Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Just did Eventide Island after totally forgetting about its gimmick and just stumbling out to it.

It was no big deal, did it on the first try.

Then, when I finished it off and was collecting stuff something hysterical happened.

I found a tide pool just off the island. I went out to it and noticed like 7 bass in it. Right as I was about to huck a bomb in, it started to storm and lightening struck the pool (or perhaps the chest in it) and killed the fish for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Is there someplace that lists where the best place to farm for certain materials is? Such as Stealthfin Trout, etc. I've beaten the DB and now I want to upgrade all my armor. Also I'm curious on the drop rates for others. For instance I need an assload of Bokoblin Guts to upgrade my Hylian armor. What is the percentage that that drops? I have very specific fashion that I want to be wearing when I beat Ganon. (Not "-of the Wild" because those clothes are ugly.)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yes, it's the Hyrule Compendium. You take a picture of an item and it tells you the places it is most likely to show up.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Phantasium posted:

And then being able to find the small bit of land from GTA3 in San Andreas (or the notion that the indoor areas where just super high above the map, so if you could get the jetpack to fly over the flight limit you could just find gyms in the sky and poo poo).

I wonder how much of this plays into the lack of any real (aside from Hyrule Castle) buildings/structures. Places that aren't small hovels and the like, due to the fact that in previous games most (?) instances of indoor areas would have to be loaded inside their own tiny cell separate from the over-world. Even then the parts that make up the over-worlds would be their own individual cells, including titles like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. But in BOTW everything aside was made with an "open-air" concept in mind, no loading aside from the shrines and when you fast travel.

That also probably explains the lack of any sort of meaningful caves aside from a select few sections that some of us were probably hoping for. The game world was designed first and they never intended or never found a way to make a sort of underground fit. Which explains the bite-sized shrines and even the Divine Beasts as the fill-ins for proper temples.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does sand seal surfing not damage your shield?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Unmature posted:

Does sand seal surfing not damage your shield?

Surfing on snow or sand doesn't wear out your shield at all.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Probably not. Even if it does sand is one of the environments that doesn't take up much durability when surfing so I've never had a shield run out on me out there.

e: ^^ that make sense

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Okay, does anybody know how to get this Korok? I can't figure it out. I don't see any balloons or jars, no circles to dive in, etc. I assume it's the finish line to a race but I have no clue where the starting line is.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

:getin:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

recipe?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

4 Fleet Lotus Seeds and any shard of dragon horn

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Spergatory posted:

Okay, does anybody know how to get this Korok? I can't figure it out. I don't see any balloons or jars, no circles to dive in, etc. I assume it's the finish line to a race but I have no clue where the starting line is.

Directly north of that are a couple of very, very hard to see "duplicate this pattern" blocks embedded in the cliff wall, so presumably there's a metal block around there...somewhere.

e: found it, jesus christ what a troll

It's in the bottom of this hole, and the only way you'll be able to see is is being nearly directly on top of it looking straight down with Magnesis.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 16, 2017

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

always a catch.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRsHHbuOqKY

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I got to final Ganon form but I can't deflect shots with the shield at all, it destroyed all my shields in short order and now i can't seem to do any damage to him.

And I've only beaten 2 divine beasts. If I come back later will I have to fight all the Ganon forms again? I didnt mean to fight him already but what the hell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Does it have to be a horn or can you use a scale/claw?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

If you use Hot-Footed Frog to make it an elixir, do you get better results? Or is the time capped at 30 minutes?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

Does it have to be a horn or can you use a scale/claw?

Scales add 60s to the duration.
Claws add 180s and force a crit proc.
Fangs add 600s and force a crit proc.
Horns ignore everything else and set the duration to 30m (and also force a crit proc, but the proc can be "added duration" which is still ignored)

This applies to both food and elixirs, but dragon bits don't count as "elixir-making materials" so you still have to use a normal monster claw/horn/gut or all you end up with is some very expensive dubious food.

In theory you could get something with a 40 minute duration if you had 4 fangs and 1 buff food item, but I need to go get some fangs to see if it works and obviously it takes 4x longer to farm that many up for a possibility to maybe have something that would have the same level of potency.

e:

Dr. Stab posted:

If you use Hot-Footed Frog to make it an elixir, do you get better results? Or is the time capped at 30 minutes?

