Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So Starcrash was made just so that they could have some hottie in something approaching a Space Bikini, right?

late edit: it's obviously low-budget, but I am loving Christopher Plummer's emperor armor in this flick. If it were a bit more like it was sturdy metal armor, it'd be a great combo of practical-looking and ostentatious enough for someone of high position.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I looked up the lead actress, Caroline Munroe. Apparently she's the British '70s version of Linnea Quigley or something, because all she did for most of her career was show up in movies wearing next to nothing.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wanderer posted:

I looked up the lead actress, Caroline Munroe. Apparently she's the British '70s version of Linnea Quigley or something, because all she did for most of her career was show up in movies wearing next to nothing.

Check out one of the other movies she did with Count Zarth Arn, Maniac. Great character study of a serial killer. Siskel hated it, but it's definitely an underrated film. Plus, it shows off her acting talents, which are solid.

I'm also 90% sure that his voice was dubbed by someone else in Starcrash.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Check out one of the other movies she did with Count Zarth Arn, Maniac. Great character study of a serial killer. Siskel hated it, but it's definitely an underrated film. Plus, it shows off her acting talents, which are solid.

I'm also 90% sure that his voice was dubbed by someone else in Starcrash.

If you grew up in the 80s in the U.S. your first exposure to her was likely Adam Ant's video for "Goody Two-shoes."

Carnival Magic was deadly dull and I might have enjoyed it if it wasn't played so relatively straight, but yikes.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I also like how they only made one Rock Hudson is actually gay joke, and it worked because the scene in the movie is so silly, and it was clearly put in there to say "Rock Hudson is not gay".

I think there's an undercurrent of they wanted to make, "Rock Hudson was gay," jokes, but that would be lazy and offensive. So they have one kind of gay joke where one of the film characters says that Rock Hudson's character is up "Up to his rear end in celebrities," and Jonah just says, "Nope! Not touching that."

Other than that, there's a certain amount of 'whatever you do, don't mention the war,' thing going on.

Which actually kind of works, with the bots trying to emulate Rock Hudson in order to pick up women, and Jonah points out that's a bad idea, because Rock Hudson's character just uses women.

Even the musical number with Felicia Day and NPH is pretty much, I'm not saying NPH's character is gay. But yeah, he's probably gay.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 16, 2017

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Wizards of the Lost Kingdoms 2 really hurt to watch. I don't think there was a single likeable character in the entire movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Avalanche: That's the worst dancing I've ever seen in a movie.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

OH MY GOD I AM LEGITIMATELY ANGRY AT THIS CHRISTMAS MOVIE!!!

Jesus loving Christ Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny wasn't this goddamn annoying. Although "We kill the Batman!" was a good joke. But FUUUUUUUUCK THIS MOVIE AND SANTA'S CREEPY CROTCH ACCOUNTANT!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got angry at that one. I'm mostly angry at the premise for the film. Why did Santa sell the North Pole? Why can't he use the money from the sale to pay the rent? Why is the rent low enough that he can earn it by working for two weeks at a department store but too high for even the world's worst lawyer to pay off? Why is the lawyer character so useless when the antagonist does so many blatantly illegal things thought the film? How the gently caress does the antagonist travel from the town to the North Pole and back every evening? How the gently caress is the antagonist planning to evict Santa, does the North Pole have law enforcement? I guess it boils down to this: if one of your main protagonists is a lawyer and the issue at hand is fundamentally a legal issue you had better have the lawyer make legal arguments because otherwise what is even the point of that character being a lawyer?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mia Farrow's a triple threat in Avalanche. She loving awful at acting, dancing and ice skating.

Edit: I guess she's not the blonde ice skater. Who is that and why is the movie so focused on it then?

I can see why it took them so long to get to the avalanche, because some of these effects are real rough.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 16, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Because disaster movies always have a bunch of characters with varying backstories so they can get trapped together and grow as they overcome the tragedy. Except, y'know, they forgot to do that second part.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Land That Time Forgot host sketch's "I still think I'm German!" came out of nowhere and had me dying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Glinda the good witch is multiplying at an alarming rate!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, I also need The Great Space Circus Show on my playlist now.

