Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think we've all agreed the vault doesn't matter and that whole mystery poo poo can go to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's a prison containing Missy, I have foreseen it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Bill asks if she (the ship/puddle) is still out there, and the Doctor replies vaguely that he doesn't think so.

Yeah, that was a very handwavey thing, on par with the Doctor telling Rose that Captain Jack was probably fine, somewhere out there, let's just move on! :haw: Which of course means nothing of the sort.

remusclaw posted:

I don't think the showrunners will ignore the Meddling Monk forever. Assuming they don't go with the whole, it was the Master fan explanation, that fella has some reason to be angry at the Doctor.

I feel the Monk has been addressed enough in the audios that he can be let alone by the show. Quite frankly it's the same for Susan--any attempt to bring them back might conflict with the audios to the point of de-canonizing certain aspects of Big Finish again. Chibnall may not necessarily be as much of a BF nerd as Steven Moffat or RTD and give them the same respect. Quite frankly if I was Nick Briggs I'd be a bit worried about my access to the show going forward. I know the overall licensing is handled by the BBC, but let's not pretend that the showrunner doesn't have a huge influence, if in nothing but writing the tv show which will always take precedence. It may be of note that unlike Moffat and RTD, Chibnall has never written for the novels, short stories, or Big Finish--or as far as we know read/listened to them (unlike Moffat and RTD who clearly consumed them in the Wilderness Years). We can't question his Doctor Who bonafides in general, as he's the iconic old school fan from the DWAS era, but I haven't heard anything about his opinions on spin off media.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 16, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ganger post

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Davros1 posted:

No one's asking what/who's in the vault the Doctor and Nardole are protecting?

I think we're all agreed that we'll come to that mystery later. I do look forward to it!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

jivjov posted:

The Judoon have some promise. The audio story with them was really well done.

They're just Not-Sontarans, I read the plot synopsis for the Big Finish set and I couldn't even remember who they were until I saw the cover art.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm interested in who the Doctor was speaking to after Bill left.

That, and whether the Doctor who picked Bill up in the TARDIS is from significantly later than the rest of the episode.

I'm spoiler coding the next bit, as I reckon it ties into a spoiler I read somewhere, but I think anything I suggest was already made implicit by one of this season's trailers.

Is the Doctor who picks Bill up at the end a dying one, doing one last lap around the universe just like David Tennant's Doctor did? And, from there, will he then die mid way through the season, thus dropping Bill back into the life of a cantankerous earlier version of the Doctor, one still ensconced at the university (and still working with Nardole)?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My take is that the vault is empty, but the Doctor is bigging it up to make it as tempting to break into as possible.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

My vault guess is it either contains the doctor or bill's mum

the more i think on it the more bills mom explains

Pocky In My Pocket fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 16, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

My take is that the vault is empty, but the Doctor is bigging it up to make it as tempting to break into as possible.

I assume to goad the Master/Missy in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was shockingly good and Bill is a wonderfully realized character thus far. Her fashion is a bit odd but I guess I'm out of touch with what the kids wear in England these days. Nardole was mostly useless but not obnoxiously bad or anything.

Oh and the scene where she asks him what he'd do if someone wiped his memories, Capaldi nailed the pain in that scene so well.

I loved this and I fully expected to hate it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

No one's asking what/who's in the vault the Doctor and Nardole are protecting?

I already know what's going to be in the vault: disappointment.

I enjoyed this episode. Not the most brilliant episode of Doctor Who ever but it was pleasant. And I liked Bill which I think was the most important thing for the episode to do.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

I already know what's going to be in the vault: disappointment.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the whole TARDIS intro scene was actually very well done, first with the misdirect where you think it IS just a police box for some reason, and then the pull out, and then Bill's misunderstanding, and I actually liked the payoff of the 'bigger on the inside' bit with Nardole being pleased they got to that point. (Matt Lucas is playing the humour much more understated now he's a regular and it works very well)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

remusclaw posted:

Aside from the Ood and Angels, aren't the only other villains who appear more than once worth mentioning in the revival basically the Silence, and they had less decent follow up than the Angels did. The Monster/bad guy is so forgettable a lot of the time in revival Who. And that wasn't even intended as a play upon my mention of the silence.

That aside, did the Ood ever really have any decent eps? The Satan Pit I guess?

Nobody ever remembers the Silence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommonShore posted:

Nobody ever remembers the Silence.

LoL

I love the Doctor as a college professor, that was such a good little bit and I hope they go back to it some more this season.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhyno posted:

LoL

I love the Doctor as a college professor, that was such a good little bit and I hope they go back to it some more this season.

