Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

That's... a bad idea and would actively push people away if you did it more than once.

okay don't do it more than once, do it after intervals of actual SSS input

I'm just spit-balling here but anything is better than "Wrong SSS eat a bad end"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

Wh-What do you mean that's the actual plot?!

SSNeoman posted:

okay don't do it more than once, do it after intervals of actual SSS input

I'm just spit-balling here but anything is better than "Wrong SSS eat a bad end"

Isn't that basically what a visual novel does? Make the wrong choice/s, find yourself in a bad end? At least this way you know you're heading for one, and it lets you know afterwards what to do to fix it. Yeah, it's kind of railroading, but visual novels (and novels in general) do that anyway.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Whit27 posted:

Isn't that basically what a visual novel does? Make the wrong choice/s, find yourself in a bad end? At least this way you know you're heading for one, and it lets you know afterwards what to do to fix it. Yeah, it's kind of railroading, but visual novels (and novels in general) do that anyway.

dude come on

Yes, ultimately all VNs are about choosing pre-determined choices in order to arrive into a programmed outcome. All video games are like this. But not all video games are equal. Why? Because the meat and potatoes of the game engage you and ultimately make you invested in the gameplay and/or story. Phoenix Wright has, for all intents and purposes, has only one path. But between player agency on which area to investigate first and its colourful cast, make you forget that you're ultimately on a straight line to one destination. Because the game is engaging.

That's why I keep using that word. I was hoping to avoid making this post because I feel really foolish writing this out. We all consume video game media here right? We all know there's a difference between the corridors of FFXIII and the corridors of FFX. They're both corridors, but one is a very boring and odious experience while the other is emotional and interesting.

You can make anything engaging. Tokimeko makes Japanese high school engaging even to people who have never been to a Japanese high school. Dysfunctional Systems is engaging despite ultimately having the same ending for both its "routes".
Route Before is not engaging and not because it's slice of life. I didn't play any SoL games outside of like Tokimemo LPs but I'm certain you can make them interesting. I mean I love SoL manga like Tonari no Seki-kun or anime like Barakamon.
The issues with Before come from its boring cast, its almost conflict-less scenarios (look arguing whether to go shopping or not isn't really setting my world on fire) and its clumsy writing/exposition. The latter is sort of charming in 999 or VLR but that's because the characters save it from being a slog. We have no such luck here.
Natsuhiko honestly deserves extra mention because he's supposed to be out first person driver through this and I cannot get a bead on his personality. When you play dating sims, this is done so you can adjust your MC to suit each girl's route, which is why every dating sim protag is the same Nanashi McNoEyes. It doesn't work here because Natsuhiko is supposed to be an actual Character, not just an audience surrogate.
And you really cannot have mistakes in SoL stories because if you get rid of action and major conflicts (minor ones are fine, there is no such thing as a story without conflict do not make me post McKee.mp4 here) you need to make sure the other aspects of your story make up for it. And for Route Before, they don't.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 12, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

SSNeoman posted:

We all know there's a difference between the corridors of FFXIII and the corridors of FFX. They're both corridors, but one is a very boring and odious experience while the other is emotional and interesting.

...which one is which in that instance?

Honestly, Route Before felt the weakest to me, too, because it felt too contrived. The fact that everything took place in a flashback drained any possible tension, and I didn't like that there weren't branches, either, though the framing device (flashback) meant that there really couldn't be any explainable branches (unless they wanted to make Yuuri just a complete jerk and totally mindfuck Natsuhiko by adding new memories)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

...which one is which in that instance?

yes yes very droll
you take my point though

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly, Route Before felt the weakest to me, too, because it felt too contrived. The fact that everything took place in a flashback drained any possible tension, and I didn't like that there weren't branches, either, though the framing device (flashback) meant that there really couldn't be any explainable branches (unless they wanted to make Yuuri just a complete jerk and totally mindfuck Natsuhiko by adding new memories)

They didn't have to use that framing device if it made their story weaker. And that btw is totally my interpretation of Yuuri and Miyako's grand plan.

If I was Natsuhiko I'd prob keep myself AD'd after this till I hit my 20s since literally everyone he cherished lied to him for a decade.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, calling the vote. Once again, we have a landslide against Natsuhiko.

Also, this seems like an interesting discussion. I wish I could join in, but alas, I have chronic low standards, so I really just don't give a drat about these problems. I'm not really joking, either - I see the problems SSNeoman lists off, recognize them, say to myself "yeah, actually, that's a good point", and then amend it with "but really, I don't care". I think that all a story has to do is to give a certain base level of intrigue and twists, and then it's got me hooked. The twists don't even have to make sense! I actually liked Zero Time Dilemma, even with the almost offensively stupid big twist. Phantom Yuuri going from PTSD-ridden childhood friend to PTSD-symptom to hallucination created by aforementioned childhood friend in order to mitigate a PTSD coma doesn't even register on my radar as dumb, even though writing it out should make it impossible.

Intrigue, twists and a manipulative antagonist. Combine the three, and I'm a happy guy. And Root Double hits those three marks.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

TheMcD posted:

Alright, calling the vote. Once again, we have a landslide against Natsuhiko.

Also, this seems like an interesting discussion. I wish I could join in, but alas, I have chronic low standards, so I really just don't give a drat about these problems. I'm not really joking, either - I see the problems SSNeoman lists off, recognize them, say to myself "yeah, actually, that's a good point", and then amend it with "but really, I don't care". I think that all a story has to do is to give a certain base level of intrigue and twists, and then it's got me hooked. The twists don't even have to make sense! I actually liked Zero Time Dilemma, even with the almost offensively stupid big twist. Phantom Yuuri going from PTSD-ridden childhood friend to PTSD-symptom to hallucination created by aforementioned childhood friend in order to mitigate a PTSD coma doesn't even register on my radar as dumb, even though writing it out should make it impossible.

Intrigue, twists and a manipulative antagonist. Combine the three, and I'm a happy guy. And Root Double hits those three marks.

Yeah, while I gripe about Route Before being the weakest one, it still wouldn't stop me from enjoying the game, so meh.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

NINE YEARS WORTH OF CONVERSATION: 09/16/2030, 16:23 - PART 2

code:
Ukita:     IIIIII
Natsuhiko: I
And once more, the people looked at Natsuhiko, thought about it, and said ''nah''.

But just how detailed of a check should he run? Should he look through Ukita's memories in detail, or only the bare minimum...?

(I want to keep it to the bare minimum...)

He considered that course of action for a moment, but then Natsuhiko second guessed himself.

(... No, I really do want to know the details. Why would a diligent man like Mr. Ukita dabble in terrorism...?)

Natsuhiko decided to have a detailed look at Ukita's memories.

...Okay. Let's dive into Mr. Ukita's memory then...!

Hikorin, I'm here for you...

Natsuhiko nodded at her words, walked up to Ukita-- --and activated Senses Sympathy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Defragment: 04/15/2026, 08:23

After graduating from college and completing over 10 years of hard work in the field of physics-- His dream of being admitted into the ''6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization'' was fulfilled.

LABO was lying to the world. But that mattered little to Ukita. All that mattered to him was his own research. It was said that by joining LABO, a vastly accomplished laboratory, one's career was more or less set in stone. Ukita looked to his own future with pride and high hopes. And when he first visited LABO... He met -her-.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

I'm Miyoko Tenkawa, the supervisor of this section. I look forward to making your acquaintance.

The woman greeting him was none other than Dr. Miyoko Tenkawa, the world authority on elementary particle physics. She had been active in the world of physics before she'd even hit 20, and despite her young age, had soared her way up to become one of the highest ranked researchers at the facility.

(Finally... I can finally work actively in the most cutting edge elementary particle physics research under her leadership.)

Ukita was burning with passion that day. But after half a year of work at LABO--

He spent his breaks in between work in the reference room, worrying to himself as he pretended to look for documents.

(Dammit... why is it that everyone I know is getting results except for me?)

Up until that point, he'd basically never been inferior to anyone else when it came to his field of study. But even the most outstanding of prodigies were easily overshadowed in a sea of geniuses. And LABO was filled with that very sea.

(... Does all of my scientific training amount to nothing more than this?)

He gritted his teeth in frustration at the thought. Just then, he heard the sound of the door opening up behind him.