If you use frogs you're forced to use at least one normal monster item for it to be an elixir and not dubious food, and 3 frogs only guarantees you a 2x speed buff.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Oh, they don't count as monster parts?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently not. My guess is that since they can be used for normal food, having them "set" as monster parts would make all of your food come out as dubious otherwise? But yeah.

e:
It can proc a 3x buff with frogs, but it's not guaranteed and doesn't add to the duration.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 16, 2017

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
What can I do to trigger a Blood Moon? The last shrine I need is the Blood Moon shrine and no amount of sleeping or waiting at fires is triggering it. In fact, it's the last thing I need to do before I can consider my journey "complete" and I can storm Hyrule Castle in earnest.

e: while I'm on the subject of shrines: I've completed all four Beasts and I put enough orbs into stamina to get three full wheels, and I can't help but notice that I'm still going to be three hearts shy of a full set of 30. Are there heart containers I'm missing, or did I lock myself out by putting too much into stamina?

e2: Blood Moon finally spawned the next night, so no worries there.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 16, 2017

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Maple Leaf posted:

What can I do to trigger a Blood Moon? The last shrine I need is the Blood Moon shrine and no amount of sleeping or waiting at fires is triggering it. In fact, it's the last thing I need to do before I can consider my journey "complete" and I can storm Hyrule Castle in earnest.

e: while I'm on the subject of shrines: I've completed all four Beasts and I put enough orbs into stamina to get three full wheels, and I can't help but notice that I'm still going to be three hearts shy of a full set of 30. Are there heart containers I'm missing, or did I lock myself out by putting too much into stamina?

There are twelve too few shrines to max out both hearts and stamina at the same time. You're good.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

African AIDS cum posted:

I got to final Ganon form but I can't deflect shots with the shield at all, it destroyed all my shields in short order and now i can't seem to do any damage to him.

And I've only beaten 2 divine beasts. If I come back later will I have to fight all the Ganon forms again? I didnt mean to fight him already but what the hell.

Is one of the beasts you beat the camel? Cause the power you get from it trivializes that stage of Ganon.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Maple Leaf posted:

1. Kill more things. Blood moons seem to trigger more frequently the more dead monsters the game has to remember are dead.

2. It's intentional that you can't max out both hearts and stamina (maybe the DLC will add more shrines?), but you can respec if you really really want 30.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

The Lobster posted:

Is there someplace that lists where the best place to farm for certain materials is? Such as Stealthfin Trout, etc. I've beaten the DB and now I want to upgrade all my armor. Also I'm curious on the drop rates for others. For instance I need an assload of Bokoblin Guts to upgrade my Hylian armor. What is the percentage that that drops? I have very specific fashion that I want to be wearing when I beat Ganon. (Not "-of the Wild" because those clothes are ugly.)

fyi stealthfin are in the moat surrounding the lost woods. I spent 15 minutes swimming around it and got every fish id need for the ninja suit.

Hylian gear is the best, tho

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Maple Leaf posted:

e2: Blood Moon finally spawned the next night, so no worries there.

Man, I get blood moons all the time, I'm just tired of having to skip the cutscene and wait for the long load.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

fyi stealthfin are in the moat surrounding the lost woods. I spent 15 minutes swimming around it and got every fish id need for the ninja suit.

Hylian gear is the best, tho

Thank you! Still wondering if there is a resource for this (not the compendium...). But that helps a bunch!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

mastajake posted:

Is one of the beasts you beat the camel? Cause the power you get from it trivializes that stage of Ganon.

No I beat the Zora one and the flying one

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

mastajake posted:

Man, gently caress the camel. That whole level was annoying.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Man, gently caress the camel. That whole level was annoying.

:same:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Actually, the camel level is the best level.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Maple Leaf posted:

What can I do to trigger a Blood Moon?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

This, or go around and get a bunch of ores and other resources and basically do your best to tick over the memory requirements for the reset.

Of course one of those methods is dumb and boring and the other is Super Cool (TM) so you know what the correct choice must be.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CJ posted:

Bullet point summary for people too childish to respond to his actual criticisms:
gently caress it, I'm bored and armchair designing is entertaining to me so here's a counter-point for literally everything that guy (you) says.
Feel free to scroll over if you're not interested. I really don't care, this is just me having fun.

Shrines:
- Majority of them are ion the 'meh' to 'bad' side rather than good.
Actually, no. There's an even spread of difficulty ranging from stupid easy to rather hard. Keep in mind this game is meant for both the casual and the hardcore, so a lot of concessions are made to ensure that both ends of the spectrum can enjoy the game. If you're a casual, the difficult puzzles are avoidable so you can still get enough shrines to Master Sword and beat the game. If you're hardcore, you hunger for any and all content possible and will gladly gulp down the easier shrines while feeling talented for completing the difficult ones. Plus, difficult of puzzle is in itself a varietal concern. If all the puzzles were on the latter end of the spectrum, you would fear going into shrines when you're too tired to deal with solving a puzzle.

- The shrines where you fight a guardian are all filler garbage
Actually, no. If you're running through the game by going from shrine to shrine, you need a break from puzzles. The guardian fight shrines are there to give you good weaponry (if you need it) and force you to do battle (if you're the type to run away from most fights.) Again, it's mixed in with everything else to provide variety to the shrines.

