Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

You've said the UK will get an immediate 50% reduction in the amount of cash owed and agreed that there will be compromise. You've not disagreed with anything I said.

If you weren't so commited to your 800 posts/day routine, you might actually be able to take the time to understand what you're replying to

quote:

Give the boring whitenoise personal attacks a rest for a while mate - there's an election on.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

spectralent posted:

If:

- The press forces the leaders to have debates,

Well, there is that slight media issue of 75% misrepresentation of Corbyn and twice as much airtime given to his critics on the BBC...

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...s-a7144381.html
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jeremy-corbyn-media-bias-labour-party-media-reform-coalition-birkbeck-a7163706.html

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

How would we manage without professional dole hasslers in every jobcenter.

Please rise, for our new national anthem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BvUGiG893U

(this is actually a real thing that exists unironically)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

In reality, the withdrawal agreement will just be a sheet of A4 with "gently caress the poors" in size 72, and Corbyn will um and ah for a minute before instituting a three-line whip on the Bill (with himself and Abbott suffering migraines as soon as the division bell rings).

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TinTower posted:

In reality, the withdrawal agreement will just be a sheet of A4 with "gently caress the poors" in size 72, and Corbyn will um and ah for a minute before instituting a three-line whip on the Bill (with himself and Abbott suffering migraines as soon as the division bell rings).

What reason will the libdems give to vote for it? After spending the entire election swearing to block it, I mean.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the Rt. Hon. Tub of Lard MP does better than the other debate participants can it be prime minister?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

It's a pretty piss poor defence in that it still allows the incumbent government to pick the most favorable time for them.

the notion of a "most favourable time" that is intrinsically illegitimate begs the question. What's the underlying Platonic ideal of public support being proposed here?

the incumbent majority can do many things. it can pass and repeal laws, it can make and unmake ministries, it can appoint governments amongst themselves. All of these impact favourability. What makes the timing of the GE within the five years so special?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Carecat posted:

Well, there is that slight media issue of 75% misrepresentation of Corbyn and twice as much airtime given to his critics on the BBC...

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...s-a7144381.html
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jeremy-corbyn-media-bias-labour-party-media-reform-coalition-birkbeck-a7163706.html

Yeah, but the leaders debates are just shown directly. Unless they do a real editing hackjob on them I guess.

I think a leader's debate is one of the small amounts of things that would go well for Corbyn in the election, since he's generally good at being forceful and rhetorically strong in debate, probably because he's not got a script to ignore and can react to stuff as it comes (though there is the small issue that he appears to also ignore his factsheet. It generally doesn't seem to show, though).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

TheRat posted:

What reason will the libdems give to vote for it? After spending the entire election swearing to block it, I mean.

The Lib Dems voted against Article 50, friend.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

nothing to seehere posted:

Oh no, are we going to have bring a bunch of services back into the public sector instead of outsourcing them? What a shame.
OK here's a more useful question: who takes over for what they're doing for big events if they're run out of town? (regardless of whether you think that's a good idea or not, because I agree they have got too big)

The police? Some kind of new British govt. security service? Local security firms which are "rough and ready" to say the least?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TinTower posted:

The Lib Dems voted against Article 50, friend.
He was probably talking about the other times they lied.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ronya posted:

the notion of a "most favourable time" that is intrinsically illegitimate begs the question

the incumbent majority can do many things. it can pass and repeal laws, it can make and unmake ministries, it can appoint governments amongst themselves. All of these impact favourability. What makes the timing of the GE within the five years so special?

You're familiar with the concept of a khaki election, which is to say calling one at the time the government does a particularly popular thing which overshadows its performance otherwise?

It would be like having inspections at work except you get to say when you would like it to happen and given five years leeway.

Mandatory timings are not ideal either but they're substantially better than just "call an election whenever you like, especially if you don't like the result of the last one"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

He was probably talking about the other times they lied.

Actually I was asking about the future, but this works too.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Ewan posted:

I've recently changed my voting address back to my Mum's for various reasons. She's also recently (ish) moved - just realised my local MP is now loving Gove.

