Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

Not at our local Kroger you can't.

Amazon carries a lot of this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

McSpergin posted:

gently caress yeah, I buy these in 5-packs locally. They're great with a squirt of kewpie Mayo mixed in

I love these, a local Asian grocery carries them. I particularly enjoy how the only English word on the front is "Mania"

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
A couple former military guys and I had a discussion yesterday, we all agreed the jalapeno cheddar spread in US MREs is the best thing.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Bought an mre off eBay after watching a million YouTube mre videos. Sort of picking at it as my dietary needs aren't exactly warfighter level. The fudge brownie is probably the sweetest thing I've ever tasted and looks like a brick of heroin. A+!

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
I tried a homemade plumpy nut recipe a few years ago, I want to say it was 2 parts peanut butter, 2 parts powdered milk, and 1 part honey, but those ratios could be off. It was a bitch and a half to mix and I burnt out the motor on a hand mixer. It wasn't terrible, you can probably guess the flavor, crunchy super sweet peanut butter. I assume it's fairly close to the real thing in terms of taste and consistency, just lacking the vitamins and minerals. I would like to try the real thing sometime.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Bought an mre off eBay after watching a million YouTube mre videos. Sort of picking at it as my dietary needs aren't exactly warfighter level. The fudge brownie is probably the sweetest thing I've ever tasted and looks like a brick of heroin. A+!

Try to get a First Strike Ration that includes the peanut butter bar. It's got the texture of eating Play-Doh but it's delicious.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

chitoryu12 posted:

Try to get a First Strike Ration that includes the peanut butter bar. It's got the texture of eating Play-Doh but it's delicious.

3 for £100. Bargain!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Honestly, after eating MRE's exclusively for a few days, the brownie and spice pound cake et al. taste appropriately sweet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I just saw an ad on TV for 'gourmet survival rations' by Wise. Allegedly a 25-year lifespan, 'call in the next five minutes for a free sample' infomerical type sell.

The most bougie thing on TV.

But hey if you're willing to get spammed by them for our amusement, it is another ration to try.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

I just saw an ad on TV for 'gourmet survival rations' by Wise. Allegedly a 25-year lifespan, 'call in the next five minutes for a free sample' infomerical type sell.

The most bougie thing on TV.

But hey if you're willing to get spammed by them for our amusement, it is another ration to try.

I took at look at their website and I get hit by pop-up demands for me to enter my email address or enter a coupon code on practically every page. It doesn't even look like I can buy more than a handful of sample items from them as individual meals, just survival kits for 72 hours to 12 months.

Otherwise they seem to be the exact same buckets of freeze-dried meals from places like Mountain House.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
All the more for me, I'll be laughing the last laugh in my Chanel dress and freshwater pearls while gnawing at a solidified fig bar with slowly decaying radioactive teeth

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Thanks, chitoryu12. Between you and Steve the mre guy I'm interested in this gross stuff. Have an IRP sitting on my coffee table and a wife laughing at me for buying expensive lovely food.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Gridlocked posted:

It may just be the heightened political atmosphere that has this itching for me but: Man do Americans love sticking their flag on EVERYTHING they.

They learned that the hard way.

The Ugly American, by W.J.Lederer and E.Burdick posted:

Not long ago, while one of our authors was in Pakistan, our economic mission delivered a shipment of American tractors. Within a few days it was commonly accepted throughout the countryside that the tractors had been given to Pakistan by Russia. After considerable argument with a prominent Pakistani newspaper editor, the author persuaded him to inspect the tractors. They turned out to be American, of course; but on every flat surface of each tractor local Communists had stencilled a red hammer and sickle.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Have you tried any of that stuff end-of-the-world food Jim Baker was selling awhile back? He mixed it in a bucket with a shovel

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There is no way I am giving him money to try it, but by all reports I've heard it's just foul as Hell. Here's NPR's take:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/03/456677535/apocalypse-chow-we-tried-televangelist-jim-bakkers-survival-food

They taste, he says, like, "paper-mache," "a bathroom at a bar at the end of the night in a college town," and, simply, "one of the worst things I've ever eaten in my life."

This weekend I am partaking in the hysterically expensive and dorky hobby of LARPing this weekend at some all-day events outside traipsing around on wooded hunting land in full armor, and pondering what sorts of trail food a divine warrior from a quasi-medieval fantasy realm would have in his pouch. I'm thinking some almonds and dried dates would fit the bill, though I'm considering ordering some pilot bread too. Jerky or pemmican would be "ahistorical" in the sense they didn't have it in historical medieval Europe, but since it's a fantasy land I figure they could plausibly make it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

There is no way I am giving him money to try it, but by all reports I've heard it's just foul as Hell. Here's NPR's take:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/03/456677535/apocalypse-chow-we-tried-televangelist-jim-bakkers-survival-food

They taste, he says, like, "paper-mache," "a bathroom at a bar at the end of the night in a college town," and, simply, "one of the worst things I've ever eaten in my life."

