Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jago posted:

It's interesting, the consoles have 8 cores, but even the new scorpio in the xbox is otherwise anemic in the horsepower department in terms of single threaded performance. 2.3ghz not jaguar , not ryzen isn't impressive. (Though it is running GDDR5 RAM)
On the other hand the graphics are what, ten times more powerful?

I guess what I really want to know is when I can get graphics memory for my pc's processor.

Well, PSVR works on the basic PS4 - somehow - so bear in mind we're lightyears ahead of the minimum spec here.

Consoles with 6-core Ryzen would be amazing though. Even at typical console clocks that would be what, quadruple the current throughput? Even 4-core Ryzen would probably triple it.

Potato Salad posted:

HBM is likely to be gddr, right?

I can't imagine putting HBM in a console given the ludicrously tight budget they have to hit. It's just not gonna happen.

Frankly I'm pretty astonished at a 40 compute-unit GPU to begin with. Polaris 10 is only 36 CU by itself, so we're talking about a custom chip that's larger than P10 plus the CPU cores might well be in the same package (not necessarily same die). Even with the large order quantities Microsoft will deliver, even with the console having a $600 MSRP, that's a surprisingly powerful and astonishingly expensive GPU for a console. Guess someone at Microsoft is tired of Sony having the biggest hardware at their pool parties...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Scorpio is looking to be neat and I can't wait for all the "no but see if you buy this $30 xeon and this old bitcoin fury with a dollar store PSU and a cardboard box you can smash the scorpio on performance and price!" builds on r/PCMR. They always get whipped up to prove consoles are never a consideration to be purchased, ever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I have four very ugly strips of duct tape on the 'underside' of my Air 540 because the HDD mounting holes are more than large enough to allow a stink bug to crawl into the case.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 18, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Well, to be fair, those comparisons have generally been until now correct. You don't buy a console as an informed person on the pure basis of specs. You buy consoles for personal preference, non-PC title access, or brand loyalty -- all of which are valid reasons to buy something.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It is worth remembering that Xbox One/PS4/PS4 Pro/Xbox Scorpio games are have or will have a limitation to 6 or 7 cores they can use at once, since 1 or 2 cores are reserved for the OS and related functionality.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What are the odds of a Xeon v3 ES working on a random X99 board? (GA-X99-UD4)

Trying to put together a cheap video encoding rig. I grabbed a cheap mobo from Microcenter ($60), now I'm wondering if I should have gotten another 5820K while I was there and could get the combo discount.

The plan was - there's plenty of the Xeon 6-core ES chips (E5-2620 v3) for <$100 on eBay. I might consider going upwards to some of the low-end 8/10/12 core chips which can still be had for <$200. Just not sure what my odds are on compatibility. Guess I should have thought of that first.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

What are the odds of a Xeon v3 ES working on a random X99 board? (GA-X99-UD4)

Trying to put together a cheap video encoding rig. I grabbed a cheap mobo from Microcenter ($60), now I'm wondering if I should have gotten another 5820K while I was there and could get the combo discount.

The plan was - there's plenty of the Xeon 6-core ES chips (E5-2620 v3) for <$100 on eBay. I might consider going upwards to some of the low-end 8/10/12 core chips which can still be had for <$200. Just not sure what my odds are on compatibility. Guess I should have thought of that first.

http://www.gigabyte.com/Support/GetCpuList/?Value=5123&Type=Product

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ES as long as it doesn't have some weird super early changes that make it not work in its socket should work just fine in that board. Heck the actual non ES chip has been supported since the F5 bios. And they are way past F22 with that board.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

My friend gave me his semi-functional PS4 to gently caress around with, I'm kind of afraid to open it now. Good thing roaches are pretty uncommon around here.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

In on the subject of scorpio does anyone feel like it's too early?

I feel as the hardware just isn't going to be good enough that deliver a decent next gen, vr or 4K experience.

There isn't even an SSD included. It seems like we'll be waiting until 2020 for the next big jump.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah I do think the 4k focus is a bit early, IMO it makes sense to just focus on providing a better 1080p experience until 4k TVs are more widely adopted and the hardware is a bit more capable.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It will always be a little early in Console land, but for once it looks like the Console might have the hardware to actually provide something close to what it is setting out to do.