Oh? You're looking for some documents too, Mr. Ukita?
Oh, no... but are you looking for some yourself? I can give you a hand if you'd like.
Thank you, but I know where they are, so I'll be fine.

She reached out for the top of a bookshelf as she said that.

(What's going on? She looks a tad unsteady on her feet...)

Just as he thought that, he saw Dr. Tenkawa's knees give out.

--Look out!

Ukita quickly caught the professor, a number of papers raining to the floor.

Professor, are you all right!?
Oh, I'm sorry. I've been working several sleepless nights recently, so I was a bit dizzy...

She let go of Ukita and stepped away from him, but she was still walking on unsteady feet.

...Seriously, how pathetic of me. I didn't expect to be reduced to this after just three nights without sleep.
Three nights!? Wouldn't it be better for you to rest a little, then?
It's all right, I'm used to it.

Dr. Tenkawa put the fallen papers back on the shelf and tried to leave the room. Before he even knew what he was doing, Ukita called out to her.

U-Um, Dr. Tenkawa!
Huh?
How do you think I can become an amazing scientist like you?

The professor's eyes widened at that question.

An 'amazing scientist'... That sounds like something a child would say.
Ah, no, I, uh...
Just so you know, Mr. Ukita, I am by no means an amazing scientist. I've merely found a major problem that I need to solve. A problem worth forgoing sleep to research.
What do you mean... by a 'major problem'?

Dr. Tenkawa quietly answered Ukita's question.

...There's still so much we don't know about BC, and it's dangerous to leave it that way. We've kept this hidden from the world, but the truth is that if a high level Communicator misuses BC, there's a chance their mind will break.
Huh...!? I-is that true!?
Yes. Actually, there was a Communicator I once knew whose mind broke because they misused BC. That's why I'm working to solve the mysteries of BC. So that something like that doesn't happen again.
S-so... then that means you skip sleep and meals and immerse yourself in research so that all Communicators may have peace to look forward to... You're devoting your life to clearing a path for the Communicators' future?
It's nothing as grand as that. But if there's a problem out there, then I want to solve it with the power of science. Isn't that the thought that drives all scientists? I can't tell anyone about my research right now, but I believe that someday... the fruits of that research will benefit Communicators and society as a whole. That's all.

Ukita found his heart moved by Dr. Tenkawa's words. Now that he thought about it, he pursued his research wholeheartedly because he wanted to be acknowledged by the world. That's the kind of person he was. But Dr. Tenkawa was different. She'd likely achieved her current position out of a conviction to save Communicators. Ukita quickly grew embarrassed of himself the moment he realized that difference.

...Thank you, Dr. Tenkawa. You've helped me open my eyes.
I'm glad to hear that. Talking with you has made me feel a little less drowsy, too.

That wasn't exactly what Ukita meant, but... As the professor left the room, he felt that the mere sight of her was like looking at pure light.

He made efforts in research related to improving the BC insulator.

(If we can popularize a high-quality insulator, then friction between Communicators and normal people should decrease...)

It was with those thoughts that Ukita sought techniques to create low-priced insulators with high energy absorptivity, achieving results after results. And a year and a half later--

When she saw him, she broke out into a smile and spoke up to him.

Mr. Ukita, you've been working quite hard since that day, haven't you?
Huh...?
Congratulations. Human affairs has decided to promote you to a 'Junior Fellow'.
I... is that true?
Yes. As of tomorrow, you will be working for the research team directly under my command. I look forward to working with you.
--Yes! The honor's all mine!

Now he could finally work together with the scientist he so admired. Ukita's heart trembled with that thought.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

TheMcD posted:

But just how detailed of a check should he run? Should he look through Ukita's memories in detail, or only the bare minimum...?

(I want to keep it to the bare minimum...)

He considered that course of action for a moment, but then Natsuhiko second guessed himself.

(... No, I really do want to know the details. Why would a diligent man like Mr. Ukita dabble in terrorism...?)

Jesus Christ, Natsuhiko.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
To some degree, I think this is partially the result of going from After into Before. By the time we'd entered Before, we could to some degree extrapolate the circumstances of the previous week, with the sole exception of Mind-Yuuri. We knew who Salyu was, not to mention everyone else. We had a general idea of the background, who to suspect, and the end result. Because of that, Before became primarily background segments that also held clues people were also more well-equipped to pick up on.

Before into After does spoil some of the major recent aspects, but I think it flows better to go Before->After.

Edit: And yes, this extra detail is the result of your choice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why would Ukita do a terrorism?

"Oh boy I worked myself to death and now I can be a junior scientist!"

...yeah, okay, I'll buy it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Conflict: 04/20/2028, 13:27

Ukita had gotten special permission to enter Area N with Dr. Tenkawa that day.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

Ukita was overwhelmed by the six towers standing in the giant hall.

Well? What are your impressions of the genuine article?
I've heard about it before, but... it's incredible what LABO was able to create by mustering all of its efforts.
Indeed. But there's still a long way to go before it's completely stable. That's why you'll mainly be in charge of operating the WX particle amplifier. Most of that is conducted in the system control room though, so you likely won't get another chance to come back here.
I see... Incidentally, what is that transparent tube in the middle of the room?
I'm sorry. But that information is only to be divulged to 'Senior Fellows'.
So it's top secret information... I take it?
Yes. But leave your inquiries at that.

The look in Dr. Tenkawa's eyes became slightly pointed when she said that.

'Curiosity killed the cat'. It would be best for Junior Fellows to remember that phrase. I don't want to intimidate you, but it'd be safer for you not to take a government managed facility lightly. I take it you'd rather avoid any unnecessary trouble, yes?
U-understood. I'll keep that in mind.
Well, that matter aside... There's actually one more job I would like to entrust to you, Mr. Ukita.
Are there some data you'd like me to examine?
No. It's not related to your duties as a researcher. I'd like you to be my son's 'observer'.
What do you mean... by observer?
You see, my son Natsuhiko actually has an IGF2R Gene Abnormality of Type S.
Type S!? That's--!
Yes. An extremely rare occurrence. They say it occurs in only one out of every 30 million births. But Natsuhiko hasn't manifested his BC abilities once. However, LABO still cannot ignore his case. Thus they've made him an observation target. His former observer lived in the house across from ours, but he retired the other day. And you live next door to us, so--
--Please wait a moment. I live right next door to you?
Oh? Were you not aware of that?
Not at all. We haven't seen each other once in our neighborhood, so...
True, perhaps we never did have any opportunities for that. I practically live here in LABO now, after all. Anyway... could you please be his observer? All you have to do is watch to see if his BC abilities ever manifest and report at least a little bit about his day to day life.

Dr. Tenkawa was always extraordinarily busy. There was no doubt that she had very few opportunities to see her son.

Understood. I'll accept your request.

Natsuhiko had been given the rather pretentious designation of ''Special Observation Target Na2''.

A thought suddenly crossed Ukita's mind as he wrote his report on Natsuhiko's day to day life.

(Could that mean that Mashiro has feelings for Natsuhiko...?)

A smile crossed Ukita's face as that guess filled his mind. However, his emotions soon changed when reality hit him. He'd already heard from Dr. Tenkawa that Mashiro Toba had an IGF2R Gene Abnormality of Type B. Those with IGF2R genetic mutations were doomed with short lifespans. According to statistics, the life expectancy of Communicators who were Type B and higher was roughly 33 years. Ukita himself had just turned 33. The thought that Natsuhiko and Mashiro might not even make it to his age was heartwrenching.

(... I want to protect their futures.)

And it was extremely likely that the fact she had a Type S son had only strengthened her desire to save Communicators.

(But... what does Dr. Tenkawa plan on doing if her son, a special observation target, manifests his BC abilities? No, now that I think about it, I've never been told why special observation targets exist to begin with. Natsuhiko has been designated as ''Na2'', which means there was likely a ''Na'' that came before him...)

Ukita accessed the network using his Observer authority and typed ''Target Na'' in the search engine on that hunch. But he found nothing relevant. All records had probably been deleted for some reason. He then just tried searching ''Special Observation Target''--

(What's this... ''How to deal with special observation targets''?)

Ukita opened the file under that name.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

(...!? ''They will be imprisoned in Area Zero as a test subject''!? What... what does this mean!? What in the world is Area Zero...!?)