This weekend I am partaking in the hysterically expensive and dorky hobby of LARPing this weekend at some all-day events outside traipsing around on wooded hunting land in full armor, and pondering what sorts of trail food a divine warrior from a quasi-medieval fantasy realm would have in his pouch. I'm thinking some almonds and dried dates would fit the bill, though I'm considering ordering some pilot bread too. Jerky or pemmican would be "ahistorical" in the sense they didn't have it in historical medieval Europe, but since it's a fantasy land I figure they could plausibly make it.

It's basically whatever would have historically existed in the area that makes sense. Bread in the form of hardtack, nuts, dried fruits and vegetables, and hard cheese that could keep well for a while. For prepared foods and meat, the best you'd get would probably be pies (think a rougher, tougher Cornish pasty) and dried meat.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

chitoryu12 posted:

It's basically whatever would have historically existed in the area that makes sense. Bread in the form of hardtack, nuts, dried fruits and vegetables, and hard cheese that could keep well for a while. For prepared foods and meat, the best you'd get would probably be pies (think a rougher, tougher Cornish pasty) and dried meat.

Dried fish too.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Strangely, I actually want to find more of the caraway biscuits I found in my Polish and Lithuanian rations. Looks like I'd have to import them.

drat shame, they were really good as a light breakfast with jam and coffee.

I'm going to gently caress around and see if I can't reproduce something similar.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Caraway seasons rye bread so you may be able to expand your search results by using that as your search term.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Can't some sausages last quite a while? Not forever, but a reasonably long time for your medieval paladin larp adventures.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Summer sausage types of things don't need to be refrigerated, yeah. That, hard cheese, some dense bread, nuts, dried fruit. All good medieval-esque rations. Dried cod has a pretty long history in Europe too, among other dried fish.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 11, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Whatever the guy in My Summer Car eats is probably acceptable as divine warrior food.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Beer?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Panforte would be authentic

So would cheese and bacon or fatback.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 12, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Oh man; panforte sounds good as Hell. I would be the most popular paladin in the realm if I carried a sharing amount of that with my kit. I'm gonna try that for the next event. Not sure if it would arrive in time this weekend from anywhere I could order it. I have never had it.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 12, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Oh man; panforte sounds good as Hell. I would be the most popular paladin in the realm if I carried a sharing amount of that with my kit. I'm gonna try that for the next event. Not sure if it would arrive in time this weekend from anywhere I could order it. I have never had it.

You could make it yourself for the cheaper, more fun, and more authentic experience.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/panforte-107438

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

quote:

Cooks' note:
• The flavors of panforte deepen over time — it's best made at least 1 week ahead and chilled in a large sealed plastic bag.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

This weekend I am partaking in the hysterically expensive and dorky hobby of LARPing this weekend at some all-day events outside traipsing around on wooded hunting land in full armor, and pondering what sorts of trail food a divine warrior from a quasi-medieval fantasy realm would have in his pouch.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Seconding panforte in general, but look into panpepato also - it's a kind of panforte that is stronger and more heavily spiced, and is specifically mentioned by Crusaders as a desireable item.

Prism fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 13, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm not much of a cook, but maybe I'll try making one for the next event. I ended up getting a prepared one overnighted via Amazon Prime due to arrive today. I will split it with some of my brothers in foam arms over the weekend and share my opinion of this crusader confection with the thread. :)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I like the direction this thread is taking.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did someone say VIKING FOOD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDyVjHWERQU&t=287s

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

According to a book I bought about cellaring beers, anything boozy (8% and above ABV), made with smoked malt, or sour/farmhouse will keep for upwards of 20 years. There was a story about people finding 200+ year old beer in shipwrecks and it was still drinkable because it was high ABV stuff that was kept in incredible condition due to the depth of water not over pressurising and bursting it, and the ambient temperature being close to optimal cellar temps (12C)

Source: me, I'm a big spergy beer nerd

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gonna try to make this soon. It's fruitcake, isn't it? I like fruitcake.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Panforte

According to Wikipedia, Panforte was a durable confection enjoyed by monks, pilgims, and crusaders in the Middle Ages.

As such, it was a great suggestion from the thread for me to bring to my goofy fantasy LARP and share with the vaguely ersatz pseudo-Christian fantasy religious order my guy rolls with.

Lacking the time, and, frankly, the culinary skill and inclination to prepare my own, I ordered one off amazon. It came in the form of a small shrink-wrapped cake about the size of a desert plate, frosted with powdered sugar. The shelf life gave its "best before" date as sometime this fall, but I find that this sort of labeling tends to be on the conservative side, so it's not hard to imagine that when dudes in the 13th century were storing this in the larder of the fortress or monastery they were considered good for a year or more.

