Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGKscGPGN5E

Well gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I haven't bothered fighting amrita fiends in forever. Perks of being Onmyo build.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Snak posted:

I haven't bothered fighting amrita fiends in forever. Perks of being Onmyo build.

This particular Oni was powered by a Amrita spike in the basement so it was invulnerable to overdosing and regens health every second making a bitch compared to the rest

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

This particular Oni was powered by a Amrita spike in the basement so it was invulnerable to overdosing and regens health every second making a bitch compared to the rest

Confusion followed by a long, stance-dancing combo should still wreck its poo poo, though.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

I've died to that same enemy in exactly the same way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Finally beat this lol. Probably not gonna bother with NG+. That was long as hell - did not expect to unify japan, watch the credits, and then have yet another mission to do. Anyone know requirements for unlocking all the side missions? The two boss ones are really hard but do I need to open up the whole dojo to get all the missions?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Finally beat this lol. Probably not gonna bother with NG+. That was long as hell - did not expect to unify japan, watch the credits, and then have yet another mission to do. Anyone know requirements for unlocking all the side missions? The two boss ones are really hard but do I need to open up the whole dojo to get all the missions?

The dojo does get you side-missions, yes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I always get exploded by the crystal Oni, forgetting about my elemental damage. :downs:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

Valid in general. What mission was this? I know in the regular Iga Escape that one can be made vulnerable right away...

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I beat the game with a Kusarigama build, but didn't really mess with the Onmyo magic much. For Ninjutsu, the Power Pills, Quickchange Scrolls, and Ground Fire Traps seem like the obvious winners for stuff to bring along every mission.
I'm going to be picking up a little bit of Onmyo Magic after my Dex is capped at 99. What are the best parts of the kit if you're just going to spend 15~20 points?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sloth Talisman is the best bang for your buck. Completely trivializes anything it hits - the description is a bit misleading as it slows down everything the enemy does, not just their movement.

Carnage talisman is more balanced, but also quite powerful. Doubles your attack power for less defense, which is a zero issue if you're mobile.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sloth Talisman looks like it needs 20 points in the skill? Is 20/20 omnyo/ninja good breakpoints for them? Is there ways to get more than, say, 2 fire talismans/flame weapons at a time? How do I get confusion to work? It seems like it's too slow to use the fire one then the water one on the same guy.

If I'm primarily using spears then those magic schools should I really level anything besides body, ki, and those two skills?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
20/20 is good especially in combination with the various locks of hair you pick up. 30/30 is a fantastic breakpoint though and gives you some leeway on what to spend.

Leveling up a talisman's skill enables you to remember more of that talisman at shrines, with the higher levels being cheaper in Jutso cost. So the first rank might cost 6, the second rank 4, etc.

Confusion works with any source of elemental damage. It's very, very easy to proc once you unlock the mystic arts for magic (instant casts, unf), or are using an elemental weapon in low stance.

I'd suggest an all-round build and see what you think. Min/maxing is far from needed in the first NG run, so get a feel of what the different magic does before worrying about having to commit your stats. Even at level 190 I keep respeccing because I find a new toy. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

20/20 is good especially in combination with the various locks of hair you pick up. 30/30 is a fantastic breakpoint though and gives you some leeway on what to spend.

Leveling up a talisman's skill enables you to remember more of that talisman at shrines, with the higher levels being cheaper in Jutso cost. So the first rank might cost 6, the second rank 4, etc.

Confusion works with any source of elemental damage. It's very, very easy to proc once you unlock the mystic arts for magic (instant casts, unf), or are using an elemental weapon in low stance.

I'd suggest an all-round build and see what you think. Min/maxing is far from needed in the first NG run, so get a feel of what the different magic does before worrying about having to commit your stats. Even at level 190 I keep respeccing because I find a new toy. :v:

Thanks for the advice! I don't know what I should expect to end at or if I can respec so figured I should ask early (and now it sounds like I can!).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, while expensive early on, the Books of Reincarnation are really easy to get later. The main story drops quite a few on you, and by the time you hit POTS you'll be earning "divine" gear that sells for buckets at the blacksmith. They max out at 100k gold cost, or around 3k Glory in the teahouse if you're doing a lot of Revenant hunting.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Sloth Talisman is the best bang for your buck. Completely trivializes anything it hits - the description is a bit misleading as it slows down everything the enemy does, not just their movement.

Carnage talisman is more balanced, but also quite powerful. Doubles your attack power for less defense, which is a zero issue if you're mobile.

Yeah, Sloth Talisman is a definite pickup. I'm already using the Ninjutsu power pills which apparently don't stack, so I'll probably stick with those for power boosting, even if they're not as potent (I can afford basically everything on the Ninjutsu side).
I've heard Kekkai is pretty good, and the one that lets you absorb Amrita from hits seems great for picking up an early Living Weapon proc on bosses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Life seal is really, really good against human enemies, because it blocks them from regenerating Ki

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Weakness makes boss fights a lot faster. Divination is also useful if you aren't already rolling Tengen Kujaku.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Partner just demanded to know why I'm always stabbing butts in these games. :saddowns:

Darth Walrus posted:

Weakness makes boss fights a lot faster.