Yeah, me too. His name slipped out of my head the moment he left the screen and the MST3K wiki hasn't caught up to that episode in relentless cataloging lyrics! :argh:

I'm watching the Christmas movie now. It feels like some sort of Italian It's a Wonderful Life that puts Santa in George's place. It's extremely depressing watching a scenario that puts Santa in Victorian poverty.

But lmao at Fooled ya, it's a subpoena, you've been served!

looooooool at whistling kid at the end Omar comin'!

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 16, 2017

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I almost quit this after Reptilicus, which I thought was terrible. Just constant non-stop riffing that felt like they were getting paid by the word and nothing had room to breathe. I think I laughed once, and that was just at the dude driving the freezer. Cry Wilderness and Time Travelers felt a lot better paced, and Avalanche is where I'm really actually enjoying the episodes. The whole sequence when the avalanche starts is just top notch riffing.

"Ski in a zig zag, avalanches can only see straaaaaaaight..."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We're guilty because we're Germaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I somehow had gotten talked into thinking that the puppetry was bad in the new show because of the multiple people required to do it, but I went back and watched Tom's Canada song because the credits have it stuck in my head and uh... it's actually way, way better in the new show. They're way more expressive when they can move their arms and they're operated by actual puppeteers. I stand majorly corrected.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I love Mike's slowly increasing discomfort when Tom lets loose.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Bicyclops posted:

I somehow had gotten talked into thinking that the puppetry was bad in the new show because of the multiple people required to do it, but I went back and watched Tom's Canada song because the credits have it stuck in my head and uh... it's actually way, way better in the new show. They're way more expressive when they can move their arms and they're operated by actual puppeteers. I stand majorly corrected.

It's mostly with the mouth movements of Crow and Gypsy, which are remote controlled by the voice actors. Also I don't think Crow's eyes move quite as much as before, but then I think Trace was a master of that eye movement that not even Bill could ever quite replicate.

The bots' actual body movement on the other hand, is a dramatic improvement and presents some new creative opportunities.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Didn't really care for the Xmas movie but At the Earth's Core is pretty entertaining.

Also, uh the end of that last episode :ohdear:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've watched a couple now and it's certainly not as bad as I feared, at least. Put me down in the "Jonah sounds more like a Servo than Servo does / can't tell them apart half the time" camp but maybe that's just me being bad at voices. Also I think the weakest part of the show thus far is the robot roll call, just...not very good?

Otherwise, it's pretty great? The jokes are mostly good. I don't think the jokes are too fast so much as they pile on like three jokes and the first one was usually the funniest one so the other two sound lame in comparison. They could certainly drop a few jokes, but I'm sure when you're doing it it's either the funniest thing ever still or ALL the jokes are nothing to you now because you've done 50 takes so I'm sure it's a hard thing to dial in.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
The Loves of Hercules has the best use of bot silhouette free movement I've seen so far: Servo getting swatted away

e: Also the ending where everyone is singing operatic notes for about 2 straight minutes WORKS

TVGM fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 16, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I dunno, Servo 'lifting' the rocket and Crow making elevator small-talk were pretty good

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The only flying bit that's made me laugh so far was the drones covering the nipples and butt in Avalanche, but I've never been a big fan of the silhouette interactions.

Also, this has probably been linked before but in this article about the making-of of the new series they talk about pre-recording all the riffs and editing them together:

quote:

The way it was explained to me, following the initial writing sessions for each movie, Ray, Vaughn, and Yount had a blistering week-long period in a sound studio in which they recorded just the audio of the riffs.

No wonder they sound so panicky.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Gaz-L posted:

I dunno, Servo 'lifting' the rocket and Crow making elevator small-talk were pretty good

Yeah those were also great, but the swat was so unexpected (to me).

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I really liked Servo acting like a naked woman through the binoculars in Avalanche.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I love any MST3K ep that has movies full of silly accents. Agent from H.A.RM., Devil Doll, Jack Frost, and now The Land that Time Forgot.

Wunderbar!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, 1100+ new messages. No way can I keep up with that.

I'm sipping this like a fine whole bottle of cheap bourbon. You know, one awful glug at a time.

