Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
You can also ask a friend to proxy vote for you.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-vote-proxy

But you need friends for that, so I guess a postal vote is the best option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

GaussianCopula posted:

Those 60billion are just the open bills, they don't buy you anything. The idea that you get access to the single market, especially for (financial) services, without free movement is absurd.

If they don't buy anything then it doesn't make much sense to pay them?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Those 60billion are just the open bills, they don't buy you anything. The idea that you get access to the single market, especially for (financial) services, without free movement is absurd.
Yo you're a vile nazi oval office

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pissflaps posted:

If you pay for Netflix on a credit card, and cancel it later, you still need to pay off the credit card even if you cancel Netflix.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

namaste faggots posted:

So who do i vote for to prevent brexit? I'll be casting an absentee ballot in Hammersmith and Fulham.

Libdems, because if Libdems win then the only people left for them to sell out to are in Brussels.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

If you pay for Netflix on a credit card, and cancel it later, you still need to pay off the credit card even if you cancel Netflix.

The nations finances are not a credit card.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GaussianCopula posted:

Can you gently caress off already you odious Nazi shite?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

minema posted:

I live in a marginal seat for Labour, what is the best way to get involved and try to make some sort of difference this election?

Assuming you want to make a difference in favour of Labour (:) ), here is a good place to start:

http://www.labour.org.uk/volunteering

This link will direct you to campaigning events near you:

https://events.labour.org.uk/

That's not always complete, but once you get on your local party's mailing list, you should be set.

If you need some more stuff, even if you don't care about Momentum, they typically have some pretty handy leaflets etc. which you can find here http://www.peoplesmomentum.com also an events calendar which is a good place to find local Labour ones missing off the main party site.

If you become a Labour member, there's a membersnet site with other election material etc. Feel free to just rock up to a door knocking with no preparation though (pen might be handy) - the organisers will sort you out and pair you with someone more experienced.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pissflaps posted:

Those 60billion consist mostly of obligations the UK has entered during their EU membership (e.g. pensions for EU civil servants) and accepting this is a precondition by the EU to even start talks about a post-Brexit relationship. I guess you could argue that it buys you these talks.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zephro posted:

I think every demand Europe makes, reasonable or otherwise, is going to be portrayed by the Brexit morons and most of the press as "perfidious Eurocrats want to punish Britane, this just proves we were right to leave!"

For eg:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/792589/Brexit-European-Medicines-Agency-European-Banking-Agency-London-Brussels-EU/
no poo poo

We're in the stupid emotional part of Brexit. Few months and hopefully it'll calm down.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

The nations finances are not a credit card.

It is the same principle, though; the "Brexit bill" is just our liabilities that we haven't paid off yet.

We can refuse to pay it off, but it'd junk our bond ratings.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Those 60billion consist mostly of obligations the UK has entered during their EU membership (e.g. pensions for EU civil servants) and accepting this is a precondition by the EU to even start talks about a post-Brexit relationship. I guess you could argue that it buys you these talks.
60.... 60 billion.... sounds like 6 million, a number which you probably like a lot!!! because you're a loving nazi twat! :classiclol:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

GaussianCopula posted:

I think the UK will pay the EU bill but it'll get a lot more than talk in return. There will be compromise on both sides. Cooler heads than yours will prevail.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

We can refuse to pay it off, but it'd junk our bond ratings.

This is silly. We don't borrow off the EU. A squabble over whether the UK has ongoing financial commitments to a trading block following its departure won't affect credit ratings.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pissflaps posted:

This is silly. We don't borrow off the EU. A squabble over whether the UK has ongoing financial commitments to a trading block following its departure won't affect credit ratings.

Falling back on WTO rules for the trade with your most important trading partners on the other hand will do exactly that.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

GaussianCopula posted:

Falling back on WTO rules for the trade with your most important trading partners on the other hand will do exactly that.

Your aggressive rhetoric is understandable but like I said, I think compromise will win the day.

Providing your leaders can resist their more base Teutonic leanings, that is.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Oberleutnant posted:

60.... 60 billion.... sounds like 6 million, a number which you probably like a lot!!! because you're a loving nazi twat! :classiclol:

gc may be a oval office but your schtick is getting old

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

blowfish posted:

Nah

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

Doch but that's ganz unlikely.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Zephro posted:

I think every demand Europe makes, reasonable or otherwise, is going to be portrayed by the Brexit morons and most of the press as "perfidious Eurocrats want to punish Britane, this just proves we were right to leave!"

