Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

For Nier: Automata: Is this sidequest flowchart from the first nier still relevant? Or are sidequests actually worth doing in this one?

There are almost no quests that require you to gather materials, and those that do tell you exactly where to find them and trigger guaranteed drops, but most likely you'll even have the materials already. There are 60 quests and I thought only 2 or 3 weren't worth the effort, none of which require item farming (one is a race, another requires you to encounter every enemy type). Do the sidequests.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just picked up Fire Emblem: Awakening. I've played the series before but is there any particularly new things I should be aware of? I especially don't want to miss any new recruits, I'm hoping it's pretty obvious who they are/when to get them?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Pairing up is the new mechanic to Awakening and it breaks the balance in half. Regarding recruitable units it's almost always just talk to them with Chrom and even if it's not it's very obvious who to use to recruit them so you're fine there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ainsley McTree posted:

For Nier: Automata: Is this sidequest flowchart from the first nier still relevant? Or are sidequests actually worth doing in this one?

I found the writing and general flavor text of Nier:A's sidequests to be entertaining enough that I found most of them worth doing. I have about 4 left at this point and I'm kind of balking at doing them only because they're like "kill 95% of all enemy types, including a bunch of rare spawns" and "max out all weapons" and the like, but the rest have been quite painless.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm not playing Persona 5, but anybody have tips on how to create S-Links with real people? My persona is not very good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Millennial Sexlord posted:

I'm not playing Persona 5, but anybody have tips on how to create S-Links with real people? My persona is not very good.

Be kind, be patient, be friendly. Can't be more specific without knowing who you wanna befriend, but that's generally how I roll and it seems to work okay!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I especially don't want to miss any new recruits

S-supports among 1st generation characters is how you get the children characters. The child is based on the mom - Lissa always has Owain as a son, for example - and the father determines hair color, available classes, and stat caps. If you aren't some min-maxing hoe then it doesn't really matter who shacks up with who. This only applies to characters with full support sets, as some characters can only get an S rank with the Avatar and don't have their own child. The Avatar always has a child of their opposite gender (or the gender of their spouse, if you look at it that way) so you're going to have one blushing uguu waifu/husbando.

Sumia (the first pegasus knight) has an oddly restricted list of potential husbands, so don't accidentally lock her out by marrying everyone off.

Though 2nd generation characters can get S-supports, they don't have children unless their partner is the Avatar, so don't worry about it too much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

S-supports among 1st generation characters is how you get the children characters. The child is based on the mom - Lissa always has Owain as a son, for example - and the father determines hair color, available classes, and stat caps. If you aren't some min-maxing hoe then it doesn't really matter who shacks up with who. This only applies to characters with full support sets, as some characters can only get an S rank with the Avatar and don't have their own child. The Avatar always has a child of their opposite gender (or the gender of their spouse, if you look at it that way) so you're going to have one blushing uguu waifu/husbando.

Sumia (the first pegasus knight) has an oddly restricted list of potential husbands, so don't accidentally lock her out by marrying everyone off.

Though 2nd generation characters can get S-supports, they don't have children unless their partner is the Avatar, so don't worry about it too much.

I'm just curious as to how Fire Emblem works with this kind of thing in-general; Is there just a point in the story of each game where it leaps to like 15-20 years later following the next generation?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Millennial Sexlord posted:

that's because your arcana is the hermit

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Good stuff. Supports was the one thing I was bit anxious about since people like to break games. I'll be happy pairing off those who're convenient. Any advice on DLC, I'm very tempted to pick it all up but that seems silly.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ok but like, do I need to wait until it's raining to invite someone over to study?

Persona is loving stupid.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm just curious as to how Fire Emblem works with this kind of thing in-general; Is there just a point in the story of each game where it leaps to like 15-20 years later following the next generation?

FE4 has a timeskip. Awakening involves time travel, and Fates involves accelerated time in pocket dimensions.

It's best not to think about the last two too hard.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Good stuff. Supports was the one thing I was bit anxious about since people like to break games. I'll be happy pairing off those who're convenient. Any advice on DLC, I'm very tempted to pick it all up but that seems silly.

The three Scrambles and The Future Past are the only ones that give you more story or character interaction. The golden pack is hardcore grinding. Apotheosis is the super-hard bonus battle that justifies being a min-maxing hoe. The rest are mostly old FE characters if you want Marth and Roy or whatever, and extra skills and classes. If you want to try Apotheosis you pretty much need Rogues and Redeemers 3 as well for Limit Breaker to have enough stats to get anywhere.

You can grind freely without the DLC - the game expects you to a bit - so don't think you need it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something to add for Persona 5;

Don't bother reading the books that tell you about Hangout spots. You will encounter all of them by endgame just from going there with other people for their own Confidant rank-up events, or even main-story events. The only ones worth reading are for the Shrine (praying adds 2 points to one of your Confidant relationships) and Fishing Spots (opens up a place to go fishing).