- The good shrines introduced a concept and expanded on it, or required the interaction of several mechanics.
Good for the hardcore gamer, bad for the casual, or younger audience, who can't figure it out and would weep in frustration if every shrine were like this.

- The bad shrines introduced an mechanic with a tutorial and that was it, or were insultingly easy like glide across a gap.
Bad for the hardcore who wants more out of the game, good for the casual and younger audience who need the gimmies when they can't handle the tougher stuff.

Combat:
- The way damage is calculated is fundamentally flawed by being additive, ie the damage calculation being enemy damage + weapon damage - armour.
Keep it simple stupid. The mechanics are easy so you can understand them without having to refer to a manual.

- This leads to terribly balanced fights, where you take 0 damage if your armour is too high and get wrecked if it's too low. Also leads to silly situations like a bokoblin doing more damage than Ganon.
The game is about preparation. If you're prepared for a fight with high armor, of course you should take 0 damage. If you aren't, of course you should get hurt bad. It's that way to ensure you take the beaten path early and the tougher path late without making the game linear. As for Ganon, he isn't actually supposed to do the most damage in the game, nor is he supposed to be the hardest battle, because he has to be available for defeat from hour 1 to hour 1000. Plus, this idea that the end boss has to be "the hardest thing" is a concept that's died years ago. Nowadays, you're lucky if 20% of your game's user base even makes it to the final battle, in part because we're all ADHD'd out of our mind and also because there are just too many good games coming out to be able to beat them all. Point being that the end boss is supposed to be entertaining, not tough. Dying halfway through a final boss is probably one of the most annoying things to have happen in a game. Designers have understood this and games have been tweaked accordingly. Comparing the required fight of Ganon to the optional fight of a Silver Bokoblin is a bad comparison to make.

- The world scales with you but story segments like the guardians don't.
Do you know about Final Fantasy 8's broken scaling system? The one where the more you prepared, the more the game scaled up with you? Basically, if you powered up enough, the latter part of the game became almost impossible to get through due to the scaling involved. Ever since this, other RPGs (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Final Fantasy) have been extremely wary of how they do their scaling, especially when it comes to the story-bound enemies. As such, designers often decide to keep the story stuff at a lower scaling or simply remove the scaling altogether in favor of just letting a prepared, powered up player get what they want: Ultimate power. That's the decision they made with Zelda, a game that literally lets you power yourself down in order to make the game more challenging if you want.

- As a result of the above stuff, he missed all the guardian boss fights on his first playthrough because he ended up one shotting them with with the master sword.
Maybe if he wanted a challenge, he shouldn't have prepared for hours and then used all of the things he earned through that preparation? Or he could have just... not used the Master Sword and gone in nude? I mean, you can't have it both ways, bud. When you consider how the game is built around absolute freedom, then either you're allowed to dominate through preparation or you create a scaling system that literally changes the HP and damage of a boss based on what your character has equipped. Nah, they did this correctly.

- There isn't enough enemy variety, the vast majority is bokoblins, lizards and moblins. There are some other enemies but they usually attack you alone. Would have been a lot more interesting if e.g. the assassins attacked you while you were fighting other stuff to make stuff interesting.
"More interesting" and "too difficult for a casual player" are being mixed up here. Firstly, I think it's funny how everyone complains about variety when they're missing the little rock dudes, the bats, the octoroks, the wildlife, the skeletons, the guardians, and every elemental version of most of this junk. Secondly, there isn't more variety because each enemy is supposed to have a better or worse way to take care of them. As such, a player who is trying to play optimally has to think about what equipment they have to handle each enemy individually, especially when the elements are in play. Bring too much variety and it becomes tiresome equipping everything over and over again to counter the enemies you face. Meanwhile, a player who isn't playing optimally will just swing their fattest sword and equip their largest shield. It'll take them longer to win the fight and, as such, would get tired pretty quickly if those big "interesting" fights even existed because they'd be bombarded so hard they'd just rather flee the battle. For the range of audience this game was shooting for, this stuff was balanced just fine.

- Not being able to dodge when not logged on was terrible.
They disabled dodging if you didn't log into your Nintendo account? Wow.
Oh, wait, you mean locked on. Yeah uhhh I don't know if you (or this guy) noticed but it turns out that running laterally to any enemy is just as effective as dodging, if not more so, actually. With a dodge, you're hoping to catch a break and enter slow-down mode where every frame is an i-frame. With just running, you basically avoid almost everything. What of the situations where you can't avoid? Well, guess what, most of those situations are when you're in a 1-on-1 duel and you would be locked on anyway so the point is moot. I'm honestly not sure what alternative you'd want to this, considering "being able to dodge while not locked on" would mean any time you're running and jumping, Link does a weird hop instead of a normal running jump.