As soon as he thought that-- he suddenly remembered what he'd seen in Area N.

(... What if that was actually an elevator leading underground...!?)

It wouldn't be all that odd for there to be a place under Area N that normal researchers didn't know about.

(S-so what does that mean...? Does this document suggest that special observation targets whose abilities manifest are imprisoned under Area N!?)

Special Observation Target Na2-- Natsuhiko-- still hadn't manifested his BC abilities. That was probably why he'd been able to live a normal life ever since surveillance on him began in 2021, but--

(... Will Natsuhiko be confined if his abilities manifest? What's more, this proposal mentioned ''a currently confined test subject''... Meaning that they have at least one test subject confined in Area Zero at this very moment!?)

Ukita tried typing ''Area Zero'' into the search engine with shaky fingers. But when he did, the only thing his monitor displayed was--

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

(Confidentiality Level 5...!)

It appeared Ukita could not access the information with his ID and password. But on the other hand, if there were people out there with Level 5 clearance and up...

(So that means only a select few researchers know about the existence of any ''test subjects''. But... what are the Senior Fellows hiding from us Junior Fellows? Test subjects for what!?)

In the first place, ''test subject'' was a word that was used to talk about mice and such used for experiments. But if that word was being used to talk about a human, then that meant--

(It can't be... Is LABO performing human experimentation...!? ... N-no! I won't believe it! There's no way that LABO-- that Dr. Tenkawa would ever partake in such barbarity!)

But the seed of doubt in Ukita kept on growing day by day-- And before he knew it, one day he started searching for information on any test subjects.

Th-this is...!

Ukita was shocked at what was written there.

--If he hadn't had any context about the document, Ukita probably wouldn't have paid all that much attention about it. But when he put together all the information he'd gathered so far, a doubt rose to his mind.

(It says here that this Senior Fellow S... was in charge of Area Zero-- What if he did all that to try to get the ''test subject'' out of LABO!? Could the ''research results designated as 'N''' be a secret code name for the test subject!?)

It was nothing more than a guess, but Ukita felt he was on the right track.

(...S probably took advantage of the fire to try to get the test subject out of the facility. But LABO found out about what he did...)

He remembered what Dr. Tenkawa had once told him.

The words once spoken by the woman he respected so much now sounded horribly cruel.

(I knew it... LABO really is secretly conducting human experimentation...!)

Ukita's body started trembling the moment that suspicion turned into conviction. He alone was being tormented by the fear of having looked into the abyss. --Three days later. Ukita decided to question Dr. Tenkawa as a scientist.

My sincerest apologies. There's something that I simply must ask you about. I am certain every scientist has thought of this at least once... But do you believe that robbing the happiness of one to develop the technology to save a million is forgivable?

The professor answered Ukita's question honestly as if she'd realized how serious he was.

Ethically speaking, no. However... It's something we must do even if it's not forgivable.
Huh?
What we're dealing with is a 'power' that is very high-risk in human hands. If humanity can choose whether or not to use BC, then I don't think they should use it. But regardless of our wishes, more and more new Communicators are being born. So there's no chance that we can stop researching it. We can't leave a power that mindbogglingly strong unchecked.
Just like you say, maybe it is necessary to continue with BC research. But shouldn't we think more carefully about the methods involved in that? We have our ethics as scientists and our ethics as humans. I believe it is when we forget those things that technology goes down the wrong path. What are your thoughts on that?
Huh...? Hold on, what sort of question is this?
Please just answer the question. I need to hear it.
...Perhaps you're right. However... At the end of the day, all we can do is pursue the truth and solve the problems before us. Whether that's good or evil is not for us to decide. It is history's job to vindicate or vilify us. That is the way science has always continued to progress. So likewise, I will do whatever it takes to achieve my goal as nothing more than one of those scientists.

With those words, something precious in Ukita crumbled apart with a roar.

In that case... please let me ask you one more question. What do you plan on doing with Natsuhiko if his BC abilities manifest?
!? ...Mr. Ukita... don't tell me you...?

Ukita didn't answer her question. Finally, she sighed and spoke.

...Mr. Ukita. As of today, you are hereby relieved of your duty of observing Na2. And as of tomorrow, you will be transferred to another research team.
...Is that your answer, Dr. Tenkawa?

But Dr. Tenkawa didn't answer and simply walked away from Ukita.

♪ BGM: Abyss

The sky was filled with heavy clouds that threatened to start raining at any moment.

...Hahah...

He'd started laughing to himself without even noticing it.

Ha, hahah, hahahah... I worked myself to the bone all this time because I wanted to save Communicators... I finally grew a desire to do something for other's sakes... Yet I never would have guessed that LABO of all places was using those very same Communicators for their own experiments... Hahah, what a sick joke...

He couldn't stop the dry laughter coming from his throat. Suddenly, he noticed that there were tears running down his cheeks.

(... Must I find a clear solution to this? As a scientist, must I write off this sacrifice as insignificant in the grand scheme of things...?)

Indeed. If he had just committed himself to that mindset, he could've continued living his life as he had up until this point. He could've lived as a highly paid LABO scientist with no inconveniences in his life. Whatever happened to that test subject he'd never even seen before would've had no bearing on him. He should have had no issues with any of that. Yet--

...Preposterous... There is no way in hell I can accept that...!

He couldn't bear to live in such complacency.

Scientists and test subjects are both humans! No just cause in the world is worth sacrificing them!

An emotion welled up from his heart when he shouted that.

(I have to put a stop to it...!)

It was a rage that smashed his devotion to his job to pieces. There was also the pure disgust of participating in such wrongdoings. But by no means was that all. Oddly enough, it was what Dr. Tenkawa had shown him that gave him this conviction. Her good heart that lived for others.

...I'll do it... I'll saved that trapped test subject...!

He was probably the only one in the city who knew of the test subject and wanted to free them. If he were the only one who could act, then inaction was a sin.

(... Perhaps my motivation is but a fragile, powerless sense of justice. Perhaps I'll be erased just like Senior Fellow S was...!)

Regardless, Ukita turned around and glared at LABO's gargantuan shadow. Cold rain suddenly poured down and crashed upon him. But the flame that had been lit in the depths of his heart would never go out.

Tips posted:

TIP: Conflict
Category: Includes fiction

A disagreement or contention. In the information technology business, the term refers to when two pieces of software or hardware cannot run optimally on the same system concurrently due to competition for the same memory space or other resource.

Computer systems and programs should avoid conflicts, but recent thinking suggests that a certain amount of conflict between humans is healthy or even desirable. By pitting opinions and ideologies against each other, people can gain a deeper understanding of each other and hopefully form a platform for open discussion.

However, the conflict between Ukita and Miyoko was all too decisive to resolve. When Ukita came to that realization, he ended up joining Q. From one extreme to another. That is perhaps both his greatest strength and his greatest weakness.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I know I shouldn't really expect anything else, but it always kind of weirds me out when a story takes "it is evil to sacrifice one life to save one million lives" as obvious and a given.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, its clear that LABO's way of doing things will usually create people like poor Subject N, so yes its clear that what they are doing is evil. Part of this story is a reflection of the human experimentation that Japan did in the past, which was quite inhuman.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat, go Ukita! He sniffed out the mystery all on his own!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
You'd think documents about LABO's mega-ultra-secret Area Zero would be a little better protected :ughh:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

You'd think documents about LABO's mega-ultra-secret Area Zero would be a little better protected :ughh:

As somebody who sees an ever growing stack of paper in the "shred this" bin on the desk next to him, I recognize that getting rid of paper that you probably should be getting rid of is a very difficult task to do during work, because it's incredibly hard to not look like a slacker by volunteering to shred.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
well, okay, Ukita seems a lot more reasonable now, and Dr. Tenkawa, good intentions or not, seems even shittier as a person. sure, she had ~reasons~. She thought she was doing the right thing, and protecting her son. But her idea of how to do right by humanity and her son is horrific.
The work done by LABO could not be ethically justified even to save the entirety of humanity, in my opinion. What LABO has done is a clear cross over the moral event horizon, and Dr. Tenkawa's rode right on over it with a string of self-serving rationalizations. Maybe to the writers of the game and other people here, her good intentions matter. But they shouldn't.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Eriguchi and whatever the other one's name was continue to be both evil and incompetent.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Interlace: 07/21/2028, 16:22

He began his lonely battle.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

The only work he did was the mind-numbing process of examining data sent to him. A fitting job for someone who had been kicked upstairs. There was a surveillance camera in his office, so he would've been found out immediately if he ever showed the slightest sign of doing anything suspicious. --But they couldn't read his mind. Ukita was thinking over his next course of action as he did his job.

