Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Here's a rough guide I post when this comes up. Probably needs some tweaking and updating but it'll do for a start.

Things may change based on stuff like OS, software preferences, type of game LPed, and so on. Should be a good starting point, at least.

I personally take screenshots from the avi using VLC's built in screenshot keyboard shortcut. In the settings you can set what kind of name you want the images to have, and it will append numbers such as 001 itself.

After taking screenshots I first go through the folder, remove any duplicates or otherwise failed images. Then I upload all images to lpix, and write the update directly on the screenshot LP test poster at https://lpix.org/sslptest/ because it supports BBcode. If it looks good in the sslptest preview, I upload it here.

I didn't know about that replace links plugin, that would certainly have been useful, and I didn't know about those Notepad++ macros either, that's handy too.

I usually have a browser open with the sslp test post in the first tab, the lpix folder with my images in the 2nd tab, then I middle click a couple dozen images so they open in new tabs in the right order, and then I work through the image tabs one by one. Maybe not the most efficient way but it works well for me.

Then, for convenience I actually use my second screen to look up background information, music links, and to play my video recording to see if I didn't miss anything. That's also where I make gifs, because I usually decide if I need them while writing an update.

I use gifcam for making gifs (couldn't get gooncam to work for some reason). The edit function is useful for picking exactly the frames you want.

juicedup posted:

Thanks guys.
I love the community here. Those ten bucks really are worth it.
I hope my LP goes well, It's too bad I'm not funny like most LPrs from this site.

Don't worry, I'm not the funniest guy on the block either. I try to be informative instead.

Better that than people who think they're funny but are not. Those folks make the shittiest LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

juicedup posted:

Thanks guys.
I hope my LP goes well, It's too bad I'm not funny like most LPrs from this site.

Try not to fret about a need to be funny, you don't need to be a joke-tellin' meme-spoutin' machine to be a good lper, just relax and have fun with it, try to be insightful/informative if you can. And going back to the recent discussion about "dead-air", don't be so afraid of a little silence that you feel like you have to fill that dead air with something because unless you had something you wanted to talk about(whether it's trivia or analysis of the game so far) or a co-host to have a bit of banter with it's a really good opportunity to trip over yourself in trying to force out material.

Whatever style of commentary you find works for you, though, you'll find that there are good opportunities for jokes that can work even if you end up being the most stonyfaced miserable serious dude talking over videogames, so don't be afraid to crack wise about a game once in a while.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
nothin' wrong with dead air when it's natural. it can be a problem if you're just trailing off arbitrarily at odd times, but you don't always need to be talking. if you feel it's TOO quiet, you can always get a co-commentator.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

juicedup posted:

Thanks guys.

My foremost concern with each shot is providing information. If a joke presents itself I take it, but I never think, like, oh I need a goof every 5 shots, better make sure 38 has a gag.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm planning on doing an SSLP of Advanced Squad Leader as I learn the ropes:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147331

I'd like to ask for feedback about the clarity of my writing, whether the screenshot format works, if my proposal to have one side be "goon-run" seems feasible, and basically anything else.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Did the forums default font/font size change past few days? Things look a little unfamiliar.

E: \/ \/ \/ :? This is an odd event.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 18, 2017

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Teledahn posted:

Did the forums default font/font size change past few days? Things look a little unfamiliar.

Yes/No. Yes it seems to have changed to be about 1 point larger for some people, but it wasn't an intentional change. I'm assuming something radium did is the cause.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Seems to be a change that Google Chrome made with a certain font.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Seems to be a change that Google Chrome made with a certain font.

Really? Because I'm on Firefox and I can see that it's changed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

nine-gear crow posted:

Really? Because I'm on Firefox and I can see that it's changed.

Huh, didn't hear about Firefox as well. I guess it really is on SA's end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The drama of the font breaking can be found here.

tl;dr zen death robot will fix things tomorrow, if things still need fixing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've toyed with the idea of Let's Playing Breath of the Wild, and after a couple attempts realized that the game speaks better for itself than I could really do, so I decided to simply do no-commentary, instead letting the atmosphere of the game itself and Link's actions be its own commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUBcjJaTKAc

Something I'm probably going to do on Youtube regardless, but I'm curious if this would fly here and with this game in particular, and also kinda curious on no-commentary in general since it kinda goes into Long Play territory, which is its own thing, though we've had some creative no-commentary LPs before. If it won't fit this forum then I'll leave it off.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What makes a longplay different from a Something Awful LP is that we have commentary and interaction. There was an LP of Bastion years back that had all of, like, 3 subtitles in challenge rooms for commentary in the videos themselves, but the LPer provided comments on certain things in the video like how weapons work or unlocked passives. You could try something like that.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I did an almost no commentary LP of Ephemerid for the ART Games thread awhile back. The only 'commentary' was a few subtitles at the beginning where I describe what the game was about, and that seemed to fly just fine. (Granted, the main focus of the game was its music. So make of that what you will.)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

I've toyed with the idea of Let's Playing Breath of the Wild, and after a couple attempts realized that the game speaks better for itself than I could really do, so I decided to simply do no-commentary, instead letting the atmosphere of the game itself and Link's actions be its own commentary.

