Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I thought maybe they were areas of majority ethnic Georgians, but the maps don’t match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hmm yeah you're right that can't be it. Beats me then.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Powered Descent posted:

I'm Kaliningrad.

I'm gonna compress the full Russian population into you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SaltyJesus posted:

What's up with the little islands above Georgia?

I think the western most ones are maybe Republic of Adygea

Eastern ones probably Republic of North Ossetia-Alania

Not sure why other Russian republics aren't included though.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Apr 14, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zamujasa posted:

On-topic:

There's probably some context that makes this make sense but on its face this graph just seems totally useless.
Not to specifically legitimize economic graphs which range from nice ideas to wait-what, but if we get hassle topic specific graphs I'm going to have to dropping in engineering lookup charts which are amazingly dense and awful.

One of the more universally useful and easy to read

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

It's been a while, so I wanna reshare one of my fave graphs. From a shitshow of a poli sci text.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

aaaa wtf is the x axis?

Is it some ideal index? What do the lengths of the 1980/98 parts mean?? Goddamn this is worse than worthless.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

So, how many tons of TNT is the Tarbosaurus?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Powaqoatse posted:

aaaa wtf is the x axis?

Is it some ideal index? What do the lengths of the 1980/98 parts mean?? Goddamn this is worse than worthless.

The X axis is degree of economic liberalization, look at the pieces of text at the top left and right. The lengths of the lines are how much more liberal the economy became from 1980-1992, then from 1992-1998.

I think.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

That is one comfortable horse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Powaqoatse posted:

aaaa wtf is the x axis?

FREEDOM

Powaqoatse posted:

Length is the degree of change.

The legend should be associated with points, not lines. Like, it’s really the left end of the line that represents 1980, not the line itself. Also, there needs to be a consistent gap between the years.

But also the entire concept is dumb. Qualitative values should not be plotted.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thx

I guess we can say the index is NZ in 1998 (most best & free country ever), and every other country is graded on that lol

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

zedprime posted:

Not to specifically legitimize economic graphs which range from nice ideas to wait-what, but if we get hassle topic specific graphs I'm going to have to dropping in engineering lookup charts which are amazingly dense and awful.

One of the more universally useful and easy to read

This is some sort of physics thing. Enthalpy is a kind of special physics measure of heat. It's not hard to read if you know what you're looking for, and people seeing this probably would.

I do wonder what it is about. Dry bulbs?

Also, a physics graph with imperial units? Shame on whoever made it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is some sort of physics thing. Enthalpy is a kind of special physics measure of heat. It's not hard to read if you know what you're looking for, and people seeing this probably would.

I do wonder what it is about. Dry bulbs?

Also, a physics graph with imperial units? Shame on whoever made it.

Probably engineering.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Probably engineering.

Classical Thermodynamics. Tells you some thermo properties of moist air given wet bulb and dry bulb temperatures. Looks like it combines what would be 4 tables into 1 graph.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Been about a decade since I've done that kind of thermo.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tiberius Thyben posted:

It's been a while, so I wanna reshare one of my fave graphs. From a shitshow of a poli sci text.

What is that y axis, why is it just labelled globalization ??? Does it mean Russia is more globalized than France or less ?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fathis Munk posted:

What is that y axis, why is it just labelled globalization ??? Does it mean Russia is more globalized than France or less ?

more, duh

Just like NZ is the most global country. So global it's not even on most maps cause it's bigger than the globe

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Come to think of it, why the gently caress is NZ even included in the data set, was this a kiwi book ?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fathis Munk posted:

Come to think of it, why the gently caress is NZ even included in the data set, was this a kiwi book ?

my guess: Australia just had really bad data

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tbf, life in NZ in 1998 was pretty good.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Fathis Munk posted:

NZ has the most advanced tort reform measures in the world. I guess that makes it appeal to deregulation fetishists.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

tbf, life in NZ in 1998 was pretty good.

That's not what the graph shows though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Brute Squad posted:

Classical Thermodynamics. Tells you some thermo properties of moist air given wet bulb and dry bulb temperatures. Looks like it combines what would be 4 tables into 1 graph.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Been about a decade since I've done that kind of thermo.
You remember right. There's a bunch of useful empirical equations or just corrections for air that use humidity ratio or whatnot with dry air properties to calculate or approximate the actual wet air properties and you bootstrap the process with a psychrometric chart.