(What should I do...? How can I stop the human experimentation? The Rokumei City government must be in cahoots with LABO if they're keeping up such a large-scale cover-up. So that means going to the police is out of the question. And leaking word out to the media... will be difficult as well.)

LABO performed a strict body search on anyone entering or leaving the facility, so it'd be extremely hard to smuggle out damning documents. And what's more, Ukita still didn't know anything more than the basic details about the test subject. One wrong step and he'd most likely meet the same fate that Senior Fellow S had.

(... Then that means the only reliable groups are...)

He then posted a question to the users on those forums. ''Do you think you could forgive Rokumei City if it turned out they were secretly using Communicators for human experimentation?'' But their responses only served to betray Ukita's hopes each time. Their comments of ''think you're getting a tad delusional there'' and ''lol conspiracy theorists'' showed that not only did they not believe him at all, but they also didn't have any sense of impending danger.

(Dammit, what should I do? The test subject could be suffering even at this moment! So how...!)

--Just then... Ukita's PDA rang with a faint beep. He took it out and looked at the display to find it read ''Caller Unknown''. Though it made him feel vaguely anxious, he still picked up the phone.

...Hello?
???: Speaker U, I presume?
Wha...!? Wh-who are you!? No, first things first, how do you know who I am!?

Ukita had taken special precautions every time he participated in a forum discussion to keep his identity from being leaked.

(But someone's actually calling me! That means--!?)

Just then, the voice on the other end spoke gently as if he'd anticipated Ukita would panic.

???: Wait, hold on. I'd like to hear your story before you hear mine.
My story...?
???: I am quite interested in the things you've been writing. I'd like to have a more in-depth discussion about them-- However, our talk will get a tad complicated. Could we perhaps move this discussion somewhere else?
Do you mean... you want to meet me face-to-face?
???: Something like that. So come to the location I am about to give you. Alone. You're free to refuse, of course.

For some odd reason, Ukita couldn't defy that voice.

(If this is a trap by LABO... then I might be erased.)

He kept up his guard when he walked into the ruins, but there were no signs of anyone else there.

Hey! Is someone there!?

Ukita's shouts echoed ineffectually through the ruins. Ukita became convinced that it might've been a trap and was about to run for it-- --when he spotted a shining object in a corner on the floor.

What's that...?

He walked over to the object and picked it up. It was a PDA. The words ''Call in progress'' were displayed on its screen. Ukita timidly pressed it to his ear... and then heard the voice of the man who had called him earlier.

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

???: Good. Looks like you really did come.
...What's the meaning of this? Don't tell me that you don't plan on showing your own face after you called me out here?
???: I truly am sorry, but I cannot meet with you face-to-face. It would be impossible for me to enter Rokumei City due to my social status. So I prepared this PDA and had a friend of mine deliver it to that location.
What? Why would you choose such a roundabout method to contact me...? Wouldn't it have been better to just keep talking on the phone if you never intended to meet me face-to-face anyway?
???: Oh my, then you don't know? All the phones in Rokumei City-- --are tapped.
Wha!?

Ukita gasped. Though he had indeed heard rumors to that effect, he simply dismissed them as a rather sick joke--

???: Rokumei City has created a voice analysis system that analyzes the vast amount of voice data exchanged over all phone calls in the city. Should anyone say anything of inconvenience over the phone, it will automatically be intercepted and reported to the security department. Something like this, for example-- 'can you all forgive Rokumei City?'.
Th-then does that mean this conversation's being monitored too...?
???: No, this PDA is a direct call digital transceiver that doesn't go through any relay stations. The call's also encrypted, so we don't have to worry about unwanted ears listening in.

Ukita felt his spine grow cold as they talked. He was of course shocked about the tapping, but he also felt spooked out at just how throughly prepared the caller had been.

???: Anyway, relax. We can talk all we want with this PDA.
W-wait a moment. Before we get into that... let me ask you something. Who in the world are you?
???: Me, huh. I'm--

The man paused before he answered Ukita's question.

???: If I said 'Q', would you know what I meant?
Q!? That terrorist group that hates Communicators!?
Q: No. We are not terrorists. I plan to tell you the whole story about that-- but I'd like to propose something to you first. As I'm sure you've already realized, you are trying to take on an enemy that is too big for you fight alone. So what do you say about using us to achieve your goal?
D-don't be absurd! My goal is to save the Communicators imprisoned in LABO! I could never accept help from people who hate Communicators like--
Q: No. It is not Communicators that we hate.
Huh? What was that...?
Q: We are indeed not fond of Communicators. But what we hate above all else is the Rokumei City government.
Why them?
Q: Q was once not a terrorist organization. We were a simple citizen group with good intentions. We pleaded our case to the world: 'it is only a natural right to not want others reading your mind'. But that didn't go by so well. We caught the eye of the Rokumei City government, who then had us framed as a terrorist organization.

About how a Communicator called ''A'' caused the Great Rokumei City Arson 14 years ago on September 16, 2014. About how in spite of that, the Rokumei City government had covered up the facts and blamed the entire incident on Q. About how A had been confined in LABO after that-- and then passed away a year later. Hearing that story finally gave Ukita the information he needed to connect all the dots together.

(I see... so that's why LABO has been confining Communicators with immense power like A's under the facility...!)

LABO's research probably benefited tremendously from taking Communicators as powerful as A and using them as test subjects. That was how they'd been able to produce so many results up until that point.

...So what you're saying is that the true culprits of the Great Rokumei City Arson are Communicator A and the 15 men and women she infected with her malice, correct...?
Q: Yes. And those 15 people had nothing to do with us. They were just normal citizens in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Rokumei City government covered up the truth behind the incident. However, that simply turned the whole thing into an incoherent mess. No one would ever believe an absurd story that 15 unrelated men and women just happened to all commit arson on the same night. So to fill in the inconsistencies, the Rokumei City government decided to use our group as a scapegoat. We were branded as extremists who hated Communicators so much that we set fire to the city-- Thereby lumping us in with the i5 true culprits of the Great Arson and receiving the same blame they did. We were then sentenced to jail. By the time we were released, our group was no more. The former members had all dispersed. We pleaded our innocence afterwards, but none believed us. It seemed as if our voices would fade away for good... but we didn't give up. We gathered up our scattered members a few years later and rebuilt the organization into its current form. We felt that if Rokumei City called us a terrorist organization, then we should turn that lie into the truth. We will do whatever is necessary to achieve that...! Even if it means taking up arms!
Why are you doing all this? To prove your innocence?
Q: That's not all. Far from it. We have chosen this path to protect society.
To protect... society?
Q: ...The thing we've all taken home from the Great Rokumei City Arson is that BC is an extremely dangerous power. A power that is very high-risk in human hands by its very nature.
...!

Ukita gasped. In what was perhaps the epitome of irony, those words mirrored the ones he once heard from the woman he had respected.

Q: You understand as well that BC is something that the world would have been far safer being ignorant of, don't you?
Y-yes...
Q: But they keep its true self hidden away from public knowledge and only emphasize the good parts of it. Even if problems do arise, they'll either deal with it behind closed doors, cover it up, or announce it to the public in a false, sugarcoated form. -That- is what we truly cannot forgive...! A small percentage of people influence society's trends, make a mockery of the sanctity of individuality, and show no remorse for their deeds. If that is decreed to be the natural order of things, the way that society is structured-- Then don't we have to object to it even if it means separating from that structure? Don't we have to pose the unrelenting questions to this insidious world, through our own actions!?

Every word the man spoke hit Ukita to the core. For he had been thinking the exact same things ever since he discovered the existence of the test subject.

Q: ...I'll ask you one more time. What do you want to do? Tell me what it is you feel you must do.

Ukita answered the question in a clear voice.