For eg:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/792589/Brexit-European-Medicines-Agency-European-Banking-Agency-London-Brussels-EU/

Do you know, I actually thought that was quite an even handed article considering it was the Express.

Setting out how the government is shooting themselves in the foot with their negotiating strategy, and staying that the departure was 'inevitable' due to Brexit. Apart from the 'punishment' headline of course.

quote:

Diplomats agreed with the European Commission’s decision to block any talks about a future comprehensive trade deal until the UK accepts its £60bn divorce bill and comes to a settlement on the rights of EU citizens.

Mrs May hoped hardline European council guidelines ruling out a trade deal within two years would have been toned during consultation with the member states.

But EU sources claimed Britain’s aggressive approach to the talks, including threats of becoming a low-tax, low-regulation state unless it was given a good deal, had backfired.

One Brussels insider told the Observer: “However realistic the threats were - or not - they were noticed.

“The future prosperity of the single market was challenged. That had an impact – it pushed people together.”

Another senior diplomat said any initial sympathy with Britain had fallen away in many capitals, because of the Goverment’s approach.

He said: “Of course, we want to protect trade with Britain, but maintaining the single market, keeping trade flowing there, is the priority, and so we will work through Michel Barnier.

“Britain used to be pragmatic. That doesn’t seem to be the case any more and we need to protect our interests.”

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
For a guy who flipped out about someone using the term "quisling" you seem very happy to bring up the dim and distant past.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

blowfish posted:

No it isn't.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It's a financial obligation, and failing to pay it (either through inability or deliberately) is an automatic downgrade to junk bond status.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Tories well outperforming Labour in Scotland..

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/854308909129105408

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

blowfish posted:

Making Nazis unwelcome is a good thing that never gets old.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

It's a financial obligation, and failing to pay it (either through inability or deliberately) is an automatic downgrade to junk bond status.

Seems unlikely - any country could conjure up a 'financial obligation' in order to gently caress another's credit rating?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TinTower posted:

Hey remember all those times the UK was downgraded to junk bond status because of pensions being put off by some years or programmes being curtailed, which is more or less the same thing?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

jBrereton posted:

For a guy who flipped out about someone using the term "quisling" you seem very happy to bring up the dim and distant past.

I am perfectly happy about people using the term where it actually applies. GC is a nazi. Corbyn is not a Quisling for voting for a loving general election. Go gently caress yourself.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gaussian is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AhGYo9TExU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/AtticusBakelite/status/854316394829230080

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

TheRat posted:

I am perfectly happy about people using the term where it actually applies. GC is a nazi. Corbyn is not a Quisling for voting for a loving general election. Go gently caress yourself.

I'm out the loop. Why is GC a nazi?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not terribly surprising given its newfound love of liberals with a different coat of paint.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blowfish posted:

Do you know what will never get old? All the kids that GC gleefully sees die so his taxes don't go up.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Pissflaps posted:

Seems unlikely - any country could conjure up a 'financial obligation' in order to gently caress another's credit rating?

a surprise SCOTUS decision sent the Argentinean bond market haywire, so sorta, yea

this is contingent on the involved counties being major credit markets to begin with. but that is true in this case.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Private Eye posted:

A bunch of horible poo poo he posted in europol back when the refugee crisis was headline news iirc

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Private Eye posted:

Mostly because of his opinions and political leanings.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I feel like Labour must oppose the new GE because what the gently caress kind of system do we have where if you can call a snap election halfway through because your polling numbers look better now?

Yes I know the media will poo poo on them but why step into the ring for a fight that is only going to give fresh poll numbers for the media to wave around and an increased Tory majority, even if the Lib Dems take a bigger %? Impossible to say if Labour would be in a better place in three years and will probably be in a better place after doing badly in a GE and having five years to rebuild but it's a pretty safe bet the Tories will be in a worse place in 2020 with the same slim majority and Brexit hanging over the election. The thread is right Labour will take a media and soundbite thrashing for making a tactical choice because we're all populist idiots these days where the thinking is on the level of calling someone a chicken in the playground but doing something like a Vote of No Confidence to force one would look surely look pretty bad.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 18, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Private Eye posted:

It's because he's a nazi.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAj5WlBdrx4&t=90s

I refer you to the right honourable lady walking away from the camera; ootside the Barra's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
So is there any chance your electorate doesn't balls this up like every decision they've been allowed to make in the last couple years?

• Locked thread