Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
:confused: but the wheels arent purple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Does the Porsche know you're cheating on it?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ludicro posted:

If you zoom in on the top of the mountain, you can see the Eagles Nest. Which is sadly closed, but this was as close as we could get.

Probably worth making a thread chronicling all the adventures over the last couple of weeks than filling up this one maybe?

I'd read your adventure thread.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cage posted:

:confused: but the wheels arent purple?

wat

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Does the Porsche know you're cheating on it?

It is a diesel... that is all I will say.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ouhei posted:

'06 Honda s2000. Yes I have purple wheels, they are awesome.

Nodoze posted:

So I bought some AP2v1 wheels a little while ago, and I did a thing...

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 12, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I now know what I must do.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Finally had the chance to get both of them out for some exercise today. The 968 is super dirty still but I have more things to do before detailing.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ExecuDork posted:

I'd read your adventure thread.

I spent the last few days chilling out at Lake Lucerne and am now at my last layover in France before returning to the UK tomorrow, but won't get back to my computer until Tuesday. I'll make a start on it then.

In the meantime, we stopped in the most picturesque McDonalds car park on our way through Switzerland.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Ludicro posted:

I spent the last few days chilling out at Lake Lucerne and am now at my last layover in France before returning to the UK tomorrow, but won't get back to my computer until Tuesday. I'll make a start on it then.

In the meantime, we stopped in the most picturesque McDonalds car park on our way through Switzerland.

What is that white wagon on the right, it looks good.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

What is that white wagon on the right, it looks good.

https://www.google.se/search?q=skod...avia+wagon+2017

The fish-eye lens stretches it out a bit making it look like a better-looking car then it is. Not that i hate it or anything.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 14, 2017

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Killstick posted:

The fish-eye lens stretches it out a bit making it look like a better-looking car then it is. Not that i hate it or anything.

boy is it, doesn't look nearly as good as in your pic.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Beautiful weather in Chicago this weekend, a good opportunity to get the e46 cleaned up.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jymmybob posted:

Finally had the chance to get both of them out for some exercise today. The 968 is super dirty still but I have more things to do before detailing.

what are the details on your 911?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

scrubs season six posted:

what are the details on your 911?

It's a 2001 Turbo with ~62000 miles and an AWE 700R kit and Ruf wheels. Otherwise it's mostly stock and in about 95% condition but I'm too terrible at manuals to drive it so my wife has adopted it on nice days. I bought the 968 to practice on so I can one day drive the 911 without terrifying myself and/or causing a repair costing multiple times the price of the 968.

Bonus 968 post-washing today:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Jymmybob posted:

It's a 2001 Turbo with ~62000 miles and an AWE 700R kit and Ruf wheels. Otherwise it's mostly stock and in about 95% condition but I'm too terrible at manuals to drive it so my wife has adopted it on nice days. I bought the 968 to practice on so I can one day drive the 911 without terrifying myself and/or causing a repair costing multiple times the price of the 968.

Could you not just rent a manual v6 mustang from Enterprise or buy some used beater off craigslist, practice for a week then ditch it?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

Nice ride, old man.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jymmybob posted:

Holy crap I didn't know there were any of those left.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Killstick posted:

I've got one in black, they're a quite nice car (posted a few months back)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

davebo posted:

Could you not just rent a manual v6 mustang from Enterprise or buy some used beater off craigslist, practice for a week then ditch it?

Alternatively just drive the car? It's pretty hard to shred a clutch!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Aargh posted:

I've got one in black, they're a quite nice car (posted a few months back)

They're really nice cars, the VRS ones especially. The Superb wagon is a good looking car too, a bit bigger than the Octavia.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

They're literally a Golf without the price tag to match, can't go wrong to be honest if the styling is your thing.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

The plan was a $2-3000 beater off craigslist but I stumbled onto the 968 at well under market price so I went for it and my wife didn't care since that means she gets the 911 even more. I actually really like it though and will probably keep it for quite a while to work on and maybe get into track days. The 968 community is really neat too since it's very well organized but also tight-knit because of the scarcity of cars. Many of the rare ones are accounted for in the registry since only ~4000 made it to the US, half coupe and half cab. Bonus registry cling pic that just came in.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Nice ride, old man.

