Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I thought that was a really well done and very good episode of Doctor Who and has me looking forward to the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So after thinking about it for a few hours, my #1 wish for the season is that we get to hear more about Susan, and my #2 wish is that The multi-Master episode has some kind of homage to Delgado

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Solid, but I felt the pace was a bit off- very slow beginning then a bunch of running around without much explaining of things. Still it works as a restart.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

just_a_guy posted:

Someone went over lost Douglas Adams scripts for this one (that's a good thing)

The concept was basically adapted directly from Roadside Picnic (well at least the whole idea of aliens landing and leaving behind bizarre tech) which is also a really good thing

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So far Class is not that great.

Also I feel like maybe we've had too many monsters lately that are just smoke/water/shadows/etc. I get that it can be much creepier than someone in fake looking latex but they've maybe gone to this well too many times.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 16, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bill seems a lot smarter first up, seriously smarter than many previous companions. New companions are getting harder to write, so well done so far.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, I am in love with EVERYTHING about this episode, throw in some Escherian mad geometry and/or the Cybermen and it would be entirely designed for me. That is the type of strong start that I can't even fathom being disappointed by the followups for.

I love that they basically built the entire episode around making it VERY clear that Bill is gay, while somehow not feeling like they're beating you over the head with it.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Wow, that was impressive, and I've got my hopes up for the rest of the season. I'm a big Capaldi fan and the dude was basically born to play the Doctor so I've been pretty bummed by the last two seasons, I feel like weak convoluted writing has totally let him down and it's a shame, but this was the first episode that felt like what I'd hoped for from the show with Capaldi as the Doctor. Bill seems like she's gonna be a good companion and the entire tone of Capaldi's character was perfect, I hope it stays consistent. We don't need to do any more of the "what sort of man am I?" drama, I just want to see this episode's Doctor have adventures for a season.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Hell, even Nardole was fine, and that seemed like a bad idea to me initially.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also just want to note again holy poo poo they had Movellans in this episode! MOVELLANS!

These loving guys!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, Nardole was great. And was that the 3rd Doctor's sonic he had in the Dalek base (with the Movellans :swoon: )

They should have hid the spoiler about the Mondasian Cybermen better, and hyped up that a "previously unseen Classic Series Monster would be returning" so that everyone would melt down thinking it was just a 20 second Movellan cameo with the Rick James wigs in the first ep.

Also I'm not sure about Class. It's less childish than SJA, but it lacks Sarah Jane, and it seems very CW/high schoolish. The Doctor's plan seems a bit rubbish--Coal Hill School (which has apparently been totally rebuilt) is a magnet for monsters and invasions due to artron energy, so he puts a bunch of kids in charge of fighting alien invasions there. What happens when they graduate in 2-3 years? Also the alien teacher lady looks disconcertingly like Liz Shaw and it keeps throwing me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Class is bad, guys.

I'm not saying don't watch, watch what you want.

Just maybe don't get your hopes up.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Very good. It's everything needed for a starting point, which we really haven't had since 2010.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

By the way,

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dodo is in the vault!? :monocle:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I wish Peter had more than one season. It was most excellent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That was thoroughly enjoyable and I want to see more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That was John Simms Master in the trailer :suspense:. Why was that there? How was that there?

Oh god, this is going to have so much backstabbing. I'm hoping Missy is going to backstab him for revenge for whatever he does, and of course he's going to start plotting for the future so when he's her he can have his own revenge.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't wait for the big idiot behind Forest to gently caress it all up next week.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Nardole is perfectly fine but I'm not sure having him around actually helps anything. You could remove him from the rest of the season and not really anything would change.

It seems like if they were going to do a Susan episode this season they'd at least mention her name and role instead of just having a picture on the desk. I guess there's future episodes, but there was some camera time devoted to that portrait with nothing to indicate who she is besides "former companion."

It feels exceptionally weird having a newly-done (and well-done) introduction to a show which is basically going to be blown up in twelve episodes, but hey, it was a good episode, so.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm thinking that this episode has also given a way to write Bill out of the show when the time comes, which is actually fairly impressive all told. Also I have a theory on what is going on with the monster of this episode, but I'm not sure if I should share.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was an ok episode. Nothing particularly good, but nothing awful either. So that puts it in the top tier of Doctor Who episodes from the last few years.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rochallor posted:

Nardole is perfectly fine but I'm not sure having him around actually helps anything. You could remove him from the rest of the season and not really anything would change.

