Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Joshua Graham is the coolest dude with the coolest voice and the coolest gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

It's totally cool to dislike Honest Hearts.

Everybody has a FO:NV dlc they love, one they hate, and then there's Lonesome Road

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Speaking of New Vegas DLC's I think it's kind of a missed opportunity that you couldn't take Roxie out of her lab in Old World Blues, also the Night Stalkers would always go after her - even if you had the animal friend perk so you ended up having to kill them anyways if you wanted to pal around with the robo-dog.
At least her ending with Rex is really cute though.

Boston terrifiers. :3:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Borderlands 2 introduces you to E-tech weapons in the worst way possible - it gives you a quest asking you to find this cool new gun type that is apparently totally awesome and kills people like nothing else, and then gets you to kill 25 people with it... Except the weapon it gives you to accomplish this with is a lovely low accuracy low damage assault rifle in a game where assault rifles are deliberately nerfed, and you invariably have to stop in the middle of a battle, retreat to an ammo vendor, and refill three or four times in order to finish the dumb quest.

I don't know if other E-tech weapons are any good, because that mission expertly trained me to not give a gently caress about them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They mostly suck, but so does the rest of Borderlands 2 so who cares

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

scarycave posted:

Really convenient they just leave everything in a box at the end. Saves you the trouble of having to reverse pickpocket everybody.
Personally I do like the fight ending better though - as long as I can pass the final speech check anyways.

I played lonesome road as my first DLC and umm...yeeeah that one sucked more haha, at least honest hearts had a beautiful (if small) environment.
I'm playing Dead money right now and i'm enjoying it a lot, I've heard people hate the collar transmitters and poison fog but it hasn't caused me too many problems yet.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Call me a contrarian bastard if you wish, but I liked Lonesome Road, and considered Honest Hearts the weakest of the bunch.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i like the part in lnoesome road where you kill the gently caress out of that idiot and take his flag pole

*it is said that the best thing about lonesome road is this drawing:

im pooping! has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Apr 17, 2017

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I still haven't tried lonesome road or dead money because I ended up buying fallout 3 on steam (despite owning the 360 version) and I could never bring myself to go back to a console-game fallout.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

just so you know, a tale of two wastelands mod combines both games into one supergame so you should buy fnv when its on sale

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I played lonesome road as my first DLC and umm...yeeeah that one sucked more haha, at least honest hearts had a beautiful (if small) environment.
I'm playing Dead money right now and i'm enjoying it a lot, I've heard people hate the collar transmitters and poison fog but it hasn't caused me too many problems yet.
My favourite part about Dead Money is when people whine that they can't loot all of the gold from the vault (without exploits) then bitch about it, completely missing the point of the major theme of the DLC. :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Croccers posted:

My favourite part about Dead Money is when people whine that they can't loot all of the gold from the vault (without exploits) then bitch about it, completely missing the point of the major theme of the DLC. :v:

I just cheated. I'm not sure what the moral of the story is there.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

RagnarokAngel posted:

"No mere game developers can stand against the might of the tilda key?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Breetai posted:

Borderlands 2 introduces you to E-tech weapons in the worst way possible - it gives you a quest asking you to find this cool new gun type that is apparently totally awesome and kills people like nothing else, and then gets you to kill 25 people with it... Except the weapon it gives you to accomplish this with is a lovely low accuracy low damage assault rifle in a game where assault rifles are deliberately nerfed, and you invariably have to stop in the middle of a battle, retreat to an ammo vendor, and refill three or four times in order to finish the dumb quest.

I don't know if other E-tech weapons are any good, because that mission expertly trained me to not give a gently caress about them.

I never saw another E-tech weapon besides that one so that kept me from being concerned with them in any regard.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

wtf! Lonesome Road has probably the best looking environments that engine was capable of producing, I was wandering around half the time gaping at the teetering edifices on the horizon, and at the end there's the Divide itself, a huge canyon that a city just fell into. Not to mention the places that open up if you launch the nukes at the end; finally a series about nuclear war actually has some scary nuclear impact zones.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Load all the gold into an exploded corpse and carry a gib out with you.
gently caress morals.
gently caress messages and themes.

I want that gold.

Oh wait, I already have WAY more caps than I can spend.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

2house2fly posted:

wtf! Lonesome Road has probably the best looking environments that engine was capable of producing, I was wandering around half the time gaping at the teetering edifices on the horizon, and at the end there's the Divide itself, a huge canyon that a city just fell into. Not to mention the places that open up if you launch the nukes at the end; finally a series about nuclear war actually has some scary nuclear impact zones.