Like, another spot to go other than the first? What's different there?

Also, out of curiousity, what happens in Persona 5 if you hit your deadline without doing the palace? Is it like Persona 4, in that it just rolls back a week of time?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Also, out of curiousity, what happens in Persona 5 if you hit your deadline without doing the palace? Is it like Persona 4, in that it just rolls back a week of time?

Yes, but also you get an awful and sad ending for each palace.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm gonna throw in some more tips for it later on but until then, if it's not too much trouble, could Shadowrun: Hong Kong get its own page? I'm not sure why it's under Shadowrun Returns seeing how it's a completely separate game and doesn't even carry the Returns name.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut could probably use its own page too as I think practically everyone nowadays will play the standalone version, but that one I can see it staying with Returns as well.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Anything for Nioh?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Whoever put the Teleglitch stuff in the wiki might wanna fix the formatting, since they have the time to remove stuff (I was saying stimulants are poo poo and a waste of medkits).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bedurndurn posted:

Anything for Nioh?

The skills which say you can ki pulse while dodging are wrong - this means ki pulse activates WHEN you dodge. As ki management is a major part of the game, this is a huge huge huge improvement, and you should prioritize those skills at once. They're cross-weapon as well, so if you - say - buy them for the spear they'll automatically unlock for dual swords.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Nioh

You can block some stuff that seems like you shouldn't be able to, like things breathing fire.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
This is a little beyond the scope of the thread, but I'm playing through the first Nier game and I'm up to 98% of the sidequests with only the pink moonflower growing sidequests to go. If I beat the game am I locked out of 100%for this? Do I get a chance to redo the quest after I'm through NG?

gently caress this sidequest.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Oscar Wild posted:

This is a little beyond the scope of the thread, but I'm playing through the first Nier game and I'm up to 98% of the sidequests with only the pink moonflower growing sidequests to go. If I beat the game am I locked out of 100%for this? Do I get a chance to redo the quest after I'm through NG?

After the timeskip in the story, you start NG+ from there on. There's missables before the skip, but otherwise you're fine. If you're into achievements/trophies, the trigger for the endings happens after the credit roll. I didn't know this and didn't get credit for ending C.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

NG+ only takes you as far back as the big time-skip part, and I'm pretty sure the moonflower quest is after that, so you should be good to finish the first ending whenever. Just as long as you finish it before you go for the final ending.

The big Cavia "gently caress you" is that 51% of the sidequests are before the time-skip, so if you you missed one of those, it's already too late unless you start completely over.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Ahh, thanks. Ill do it on NG+. I didn't mind most of the side quests, but I'm losing momentum and want to finish before starting the new Nier.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Bedurndurn posted:

Anything for Nioh?

A few things I guess:
If you want to get every single Kodama, either use a guide or find a talisman/other gear with Kodama Sense. Some of them can be pretty annoying to find and it's generally not fun to have to search every nook and cranny because you missed one when you're in front of the boss door. You can see how many Kodamas are in a mission on the mission select on the map. Generally only "main" missions will have Kodamas though.

The further you get, the more important the stances get. The second boss (the one in the caves) was where I had to start appreciating low stance. Most of the trash enemies can be dealt with in mid stance though.

You can headshot with ranged weapons, and it's a great strategy for softening up/reducing numbers in tough encounters.

If you have played the Souls games, realize that dodge in Nioh is MUCH more powerful and can get you out of far stickier situations than the dodge roll could in Dark Souls.

If you're swimming in whetstones, just use enough to get max familiarity with new weapons right away. The effect applies to all equipped weapons too, so if you're using a new main weapon, a new off weapon and like one ranged weapon you'll get more bang for your buck than if you equip just one melee weapon.

There are two types of familiarity. One is for the weapon you have equipped, which increases that weapon's damage, one is for that weapon type. The second type will give you samurai skill points at regular intervals and will also be a limiting factor for some later specialized missions. It's not a bad idea to switch up your weapon for your secondary at times to get more samurai points, but don't spread yourself too thin. Focusing on more than two damage stats when leveling could gimp you in the long run. I focused on two damage stats and had some points in whatever stat governs ninjutsu and some in HP/Ki and I almost maxed out two of the samurai trees towards the end though, so it's not that strict.

If you don't go deep into the ninjutsu tree, at least get the paralysis/poison cure stuff. If you do go a bit deeper, get the poison weapon buff, some big enemies go down way faster if you stick poison on them.

Gestures aren't just for co-op. Some enemies can be interacted with using gestures.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Oscar Wild posted:

You get nothing for completing every sidequest so there's no reason to bother.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

There's just the one, that's a typo.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's just the one, that's a typo.