I... want to save them. I want to save whoever LABO's imprisoned as a test subject, no matter what it takes. I simply cannot allow them to continue that barbaric research...!

Those words came straight from the bottom of his heart. The man from Q appeared to have expected that answer.

Q: ...That's right. Meanwhile, we wish to expose LABO and Rokumei City's treachery. So how about it? Doesn't it sound like we share a common interest?
Well, that may be true, but...
Q: We are your tools. We will prepare everything you'll need. The rest depends on if you have the will to act-- that's all.

He -did- have that will.

Very well. I'll accept your offer. However, promise me one thing. Swear you won't harm any test subjects that get rescued.
Q: You have my word. Our goal is to return to a world where we can advocate our natural rights.

And thus Ukita decided to join Q. --He then spent his days after that secretly working in LABO to gain the information he'd need for the plan. He'd occasionally hack a Senior Fellow's computer. It was a very risky move, but he always took the utmost of caution, and in time, he gathered more and more information.

(They're children named Subject N, Subject Y, and Subject Y-II. If one of them was born in LABO, that means they must have abducted the other ones... But it says here that one of them has already been ''discarded''... So that means they died...!? They'll pay for this... I swear I'll save the other two test subjects...!)

(Its specifications were revised to be stricter after 2021, huh... How are we going to get past this?)

(But it's not something I can do alone--...)

--As he quickly gathered more and more information, the structure of the plan began to form in Ukita's mind. After about a year or so had passed, he reported his life-endangering plan to Q.

Q: Incredible! It sounds like it'll be enough to overcome LABO's strict security.
But I do not believe I can accomplish this all by myself. It's essential that we get help from a firefighter or someone.
Q: Understood. Then leave the recruitment of our new comrade to us.
No, all you have to do is pick out people who look like plausible candidates. I'd like to select my own collaborators.
Q: ...Does that mean you still don't fully trust us?
Isn't that only natural? I don't even know your face and name.
Q: Fair point... Very well. Then start your investigation into the matter right away. I don't think I have to remind you, but be careful about your calls being tapped when you're recruiting our potential comrade. I'll prepare another digital transceiver for you. Use it.

Ukita did exactly what he said on that front.

Ukita got home from work to find a PDA in his mailbox. It had to be the digital transceiver meant for the call. He checked the data folder to find a file labeled ''comrade candidates''.

(Hmm... Captain Watase Kasasagi of the special elite rescue squad ''Sirius'', huh...)

The file contained information beginning with basics like his address and phone number to extensive details such as his personal history. Surprisingly enough, it even contained key points to be used in persuading him.

But... how did they obtain all this information...? (Just who in the world is that man who calls himself part of ''Q''?)

Tips posted:

TIP: Juro Sonezaki
Category: Fiction

A top member of Q. Once he learned that LABO was conducting top secret BC research under the front of atomic power research, he swore to bring Rokumei City's deceit to light by any means necessary.

He is wanted as the principal offender for the Great Rokumei City Arson, but his whereabouts are unknown. Nevertheless, Q's membership is steadily growing, giving it influence over even the police and the hospitals.

People without BC abilities have long been uneasy about BC and Communicators, but for unknown reasons, Sonezaki's hatred for BC far outstrips that of average people.

Information regarding Q is thoroughly regulated within Rokumei City to the point that its existence is at most nothing more than common gossip among young people who are fond of the internet and are familiar with the name.

Judging from his attitude, he most likely was telling the truth about being a member. But Ukita had grown uneasy about how the man always seemed to know exactly what he was thinking.

(I feel I can rely on him now, but I don't think he's someone I'd ever open my heart to...)

That was exactly why Ukita had wanted to pick the person he'd truly call his comrade on his own. Ukita took a deep breath, then took the PDA and dialed Watase's number.

Mr. Watase Kasasagi, I presume?
Umm... who is this?
I'm not one to give away my name. The truth is, there is something I'd like to tell you.

Ukita then began talking in a quiet voice, following the information Q had prepared for him. The words he'd need to recruit his comrade...

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Man, I'm an idiot. I just realized "Pose the Question to the World" is named after Q's ideology.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Man, I'm an idiot. I just realized "Pose the Question to the World" is named after Q's ideology.

Yeah, it took me a long time until it finally clicked, too. I suddenly realized "huh, that song seems to keep playing when the topic is terrorism or Q..." and then it went click.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Garbage Collection: 07/07/2029, 23:18

The two of them worked on the plan together. What they most hated were ''Rokumei City'' and ''LABO''. So they planned to deal a fatal blow to them by saving the test subjects. It was an extremely dangerous plan, but with Watase's help, it looked like it might just work.

Tips posted:

TIP: Garbage collection
Category: Includes fiction

A computer memory management function. Clears memory space occupied by objects no longer used by the program to allow the program to operate in a more agreeable fashion.

The garbage refers to the unused memory space.

A garbage collector is also someone who takes away trash from residences and businesses. A dirty job, but someone has to do it. When Ukita decided to join Q and launch a terrorist attack on LABO, perhaps he saw himself as a garbage collector, clearing LABO of its filth so that it may operate in a more agreeable fashion.

Ukita decided he'd use an ''ultrasonic wave detonator'' to detonate the bombs while watching the explosions from the monitors in the surveillance room. Furthermore, the PA wasn't limited to facility-wide broadcasts, but could also selectively choose which areas to broadcast to. If he used that feature to his advantage, then it was in theory possible to make the bombs go off only in places without people. Ultrasonic waves could not be heard by the human ear, so he didn't have to worry about someone realizing what was going on. He also prepared various kinds of sound data to cause the detonations-- for both timed and instant explosions. By loading the data into his PDA, Ukita could detonate the bombs in the facility whenever he wanted... --The plan then proceeded smoothly-- Then one day, a year later...

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Mmmph, checkmate, huh... Looks like losing that piece at the start really did cost me the game.
Security Guard: Hahahah, up for another round?
No, I may have a crappy job, but I need to get back to it now or I'll be in trouble. We'll have to save that rematch for next time.
Security Guard: Then I'd really appreciate it if you could bring some of that coffee next time you drop by. Me and the rest of the boys here think it tastes great.
I'm glad to hear that. Guess that's the one good thing you can say about me, huh?

These games and conversations were also a part of his plan. Ukita then left the surveillance room--

--and happened to come across Dr. Tenkawa.

Mr. Ukita? What are you doing in a place like this?
D-Dr. Tenkawa...!

Ukita felt surprised, but he managed to compose himself and replied with a normal look on his face.

Oh, just loafing around with this security guard I know. I have a lot more time to kill these days, you see.
...I see.
Though that said, I've wasted a bit too much time. I'd better be getting back to work. If you'll excuse me.

Ukita then quickly tried to leave. However--

Wait, Mr. Ukita.
Huh?
...I received an inquiry from Security Sector 6 yesterday. They wanted to know why I had you taken off the team.

Security Sector 6-- he wasn't familiar with that name, but it was most likely a division of Rokumei City's security department.

...So what did you tell them?
Nothing. Just that I took you off the team because you didn't have the aptitude or the ability for it, that's all.
(Huh...? What's that mean? Why did the professor lie for me? Impossible... could it be that deep down, she has her misgivings about the current state of LABO?)

Ukita rose one more question to Dr. Tenkawa in order to confirm that.

...Then could you perhaps answer the question that you left unanswered that day? What do you plan on doing if Natsuhiko's powers manifest?

Dr. Tenkawa grew quiet much like she had that one day-- and then she spoke up in a faint voice.

...I'll incarcerate him.
Wha...!? How can you call yourself his mother after saying that!?

Dr. Tenkawa glared at Ukita when she heard that question and raised her voice.

How can I call myself his mother...!? You don't even begin to understand!
!
I love my son. There's nothing else in the world I treasure more than him. But Rokumei City, LABO, and my research are all required for him to keep on living a peaceful life. That's why I'm...!

The professor bit her lip resentfully when she said that, almost as if she were trying to convince herself it were true.

(Could they be using Natsuhiko... as a sort of hostage against her?)

If that were true, then Ukita's plan would most likely end up saving Dr. Tenkawa as well. No-- that's what Ukita hoped for.