Shada :henget:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also so happy that the first we see of Twelve this year is him in his hoodie, shades and with his guitar.

I've turned a corner on Clara's Theme as well, I really like how distinctive it is, because it lets them bring her in without having the dialogue be too heavy-handed. The bit with Bill turning the mind-wipe around on the Doctor and then the few notes from that piece playing on the score and Capaldi's face do all the work.

If this is them doing Shada, that's absurd and also, what the 5th version of it now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Man I haven't watched the Shada "special" in forever. I should do that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I thought the episode was okay to good. The plot was a little light, and a little too reminiscent of The Lodger for me to really fully engage with it, but I liked Bill well enough.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tiny thing that stood out and plays possibly into the idea that the Doctor that takes Bill with him is from much later in his personal timeline, is that she notes his last lecture was about poetry instead of physics, and he tries to tell Bill, Susan, River and the TARDIS that he can't leave because he 'has promises to keep', which is very specific wording, considering anyone with a passing interest in poetry would likely think of the Robert Frost poem. That certainly could be hinting at the Tenth Doctor-style last hurrah idea.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If you laughed or chuckled at or smiled or even just enjoyed anything about Nardole, then he's not a useless character. In fact, he seems pretty essential and welcome.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

If you laughed or chuckled at or smiled or even just enjoyed anything about Nardole, then he's not a useless character. In fact, he seems pretty essential and welcome.

While he never made me laugh, fellow goon Seer laughed at him maybe twice. I remember one time, he recalls twice.

He is kind of fluff, but not awful

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AndyElusive posted:

I wouldn't call him essential but yeah, he wasn't the worst thing ever. I mean, it's not like he's Martha Jones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I wouldn't call him essential but yeah, he wasn't the worst thing ever. I mean, it's not like he's Martha Jones.

Well, you know what those Rutans are like...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nardole is the TARDIS's office manager.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I really enjoyed that premiere and I really didn't expect to. Even more so for Bill; the trailers were not kind to her.

Definitely not here for Nardole though...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What was that actually about? Does anyone know? There was some running around and some people being very enigmatic and it was all nicely photographed and performed well enough...but if you had to describe that episode to another fan who didn't see it, what would you say about it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Trin Tragula posted:

What was that actually about? Does anyone know? There was some running around and some people being very enigmatic and it was all nicely photographed and performed well enough...but if you had to describe that episode to another fan who didn't see it, what would you say about it?

I'd call it a basic introduction to the format of the show. They titled it "the pilot" for a reason.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

It's a character piece explaining who Bill is and why she's here.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rochallor posted:

Nardole is perfectly fine but I'm not sure having him around actually helps anything. You could remove him from the rest of the season and not really anything would change.

It seems like if they were going to do a Susan episode this season they'd at least mention her name and role instead of just having a picture on the desk. I guess there's future episodes, but there was some camera time devoted to that portrait with nothing to indicate who she is besides "former companion."

It feels exceptionally weird having a newly-done (and well-done) introduction to a show which is basically going to be blown up in twelve episodes, but hey, it was a good episode, so.

Nardole is thick. He's from the future and familiar with the technology, but he's not smart. That give the Doctor someone to be smart at, without Bill having to be dumb.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Trin Tragula posted:

Lesbian water wanderlust.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I keep calling her "Billie" and have to stop and correct myself.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Rhyno posted:

I'm just pretending her name is Belle.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Let's just call her Hartnell

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
I really liked the new episode :)

It makes me sad that it'll be Capaldi's last season, since it's only at the end of last season that he seems to get into the groove of being the Doctor (pun intended).

I like Bill, I honestly didn't catch on that she was gay (no subtitles, so the chips conversation was slightly hard to follow), but hey, you do you, I don't really care.

It's nice to have a companion that's not all knowing. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with Clara, but between her and River, the Doctor seemed to be taking a backseat, and I hope Bill doesn't turn into a huge plot point in regard to Impossible Girl/Half Doctor/Half TARDIS, or what have you.

Just some good old monster of the week, with some Master, and whatever's in the safe mixed in.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jivjov posted:

Let's just call her Hartnell

Bill regenerates into the First Doctor confirmed.

But seriously, that was super good and I hope the rest of the season maintains this quality. I wouldn't call it understated, but it was refreshingly straightforward and character focused, which I kinda felt we needed more of.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dodo is in the vault, and there she shall remain :colbert:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I'm assuming Nardole was introduced in the Christmas episode. I didn't watch that one since they're almost always garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wheezle posted:

I'm assuming Nardole was introduced in the Christmas episode. I didn't watch that one since they're almost always garbage.

He was introduced in the Christmas Special before last years Christmas Special but he was also in that one too.

• Locked thread