Hi this thread is moving super fast what with everything being on fire, but if you want to get involved with Labour and do some canvassing in one of the safest Tory seats ever, drop me a PM

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Seeing as they voted against Article 50, I doubt they'd vote for any withdrawal agreement. Especially if it doesn't come with an enabling referendum.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/capx/status/854364327004057600

Fag-packet calculation gives this a Tory majority of about 150.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If you weren't so commited to your 800 posts/day routine, you might actually be able to take the time to understand what you're replying t

I do understand. I said there'd be more than talk. You said there would be a 50%+ reduction in the UK's cash commitments to the EU.

We are in agreement.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Have some Politico analysis of the snap election and the timings re: Brexit:

quote:

Theresa May throws Brussels a curveball

Prime Minister Theresa May’s decision to call a snap U.K. election in June robs the EU of its clearest and most important advantage in the fast-approaching Brexit negotiations: time.

While Brexit was a body blow to Brussels, one thing that has worked in the EU’s favor virtually from the moment the results of last year’s referendum became clear is the timetable: London was under pressure to formally trigger Article 50, a process that ultimately took nine months; and the U.K. faces a cliff edge if a withdrawal agreement can’t be concluded within a two-year deadline.

On top of that, May — who was appointed prime minister by her fellow Conservatives after David Cameron’s resignation — had been facing the prospect of a national election in May 2020, which would have been just 15 months after the U.K.’s scheduled withdrawal from the EU, a point at which the pain of Brexit is likely to be felt far more acutely than any gain.

An early U.K. election would reconfigure the calendar and eliminate much of the Brussels edge. A big victory for the Tories, which seems likely, would allow May to enter the negotiations flexing her muscles with a real political mandate.

Holding a June vote would push the next U.K. election to 2022, giving May breathing room for a transition period to ease Britain out of the EU and vastly diminishing the risk of a cliff-edge scenario. It would also grant her government crucial time to negotiate a trade deal with the bloc — all before voters get another chance to express their views at the ballot box.

Brussels, which seemed content to twiddle its thumbs and keep Britain paying into the EU budget for as long as possible, is now the side facing greater political uncertainty. European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and European Council President Donald Tusk both end their terms in 2019, meaning the late stages of the Brexit negotiations could be complicated by the battles over who will succeed them. At that point, May and her Tories would be less than halfway through their five-year term.

The European Commission’s chief spokesman Margaritis Schinas tried Tuesday to play down May’s announcement, saying: “There are elections everywhere; it’s natural … Elections are good. We are in favor — generally.”

“Generally” may be an overstatement.

From the Brexit referendum last June to an Italian referendum in December that led to the resignation of Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, to a much-criticized referendum over the weekend in Turkey, the EU has often found elections over the past 12 months to be rather nettlesome. It already faces the two-round election in France this spring and federal elections in Germany in September.

If the U.K. holds a general election in June, Brussels can only lose.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

Seeing as they voted against Article 50

apart from the 25% of MPs who didn't

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Corbs mate, I know you read this thread, just grab this vid and stick it on loop forever, cheers.

https://my.mixtape.moe/neqllx.webm

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

A little more context to these seat forecasts of doom:

With UKIPs mission accomplished the awful, no good, terrible British public are returning to apathy or back to Conservatives which will net them even more seats while Labour has only turned off 5% more than the SNP.

God knows how the Lib Dems have become even more of a disappointment to their voters since 2015 though.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

namesake posted:

With UKIPs mission accomplished the awful, no good, terrible British public are returning to apathy or back to Conservatives which will net them even more seats while Labour has only turned off 5% more than the SNP.

God knows how the Lib Dems have become even more of a disappointment to their voters since 2015 though.

Lmao at that libdem graph

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TinTower posted:

He'll eventually come to the conclusion that "gently caress the poors" is in fact a proper pro-worker stance because even the Tories agree that the poors do not have jobs otherwise they would not be poor therefore "gently caress the poors" is also the new motto of Labour

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

namesake posted:

Cleggo the Clown waddled off with all their charisma and left a permanently crying haunted puppet to man the wheel. But not man it in a gay way because he thinks the gays are icky.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My constituency's tactical vote is "just vote whoever" because I've got David "voted for the train" lidlington

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

He'll eventually come to the conclusion that "gently caress the poors" is in fact a proper pro-worker stance because even the Tories agree that the poors do not have jobs otherwise they would not be poor therefore "gently caress the poors" is also the new motto of Labour

This is ridiculous given the one thing that Corbyn does staunchly is refuse to budge from his worldview, popular opinion be damned.