...I apologize for asking you such a bizarre question again. I know it's late for me to be saying this, but I am grateful for you covering for me. Our ways of thinking may differ, but you really are an amazing person...
...Mr. Ukita.
You know, Dr. Tenkawa, if it were ever possible... I wish that we could work together once again.

With those words, Ukita left. He could tell Dr. Tenkawa was still looking at him, but he ignored her.

(... If possible, huh. But... in the end, it's just a dream that will never come true.)

Ukita had learned the truth about LABO.

(I've gone too far to turn back now, Professor...)

--But an unexpected change happened on his way home that day.

(Have those cars... been tailing me the whole time...?)

They kept on sticking to his tail even after he'd slowed down.

(Could they be from that Security Sector 6 thing the professor spoke of?)

Ukita's phone suddenly rang at that thought.

!!

Ukita felt his heart leap out of his chest at the abrupt sound of a ringtone. He frantically shifted his car into ADS mode and picked up his PDA.

Hello?

The voice that came out of the other line was the man from Q's.

Sonezaki: ...It seems that you're being watched.
H... how did you know that!?
Sonezaki: We have collaborators even inside the security department. They could more or less tell from the way that those guys are acting. Anyway, your car could have bugs in it, so choose your responses carefully. Try to make it sound like you're having a normal conversation.
A-all right...!
Sonezaki: I'll make this very quick. It is very bad that they have you under surveillance, considering you're the core of the plan. But it seems the boys at the security department are still having trouble deciding which end of the gray zone you're on. So we'd like you to be a 'victim' of our terrorism in order to throw their eyes off of you.
Huh?
Sonezaki: We will commence diversionary tactics in various places all over Rokumei City starting tomorrow to improve the plan's chances for success. By getting you caught up in one of them, we can trick those people into thinking you're just a virtuous citizen. There will be some danger involved, but do you understand?
That's... understood. Well, I'll manage somehow.

It didn't change the fact that he was in a dangerous situation either way.

Sonezaki: Then I'll send the details to your PDA. There's a chance there are bugs and surveillance cameras in your home as well, so check it outside.

The man hung up with those words. Ukita checked the rear-view mirror to find his pursuers apparently still on his trail.

(For this hardship to show up now of all times...!)

Ukita gripped the handle tightly and glared into the rear-view mirror. --A few days later-- The plan to pass off Ukita as a ''victim'' was put into action. His car had its ADS and brakes sabotaged, and was crashed on purpose. Ukita had figured that his problems with the people watching him would be solved when it was passed off as an act by Q, but--

He hadn't expected in the slightest that he'd get stuck in the car with its whole frame bent out of shape. To make matters worse, that wasn't all--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Shivers ran up Ukita's spine when he caught a whiff of an unpleasant odor coming from outside.

(This smell is-- g-gasoline!? O-oh no!)

If he burned to death in what was supposed to have been a diversionary tactic, it would be one of the most ridiculous screw-ups in history. But his body was so hurt that he couldn't even twitch the way he wanted. There was no escape.

(This isn't good! If I don't get out of here, then I'll die for real--!)

--At that moment...

!?

The voice that echoed in his brain was familiar to him.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

But Ukita was at a loss for words when he learned that Natsuhiko was the one responsible for that telepathy.

Listen closely, you two. This is important. Strange things might start happening around you from now on. Hopefully I'm just being a little paranoid... no, I probably am.

That was both a warning for Natsuhiko and an admonition for himself. If his plan failed, then not only would LABO and Rokumei City's wrongdoings remain in the darkness, but Natsuhiko would also likely be incarcerated.

(I must do whatever it takes to make the plan succeed!)

Ukita swore that.

Thanks to that, all surveillance on Ukita had finally dropped. However...

(Is this all really necessary for the success of the plan...!?)

Though he was conflicted, he knew the die had already been cast. --Then on September 15, one day before the plan was to be carried out-- An unexpected accident occurred. Natsuhiko and his friends had predicted Q's terrorist plot!

Ukita shuddered when he heard Natsuhiko say that.

(I never expected some of the people I'm trying to help would pose an obstacle to the plan...!)

Ukita hid how shaken up he felt as he promised Natsuhiko and his friends that he'd ensure LABO's security was beefed up, then left for the time being.

Ukita called Watase on his PDA as he drove his car.

--Hello.
Captain Kasasagi? Sorry, but there's an emergency!

Ukita explained the Circumstances to Watase who then replied in a hard voice.

--Silence them, huh?
Not like we've got a choice...
You're telling us... to kill children?
Don't go that far. Just threaten them and tie them up. ...Captain Kasasagi, please. I don't like the idea of this any better than you do... but it's for those kids' good too.

Ukita then hung up.

It didn't take long for his PDA to ring.

We took care of them.
You didn't harm them, did you?
Relax. We did exactly as you said. I don't want to hurt kids either, you know.
I see...

It seemed Watase truly was a man he could place his trust in.

(On the other hand, Q's people are just... Is it just me, or was it like they were just looking for an excuse to blow up the PRC out of simple revenge? If they look at Communicators with hostility, then I must do whatever it takes to protect the test subjects...!)

It was with that thought that Ukita continued talking to Watase.

Say, Captain Kasasagi? I have a favor to ask you...
What's that?
Can you promise me again that you won't kill anyone no matter what happens?
Yeah, I swear I won't. My sister's life was stolen because of Rokumei City's twisted ambitions. So I'll never stoop to their level.
I see... thank you.

Ukita hung up, then stared at the gargantuan mammoth that was LABO. --D-day had finally come.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Enter: 09/16/2030, 05:30

September 16, 5:30 AM--

Security Guard 1: Zzz, zzz, zzz, zzz...
Security Guard 2: Kahshhhhhh, kahshhhhhhh...

--were all out cold in a deep sleep. This had all been due to the powerful sleeping agent Ukita had mixed into their coffee half an hour ago.

(Looks like losing all those games of chess was worth it after all...)

Ukita allowed himself a small chuckle at that, then went to the engine room to bring the sprinkler system offline. Then at 6:19 AM-- Ukita returned to the surveillance room, then immediately checked the monitors to confirm no one was in Area 1's inner ring.

...Okay then, let's begin.

He muttered that to persuade himself, then turned on the PA to Area 1's inner ring. Next, he took out his PDA and played the immediate detonation sound file. The ultrasonic waves then played over the PA-- The explosions and shockwaves from Area 1's inner ring faintly reached the surveillance room.

(Next order of business is Areas 2 and 3... Okay, no one's around the bombs-- now!)

He then detonated the bombs one after another, causing LABO's automatic PA to start broadcasting.

Automatic PA: --A fire has broken out in B1 Area 2. --A fire has broken out in B2 Area 3. --A fire has broken out in B1 Area 5. Security has shifted to 'Evacuation Mode'. All gates, barring those leading to Area N, have been opened. All personnel, please calmly evacuate to the surface levels.

(Perfect! The warning system is active! It should be sending a dispatch request to Sirius right about now! --I have to evacuate the rest of the staff while they're on their way here!)

Ukita adopted a tone of desperation as he spoke into the facility's PA.

Th-this is an emergency broadcast! Explosions of unknown origin have just occurred within the facility! From our current understanding of the situation, explosions occurred simultaneously in ten different locations inside the facility. Fires have broken out as a result! Researchers Eriguchi and Kashiwagi! Please come to Area 2 posthaste! I wish to consult the two of you about taking out top secret data!

--With the pieces for the plan now all in place, he stopped broadcasting for the time being. By then, a great clamor of people desperately running for their lives had already begun, even right outside the surveillance room.

Please help! The security guards in here are unconscious! Take them outside!
Staff Member 1: O-okay. But what about you?
I'll stay here and lead the evacuation! Don't worry about me and just get out of here!

Ukita then ran on over to the control room.

Ukita had learned a while back that they were using the WX particle amplifier this morning to conduct some sort of experiment. He shouted at the group of people there still manning their posts.

What are you people doing!? Hurry up and get out of here!
Researcher 1: But the amplifier is still online--
Brain Cell will automatically take care of shutting it off if you leave it alone, right!? And even in the event that fails, you can still turn it off from the remote control room on the surface level! Just hurry up and get out of here! If you die, it'll all be for nothing!
Researcher 2: --R-right!

And with that shout, the researchers all scrambled out of the room.

(Good, now's my chance--!)

