Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
For some reason cocker spaniels always look to me like they're actually the puppies of a much larger breed. Maybe it's the big feet?

I dog-sat for a friend over the weekend. I was expecting it to be rough, because my dog can be a bully, but they worked things out. After a few hours of being growled at, he managed to convince her he accepted her dominance, and all was good. This morning she didn't even object when he jumped on my lap and cuddled.

Begging from my kid:

Hanging out on the couch together:

Bonus pic of Beauty being super suspicious of the seder table last week:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They're mostly fluff but yeah they are proportionally a bit large. iirc they're descended from a larger Spanish Spaniel breed. Spaniel I think I read literally meaning "of Spain" or something. The British stole them at some point, made their own smaller version for whatever hunting reasons.

If you're ever bored on google just start looking into the history of dog breeds. Really blows my mind how many breeds have/had specific purposes, and how a lot of them maintain a lot of the traits. After all, training a hunting dog was often improving these traits, amongst other things. The obvious ones are things like herding, etc.

"Pointer" dogs do the point when identifying wildlife.

Then there's backing or honoring

quote:

Backing is simply one dog honoring another dog’s point. A true back doesn’t involve scent; rather it’s strictly by sight. Like the ideal point, the ideal back isn’t too far away or too close. A dog should back so it doesn’t inadvertently flush the birds. Finally, the backing dog should to be close enough to the action so it can mark where the birds fly or find dead birds if necessary.

So some dogs simply "flush" birds, some are specifically for low brush game (cocker etc), some retrieve, some flush and retrieve, some simply point. poo poo is rad as gently caress. Flushing with nets goes back to 1st century Rome I think I read. Laying out a net then flushing with a dog to catch the game. Also at some point I think they shot the net out with a crossbow. Cockers or at least some form of spaniel came across on the Mayflower.

I ran into a Portuguese water dog. The owner was telling me that they would dive and fetch fishing nets. I was a bit incredulous so I looked it up.

Dog is the equivalent of a hunting dog on boats. poo poo is rad af. They could fetch nets, dropped equipment, flush fish, and courier messages between ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOPLciCGPPc

ok i'm done :tipshat:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Happy after an afternoon of fetch

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I agree, dogs own.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Jehde posted:

I agree, dogs own.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Jehde posted:

I agree, dogs own.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If dogs own, how can you own a dog?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You don't own a dog, they're on lease. From some better, fairer, kinder place than this dull, cruel world.

When dogs pass on, they go back. And they bark so you can follow - the green, gentle lands. Sunlit and warm, with soft breezes and long grass. Long rivers, steady currents, crisp waters. Old forests to explore, the scent of flowers and fallen leaves on the wind.

That is where dogs come from.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

WarpedNaba posted:

You don't own a dog, they're on lease. From some better, fairer, kinder place than this dull, cruel world.

When dogs pass on, they go back. And they bark so you can follow - the green, gentle lands. Sunlit and warm, with soft breezes and long grass. Long rivers, steady currents, crisp waters. Old forests to explore, the scent of flowers and fallen leaves on the wind.

That is where dogs come from.

They sent a poet

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I like this way of putting it:

*God invents dogs*
"Oh hey, these turned out great. I'm gonna want these all back at some point."

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I like this way of putting it:

*God invents dogs*
"Oh hey, these turned out great. I'm gonna want these all back at some point."

:(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Some people believe if a dog dies it was dying for you, saving you from something. My friend's dad was dying when he lived in his home country 3rd world. Said there was a black dog by his side in the room that immediately got sick and died, and he got better. Now he won't own a black dog and steers clear of them. Yeah yeah superstitious Asian stuff but interesting to think about

didn't the pope say we'd see our furry friends again

Sad stuff have a pic

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yesterday at the dog park. Hi Norad!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Hi Norad!

that other guy: jesus christ fix your avatar

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I haven't taken Frank to Cheyenne Mountain yet (the mountain Norad is in). They don't let dogs hike out there because bears and cougars or something. :(

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I said the W word

Off we go!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

at the date posted:

that other guy: jesus christ fix your avatar

That's N4D - I know, I did a double-take.

If anybody's got some sweet skrilla, hook him up with a dogge av stat - that bizarre anime is not befitting someone with the Nostalgia4Dogges name, and pixelated dongos were actually better than this.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

didn't the pope say we'd see our furry friends again

I don't know about your dogs but all the ones I know are going to a great and wonderful afterlife.

I am certainly not.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Genocide Tendency posted:

I don't know about your dogs but all the ones I know are going to a great and wonderful afterlife.

I am certainly not.
I feel like there's gotta be some kind of visitation policy for situations like this.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
"When a grieving little boy looked up at Pope Francis with puppy dog eyes and told the pontiff he was sad over his dog dying, father of the Roman Catholic Church didn’t hesitate to tell the child his companion would be awaiting him in heaven.

“One day, we will see our animals again in the eternity of Christ. Paradise is open to all of God’s creatures,” the Pope said, according to Italian news sources."

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
If there aren't any dogs in heaven, whats the point of even going there?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Barcley posted:

If there aren't any dogs

stopped reading there due to lack of interest in what was next

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Just when I thought I was doing better, the Vet sent me a Sympathy card.

gently caress.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Barcley posted:

If there aren't any dogs in heaven, whats the point of even going there?

It means you aren't in heaven.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Holy poo poo :3:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Norad has launched and ICBM of bellyrub and love straight into my heart.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Which dog park is that?

Bear Creek is the best. Best drat dog park on the planet.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

This is bailey. She is a good dog that my boss brings in. I usually spend my lunch breaks giving her pets.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Are dog-friendly work environments a new thing or is just because of the advent of social media because I want to go to there

I keep hearing and seeing poo poo about them. Talk about a good way to boost moral and de-stress. I always thought the Military needed a barracks dog or more dogs somehow aside from MP ones

also that's a good dog

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My office is dog friendly. The average day has 2 dogs. Max of 4 at times. It's pretty great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah uh how does anyone get work done

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Had about 20 at work today

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Imagine bringing cattes to work

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yeah uh how does anyone get work done

Sometimes they take naps and dont want us bothering them :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Goober Peas posted:

Imagine bringing cattes to work

I had a second lieutenant at Little Rock AFB who brought her cat to work a few times.

She also called herself Tupac. You know, like a normal person.