Wet bulb and dry bulb are so named because the old MacGyver analytic method to specify air is to take the temperature with a thermometer, and then wrap the thermometer bulb with a thin wicking piece of cloth. The water in the cloth evaporates and cools down the thermometer and when you hit equilibrium you read it and that's the wet bulb.

Depending what you would call an independent table (since you just need to find a state point out of any 2 properties) you missed one. You can get dew point out of this thing too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
So it's a good graph, just not for a layperson.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So it's a good graph, just not for a layperson.
Depends on your chart philosophy. The point of any chart is to make sense of stuff at a glance. So because phone apps/wolfram alpha/info tech in general makes table lookup of values easy, a lookup chart that takes an instruction manual starts looking outdated. Its like slide rules, physical logarithmic methods are beautiful but have no place outside of a hobby.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

BonHair posted:

That's not what the graph shows though.

OK, serious answer. NZ in the 1970s had an incredibly insular economy which had been entirely based on shipping frozen meat to the UK until the UK joined the European Economic Community, which hosed things up for us quite badly.

So in the 1980s and early 1990s we really got into the Reaganomics thing quite hard. It was known as Rogernomics here after the finance minister at the time, but it continued through succeeding governments as well. Subsidies were wiped out and import liscencing was abolished, the railways, post office (including the telephone network), Power generation, State Housing,the bank of NZ and many other state assets were privatized, welfare was cut.

This resulted in a lot of unemployment and killed a number of industries such as vehicle assembly and textiles that we hit very badly by the tariff cuts. But the end result is that the economy diversified and now we are reliant on tourism as well as dairy farming! :toot:

Another lookup chart, this one is for sizing drainage pipes. Apparently pipemakers would have books of these showing the qualities of each size and type of pipe they made. Try making a table of a bunch of these:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jaguars! posted:

Another lookup chart, this one is for sizing drainage pipes. Apparently pipemakers would have books of these showing the qualities of each size and type of pipe they made. Try making a table of a bunch of these:

Unless you mean a man-readable table, pipe sizing is done by computer now. Not least of all because its an algorithmic process where you're going to be going back and forth to that chart a dozen times. Often you even download a handy definition table from a vendor and plug it in.

The correct criticism is our industry's going to collapse when Skynet takes over and it won't even need to fire a nuke, just turn off all the computers :tinfoil:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As someone who worked with industrial HVAC equipment for many years, I would be fine never seeing any psychometric chart ever again. The first posting of that chart made me involuntarily cringe more than the goatman pic.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
This all reminds me of the pleasures of explaining the Siggaard Andersen nomogram to second year bio students.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How the gently caress does that work

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Basically the blood pH is a function of HCO3- concentration and partial CO2 pressure so the 3 are related.

The top version of the graph plots the concentration of HCO3- as a function of blood pH for different values of pCO2. Each curve is for a different value of pCO2.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Fathis Munk posted:

This all reminds me of the pleasures of explaining the Siggaard Andersen nomogram to second year bio students.

Oh Christ I blocked that all out from med school. Is it wrong that my gut response to that graph is 'refer to internal med'?

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Reminds me of this beauty.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Perhaps some things were just not meant to be graphed in two dimensions

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

This seems like a well composed graph that communicates its correlation well. Using actual data no less.

It's not at all like those "hole left by Christian dark ages" things

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Electrical Fire posted:

Reminds me of this beauty.

I like how this looks, at least. :v:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Shows an inverse correlation between religion and innovation, cites sources, has proper axes. What's bad about this one?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No correlation factor footnote is suspicious. That's the sort of grouping that often looks whizzbang but statistically points toward weak association at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ranbo das posted:

Shows an inverse correlation between religion and innovation, cites sources, has proper axes. What's bad about this one?

If I had to hazard a guess, collapse the x axis and look at the color distribution, and you get a more significant-looking country-group ordering of OECD>Central & Easter Europe>Middle East & North Africa~Asia & Oceania>Americas>Sub-Saharan Africa.

Seems like belonging to different geopolitical groupings is a serious compounding factor, if not the more significant difference.