Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was originally a bit skeptical based on the trailer but while I can see how someone would be disappointed by the premiere, in the end thought it was pretty good. They had to do a lot of work to transition from last year when Selina was still the president, so I think it's understandable that some time had to be dedicate to setting up new roles for everyone. Now that this is done, IMO the show has great potential for the rest of the season, even if the first episode wasn't the best ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm inclined to just wait a week or two and give it a chance to get the setup out of the way and then judge it for what comes after. Which is why I'll probably just binge them at the end of April and then decide if I like where they've gone.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought it was hilarious. I think it's impossible for this show to not be good.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah, I thought it was great. I like that it's taking a different sort of route, mixed up the characters some. But this is probably the strongest ensemble comedy cast on TV so I'd watch them do anything. Excited for the season. Glad it's back.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

Jonah's website is fantastic.

Why does it have a long list of Marine Le Pen's tweets on the sidebar?

EDIT: As I type this I realise that Jonah has a new skinhead look...

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

kanonvandekempen posted:

Why does it have a long list of Marine Le Pen's tweets on the sidebar?

EDIT: As I type this I realise that Jonah has a new skinhead look...

He follows an interesting set of people:

@PUA_DATING_TIPS ‏
@GWARofficial ‏
@MissAmericaOrg ‏
@MLP_officiel ‏
@chrisbrown ‏
@neilstrauss ‏(Author of The Truth, The Dirt, The Game, and other books beginning with The.)
and worst of all, @BatmanvSuperman ‏

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

He follows an interesting set of people:

@PUA_DATING_TIPS ‏
@GWARofficial ‏
@MissAmericaOrg ‏
@MLP_officiel ‏
@chrisbrown ‏
@neilstrauss ‏(Author of The Truth, The Dirt, The Game, and other books beginning with The.)
and worst of all, @BatmanvSuperman ‏

Also Killswitch Engage and Kid Rock

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also Killswitch Engage and Kid Rock

Jonad is the worst. Also because he took down "Working Man".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Didn't really feel the love, hope it gets better. The scenes with Dan and the Cloud Botherer were the best.

I agree with whoever said that Trump kinda broke the show. Satire works when it's an exaggeration of reality. It's no longer satire or funny when you are just doing a documentation on modern day post-Trump politics and rehashing the news.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Didn't really feel the love, hope it gets better. The scenes with Dan and the Cloud Botherer were the best.

I agree with whoever said that Trump kinda broke the show. Satire works when it's an exaggeration of reality. It's no longer satire or funny when you are just doing a documentation on modern day post-Trump politics and rehashing the news.

If they were still in the WH I'd agree but I think getting out of there will let the writers keep things fresh with the same cast of characters. I really liked this ep but I can see how some people wouldn't; they needed to establish what all the characters have been up to before getting into the rest of the season.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So as mentioned, although I was concerned a bit about Trump ruining everything, I thought it wasn't really the case the way they went this season. That said...

quote:

...the writers did encounter one situation where a joke was just too similar to a topic in the news, and it had to do with a “golden shower.”

Indeed, they had planned to lob something pee-related toward (who else?) punching bag Jonah Ryan, but then came the unconfirmed dossier that alleged Donald Trump hired prostitutes to pee on a bed in a Moscow hotel room. “We hadn’t filmed it yet, and we realized, ‘Oh, we need to change that‘ [because of the Trump-Russia dossier],” Mandel said. “Who knew we would literally have to change a Veep golden showers joke because of the real president of the United States of America? It doesn’t get any weirder than that.”
:laffo:

http://www.avclub.com/article/veep-had-cut-golden-shower-joke-being-too-politica-253658

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah, I thought it was great. I like that it's taking a different sort of route, mixed up the characters some. But this is probably the strongest ensemble comedy cast on TV so I'd watch them do anything. Excited for the season. Glad it's back.

:same:

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I finally sat down and watched it. Not bad, but not that great either. I'll keep watching till they :regd08:.