When the day of the event came, I cut it like a cake and offered it around. One dude thought it was "delicious" and another thought it was "good," a "little different," and would be better served with some coffee. My take was that it tasted a lot like a slice of pecan pie, but without the crust and with a much denser, nougat-y consistency. To me it tasted a little bland, but I realize I'm a big cornfed midwestern ogre used to ridiculous amounts of HFCS in everything from sauces to cereal to beverages. Still, I was a little surprised, since it was billed as a "spice" cake.

I tried to put myself in the headspace of one of this foodstuff contemporaries eating this, and I think it would be pretty excellent. If I were some dude surviving a siege on this, or even just having it as a desert and I hadn't lived a life of modern American sugary decadence I think it would be as good as a slice of pecan pie.

I can't say the addition of an authentic-ish desert type durable food to my Order's feast of sausages and fruits lead directly to our victory in claiming the keep in the coming foam sword and padded arrow battle, but surely it didn't hurt.

It was definitely a cool suggestion and it was nice to add a little more authenticity to the feasting. Thanks, gross military ration thread.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 23, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of military rations, I'm putting up my Canadian review photos now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Canadian IMP

Unfortunately the goon who offered a Canadian ration ended up taking a surprise trip out of the country and was unable to send me one. Fortunately, one came on sale on eBay not long after! These are surprisingly rare to find on eBay for a country right next door, much like Mexican rations.

The Individual Meal Pack was introduced in 1981, and serves as a counterpart to the American MRE.

The packaging is a brown bag with some stiffness to it. Let's tear it open and see wha--

Surprise! It's a bag within a bag!

There's about as much food as an average MRE, and you're liable to see some startling similarities....

This pack gets very Canadian very quickly: the entree of this one is veal cutlet in mushroom sauce, made by Baxters of Canada. As you can see in the pictures, the veal is legit hunks of roast meat rather than some kind of veal patty or reconstituted veal. It's not what you'd expect from a military ration, but it's a rare taste of gourmet for a guy in the field. Personally I don't eat veal very often due to its stronger taste, but this was an interesting alternative to chili and stew.

Two packets of a lime sports drink. It was more sour than I was expecting; much like with the veal, I think Canada is fine with its soldiers getting stronger tastes.

The chicken rice was dehydrated and prepared simply with hot water. It had an intensely umami, salty flavor that probably isn't for everyone.

This pack of tortillas may be familiar to you if you've eaten more than a few MREs. See the manufacturer? These are the exact same tortillas issued to the US military. It seems like Wornick was contracted to make the same product for Canada as well, and they simply changed the color of the package and made the bilingual nutritional information French rather than Spanish.

Some peanut butter and raspberry jam (decorated with maple leafs, because of course they are) for the tortillas.

The Soldier Fuel bar bears a distinct similarity in taste and texture to the old Hooah bars of the American military. That's because these are the same bars, repackaged and rebranded since 2004. Much like the tortillas, the Canadian bars are identical to the energy bars I've covered in prior US rations.

Dessert is a Baxters bagged fruit cocktail; to save on money, they put everything in the same pouch and just put a warning not to cook it if it's full of fruit. I wasn't a huge fan; as you can see from the opened pouch, there's a lot of juice and not a lot of fruit, and what fruit is in there is cloyingly sweet.

There's a small pack of Ice Breakers Frost chewing gum for freshening your breath.

The instant coffee is off-the-shell Nescafe 3 In 1.

A little tea bag full of some lovely orange pekoe.

A pack of "whitener" for your hot beverage. Only one is provided, but since the coffee is a brand with pre-mixed creamer and sugar you can probably save it for your tea.

Some sugar.

In case you like your veal with some kick, a packet of Frank's Red Hot is provided in contrast to the American love of Tabasco.

An almost completely unmarked book of matches, a wet wipe, and a hot beverage bag round out the sundries.

------

Overall the Canadian ration, much like Canada, comes off as simply a different part of the United States.

I'm currently completely out of new rations to try. The only thing I have an angle on at a reasonable price is the newer Chinese model in the brown bag; I know where to get German, but that gets up to $80 after shipping. Hopefully I'll be able to find something new to provide here!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm laughing at the fact that the energy bar is just an Eat-More bar.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Hello thread, no idea why I haven't been here before. Go figure. Personal fav: US MRE chicken ala king. I've never actually been in the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've had thoughts of buying a US tray ration meant for field kitchens and seeing how the taste is, but those are meant for group feeding. Maybe if I have a potluck to plan or something.

• Locked thread