That's my father in law who used to DD a Miata so he was happy to cruise around in it this weekend. I'm not even close to being that old :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Alternatively just drive the car? It's pretty hard to shred a clutch!

996TTs are notoriously difficult to get moving from a stop because of a very vague and extremely short engagement at the very top of a very long clutch travel and that was before the upgraded clutch to handle 650hp. It's certainly do-able but it's tough without either lugging the poo poo out of it or getting into boost ahead of schedule. Also the most basic transmission repair is if you shift roughly into 2nd which is a $5000 rebuild and a clutch replacement is ~$2000. That said the Turbos are about as indestractable as a near-exotic sports car can be so it's mostly just for piece of mind and the solution of 'buy another Porsche' seems like a perfect solution to such first world problems.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 16, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So how do you plan on learning how to drive it if you're not going to drive it? :confused:

And that repair work is crazy expensive :lol:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So how do you plan on learning how to drive it if you're not going to drive it? :confused:

And that repair work is crazy expensive :lol:

Prior to getting the 911 I had about 40 hours of manual driving time, most recently ~15 years ago but was ok enough to think I'd be fine to re-learn on this. I was wrong and my brain can't keep up so I'm using the 968, which is exceptionally forgiving, to get the method down so I don't have to consciously think about the basic movements like using the clutch. Fifteen years of performance autos and dual-clutches made it easy to drive quickly without worrying about choosing gears, much less choosing gears and using a clutch.

The repairs aren't that bad for their class and it really only gets bad if you do something dumb or are unlucky. I'm trying to prevent the former.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I feel like we are getting the other side of the "bought my wife a bowling ball for Christmas, but she doesn't bowl :smuggo:" trope

I can see myself convincing the wife she needs a 996T but... oh no... you don't drive stick well and it's super expensive to fix! I drive stick... you know.... gotta keep those fluids moving...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

996Ts are easy as gently caress to drive! Like literally the easiest car of that power in the world. Lad who built my car has one and it owns.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I agree, they are extremely easy to drive except for getting started from dead stop reliably. They're well known as having a lovely stock clutch because only TTs have a slave driven off the power steering that breaks often and makes then overboosted and vague. The standard thing is to retrofit gt2 parts to remove the boost but now there's a pile of aftermarket solutions that don't need an engine drop for installation. Sure i can drive it in a pinch but i don't want to and don't have to so i got the 968 to learn safely and correctly.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ludicro posted:

I think we've been to that same one :D

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Already posted in the BMW thread but your move sithlords!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Already posted in the BMW thread but your move sithlords!

I guess tomorrow is a new tire day, too! :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
How to transport a 20' culvert.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

chrisgt posted:

How to transport a 20' culvert.

I wonder what that sounded like going down the road.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

996TTs are notoriously difficult to get moving from a stop because of a very vague and extremely short engagement at the very top of a very long clutch travel and that was before the upgraded clutch to handle 650hp. It's certainly do-able but it's tough without either lugging the poo poo out of it or getting into boost ahead of schedule. Also the most basic transmission repair is if you shift roughly into 2nd which is a $5000 rebuild and a clutch replacement is ~$2000. That said the Turbos are about as indestractable as a near-exotic sports car can be so it's mostly just for piece of mind and the solution of 'buy another Porsche' seems like a perfect solution to such first world problems.

I've probably stopped myself from typing this out many times because I've heard you make this comment before but I can't stop myself this time: I've only ever driven water cooled Porsches so I can't speak to history, but every modern Porsche I've driven has had a clutch with this exact characteristic: extremely long throw, engagement near the very top.