Now that he had cleared the room of people, Ukita walked up to Brain Cell's control panel. He checked the monitor to find that the WX particle amplifier was apparently maintaining a steady output of ''500 mSv''. If left on its own, those levels would automatically decrease. But Ukita swiftly operated the control panel and rose its output to maximum. --The particle readings then gradually began to rise. ''501 mSv'', ''502 mSv'', ''504 mSv''...!

(... Good, this should soon render the amplifier out of control!)

It truly was a device that required the utmost attention to operate. It easily went haywire when the output was intentionally set to maximum.

(It's do or die from here on out!)

Ukita ran out of the control room.

All that remained was a security card someone had dropped. Ukita picked it up and continued his acts of destruction as he made further broadcasts. The clamor soon grew faint, and eventually, he could no longer spot anyone on the monitors. Ukita quickly picked up the receiver of the ringing extension phone.

Hello, this is the surveillance room.
Security Guard: Oh... so someone's still there!? This is the surface floor surveillance room. I hate to cut to the chase, but who are you? According to the roll call, three staff members are still in the basement: Eriguchi, Kashiwagi, and Ukita--
Understood! I will find those two posthaste and have them evacuate!

Ukita shouted that, then hung up the phone. ''Eriguchi'' and ''Kashiwagi'' were the two researchers Ukita had summoned over the PA earlier. According to the listing he checked beforehand, both of them had the authority to enter Area Zero. It was likely that Watase and his coworkers had already arrived and caught them at this point. Once Ukita had determined that, he turned back to the PA's mic and spoke.

According to the roll-call on the ground floor, evacuation of all staff members has been confirmed! In the unlikely event that anyone besides staff members has been left behind, please escape through Areas 5 and 6 immediately!

He made that broadcast as a sign for Watase and his coworkers just to be safe. But he wouldn't waste time waiting for them to arrive.

The levels in Area N were at ''2315 mSv''. The value was rising at a good pace. Brain Cell had begun efforts to perform an emergency shutdown on the amplifier, but it was too late. The monitor showed that the shutdown and the dampening of the particles were scheduled to finish at ''18:16''.

(About 11 hours left to go! Good, everything's gone perfectly up to this point!)

And when he went back to the surveillance room--

We'll head on down to Area Zero and rescue the test subjects.
I'll stay here and keep an eye out to make sure nothing unexpected happens.

Watase nodded, then proceeded to run out of the room with Dojima and Hiyama. But then they didn't come back when expected. A Case N hadn't been declared yet, either.

(They're taking too long...! What's keeping them!? I thought I made it clear to them they'd be in real danger once the particle levels exceeded 4000 mSv!)

But his thoughts were immediately interrupted by the sudden nigh-deafening ringing of a siren.

Automatic PA: --A 'Case N' has just been detected. In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Locking down all gates and bulkheads.

Ukita checked the time in surprise to find that Watase and his coworkers were 20 minutes behind schedule.

(Did... did they make it in time?)

Ukita detonated the rest of the bombs while thinking that he'd check Watase and his coworkers afterwards to see if they were okay. Some of the bombs failed to detonate, but he had expected a few duds. And right as Ukita administered the AD he had prepared beforehand, Watase and his coworkers returned.

N-no... we're okay for now, but...
Really...?

Watase replied to Ukita's concerned question with distaste.

I said we're okay, didn't I? More importantly-- We're in big trouble! There was only one test subject in Area Zero!
What!?

Watase then proceeded to explain the situation. Subject Y-II was nowhere to be found. Ukita then realized the two high-ranked researchers were missing. He asked about their fates-- and was met with an unbelievable answer.

(The rescue workers killed them in Area Zero!?)

Ukita started flaring up at Watase before he even knew what he was doing.

Captain Kasasagi, this isn't what you promised! You told me there'd be no casualties, remember!?
H-hold on! Calm down, Mr. Ukita!
You said you wouldn't hurt anyone, right!? Was that a lie!? If you're saying it was, then the three of you must--

Ukita instinctively tried to grab Watase, but at that moment--

!

He was struck in the back of the head.

Wh... y...?

He could still make out Watase's voice as his consciousness faded.

It's too late... for us to turn back.

Watase had said ''us''. But it didn't seem like he was including Ukita when he said that.

(Have I... been betrayed...?)

Ukita lost consciousness as if he were drowning in a sea of his own dismay.

------

...He had no idea how long he'd been out for.

U... ugh...

Th-that's right... Captain Kasasagi knocked me out...

(Where did they go...!?)

Ukita proceeded to check the surveillance monitors to get a grasp of the current situation. But most of the cameras had been damaged as a result of the explosions, so they weren't very helpful.

(Dammit, where the hell did they all go!? Did they leave me behind!? It can't be... Were they planning on making me their scapegoat from the very start!?)

Ukita's heart still harbored the desire to trust in Watase. But the fact that Watase's team had killed two men and knocked him unconscious created a powerful sense of ambivalence in him.

...F-forget that... First I just need to do whatever I can for now...!

He had to erase all evidence that he had participated in this attack in the chance he was caught. It was with that thought that he began deleting the security footage-- --But a short while later, he discovered some most stunning footage.

Ukita frantically paused the video.

This is... impossible...! Why were they...?

Natsuhiko and his friends were right there in the security footage! The image was a bit fuzzy as a result of the explosions, but there was no doubt as to who those three were. Ukita felt his pulse skyrocket in shock.

(I-it can't be... Did they go directly to LABO after last night!? Meaning they got caught up in our terrorist attack--!)

Ukita had set off the bombs a few hours ago in places where people weren't around. But he'd been so busy that he hadn't even checked the monitors thoroughly enough to see who was on them. It was for that reason he hadn't noticed Natsuhiko and his friends.

(This is bad... this is bad, this is bad! If they weren't able to get out of here, then it's all my fault! No question about it!)

--But just as Ukita thought that... He heard voices from outside.

Wha-!? That voice-- is that you, Captain Kasasagi!?
What!? Y-you know who I am!?
H-how could I -not- know you...

But it wasn't just him-- accompanying him were two rescue workers and two other women Ukita had never seen before.

I'm Ena Tsubakiyama. I'm a high school teacher who was called to this facility.
I'm Yuuri... I'm family to one of LABO's researchers.

Ukita looked at their presence with suspicious eyes.

(... Something is not right here. No matter the circumstances, only staff members are supposed to be allowed in LABO. Everyone else is forbidden. No, but more importantly, that ''Yuuri'' girl... Could she be Subject Y-II!?)

But the one Ukita was most confused about was Watase. He had apparently gotten some form of memory impairment and couldn't even remember Ukita.

(What in the world is going on!? Is it a lie he cooked up on the spot when he came across his other subordinates that weren't supposed to be down here!? But even if that is the case, then what happened to Dojima and Hiyama!? What about Subject N!? Where did they all go!?)

Ukita was confused by the series of unexpected events--

--Ukita regained his composure.

(That's right, I must calm down and remember why everything I did today was necessary.)

He didn't know what was going on. Perhaps Watase and his coworkers had betrayed him. But all of Ukita's actions on that day were for the sake of saving the test subjects and Natsuhiko.

(So as long as I don't allow my conviction to be shaken-- I should be able to get them out of LABO.)

A fire began blazing in Ukita's heart, much like the one from that rainy day so long ago. And with that, Ukita and the others began to move.

(! This scent...! This is it! Mr. Ukita's memories were distorted after this point!)

Natsuhiko's consciousness tensed up at that moment. Yuuri's voice echoed in his head.

(Yeah!)
{Then try to remember what happened after this point. Remember how Mr. Ukita felt... His memories should be repaired to their proper form depending on your feelings. Once you've done that, you can return him back to normal.}

Natsuhiko fortified his determination and began memory access once again. His search criterion-- ''Floral-scented memories''.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I may be being over paranoid, but I can't help but notice Ukita didn't seem to see N.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OddHaberdasher posted:

I may be being over paranoid, but I can't help but notice Ukita didn't seem to see N.

That makes sense though, only the Senior Members would have actually seen the test subjects, which is why he only guesses that Yuuri is Y-II. He never actually saw N in person until they found her on the elevator

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
To the RAM!