Something I'm probably going to do on Youtube regardless, but I'm curious if this would fly here and with this game in particular, and also kinda curious on no-commentary in general since it kinda goes into Long Play territory, which is its own thing, though we've had some creative no-commentary LPs before. If it won't fit this forum then I'll leave it off.

I see no reason why it couldn't fit here. I would say try the thread. If you find no one's watching it or wanting to talk about it after an update or two, then perhaps it wasn't meant to be.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mega64 posted:

I made an LP of Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet that had no commentary (except before each video was posted) and got basically no reaction. Up to you whether that's a problem.

(I worked really hard on making every action and puzzle solution undestandable as well :saddowns:)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Actually decided I'm going to keep it off-site anyway (and it'll probably be abandoned anyway at some point, knowing me). Still, something good to know next time something like this pops up around here.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I probably won't post this for a while because I'd like to get the next update for my other LP out soon after dealing with a bunch of technical issues, but I had a really stupid idea that I have to act on because I'm an idiot:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147362

Do you think I should post more of the story even though either way I'm cutting most of it out? Does it look okay? I'm more than willing to change stuff.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Color Printer posted:

Do you think I should post more of the story even though either way I'm cutting most of it out? Does it look okay? I'm more than willing to change stuff.

I'm somewhere between yes, because gently caress if I remember anything about FFX's story and jumping around like that is pretty confusing, and no, because I dunno if I really care that much anyway and the random sphere grid is interesting enough on its own. The screenshot and videos are fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd say model yourself after the various challenge/exploit runs of Finals Fantasy 4-6 on the archives. They generally settle for hitting the high and/or memorable points (spoony bards, submariners, etc.) and skipping everything else.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What do I have to do to make the bd.baldurk LP archive work, it is the only place that vprisoner's Megaman Legends 1 LP is hosted.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

What do I have to do to make the bd.baldurk LP archive work, it is the only place that vprisoner's Megaman Legends 1 LP is hosted.

I think recent changes browsers are making towards getting rid of Flash Player broke it--you can get around it by opening up a page source and searching for ".mp4." You can append the /video/... directory on to bd.baldurk.org and watch the video file directly. Not exactly graceful, and you'll have to look at the source for each page since each video file seems to have its own hash-based directory, but it works.

ie. https://bd.baldurk.org/video/1269/0ee85778e755429b05ba46dd4caddd52/MML1-1.mp4 for Legends 1 episode 1

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Well I tried downloading the source video and it just stalls out halfway through then never resumes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Color Printer posted:

I probably won't post this for a while because I'd like to get the next update for my other LP out soon after dealing with a bunch of technical issues, but I had a really stupid idea that I have to act on because I'm an idiot:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147362

The way you handled the story stuff in the update is fine. My only suggestion would be to add some screenshots for the bosses for those not watching the videos, though considering how trivial they are so far you'd probably only need a couple.

Otherwise, looks fine to me! Looking forward to seeing the thread!

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I forgot baldurdash was still using flash. I switched over to <video> tags, should work now.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

baldurk posted:

I forgot baldurdash was still using flash. I switched over to <video> tags, should work now.

Cool

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Hello, I was looking around and noticed that nobody had done an LP of the Shadowrun Returns game(s) yet. It made me toy around with the idea of doing so myself, but seeing as I haven't done an LP before and know it's a fair bit of effort for a game like that, I figured I'd throw in a test update first to see if I'm at all on the right track before I overextend myself.

I've omitted character creation for now since I haven't yet decided on how to handle it. If it ends up taking long enough to warrant its own update then I'll extend the first "real" one to cover a bit more, probably the first fight at least. It also dawns on me that the second music track maybe cuts off a bit too soon, might have to extend that as well.

OP
Update 1 - Down and Out

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kanfy posted:

Hello, I was looking around and noticed that nobody had done an LP of the Shadowrun Returns game(s) yet. It made me toy around with the idea of doing so myself, but seeing as I haven't done an LP before and know it's a fair bit of effort for a game like that, I figured I'd throw in a test update first to see if I'm at all on the right track before I overextend myself.

I've omitted character creation for now since I haven't yet decided on how to handle it. If it ends up taking long enough to warrant its own update then I'll extend the first "real" one to cover a bit more, probably the first fight at least. It also dawns on me that the second music track maybe cuts off a bit too soon, might have to extend that as well.

OP
Update 1 - Down and Out

The LP Archive has a maximum image width of 900, so if you think you'll want to see yours archived you may want to consider resizing your larger images to that width.

/edit: portraits may be just a bit on the large side, I think last time portrait size was discussed the consensus had been 75x75 being a good size to aim for.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 22, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

The LP Archive has a maximum image width of 900, so if you think you'll want to see yours archived you may want to consider resizing your larger images to that width.