Bald Jonah is the best. And they put his doppelganger in this episode with Paul Scheer as the CBS dude.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Everyone's reaction to Selina saying she wanted to run again was perfect. Enjoyed the first episode and am exciting for the rest of the season. Having a year gap between seasons was great since now we have hilarious bits like Selina's daughter in law.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Premiere was kind of depressing to me. Not because of any Trump stuff, I think I just still have a bad taste in my mouth from how last season ended. While it's true that the show has always consisted primarily of terrible people being terrible to each other and suffering the consequences, often to fantastic effect, there's something I don't like about the characters I'm invested in getting kicked around by other terrible people I'm not invested in. It's like when Always Sunny would do storylines involving Dennis' divorce: there are some good jokes in there that make me laugh, but the setup is too much of a bummer for me to really enjoy it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Wow! What tha gently caress. I just learned that Julia Louis-Dreyfus owns a fortune worth 3.4 BILLION dollars. And yet she entertains us by acting in this show

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Wow! What tha gently caress. I just learned that Julia Louis-Dreyfus owns a fortune worth 3.4 BILLION dollars. And yet she entertains us by acting in this show

Well, not exactly.
Her father, who passed away last year, owned that much. Presumably he inherited some money to his other daughters and relatives. But yeah, she's probably a billionaire.
Or maybe it will turn out that all the money went straight to Julia's sons.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Even without her family's money she had a starring role on one of the most successful sitcoms in history. I'm sure she has made a shitload of money from that.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I didn't see Sue in the first episode. Is she not coming back for this season?

I thought the episode was ok for am intro to the season, establishing where everyone is, and what Selina's current status and frame of mind is. Most of the team seem that won't stay where they are now for long... Mike is already back.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I think it was implied at the end of last season that Sue stayed on to work with the Montez administration.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

WrightOfWay posted:

Even without her family's money she had a starring role on one of the most successful sitcoms in history. I'm sure she has made a shitload of money from that.

Her net worth before inheritance was $200 million

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
My biggest issues with the premiere was that why would her family be upset if she tries to run for president again? The party would shoot that poo poo down immediately.

Also Uber of all companies would not give a gently caress about Ben being non-PC.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I think in addition to her running for president (and preparing for that) being terribly awful times for everyone else, they also mention something along the lines that Selina was in a mental institution for a while (recently) in that dialogue she has with her daughter at her office about "the spa".

So I guess they also worry for her mental state and well being?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

WrightOfWay posted:

I think she is or was the second richest woman in television after Oprah. We're just very lucky she chooses to carry on with VEEP!

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

AbstractNapper posted:

I didn't see Sue in the first episode. Is she not coming back for this season?

I thought the episode was ok for am intro to the season, establishing where everyone is, and what Selina's current status and frame of mind is. Most of the team seem that won't stay where they are now for long... Mike is already back.

Per Sepinwall, Sufe Bradshaw had to take the season off due to a personal matter, so we don’t get to see where Sue landed.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

"Ms. Hughes isn't here she's probably hanging from the rafters somewhere"

Also, you know now they've introduced an old-rear end former president that we're getting a presidential funeral sometime this season.

"nobody in congress cares about Ethics"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this episode is so spectacularly more funny than last weeks god bless america

Jonah Ryan is the king of the first date

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 24, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"You know one time I tried hitting on a girl in a laundromat?? For someone with broken english, she was real uppity"

Oh my god Jonah :allears:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"The First Chubby" is the latest in a long series of great nicknames/insults in Veep history.

Also, I'm now super excited about next week. Gimme Minna Hockanen once a season for the rest of the series and I'll be very happy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"I am odious to those across all colors of the spectrum"

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Dan's destruction of Jonah's third date was beautiful.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

SoupyTwist posted:

Also Uber of all companies would not give a gently caress about Ben being non-PC.

Yeah that scene completely took me out of it. I'm pretty sure I've heard worse things in the elevators at Uber HQ.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Okay... I'm not even finished with it yet, but this is a loving hilarious episode. Season redeemed.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
..And America can not forget that!
- 'Never Forget!' Wait sorry that was for the Holocaust, totally forgot."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was this whole Sherman Tanz thing in the last season? They're talking about it like it happened when she was president but I don't remember it at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Was this whole Sherman Tanz thing in the last season? They're talking about it like it happened when she was president but I don't remember it at all.

They said at some point it was a last-minute pardon before she left office. Strongly implying that Andrew got paid for it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Andrew is just an amazing character.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
On the topic of Trump presidency vs. veep/political satire:

creator of /r/theredpill revealed to be republican lawmaker from New Hampshire

I'm not sure if Jonah can beat that

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Tony fuckin Hale

"The World's Bitchiest Mime." jesus christ I hope one day after the show is over they publish all the scripts in a giant compendium it'd be the single funniest thing ever published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This is still the funniest show on tv. Can't wait to see where the rest of the season goes. Tonight I realized I now think of Tony Hale more as Gary than Buster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CYJDCnoK_8

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 28, 2017

• Locked thread