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Danaru posted:

That makes sense though, only the Senior Members would have actually seen the test subjects, which is why he only guesses that Yuuri is Y-II. He never actually saw N in person until they found her on the elevator

But didn't Watase's version have N in the room with them?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OddHaberdasher posted:

But didn't Watase's version have N in the room with them?

Well yeah but Ukita only had an access card. Watase had the universal access card, also known as a Gun :v: Ukita never actually saw Subject N until the elevator scene, which was also the moment he was infected with NBC/Rage Virus

Also before anyone asks, he knew she was one of the test subjects he wanted to rescue because she was wearing test subject clothes :colbert: which is also why he had to guess Yuuri was Y-II because she's dressed like a loving idiot

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really everything's seemed a little too neat and clean so far. There aren't any anti-Communicator organizations, they all just want Communicators to move to a big farm in the country where they can run around all day and sense rabbit feelings?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Glazius posted:

Really everything's seemed a little too neat and clean so far. There aren't any anti-Communicator organizations, they all just want Communicators to move to a big farm in the country where they can run around all day and sense rabbit feelings?

Well, Ukita's Q boss Sonezaki is almost certainly a communicator himself, or working with one, so take that as you will.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

OddHaberdasher posted:

Well, Ukita's Q boss Sonezaki is almost certainly a communicator himself, or working with one, so take that as you will.

Yeah, that was pretty blatant.

"I think I'm being followed..." *phone call* "You're being followed!"

Either that is incredible timing or someone's a communicator and doesn't want him to know.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

Ukita didn't necessarily see Subject N, but she did make a technical appearance in his memories by virtue of Watase saying "there was only one subject in Area Zero". Also, Ukita never really saw Subject N in the events as we saw them from Watase's point of view. Ukita's train of thought just went:

1) "You're late!"
2) "Oh no, where could Y-II be?"
3) "Wait, where are the researchers?"
4) "Oh god my head has been hit with a gun"

Glazius posted:

Well, they're not anti-Communicator organizations, they still hate Communicators. They just hate Rokumei City a bit more.

Junpei posted:

To the RAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZxn0aT_UQ

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Debug: A: 09/16/2030, 10:11

Well, here we go again. Time to jump into Ukita's mind and fix some poo poo.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Dojima was lying dead in the room. To make matters worse, the jackhammer he and the others had prepared for their escape was broken.

(What in the world happened here in LABO while I was unconscious!?)

The rescue workers then entered the room-- And the moment Watase came out, Ukita instinctively grabbed him.

Hey, Captain Kasasagi! What in the world happened here!?
Wha-!?
Three people are dead, and even the jackhammer's broken...! You know something, don't you!? Answer me! Just talk already!

In my first playthrough, I worked out pretty quickly that the solution for this RAM stuff seems to be ''set everybody to high''. If it isn't, the game will tell you, and then you set to low instead. The game does break with this at a few points, but as a rule, it's pretty easy to set everybody high right off the bat unless it's clear that there's a choice between two people to be made. Anyway, ''everybody to high'' is the right answer here.

Perhaps Watase, Dojima, and Hiyama had prepared a different escape route, or perhaps they had been planning to escape when the lockdown lifted at 6:16 PM?

(In the first place, is it really just a coincidence that the jackhammer broke!? Or did someone break it intentionally!?)

Huh?
The hell if I know. Anyway, why're you freaking out so much, old man? We're feeling down here because we lost one of our squadmates. And yet your response is to choke me? What the hell's your problem?

--Natsuhiko repaired that false memory.

(--Then who else would know!?)

But Subject Y-II stopped Ukita before he could shout that.

D-don't panic...! People d-died there, right...? If something like that happens again...!
Ah... s-sorry... To think I of all people... would lose my composure like that.

Ukita then started persuading himself.

(That's right, calm down... calm down and assess the situation...!)

Their search of LABO then continued, the events of what had transpired in that room remaining a total mystery.

And that's one down.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Debug: B: 09/16/2030, 11:17

--and arrived at the engine room.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

If Watase was faking his amnesia to fool the rest of the group, then it was about high time for him to reveal the truth. Ukita chose his next words carefully, making sure to only say things that the original Watase had known about the place.

...If memory serves me right, that large tank over there is full of water, nitrogen gas, and other fire extinguishing agents.

Once again, the solution is to just set everybody high.

There was no pretension whatsoever in Watase's reply.

(Impossible... could his amnesia actually be for real?)

He asked Watase to be safe.

Are you sure you don't remember anything? Such as why you went down to the basement, or the names of the people you were trying to save?

Really...?
What's with that question, old man?
Huh?
It feels like you're testing me or something... Is there something you want to say?

Ukita couldn't find anything suspicious in the way he'd said that.

(If I'm to believe Captain Kasasagi's words, then that means Ms. Tachibana and Moribe must not doubt his amnesia at all either... If anyone were to notice something suspicious about the way Captain Kasasagi was acting, it'd be Ms. Tachibana and Moribe. So does that mean that Captain Kasasagi really does have...!?)

It was at that point that Ukita finally decided to believe Watase had amnesia.

(But how did he get amnesia!? Could someone have hit him on the head!? If that's how it went, then the only one who could have possibly done that was--)

One name immediately came to mind.

Ukita's heart shuddered when he reached that conclusion. If Hiyama had in fact received different orders from Q, then--! Ukita couldn't help but pray that Subject N, who'd been taken away by Hiyama, was still safe. At any rate, Ukita turned the sprinkler system back online, then resumed the search with the rest of the group. Then when they arrived at B2 of Area 4's outer ring--

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Wha... i-is that true...!?

That sudden announcement left Ukita confused.

(No... maybe it still was Hiyama. Perhaps he killed the three of them but got injured in the process, then got caught in the fire afterwards...?)

The more he thought about it, the less it made sense. Regardless, there was no way Ukita was giving up on his search for Subject N and Natsuhiko and his friends.

And another one down. Man, memory fixing is easy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Debug: C: 09/16/2030, 11:47

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

!?

They found her starting up one of the computers in the room. Words Ukita had once heard long ago flashed back through his mind at that moment.

This is one of those that breaks the format. In this case, we actually have to set Ukita's Sense of Ena lower.

Stop it, Ms. Tsubakiyama! What do you think you're doing!?
Well, um... there were all these machines I'd never seen before, so I just got curious...
Just get away from that computer right now. I'm telling you this for your own safety.

You will be in danger if you do otherwise.

When he said that-- a bewitching smile suddenly rose to Ena's face.

Oh, so that's why...? You really are worried about me, aren't you?

Just then, Watase and the rest of the group came running in.

H-hey, what happened -this- time?
(N-not good! It's too late for Subject Y-II and Captain Kasasagi, but if the other three come into contact with LABO's top secret information, they'll--!)

Ukita frantically warned the others about the top secret information.

...The things contained from Area 5 onwards are about as top-secret as you can possibly get. Even if we can make it out of here in one piece, I strongly suggest that you do -not- tell anyone on the outside about what you saw here. The consequences for doing so could prove unexpectedly dire...

Those words came straight from the bottom of Ukita's heart...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Commit

(Has this been enough to fix Mr. Ukita's memories...?)

{You're right... Besides, it doesn't feel like this is the end of it either.}

Back when he'd erased Watase's malice, Subject N's ''spirit'' had still been in Watase's brain even after he'd repaired all his memories. Then it was highly probable that it was still in Ukita's brain as well.

(I have to erase her to bring Mr. Ukita back to normal...!)

Natsuhiko steeled his resolve, then slipped away from that memory.

...uh, well, that was quick.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

It really would be nice to show the altered memories, so that we can see where their thoughts went to create the RAGE VIRUS.

The answer to memory #3 amuses me, in that you have to set Ena's sense right in the middle. If you set it too low, it goes the wrong way. Too high, and it results in what you somewhat see there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

It really would be nice to show the altered memories, so that we can see where their thoughts went to create the RAGE VIRUS.

I'll go over them during the completion part of the route - primarily because I'd now be breaking the order by going back and doing the altered memories for Watase. Also because I'd probably have to do the bad ends associated with loving up the RAM segments in between those altered memories. It'll be more orderly doing a second pass later. Not that I'd like to jump at the opportunity to already show you what happens when Subject N owns Natsuhiko's brain so hard even Yuuri can't un-own it.

• Locked thread