Lonesome road just felt like a typical fallout enviroment but worse, I was constantly getting stuck on pieces of rubble (or falling through poo poo, or having enemies stuck in walls)

Honest hearts felt like I was playing fallout 1 again with all those big cliffs and and peaks :allears: I'm a sucker for deserts and cliffs.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I've been playing Hollow Knight all weekend and it's a great, lovely game. I just wish it had some kind of consumable item ala the Homeward Bone so I could get all my coin back to a vendor right away. Getting stuck on the Mantis Lords and losing like 1400 Geo to some lovely platforming errors was pretty frustrating, even if making that amount back doesn't really take too long in later areas.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The DLC for New Vegas has a major artistic "FedEx arrow" in that almost every character is either non-human or wearing a mask or helmet to get around the Bethesda Potato Face problem. Even Ulysses' exposed face is actually a static mask, if you mess around with the game files you can remove it and see that he's actually a generic black male NPC beneath it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

im pooping! posted:

just so you know, a tale of two wastelands mod combines both games into one supergame so you should buy fnv when its on sale

Or you could just not play Fallout 3 because it's trash and New Vegas is better in every conceivable way

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Lonesome Road was OK and has cool environments, but the enemies get unreasonably bullet spongy towards the higher levels in a way they aren't in the vanilla Wasteland.

Same goes for DWB although I enjoyed the wackiness in a 'an entire game of this would suck but this is about right' kind of way. Wish I didn't have to use up every single bullet I own on the respawning lobots though. It's basically unplayable for sniper characters although I get why RK did that.

Dead Money I find a bit of a drag unless I've got an Energy/Melee character. The writing is and in glad you get to beat what's left of DDs brains out of the back of his skull.

Honest Hearts has always been my favourite. There's not much to do and it's basically one environment, but I find the setting really appealing so just spend a while chilling on cliffs and watching the rain fall on most playthroughs and I usually retire my Couriers there after a run. I'm OK with people hating it - its not for everyone.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Inco posted:

Or you could just not play Fallout 3 because it's trash and New Vegas is better in every conceivable way

but how can you be a mojave samurai without mothership zeta? that was a rhetorical question btw because you cant

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

im pooping! posted:

but how can you be a mojave samurai without mothership zeta? that was a rhetorical question btw because you cant

have you not heard of modding

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy Mann posted:

The DLC for New Vegas has a major artistic "FedEx arrow" in that almost every character is either non-human or wearing a mask or helmet to get around the Bethesda Potato Face problem. Even Ulysses' exposed face is actually a static mask, if you mess around with the game files you can remove it and see that he's actually a generic black male NPC beneath it.

In Fallout 3's dlc you get on a working tram at one point. The engine can't actually do that though, so what actually happens is you step into a tram that's really a gigantic hat on an extremely tiny man, who runs along a set path at the same time the AI walks your character along at an increased move speed.

quote:

They are both good and FO3 is more fun to explore, in fact. Also New Vegas the city is boring and lovely

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Inco posted:

Fallout 3 has awesome random encounters which nv doesn't have, but nv has fisto.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inco posted:

Hey, let's all pre-emptively agree to not have the same tiresome five+ page derail/circlejerk about NV vs. F3 how about.

Breetai posted:

The only E-Tech weapons I even remember are the dart pistols, which can be decent if you're in need of a good elemental weapon and can put up with the delayed damage and wonky projectiles. I think I might've saw one other E-Tech weapon and it was some crazy four ammo per shot gun so I let it be. This is after like almost two playthroughs of the game.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

or if you have atotw you can play both or either and if you own both anyway and have the option why wouldnt you do it? thats also a rhetorical question and the answer is because it would take forever

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Fallout 3 has awesome random encounters which nv doesn't have, but nv has fisto.

um 3 has fisto

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

fnv fisto is a comical loverbot

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

RBA Starblade posted:

In Fallout 3's dlc you get on a working tram at one point. The engine can't actually do that though, so what actually happens is you step into a tram that's really a gigantic hat on an extremely tiny man, who runs along a set path at the same time the AI walks your character along at an increased move speed.

hahahahahaha

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just beat Oneshot and I underestimated its complexity when I said in the other thread that it didn't lean into Adventure Game Logic; it doesn't do it conventionally. It's pretty clever but the way I install games to another drive kinda broke a bit of the puzzle solving.