I just got done watching the Reptilicus, and holy wow, if I didn't know better, I'd suggest that this was a fake bad movie made just for this episode of MST3K. Has anyone giffed Peterson's ridiculous reaction to putting his hand in the eel tank?

I loved how this is clearly a Danish film--everything is in whatever language they speak over there--but the actors are speaking English, which is then dubbed into English. It's like Hercules in New York, except everyone is Hercules, except no one is Schwarzenegger, and also there's no New York. I liked the shots of the monster eating the film cut-out of the family patriarch particularly.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 16, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Cry Wilderness is the perfect MST3K movie. I think that was a top-10 episode of the show, easily.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Pakled posted:

Cry Wilderness is the perfect MST3K movie. I think that was a top-10 episode of the show, easily.

The last five minutes are pure cinematic bugfuck.

Let's end our family friendly movie with a bird RIPPING A MAN'S EYES OUT. And then they all pretend it didn't even happen and go right back to wacky hijinx.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So they're married in real life and this is how they kiss?

The fact that every horse talks like Don Knots makes me think of the Seabiscut, the worlds most popular horse! bits from the Flop House. Like it also could be Mr ed, but it sure as hell sounds like Dan McCoy's Seabiscut bit.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 16, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ok, I can't watch this anymore, Crow just pronounced GIF the incorrect way.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Gather 'round, children!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifEI7OlkQH8

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Did the robot guy in starcrash really just say a jivey "FEETS, DON'T FAIL ME NOW"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe this is a menu and you have to click on what story we want to see.

Seriously that opening to Wizards of the Lost Kingdom feels like they originally shot a tv show but it got turned into a movie.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe this is a menu and you have to click on what story we want to see.

Seriously that opening to Wizards of the Lost Kingdom feels like they originally shot a tv show but it got turned into a movie.

I'm watching that again right now, and that whole opening sequence is hysterical.

"This is less medival times and more medival Tims."

I think my favorite riff in that one is where the bug lady puts the kid in that bizarre dream sequence trance and when the film smash cuts back to the lady they drop "...and that's how babies are made.'

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The second one, though, I kinda wish they hadn't called out what they cut, because Joel's right, David Carradine fighting a squid monster sounds cool to the point that it hurts the premise of the show. The movies are supposed to be bad on their own, not bad because the production team cut out stuff that makes it good/make sense.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I still can't figure out if the parts of Stella's outfits that keep disappearing and reappearing are continuity flubs or just fan service.

Or both. It's both, isn't it?

I once spoke to Luigi Cozzi (aka Lewis Coates) about Starcrash (*) and the basic answer to any continuity or logic question is "because it was fun to do that". He's the directorial embodiment of the "you should really just relax" line from the MST3K song. He's a cool dude.

(*) you can too if you're in Rome - he runs a horror shop with Dario Argento (it's called "Profondo Rosso") and he's often there and he's very amicable and ready to talk about his stuff or movies in general ... I highly recommend taking a tour of the basement where they keep a bunch of movie props from his and Argento's films (including the robots from Starcrash!)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
11x12
Daughter: Do we have to go skating?
Love Interest: Where do you wanna go?
Daughter: Well, we never really had time to talk...
Crow (as daughter): Take me to the talking rink!

That one just caught me totally off-guard, it's such a perfect little bit of absurdism.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm on The Beast of Hollow Mountain now. So far, Avalanche is the only episode where I found them to be riffing too much like people have been saying. They definitely feel jittery, whereas I think at least in the original Joel era there was this sort of baked quality to the riffing that felt a bit more passive, but in a good way. Its one of those situations where the tone is slightly off on certain things, I also feel like the host segments feel like they cut off suddenly, they're missing a beat or two in there.

Overall though the new season is a joy and I'm with everyone that Cry Wilderness is an all-timer episode. Also, count me in for the Servo/Jonah sound alike club, I can't differentiate voices for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It does get easier later, I feel like that's something they maybe got told after a day or two of VO for the riffs and Baron adjusted his performance because he seems to be enunciating much more deliberately and trying to stay in a lower register in the later ones.