, movie itself was kind of boring. I think the problem is most of these giant monster movies are pretty similar and boring. Come for the giant monster loving poo poo up, maybe fight another monster. Stay for the human characters you could give a rats rear end about and watch the director play with his GI Joes.

I agree, though starting MST3K back up with a good old-fashioned monster movie seemed like the right step. But the film was worth it for that shot of Reptilicus eating that one guy via FX that looked like a lovely photoshop, as was said "OK, I am now in awe of this movie" and I had to rewind it to make sure I actually saw that.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

duz posted:

I actually thought the new set background was cg when I first saw it in the trailer. It's way too smooth and unlit.

Part of the problem is the field of view on the old show showed a lot more of the set, and made them feel a lot more present in the space. It looks a lot flatter now, and I'm still not sure it isn't a printed backdrop aside from the theatre door.

Also, I think Bobo's mask is more horrifying now because it's more of a rubber Halloween mask. Makes sense, I'm sure one of Kevin's stipulations was there was no way he'd go through the full makeup process for that thing again.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

I feel like Brain Guy, Bobo, and Pearl were all in weird uncanny valley style make-up.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Oh god, the director of Carnival Magic sounded familiar....he's the directo of "Hell's Bloody Devils"...a bikersploitation film about Nazi bikers, counterfeiting...and starring Colonel Harland Sanders in the most inexplicable cameo ever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Carnival Magic is Cry Wilderness level weird. Why am I supposed to want the weird hypnotist and his talking monkey win? What... are their goals, even?

The Mark Hammill cameo was definitely the best one so far, though. I laughed when he described his experience as sort of Neil Gaiman-y, and it's clear his voice acting work give him the sort of weird flair you need for this kind of a show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

it's the first voice of his that isn't just his Joker voice, although obviously it's almost his Joker voice.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

it's the first voice of his that isn't just his Joker voice, although obviously it's almost his Joker voice.

Play Full Throttle!

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It's such a neat thing that they got to do this. It's cool that some people don't like it as much, but I'd hope everyone can appreciate all the wonderful work that went into it.

All the haphazard sets are great, and it's kinda cool to see how hard it is to make things look like junk nowadays. All the wood carvings were probably done by a laser cutter, which isn't really hard to do or access.

Felicia kills it. Could take or leave Patton but he's alright.

Also yay Har-Mar Superstar!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Ok, I also need The Great Space Circus Show on my playlist now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally watched all of Reptilicus. That had to have the shittiest special effects I've seen in a film. Not only are the effects terrible, every shot of the monster looks like it was shot by Abraham Zapruder.

I love how they kept stacking riffs. "Pee Wee Kissinger" is funny enough, but then they say "Today's magic word is CARPET BOMB! YAAAAAY!"

Perfect stinger. I was expecting the bit with the monster eating the paper doll, but the eel clip is hilarious out of context.

Hopefully I can get through one a day starting Monday since these can only get better.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I love every time the band plays Living In Deep 13. I just grin like crazy.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

In Avalanche, why does the photographer guy shoot a missile at the mountain during the ski race? It doesn't cause the avalanche, and no one seems to bring it up ever again. It's like a random snippet thrown in for zero reason at all. Unless I zoned out, I don't think I missed anything.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Mesozoic Grill sketch is my favorite host segment so far.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Can't begin to describe how pissed I am that the ski lodge owner survived.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LabyaMynora posted:

In Avalanche, why does the photographer guy shoot a missile at the mountain during the ski race? It doesn't cause the avalanche, and no one seems to bring it up ever again. It's like a random snippet thrown in for zero reason at all. Unless I zoned out, I don't think I missed anything.

He's apparently trying to trigger smaller avalanches to clear off some of the snow. Like controlled burning of forests.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Maxwell Lord posted:

Agree, that's probably my favorite sketch so far.

I really liked The Land That Time Forgot, the jokes landed so good (to me).

Serves cooked dinosaur to main character
Now that's a Paleo-diet!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

He's apparently trying to trigger smaller avalanches to clear off some of the snow. Like controlled burning of forests.

Thanks, this was driving me nuts.

Also, random thought - The Beast of Hollow Mountain makes me believe that somewhere out there is a movie that begins as a Dinosaur/Giant Monster movie and ends as a Western Melodrama. I'm pretty sure that through some mixup, two scripts ended up swapping their third acts.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

LabyaMynora posted:

Also, random thought - The Beast of Hollow Mountain makes me believe that somewhere out there is a movie that begins as a Dinosaur/Giant Monster movie and ends as a Western Melodrama. I'm pretty sure that through some mixup, two scripts ended up swapping their third acts.

(slowly looks up from a copy of cowboys versus aliens' script with a distant expression)

We've made a terrible mistake.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

tbh I think he sounds more like Weinstein Servo.

I find he sounds a bit like Billy West doing an impression of Charlton Heston doing an interpretation of Kevin Murphy's cadence.

I'm cool with the new voice though, because I really didn't want someone doing a bad impression of Kevin Murphy and just reminding me he's not Kevin Murphy. It's different enough that I'd adjusted by episode 5 and it seems natural to my ears.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think Tom voice needs to be a LITTLE more distinct, but it's not bad and the joke delivery improves.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think Tom's voice needs a little more... I dunno, brassiness? It's like at a volume of 3 and I think 6-7 would be better. Hard to describe.

"Mexican child services is haw-t."

I love that delivery.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
OH MY GOD I AM LEGITIMATELY ANGRY AT THIS CHRISTMAS MOVIE!!!

Jesus loving Christ Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny wasn't this goddamn annoying. Although "We kill the Batman!" was a good joke. But FUUUUUUUUCK THIS MOVIE AND SANTA'S CREEPY CROTCH ACCOUNTANT!!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

OH MY GOD I AM LEGITIMATELY ANGRY AT THIS CHRISTMAS MOVIE!!!

Jesus loving Christ Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny wasn't this goddamn annoying. Although "We kill the Batman!" was a good joke. But FUUUUUUUUCK THIS MOVIE AND SANTA'S CREEPY CROTCH ACCOUNTANT!!

Tee hee I'm a baby!

Now the button is on. I'm not a baby when the button is on alright?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

o/~ Never should have tampered in God's domain. Moon 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

LabyaMynora posted:

Yeah, it's a real thing that gets done with recoilless rifles, howitzers, or sometimes even just dynamite suspended on a cable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_BPcqIL0KY