Yeah? I went by the fact I saw other LPs using a similar image size, like PoptartsNinja's TOR one. I originally intended to go for a lower resolution, but the game's HD scaling feature only works on 1920x1080 or above as far as I can tell and without it either the UI and text get uncomfortably small or the low resolution makes it super blurry. 900 width also makes things a tad hard to see, but I guess I'll see if I can figure something out.

quote:

/edit: portraits may be just a bit on the large side, I think last time portrait size was discussed the consensus had been 75x75 being a good size to aim for.

It's one of those games with pretty realistic and detailed portraits so I wasn't sure if making them too small made 'em annoying to look at. If not then I can certainly do that.

"What you're saying is that I also oughta cut a bit off the top and bottom to make the portraits square like this?"

"Well, as long as they can see my lovely tattoo."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Music links don't work.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You might want to consider starting with Dragonfall, DMS is boring as hell.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 22, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Edmond Dantes posted:

What? gently caress.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

anilEhilated posted:

You might wantto consider starting with Dragonfall, DMS is boring as hell.

Objection, I found it to be fun and relatively short. A good short story compared to how freaking long Dragonfall is.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I'd been wondering this for a while, and looking at the LP archive has me wondering again, what is the best way to handle wanting multiple audio streams?

As far as I know most video hosts don't provide any support, and if you were hosting your own videos on your own site you could make it work with javascript or a player that supports multiple tracks but html video playback in a browser doesn't natively support swapping between tracks.

Rendering a video and then muxing in the various audio tracks so that you end up with multiple separate video files(i.e. one with no commentary, one with live, one with post, etc) seems like the simplest and least technical way to do things, but is it also the best?

Something like one of those sites that plays multiple youtube videos at once might be a workable but lovely alternative.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Kanfy posted:

Hello, I was looking around and noticed that nobody had done an LP of the Shadowrun Returns game(s) yet.

Oh, good, now I don't need to think about making an LP of these games. Thanks for scratching one off my ever growing list.

Anyway, yeah, apart from the mentioned issues (LP archive image size limit, audio links seem broken, portrait size being a bit large), I think you're pretty much good. It might have been interesting to see how you'll do combat - when I was considering doing an LP of this, I toyed with the idea of making the actual shadowruns videos and the inbetween bits screenshotted, but it can work both ways, it's just a matter of execution.

I'm definitely going to be joining this thread.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

anilEhilated posted:

DMS is a great introduction to the series. Personally I enjoyed it more than Dragonfall, but that's mostly because i got sick of the gameplay by then.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kanfy posted:

Yeah? I went by the fact I saw other LPs using a similar image size, like PoptartsNinja's TOR one. I originally intended to go for a lower resolution, but the game's HD scaling feature only works on 1920x1080 or above as far as I can tell and without it either the UI and text get uncomfortably small or the low resolution makes it super blurry. 900 width also makes things a tad hard to see, but I guess I'll see if I can figure something out.

Tae posted:

What? gently caress.
It doesn't mean it won't display images larger than that, it just resizes them, but it's good to keep in mind.

Kanfy posted:

It's one of those games with pretty realistic and detailed portraits so I wasn't sure if making them too small made 'em annoying to look at. If not then I can certainly do that.

"What you're saying is that I also oughta cut a bit off the top and bottom to make the portraits square like this?"

"Well, as long as they can see my lovely tattoo."
I think these portraits look good.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Music links don't work.

Ah, I set the clips on private but I didn't realize that it created a completely separate link for that since I haven't used that website before. Thanks for pointing that out, they should work now.

anilEhilated posted:

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. And to be perfectly honest one reason why I'd rather do DMS first is because it's not quite as much work as Dragonfall or Hong Kong and I'd rather learn to swim before jumping into the ocean.

Anyhow, things should be according to regulations now. I've added some commentary and additional explanations, hopefully fixed the music, redone the portraits and resized the images. 900 width is just on the edge of readability when it comes to a couple of shots, but I guess with a lot of cropping those fullscreen ones with text shouldn't come up very often.

OP version 2
Update 1 version 2

The second music track's still a bit short since I had to cut that portion out of a longer track. (E: Should be a bit better now as well.)

TheMcD posted:

Oh, good, now I don't need to think about making an LP of these games. Thanks for scratching one off my ever growing list.

Anyway, yeah, apart from the mentioned issues (LP archive image size limit, audio links seem broken, portrait size being a bit large), I think you're pretty much good. It might have been interesting to see how you'll do combat - when I was considering doing an LP of this, I toyed with the idea of making the actual shadowruns videos and the inbetween bits screenshotted, but it can work both ways, it's just a matter of execution.

I'm definitely going to be joining this thread.

I'm not sure if the combat's interesting enough to warrant having it on video, I like the combat in these games well enough but I wouldn't say it's exactly a spectator sport. The first one has to be fairly thorough for the sake of covering mechanics, but the plan was to mostly give an overview of what goes down rather than a complete turn-by-turn thing.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 23, 2017

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Baldurk whatever you did worked, thank you. I would also like to state at this point that I lived a privileged life, having never watched a LP with oyster as a commentator. A shriller and insaner blister. Anyways, thanks for fixing baldurdash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Shadowrun Returns thread is up, a big thank you to everyone who helped me out.