Not like the PS4 Pro which is supposed to be 4K, but really only reaches up to say 1080P Plus with HDR. Hell unlike the Xbox One S, it doesn't even have a 4K BluRay drive in it. WTF Sony?

I have lately been getting a bit of fun use out of my OG Xbox One since I swapped the crappy 500G HDD with a 2TB one so I could have more than 4 games installed at the same time, so I might be interested in a Scorpio down the line for those days I just don't care to mess with my PC stuff.

Want a PS4 something someday, but outside of a few exclusives and Gran Turismo whatever, it isn't near as much of a want as the PS3 was back in the day, and I still have a ton of games for that to play too, though some have been ported to PC and are better for it as well.

(Valkyria Chronicles, FFXIII/-2, etc)

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Want a PS4 something someday, but outside of a few exclusives and Gran Turismo whatever, it isn't near as much of a want as the PS3 was back in the day, and I still have a ton of games for that to play too, though some have been ported to PC and are better for it as well.

(Valkyria Chronicles, FFXIII/-2, etc)

I'm surprised you feel that way. The PS4 exclusives are pretty drat solid this generation. This year alone had Nioh, Yakuza 0, Horizon: Zero Dawn and Persona 5, which I'd take over any PS3 exclusive from last generation. Then you got other great games like Bloodborne also.

And yeah, I agree the 4k focus is too early as well, which is going to be disappointing because most games are going to just target 4k30. This might drag down some games since they'll probably force 1080p30 but with jacked up graphics settings to keep parity. We'll see though, I really wish high frame rates were the focus instead of 4k, but that's way less marketable. I'm hoping 60fps gaming is the bare minimum for Scorpio. Really pleasantly surprised that Scorpio has FreeSync support also.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

VR is pushing 4K otherwise it's VR through a screen door.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's not that I don't want a PS4 for some of its great exclusives, its just the fact that I don't have time to play the practically thousands of games I already have across various systems I already own.

And originally the only reason I got a Xbox One was for Forza 5/6 as well up until I figured I needed to buy another wheel to get wheel support, and when I did try it with a wheel, the Wheel Support sucked compared to PC racers and made me sad :(

Also Destiny is Console only and I figured for $15 I should at least play through it some in prep for the PC version of D2, and to my surprise even though I suck with gamepad FPS, it is actually fun and relaxing.

What I actually need is a semi portable Gaming Laptop that can do both VR and Video Editing.

I would loooooove one of those 15" or smaller Ultrabook level ones that are stuck rocking 1060's to come in a 1070, as the only one thats a bit bigger that has a 1070 that I am leaning toward is the Aorus line with a 3K screen and Gsync in a not too crappy looking body. EVGA also has a nice one but their 15" is taking forever to make its appearance.

I would love an Aorus X3 with the X5's 1070

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 18, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The sony exclusives like zero dawn and last of us are worth putting the others aside

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Don Lapre posted:

The sony exclusives like zero dawn and last of us are worth putting the others aside

But the joke of a racing sim that everyone loves called Forza is worth it.

Trust me.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Persona 5 is one of the first major games I've played this generation that feel as polished as a major game should.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Still trying to Finish Persona 4.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

PerrineClostermann posted:

Persona 5 is one of the first major games I've played this generation that feel as polished as a major game should.

Yeah, as much as a lot of people are buying a Switch just for Zelda, after playing P5 I'd say it alone justifies my purchase of a PS4. What a fantastic game.

Xbox meanwhile has fuckall reason to exist at the moment, now that the Halo series has tanked.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

DrDork posted:

Yeah, as much as a lot of people are buying a Switch just for Zelda
This really underestimates the Zelda fanaticism out there.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I mean more like "this game is so loving good it justifies the system all by itself." Not that people are actually buying it the way they're buying Zelda (which is a shame, really).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
When I am looking at the Xeon Wikipedia, how do I interpret the "turbo" ratings?

