Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of things that own, I just finished Hollow Knight. That is a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I agree with SE4 being the one to play if you haven't played any of them.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

SirSamVimes posted:

Speaking of things that own, I just finished Hollow Knight. That is a good game.

I was really excited I got it for the humble monthly. Then I realized it was a demo. Welp.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

far cry 2 was a great tech demo that should've been bought up and used to make an actual game

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

SirSamVimes posted:

:yeah:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cowcaster posted:

far cry 2 was a great tech demo that should've been bought up and used to make an actual game

perhaps that game will be ghost warrior 3...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Orv
May 4, 2011
That sounds contagious.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

how broughnys see themselves

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hahaha the hell is this

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So this is it for my weeklong dive into the Weeklong Deals. It turns out that I saved the best for last, because I wasn't really expecting anything from today's game and it ended up being immensely fun.

Monday - Happy Room
Tuesday - King's Bounty: The Legend
Wednesday - Incredipede
Thursday - Mirror Mysteries
Friday? - Bardbarian
Saturday - Screencheat
Sunday - Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers

I've never had this much fun looking for underpants before, and that's something I do every day. I don't normally have to topple ruins or cleave mountains or send boulders rocketing into space to find them though, so that's something. Really the accomplishment of Tiny and Big is taking a simple set of mechanics, and not only crafting an entertaining journey to use them on, but giving you all kinds of chaos you can cause with them. It's a game that knows it's fun, wants you to enjoy it to the fullest, and does a really good job of letting you do just that.

The oddly monochromatic Tiny is on the trail of an heirloom of his grandpa's, taken by the dastardly and equally monochromatic Big. His quest leads him to a mysterious desert full of ruins that very quickly take on a life of their own. As he hunts Big and his treasure, the hidden history of the world begins to emerge from the sands, and the adventure becomes a battle against a primal and terrifying force of nature. And yes, the heirloom in question is a pair of grungy underpants.

The entire game is steeped in this sort of punky, irreverant humor, starting with the art style. The thick lines, limited color palette, and simple faces evoke the underground comics of yesteryear, complete with impact text that pops up 60s Batman style whenever something dramatic happens. And once you start exploring the towering and mysterious ruins, you'll feel like you're skipping across the pages of Krazy Kat or SCUD's bizarre wastelands. It's a fantastic look, supported by some goofy dialogue and an impressively jazzy soundtrack that can be expanded by finding hidden cassette tapes.

What works even better than the aesthetic, though, is the puzzling. You have no weapons and no fancy abilities to move around, just three tools that let you wreak havoc on the environment. The first is a hook that lets you grab an object and drag it around, and we're not just talking little barrels or whatever. You can topple towering pillars and pull enormous gates open with this thing, despite Tiny's name-appropriate stature. You also have a rocket you can stick to things to help scoot them across the ground, or more often send them careening into the horizon.

But the real star of the show is your laser, which lets you slice anything in the world. As long as you're close enough and your beam can reach all the way across whatever it is, you can chop it up. Pillars, walkways, bridges, walls, cliffs, buildings, you name it, you can destroy it. This is used to fantastic effect in challenging you to cross gaps, descend shafts, or scale sheer walls. But there are plenty of other places you can get to by cleverly carving stones into your own bridges or ramps, and the wide open levels encourage exploration with collectible stones, the aforementioned cassettes, secret minigames, and special scenes that expand the backstory of the world.

Once I had a feel for the game I was unstoppable, slicing pillars into bridges and hacking cliffs into scalable ramps wherever I went. But I would still stop every few minutes to carve up a statue or a wall, just because I could. The tools in Tiny and Big are just so much fun to play with, you could easily spend 20 minutes just ruining a level by chopping it to bits and giggling the whole time. It even understands this, and gives you achievements for going bonkers with your powers and destorying artifacts and landmarks. It's silly and entertaining all the way through, not just in the way it's presented but in how it's designed.