It's still a fantastic puzzle game and I'm impressed with its writing.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Action Tortoise posted:

I just beat Oneshot and I underestimated its complexity when I said in the other thread that it didn't lean into Adventure Game Logic; it doesn't do it conventionally. It's pretty clever but the way I install games to another drive kinda broke a bit of the puzzle solving.

It's still a fantastic puzzle game and I'm impressed with its writing.

I've been on the fence about this one, so good to hear it's enjoyable. Without giving spoilers though, when you talk about installing to another drive, would I want to install it on C then?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Wintermutant posted:

I've been on the fence about this one, so good to hear it's enjoyable. Without giving spoilers though, when you talk about installing to another drive, would I want to install it on C then?

It's an RPG maker game so it's not too heavy on storage. Keep it to one drive just to have everything in one spot.

It's real good and I haven't had a game surprise me this hard or consistently before.

My only complaint is that the game advises you to play it on windowed mode but the display is locked on a really tiny resolution on my screen.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Action Tortoise posted:

It's an RPG maker game so it's not too heavy on storage. Keep it to one drive just to have everything in one spot.

It's real good and I haven't had a game surprise me this hard or consistently before.

My only complaint is that the game advises you to play it on windowed mode but the display is locked on a really tiny resolution on my screen.

Some of the puzzles more or less require windowed mode to work (or a great, great deal of trial and error). I did once almost delete all my progress (since I know where %appdata% is) rather than what the game actually expects you to do, though.

edited to put that spoiler box, but it's as abstract as I could make it

bookkeeper has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Apr 18, 2017

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Team Kirby Clash Deluxe got released not even a week ago as a free promotional (?) game for Kirby's 20th anniversary. Neat, cool, Kirby games are generally always fun when you're playing as a non-gimmick Kirby that isn't a ball or something. And I get to have a Kirby game on my 3DS too for no cost to myself. Bonus!

So I start playing the game and man what a let down. For one, the drat thing's a 'Free-to-start' game- which is a new term for me- and has microtransactions and a number of points you have to keep high enough to continue playing the game. (If you don't have enough Vigor for a mission, you can't do it, unless you pay more currency to refill it!) All the microtransactions are to buy more in-game money, and the only way to get more of it besides missions is to just sit and wait 12 hours for your chance to get another five apples. But hey, if you buy 100 apples the tree will get bigger and give you more apples next harvest! I've only made it to unlocking rank 6 weapons and armor in the shop and everything at that point costs 50 apples. So that's 5 days to buy an item from zero. And so much of the game takes your money. Unlocking Ordeals to continue the game, unlocking extra missions, adding another 30 seconds in fights- they all give you two and a half minutes- refilling your vigor, buying weapons, armor and support items, bleh.

I really wish it was just a simple little game to blow through in a couple hours than have all this obnoxious microtransaction stuff in the way.

As a counterpoint, nintendo does something with their microtransactions that I wish other free games would do.

They have a 'real price' pegged for the game, usually about 20-30 dollars. Once you spend that amount on cash shop items, the game just goes "alright, you've bought the game" and gives you infinite energy/cash shop money/whatever else. That's why they label them as 'free to start' I think, is that they're trying to get around the pretense of it being an actual free game.

I'd much prefer that to most other freemium games where spending 50-100 dollars on microtransactions is still no guarentee that you won't run up against further paywalls.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Spinning Robo posted:

As a counterpoint, nintendo does something with their microtransactions that I wish other free games would do.

They have a 'real price' pegged for the game, usually about 20-30 dollars. Once you spend that amount on cash shop items, the game just goes "alright, you've bought the game" and gives you infinite energy/cash shop money/whatever else. That's why they label them as 'free to start' I think, is that they're trying to get around the pretense of it being an actual free game.

I'd much prefer that to most other freemium games where spending 50-100 dollars on microtransactions is still no guarentee that you won't run up against further paywalls.

Wow that's... a shockingly decent way to handle that kind of thing. Kind of surprised I haven't heard of it before now, you'd think it would be more of a selling point.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Spinning Robo posted:

Nintendo freemium games also don't seem to be quite as bullshit as others, I think. I've been playing the Fire Emblem mobile app and they throw free items at you so fast that I've never even had to think about spending real money. Same with Pokemon Shuffle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Try this program

http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/ResizeEnable/

Works on some things, but not others (unfortunately, 7th stand user isn't resizeable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tunicate posted:

Try this program

http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/ResizeEnable/

Works on some things, but not others (unfortunately, 7th stand user isn't resizeable)

thanks, but i beat it already. maybe someone else who plays the game could try it out.

the game will window out when you need to root around your drive.