For example let's say I'm looking at a turbo set of "2/2/2/2/2/2/8/8". I assume that means that the more cores you have active the lower the turbo is, but what do you do with those figures?

I'm guessing it's something like "(Normal base multiplier + lowest turbo for your number of cores) x BCLK = your boost clock"?

So since that processor has a base clock of 2.4 GHz (24x mult, 100 MHz BCLK) then you could turbo to 3.2 GHz on up to 2 cores but after that you drop to 2.6 GHz? (thermals permitting) The math seems to work.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 19, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I interpret it as "counting down from the maximum number of cores/full processor active in turbo bins, how much higher than stock can the multiplier be on those cores which are above stock?" That's what you mean, right?

e: So, for example a 2.2GHz base six-core with a 2/2/3/4/5/5 profile could run at 2400x6, 2700x2+2200x4, and points in between with TDP and thermals permitting.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 19, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Eletriarnation posted:

I interpret it as "counting down from the maximum number of cores/full processor active in turbo bins, how much higher than stock can the multiplier be on those cores which are above stock?" That's what you mean, right?

e: So, for example a 2.2GHz base six-core with a 2/2/3/4/5/5 profile could run at 2400x6, 2700x2+2200x4, and points in between with TDP and thermals permitting.

I think it's more clear to say just 2700x2, because the other cores aren't running code and will get power gated to 0 Hz.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EdEddnEddy posted:

Still trying to Finish Persona 4.

Still trying to finish Persona 3 :negative:

I own every mainline Persona release since 3 and have beaten none of them. The curse is real.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BobHoward posted:

I think it's more clear to say just 2700x2, because the other cores aren't running code and will get power gated to 0 Hz.

Ah, is that only possible if they're idling though or is non-turbo operation allowed? I was thinking of a scenario where you have a two-threaded main load and lesser threads which can be handled by the other cores, like the OS background processes. I should try selectively loading some Xeons at work with Prime95 or Intel's tuning utility and see what happens, I guess.

eames
May 9, 2009

Thanks Ryzen?

article posted:

Intel will unveil its Basin Falls platform, i.e. Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X processors and X299 chipset, at Computex 2017 in Taipei during May 30-June 3 two months earlier than originally scheduled, and will bring forward the launch of Coffee Lake microarchitecture based on a 14nm process node from January 2018 originally to August 2017, to cope with increasing competition from AMD's Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 processors, according to Taiwan-based PC vendors.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170419PD207.html

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Hopefully the MB makers will be more prepared than they were with Ryzen.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Will be interesting to see the price disparity between 6-core Coffee Lake, 6-core Skylake-X and especially the 8-core one.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
what will 'coffee lake' bring to the table vs sky/kaby? 4.8 boost? 6/12 i7, 4/8 i5, 4/4 i3, 2/4 pentium, 2/2 celeron? just how big will that die be to have 6 cores plus graphics? will the ever bring crystalwell back? Also, I thought coffee was supposed to be 10nm. Are they having a tougher time of it than they thought?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Will be interesting to see the price disparity between 6-core Coffee Lake, 6-core Skylake-X and especially the 8-core one.

Intel's not dumb - they'll launch the six-core Coffee Lake 3-6 months later.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If I'm waiting for whatever comes after 7700K, is the next big thing 8700K+Z370 in August or something like that? I've been looking at Ryzen, but the temperature and lacklustre game performance compared kept me looking at just getting the next -700K.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
The 8700K or whatever they call it is going to be Coffee Lake, so according to the rumors being discussed on this page it'll probably be out in August.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is Coffeelake 6 core gonna be compatible with Z170, any chance?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

New microarchitecture from Intel usually requires new chipsets as well. Tocks usually socket into old chipsets.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Welp I was going to build a R5 1600X rig this summer...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So glad I didn't impulse build a new system with Z270/7700K.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I can wait for a looooong time. After my GTX1070 last year nothing really catches my wallet's attention in PC land anymore. Same goes for phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

There is a good chance yeah, that's the whole reason of reusing the sky/kaby socket one last time.
Needs a Bios update of course. You miss out out on 4 PCIe lanes, Optane and whatever else they cram in, but you'll probably survive.