Reclaiming your underpants won't take much more than two hours, but those are some of the best two hours to be had in a third-person puzzler. Plus there are secrets and par scores to challenge for each of the game's six levels, along with over fifty achievements for doing all sorts of funky things. Considering how unique it is in look, feel, and gameplay, there's really no excuse for missing out on this one. Tiny and Big is an absolute gem, the kind of funky, one-of-a-kind gem that more games should aspire to be.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah Tiny & Big is alright. The platforming itself is kind of low-budget but in terms of "how can I get there" it's fun. If you liked getting out of bounds in Blood Gulch in Halo1 you'll probably enjoy figuring out how to traverse Tiny & Big

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

corn in the bible posted:

Hahaha the hell is this

http://store.steampowered.com/app/490690/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I bet you dollars to doughnuts that everyone who got one (e.g., me) owns Wasteland 2 (e.g., also me).

https://www.facebook.com/Ranger.HQ/posts/1336667403049186

I already own Torment so if y'all run out of coupons to give away, let me know!

That's definitely it, then. Makes sense.

Offer will be valid until May 14th, so if anyone's interested in a -25% coupon for Torment: Tides of Numenera, let me know.

Still looks more natural than Mass Effect: Andromeda

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 17, 2017

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Phlegmish posted:

Well, making contact is a pretty important first step.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SirSamVimes posted:

How far along in it am I if I just beat the Soul Master and got the down smash thingy? Like a third?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ciaphas posted:

How far along in it am I if I just beat the Soul Master and got the down smash thingy? Like a third?

Somewhere between a quarter and a third, I think. My playthrough ended up racking up 28 hours which is a huge amount of content for a Metroidvania.

My biggest problem with the game is that there's no Dream refight for the Mantis Lords.

Edit: That and the fact that there's only one stag station in Deepnest/Ancient Basin/Kingdom's Edge and that's way on one side.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 17, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah Tiny & Big is alright. The platforming itself is kind of low-budget but in terms of "how can I get there" it's fun. If you liked getting out of bounds in Blood Gulch in Halo1 you'll probably enjoy figuring out how to traverse Tiny & Big

I enjoyed the traversal but I kind of petered out when I got to the boss fight with the hovering psychic guy that tossed stuff at you while you chased him through the level and I kept dying and restarting. Having to balance platforming and combat and defense at the same time didn't really feel like the game living up to its potential, especially when the goofy physics went from something you could laugh at to something that could inadvertently knock you off of a platform and start all over.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Here's a review in which I join the crowd slobbering praise on Nier: Automata.

It's easily one of my favorite all-time games now, and given how critical I feel I tend to be, it's no small praise. It's a good game.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Cowcaster posted:

That tech had you turn your back on an outpost you just cleared and reset it before you could 360.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Somewhere between a quarter and a third, I think. My playthrough ended up racking up 28 hours which is a huge amount of content for a Metroidvania.

My biggest problem with the game is that there's no Dream refight for the Mantis Lords.

Edit: That and the fact that there's only one stag station in Deepnest/Ancient Basin/Kingdom's Edge and that's way on one side.

Blehh. I know it's kind of the thing for metroidlikes but I'm getting tired of retreading ground :(

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ciaphas posted:

Blehh. I know it's kind of the thing for metroidlikes but I'm getting tired of retreading ground :(

I mean for most of the game the stag stations are convenient enough for the backtracking to not be an issue but around the bottom of the map it's pretty godawful.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do I get an item to let me navigate these dark rooms I'm running into or do I just gotta push my luck in the dark and hope to not land on spikes?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Here's a review in which I join the crowd slobbering praise on Nier: Automata.

It's easily one of my favorite all-time games now, and given how critical I feel I tend to be, it's no small praise. It's a good game.

Nice write-up! You're in for a treat if you're only now about to fire into Nier 1. And by a "treat" I mean sweet misery.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

FauxLeather posted:

Nice write-up! You're in for a treat if you're only now about to fire into Nier 1. And by a "treat" I mean sweet misery.

I'm about 3 hours in on Nier and it's interesting to see a lot of Automata's ideas in an unpolished, larval form, at least. Kind of eerie, actually. Not nearly as rough as Drakengard, thankfully.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Do I get an item to let me navigate these dark rooms I'm running into or do I just gotta push my luck in the dark and hope to not land on spikes?

You can buy a lantern from Sly's shop. If you haven't met Sly, explore the southeast corner of the crossroads. Note that the lantern is absurdly expensive, so if you don't have enough money you should explore elsewhere for now.

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean for most of the game the stag stations are convenient enough for the backtracking to not be an issue but around the bottom of the map it's pretty godawful.