I don't think you need to read about that one either, I was invited there by Ryuji some point after starting Kawakami's confidant, you can gain points with both of them.

Or did you mean including it at all was a typo?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Overminty posted:

I don't think you need to read about that one either, I was invited there by Ryuji some point after starting Kawakami's confidant, you can gain points with both of them.

Or did you mean including it at all was a typo?

Just that there is more than one is a typo. I didn't get the trip there with Ryuji, but I'm not surprised it exists like with all the other Hangouts.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Whoever put the Teleglitch stuff in the wiki might wanna fix the formatting, since they have the time to remove stuff (I was saying stimulants are poo poo and a waste of medkits).

I put it in. If I removed anything, it's because I thought it was something a first time player would't need to know. Perhaps I took out too much?

What formatting problems did you see? I looked and didn't notice anything.

Kanfy posted:

I'm gonna throw in some more tips for it later on but until then, if it's not too much trouble, could Shadowrun: Hong Kong get its own page? I'm not sure why it's under Shadowrun Returns seeing how it's a completely separate game and doesn't even carry the Returns name.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut could probably use its own page too as I think practically everyone nowadays will play the standalone version, but that one I can see it staying with Returns as well.

I've moved Hong Kong to its own page.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Centipeed posted:

What formatting problems did you see? I looked and didn't notice anything.
Spoilers (if it's impossible to preserve them, just remove them outright) and tags in the "fork knife".
As for advice, I didn't include some stuff on purpose because it could spoil the !!fun!! of getting kicked in the nuts by the game :v:

Also, forgot this:

Some special ammo is only craftable after you obtain the gun for it. If you craft the ammo once, it'll go into the item database and be craftable from the start on subsequent playthroughs.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 22, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Centipeed posted:

I've moved Hong Kong to its own page.

Cheers!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Persona 5

I want a spoiler free map that tells me where my Confidants are, I'd search for it for myself, but I don't want to be spoiled :(

Does anyone know of something good like that around?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

Persona 5

I want a spoiler free map that tells me where my Confidants are, I'd search for it for myself, but I don't want to be spoiled :(

They appear on the Tokyo map, even the ones you haven't started. Press Square and it'll list who is at that general location in Tokyo (with a general description instead of a name if you haven't started it yet). ALL of them are introduced to you as the story progresses, it's not like P3/P4 where you have to hunt for a couple with part-time jobs and random guessing.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Persona 5

On the big subway map thing, you can hit square to see which confidants are in that zone. The icon next to their name is either grey (they're not currently available that day or you haven't unlocked them yet), blue (you can meet them) or UP (you can meet them and rank up the confidant).

Do you mean like finding where in the hell Ann is in Shibuya because there's like 5 different areas in that zone? That's harder to say without getting into spoiler territory about who you'll eventually meet. I will say that most of the adults stay in basically the same spot. It's mainly your fellow kids that appear at different places and make your life difficult when you go looking for them. So if you just get a handle on where Ann/Ryuji/etc can spawn, then you're basically set.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bedurndurn posted:

Anything for Nioh?

If you don't care about stats, the only build you need is

30 Dex, 30 Magic, 25 Spirit and rest in Skill (or STR if you use axes) and all other stats at least 10.

This is the most diverse build and you have plenty of skill points to spend

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I played through the first Dead Space this week and while the wiki was helpful, the page for it was a bit of a mess. Lots of repetition, redundancies and some conflicting opinions. No offense to the original people providing tips, but I thought it could use a rewrite: https://pastebin.com/wU1tQU36

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mierenneuker posted:

I played through the first Dead Space this week and while the wiki was helpful, the page for it was a bit of a mess. Lots of repetition, redundancies and some conflicting opinions. No offense to the original people providing tips, but I thought it could use a rewrite: https://pastebin.com/wU1tQU36
Lots of pages need cleaning up, honestly. I suspect the Persona 5 page is going to very rapidly need someone to clean it out, given how many people have been asking about it. Don't ask what the P4 page was like before I took a chainsaw to it. (Hint: Single largest page on the wiki.)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
For Bloodborne how long do I have to decide if I want to get the DLC? I remember reviewers complaining about it locking you out somewhat early in the game.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure that is not correct. As and when you get the DLC the appropriate things will appear to let you access it. You do have to beat a boss with the initials V.A. to access the area, but doing so before purchasing the DLC should make no difference. The only hiccup can be if you proceed to NG+ at which point you do need to progress to the appropriate point in the story again. [On the same or on a new character.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

PJOmega posted:

For Bloodborne how long do I have to decide if I want to get the DLC? I remember reviewers complaining about it locking you out somewhat early in the game.

Pretty much what Tylana said. However, just a fair warning, the DLC is pretty dang tough at the point where you can unlock it. You can still bee-line to some early DLC weapons, though.