- The dodge flurry attacks were broken. Seems to be programmed to check for damage around you when you press the dodge button. This means if you anticipate an attack and time the dodge so you actually dodge it you don't get the flurry. In contrast if you move out of the way, wait for the enemy to miss you then press dodge it detects the attack hit box next to you and gives you the flurry even though you didn't actually dodge anything.
Actually I agree with this. The window of dodging is broken and weird... but rather easy to get used to and I can dodge like any attack in this game now so how about get good? This one only really affects the casual player, funny it affects this hardcore complainer.

- Being able to eat an unlimited amount of food with no risk such as an eating animation trivialises things.
Hey, guess what? Hard Mode is coming in a DLC. Sorry that, like the guardians that don't scale, you can't have some self-restraint to make the game funner for you. If you'd rather the game didn't trivialize things, maybe have someone sit next to you while you play and every time you try to heal mid-battle, they taze you with a cattle-prod.

- Lack of weapon variety, they all share a very small pool of movesets.
Man, I'd hate to break it to you but in most Zelda games Link only gets a Sword. Okay, snark aside, let's quickly just mention that there are a gently caress ton of actual weapons in this game, so variety is not an issue. That said, you need the pool of move sets to be small (1-hand, 2-hand, pole, magic) so you're never confused as to what it is you're pulling out to fight someone with. When you consider the actual variety of weaponry, I have to wonder what other actual move sets you're looking for. This isn't Monster Hunter, you're not going to find a transformer weapon in this game.

- Weapon degradation has a nice flow at the beginning as you are constantly switching weapons, but as you progress it leads to problems such as making you feel bad about using cool weapons, discouraging you from switching weapons because it's better to break them one at a time and replacing them rather than having a bunch of near broken weapons.
The cool weapons problem is only a problem when you don't know where to get that weapon again. Lucky you, blood moons refresh set weapon locations and your local Hinox is probably carrying something pretty cool as well. Oh, it's also a problem for Amiibo but gently caress Amiibo. Also, if you're freaking out over breaking weaponry one at a time instead of having many near-broken weapons, that's a problem in your own head that you have to get over because breaking a weapon over an enemy's head does critical damage and the game freezes when you switch weaponry making it easy to go from weapon to weapon whether you're breaking heads or just optimizing your experience. This isn't a problem with the game's design, it's a problem with your interpretation of it.

TL;DR The dude wanted an experience tailored specifically to him and all his stuff is just a nitpick for how it's not.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
You should really watch the video because he not only already considers a lot of your counterarguments (dodging just be sprinting; doing a low-heart-low-armor challenge mode to sate his hardcore gamer ego; where to find cool weapons again), but he also offers suggestions on what they could do alternatively: for example, armour lessens damage by percentage rather than by flat subtraction. Sure, it's less simple, but nobody's going to bust out the calculator to know that 15% is less than 20%, therefore the 20% armour is better.

The guy made a two hour video bemoaning the parts he felt Breath of the Wild could have improved; why they could use improvement; and how they could be improved. It's so long because he put a ton of thought into each of his points. It's an honest, careful, not-entirely-subjective review (although he does say that the camel dungeon is the best, and the bird dungeon is the worst, both of which are plain ole' wrong). Feel free to say I'm a sycophant or that I made the video myself or whatever, but if you can stomach two hours of him having an opinion about Nintendo's latest Game Of The Decade, he makes some good points.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Maple Leaf posted:

he makes some good points.

He certainly made points, but they are entirely subjective. Which is fine, except when you spend two hours sharing them. You better be the loving Ken Burns of youtube commenters if you want 2 hours of my life to say "I wish the game was different". The Every Frame a Painting guy can take ten minutes and completely break down action scene as an artistic medium, in two loving hours your youtube video better have changed my life.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
People can not like the new Zelda game or various aspects of it. It's not really a big deal.

For me, the strengths greatly outweigh the weaknesses, but I can also see why those weaknesses may turn some people off. It's fine, in the end we all still like video games.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

BotW might be GOAT but it still has flaws. I'm not gonna watch a goddamn two hour video about those flaws, but critique is absolutely an important aspect of any art consumption. Considering what a complete overhaul this game was of the Zelda formula, along with how amazingly complex it is, every issue brought up in that video was bound to happen. I'm hoping that Nintendo actually addresses those weaknesses and builds on what they've already created. This engine is full of untapped potential.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am just mad, absolutely furious, that someone made a video critiquing a video game I like while still saying that it's one of the best games they've ever played

And they have the gall, the absolute arrogance, to make it a long video? What a piece of poo poo! What an rear end in a top hat! Who the hell do they think they are? Do they even post on something awful dot com?

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That 2 hour review is dumb as gently caress here's a 10 hour video that's infinitely better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOR_6QBkBGs