I like the implication that the king was like "enough of these old-fashioned stags, we're only using these fancy new trams for our most important places!" but then the trams suck and fall apart but the stags keep kicking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks, I would never have thought of ever going back there, since I'd already explored that area. Wonder how I missed him.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm about 3 hours in on Nier and it's interesting to see a lot of Automata's ideas in an unpolished, larval form, at least. Kind of eerie, actually. Not nearly as rough as Drakengard, thankfully.

Please keep posting your thoughts on the original game since the thread for that has long since been archived.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Warbird posted:

Ok, so follow-up question.

What games have bad grappling hooks? More importantly, why are they bad?

RONIN had a grappling hook that was not so great. In a game that was entirely about placement and needing to see exactly where your move will put you, I found the grapple to be just vague enough to be unreliable. Which was too bad because swinging into dudes was a way to knock them down or even push them off ledges. But it hosed me enough times that I didn't like to use it.

(Other major flaw of Ronin: you know how SuperHot does the "real-time" replay of the level you just played, showing you rear end the bad-rear end stuff you just did? Well, imagine if it didn't have that and how much you'd miss it. That's what finishing a good sequence in ronin is like.)

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I just finished Orwell and while I find it a compelling format and game the ending was expectedly hamfisted. It would be really cool if people started making more games like this but less self-serious and deliberately relevant. I enjoyed my time with the game though. Buy it on sale - if it looks like something you'd enjoy, you'll probably enjoy it.

Also I had some wallet credit and got Mimpy Dreams to play with my 4 year-old daughter.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/444770/

It's actually a rather compelling puzzle platformer with super cute animations, characters, and sounds. I got it as something to play with her other than say Dying Light but have found myself playing it when she's not even around. Also they seem to be always expanding the game, which is a trait I try to encourage in developers by giving them money.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bad day posted:

I just finished Orwell and while I find it a compelling format and game the ending was expectedly hamfisted. It would be really cool if people started making more games like this but less self-serious and deliberately relevant. I enjoyed my time with the game though. Buy it on sale - if it looks like something you'd enjoy, you'll probably enjoy it.

It's bad because the first episode/demo was pretty good, and with the weekly release schedule you'd think everything was all wrapped up and of similar quality, but nope, the ending of the next-to-last episode had a terrible ending and then it just got silly. Supposedly there's a patch that lets you replay parts of the game to see all the paths but why would you want to?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

you would have thought orwell is a "surveillance of the week" thing or like papers please with an actually good overarching political shenanigans in the background, but it turns out you're just spying on the same poo poo people for the whole game

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Far Cry 2: Spend all your diamonds on a Ghillie suit in a game without any stealth mechanics

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I can confirm that Elder Scrolls Online is pretty good. I played it like I do with any other Elder Scrolls title and I wasn't disappointed.

It also has the best combat system in any Elder Scrolls game by... Actually having a combat system, really.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Klyith posted:

RONIN had a grappling hook that was not so great. In a game that was entirely about placement and needing to see exactly where your move will put you, I found the grapple to be just vague enough to be unreliable. Which was too bad because swinging into dudes was a way to knock them down or even push them off ledges. But it hosed me enough times that I didn't like to use it.

(Other major flaw of Ronin: you know how SuperHot does the "real-time" replay of the level you just played, showing you rear end the bad-rear end stuff you just did? Well, imagine if it didn't have that and how much you'd miss it. That's what finishing a good sequence in ronin is like.)

I must be the only one who actually mastered the combat system and didn't have a problem with it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt Nier the one with old dad protagonist in the west, while the japanese release had a young male protagonist? Or am I thinking of something else?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Phlegmish posted:

I still can't tell if he's wearing a shirt or just has really hosed up body hair. :psyduck:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Isnt Nier the one with old dad protagonist in the west, while the japanese release had a young male protagonist? Or am I thinking of something else?

Japan got both dad version (Gestalt) and brother version (Replicant), but Gestalt was for the 360 and Replicant for PS3 so you can imagine how that turned out

NA/EU only got Gestalt and they just called it Nier but it was released on both consoles.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 17, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Synthbuttrange posted:

You're right, that's Nier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Jagged Jim posted:

I still can't tell if he's wearing a shirt or just has really hosed up body hair. :psyduck:
It's a shirt because he takes it off to do the ice bucket challenge.

And barbarians always wax.

• Locked thread