Some advice you don't have to take, but for me the Porsche shifter/clutch definitely was a lightbulb moment for me and I'm not new to stick. Only one driver's interpretation, but the catch is high because they don't expect you to ride it much (if at all) as you let it out. If you shift at the correct moment (e.g. light pressure popping it into the correct gear soyou know synchros arent taking the burden) you can pretty much let the clutch all the way out, i.e. progressively but very fast. That's why having the engagement so high doesn't really matter, the length is used to eat up the time you'd usually "wait" a beat in other manuals. My guess is by design because racecar but this has always resulted in the best shifts for me.

I have come to love it and miss it like crazy when i drive say, a WRX, where no matter how nice you get the revs lined up you can't really do that, you have to ride the clutch just a hair for a 100% smooth shift

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

*sound of the didgeridoo echos through the hills*

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

thechalkoutline posted:

I've probably stopped myself from typing this out many times because I've heard you make this comment before but I can't stop myself this time: I've only ever driven water cooled Porsches so I can't speak to history, but every modern Porsche I've driven has had a clutch with this exact characteristic: extremely long throw, engagement near the very top.

Some advice you don't have to take, but for me the Porsche shifter/clutch definitely was a lightbulb moment for me and I'm not new to stick. Only one driver's interpretation, but the catch is high because they don't expect you to ride it much (if at all) as you let it out. If you shift at the correct moment (e.g. light pressure popping it into the correct gear soyou know synchros arent taking the burden) you can pretty much let the clutch all the way out, i.e. progressively but very fast. That's why having the engagement so high doesn't really matter, the length is used to eat up the time you'd usually "wait" a beat in other manuals. My guess is by design because racecar but this has always resulted in the best shifts for me.

I have come to love it and miss it like crazy when i drive say, a WRX, where no matter how nice you get the revs lined up you can't really do that, you have to ride the clutch just a hair for a 100% smooth shift

I tried quite a few non-turbo 996's and 997's but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary but when I got into turbos it was like night and day. The release point isn't a problem but the super short engangement is annoying and there's nothing that can be done so that's fine but the overboosted to the point of no feeling is the problem and it's mostly solved on the same era GT2s. It's obviously not undrivable, but it's just incredibly frustrating to learn stick with because you let it out forever and only know it engages by the engine bogging, barely any feeling from the pedal even going barefoot. It also doesn't help that the AWE 700R kit on mine is older and has K24s so lag is even more than typical with non-X50 turbos, especially running the stock map. I don't disagree with anything you said but the 996TT clutch setup is just not good. This is pretty standard though which is why people spend thousands to convert the slave.

The 968 is a cakewalk to drive around except the clutch engages like a half inch off the floor so it's about as opposite as you can get.

Drache
Aug 26, 2000
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Slippery Tilde
Cross posting from the Hot Hatch thread. I picked this up on Saturday:

2017 Golf R. I traded in my 2008 GTI on it, which I will miss, but holy crap the R is a blast to drive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

thechalkoutline posted:

On my 986, which I feel like has pretty soft stock motor mounts, the engagement starts halfway up, but in terms of friction as you release, it's like
1, 1, 1, 1, 5, 9, 10. You still need to use the middle of the clutch travel to shift smoothly when driving gently, but the engagement just piles on at the end.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's a subaru, so "rod knock" is probably an appropriate answer.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

On my 986, which I feel like has pretty soft stock motor mounts, the engagement starts halfway up, but in terms of friction as you release, it's like
1, 1, 1, 1, 5, 9, 10. You still need to use the middle of the clutch travel to shift smoothly when driving gently, but the engagement just piles on at the end.

Yeah, this is a better description, it's how it piles up. I know if you slowly let it out it'll start to bite near the middle but like you said, most of the engagement is that last quarter, where you say 5.

Again though, it seems designed to sidestep the problem of 'where is the engagement, I can't feel it, etc.' through throw length by assuming you'll let it out every time as if you were tracking it, i.e. linearly but very fast. Usually lurk but really wanted to chime in w this because it took me from "I feel like I'm doing something wrong" to "oh that's how they meant for it to be used."

Pic so I stop making GBS threads up the thread, potato phone cam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jymmybob posted:

Don't know if you ever saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGKLuqfasEc

Not the most exciting review, granted.