Also hilarious that the party who propped up the Tories for five years and wanted another five is the one giving Corbyn poo poo about loving the poor.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

You're familiar with the concept of a khaki election, which is to say calling one at the time the government does a particularly popular thing which overshadows its performance otherwise?

It would be like having inspections at work except you get to say when you would like it to happen and given five years leeway.

But it's not like having inspections at work - the point is to yield a mandate to govern, not obtain a signoff slip. There are no objective standards here save the voter's, and any talk about 'performance' presumes the conclusion. The popularity of a government during a 'khaki election' is not less real than the popularity of a government pursuing any other initiative.

The UK left thinks in terms of the khaki metaphor because old grudges die hard, but the argument is no less bullshit when advanced by the right-wing enraged that a left-wing government might do things that are popular in the short-term.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Do any of the candidates in the upcoming general election promise to make anime real?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

The UK left thinks in terms of the khaki metaphor because old grudges die hard, but the argument is no less bullshit when advanced by the right-wing enraged that a left-wing government might do things that are popular in the short-term.

Being fair the right-wing are enraged whenever a poor person survives a day longer.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Do any of the candidates in the upcoming general election promise to make anime real?

Anime is real, I can buy it on dvd

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

This is ridiculous given the one thing that Corbyn does staunchly is refuse to budge from his worldview, popular opinion be damned.

He was (allegedly) campaigning for Remain while Leave leaflets quoted him at length.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Also hilarious that the party who propped up the Tories for five years and wanted another five is the one giving Corbyn poo poo about loving the poor.
The Labour party is more important than Corbyn's staunchly held values. Hopefully it can piece itself back together after this election, because we need it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tesseraction posted:

It's not a change in worldview, just different langu- gently caress, different languages are taking jobs away from British workers.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

Anime is real in the show Re: Creators.

Mission accomplished.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ronya posted:

But it's not like having inspections at work - the point is to yield a mandate to govern, not obtain a signoff slip. There are no objective standards here save the voter's, and any talk about 'performance' presumes the conclusion. The popularity of a government during a 'khaki election' is not less real than the popularity of a government pursuing any other initiative.

A government that can do shite except for one thing at which point it calls an election, is worse than a government that is forced to do well as consistently as possible because it has no control over when there is an election. Ideally I would suggest that elections should be called at random within 3-6 years of the last, with the government having no foreknowledge or control except for a deference veto requiring a two thirds majority in parliament, for times of emergency.

What is an election if not a submission to the public to decide your suitability to govern, or continue governing? And what is democracy if not the hope that a collective of voters can decide more reliably what is objectively good for them, than a limited few.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 18, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

Who are 'FTI consulting'?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

jBrereton posted:

The Labour party is more important than Corbyn's staunchly held values. Hopefully it can piece itself back together after this election, because we need it.

We do, indeed, need an alternative to tory rule. "Tories but friendlier" is not going to be that alternative.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

He was (allegedly) campaigning for Remain while Leave leaflets quoted him at length.

Ah, allegedly.

Is this like how any promise a Lib Dem makes shortly becomes alleged?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
For gently caress's sake people, please vote Labour. Lib Dems are not going to stop Brexit, don't be deluded, they're just minoritories.

Also, if this future dystopia of extraterritorial megacorps doesn't include Shadowrun cyber-implants and decking into cyberspace I'm going to be so pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

jBrereton posted:

What if they're the only providers large enough?

I mean G4S survived the whole olympics gently caress up largely because they are the only big players in the field, after all.

There was something in the news recently about outsourcing guard services to private companies at the sub base in faslane, which is pretty terrifying.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/security-concerns-faslane-after-plans-9990941

E: also my MP is Corbyn with effectively no alternatives

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 18, 2017

• Locked thread