So you've seen the entire season then, and know what part he plays in it?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

Bill's great company
Tale was spooky and well told
Puddle love buv all

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm thinking that this episode has also given a way to write Bill out of the show when the time comes, which is actually fairly impressive all told. Also I have a theory on what is going on with the monster of this episode, but I'm not sure if I should share.

Go ahead.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I watched with a friend who isn't into DW and when it got spooky she's like "o i forgot doctor who is also scary." Which I was also lured into forgetting because Bill was so charming.
Do share your theory on Bills write out btw.

What revival monsters do you all think will be most likely brought back in the future as 'classics'? Face of Bo for sure. His big rubbery mug.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bill asks if she (the ship/puddle) is still out there, and the Doctor replies vaguely that he doesn't think so.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

I watched with a friend who isn't into DW and when it got spooky she's like "o i forgot doctor who is also scary." Which I was also lured into forgetting because Bill was so charming.
Do share your theory on Bills write out btw.

What revival monsters do you all think will be most likely brought back in the future as 'classics'? Face of Bo for sure. His big rubbery mug.

I don't think the showrunners will ignore the Meddling Monk forever. Assuming they don't go with the whole, it was the Master fan explanation, that fella has some reason to be angry at the Doctor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

remusclaw posted:

I don't think the showrunners will ignore the Meddling Monk forever. Assuming they don't go with the whole, it was the Master fan explanation, that fella has some reason to be angry at the Doctor.

He's asking the other way around - what new series characters/monsters will be one day revised as "Classic"

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I haven't enjoyed a Doctor Who episode this much since the anniversary! Feels great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore posted:

He's asking the other way around - what new series characters/monsters will be one day revised as "Classic"

Remember how in 2005 people were convinced that the Slitheen were going to be revival's lasting contribution to the rogues' gallery?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Oh. Never mind.

In that case, I think the Weeping Angels will overcome their somewhat lackluster follow up appearances to be considered true classics, I mean, its not like most of the the Dalek and the Cybermen stories were made of gold.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the Ood are a unique enough design that they could/should be revisited and reused.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Aside from the Ood and Angels, aren't the only other villains who appear more than once worth mentioning in the revival basically the Silence, and they had less decent follow up than the Angels did. The Monster/bad guy is so forgettable a lot of the time in revival Who. And that wasn't even intended as a play upon my mention of the silence.

That aside, did the Ood ever really have any decent eps? The Satan Pit I guess?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Judoon have some promise. The audio story with them was really well done.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Aside from the Ood and Angels, aren't the only other villains who appear more than once worth mentioning in the revival basically the Silence, and they had less decent follow up than the Angels did. The Monster/bad guy is so forgettable a lot of the time in revival Who. And that wasn't even intended as a play upon my mention of the silence.

That aside, did the Ood ever really have any decent eps? The Satan Pit I guess?

The one with Donna where they free the Ood from slavery was pretty good.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So here's my weird theory about the Puddle Ship and Bill leaving. The Puddle Ship is a part/component of Time Lord technology, perhaps a later model TARDIS or some such, hence being able to follow them everywhere they go, and the way they're going to write Bill out is that she'll end up going with the Ship anyway, because I feel that there's still a bit of mystery behind it and it's a fairly okay way to write out a companion for a single season.

Basically she'll spend this season going around with the Doctor and enjoying herself, but also searching for something the entire time, and eventually she'll decide to see the universe as part of the ship instead of with the Doctor. So Bill will literally fall in love with travelling the universe and choose to do so endlessly, and the Doctor will be too busy to stop her this time.

On the Ship being Time Lord technology there's the moment where you can see a white star during the montage, and as mentioned it being very good at following a TARDIS, if a little slow.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

I haven't enjoyed a Doctor Who episode this much since the anniversary! Feels great.

The one where the Doctor is trapped in the time hole was good. But apart from that, yeah best ep since the 50th is faint praise.

Although I'm very very pleased that "the girl with the star in her eye" spoiler turned out not to be Bill. I was dreading another awful Moffat companion with the super special secret power.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

No one's asking what/who's in the vault the Doctor and Nardole are protecting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Davros1 posted:

No one's asking what/who's in the vault the Doctor and Nardole are protecting?

It's a honey trap is my guess. The Doctor co opting the whole pandorica deal for himself. Moffat Who seems to delight especially in building stuff up only to reveal at the last moment that it wasn't really all that important.

• Locked thread