How dramatic is that anyway? Dumping it on enemies when I use Carnage doesn't seem to do an awful lot. Can't tell if I'm misreading the numbers or they somehow cancel each other.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there a reliable way to farm exlixers?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Partner just demanded to know why I'm always stabbing butts in these games. :saddowns:

How dramatic is that anyway? Dumping it on enemies when I use Carnage doesn't seem to do an awful lot. Can't tell if I'm misreading the numbers or they somehow cancel each other.

Not sure. Have you tried running tests on a tough, respawning enemy like a tengu or one-eyed oni?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are there healing spells btw?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Use the Kodama Blessing that boosts elixir gain.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There are healing talismas, but between that blessing and the Kodama helmet I have over 700 elixirs in stock. :shepface:

And yeah I guess I should just throw up spells on the tough guys. I just get a little over excited and move in for the kill on those assholes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Snak posted:

Valid in general. What mission was this? I know in the regular Iga Escape that one can be made vulnerable right away...

Iga Escape on NG+ has Onis that can't be be overcharged because of the Amrita spikes, as far as I know because I could not get it to work.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's accurate, I just forgot that I had to kill that guy normal the first time and then later when I went back through, for some reason, I had already destroyed the amrita spike.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just offer my spare weapons and armour at the shrine, you get (apparently) random items for it but it seems to go 2 to 1 in favour of free elixirs, had about 50 from just clearing all the junk out of my inventory.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Are there healing spells btw?

There is a scroll, I forget if it's ninja or magic, that gives you a few charges of a weaker hot spring-like regen. It probably isn't fast enough to save you in a boss fight but it can be nice to pop it as you explore a level and keep your health topped off while fighting mooks for a few minutes. I do remember it's locked behind a skill that heals co-op summons first so it does take a few points investment to get to it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I made a set of Genius Strategist garbs and now I'm Just Guarding all day long and doing the super cool Backwave-Tempest counter move

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Finally got the Justice Ministry smith text so I'm going that route now, spin to win!

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
What should I be doing with all these weapons/armor I keep finding? Is it worth keeping anything at lower levels, or should I just dismantle all of it if I'm not using it? (barring exceptions like resist gear)

Soul Match seems to be crazy expensive sometimes, so doesn't seem worth it right now...

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Sell them at the smith for gold, or offer at shrine for amrita. Soul matching doesn't get a whole lot of use on Path of the Samurai, it's more for combining Divine gear to get higher level Divine gear.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I'm swimming in gold though, why sell over dismantle?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Magus42 posted:

I'm swimming in gold though, why sell over dismantle?

Because you don't have as much as you're going to need later in the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have never gotten close to running low on gold, and I'm rocking a whole set of +4 divine gear. Like, I know it goes higher than that, but like I said, I'm not running low...

That said, I also don't need purple crafting mats anymore.

Mostly I don't want to accidentally sell all my crafting mats, and it's impossible to disassemble them by accident...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Soul matching can cost around 150k a pop when you're doing it for divine gear, and that's not even taking reforging into account. poo poo adds up really quickly if you're unlucky with rolls.

I tend to get a stack of 100 or so divine shards then just sell off a ton of revenant gear to fund my blacksmithing. A bit of a shame it's so grindy, but that's how these games go I guess.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nioh has a cool NG+ and stuff but the way loot works makes NG seem like a pointless tutorial.

Like nothing matters aside from collecting the unique locks and some rare items like resurrection scrolls.

It's a bit of a bummer if some reason you want to have multiple characters.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I love loot, but the tendency for every oni, zombie and umbrella to explode into the armor of legendary warriors makes it a bit tiresome.

There aren't nearly enough unique drops or joke items.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I beat it the other day but, honestly, I could do without the random loot, especially without any means to manage it automatically. It just means boring scrolling through menus every few missions. I've actually turned the game off rather than dump more items that night. After like, the third mission it was impossible for a drop to excite me - frankly seeing "elixir" was the best loot feeling in the game and that's pretty sad. Far fewer, fixed-level items that were guaranteed to be interesting would have worked much better, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I beat it the other day but, honestly, I could do without the random loot, especially without any means to manage it automatically. It just means boring scrolling through menus every few missions. I've actually turned the game off rather than dump more items that night. After like, the third mission it was impossible for a drop to excite me - frankly seeing "elixir" was the best loot feeling in the game and that's pretty sad. Far fewer, fixed-level items that were guaranteed to be interesting would have worked much better, but oh well.

It could have been worse, they could have kept durability in.