Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think I need to start playing Shogun 2 on higher difficulties, which means I need to figure out how to win battles other than 'bait enemy into obvious trap of all my good units'. I think I've got a pretty good handle on what unit roles are but any time I need to do something more than stick my army in a big line and watch the enemy bounce off my yari walls I run into trouble. Its a pity multiplayer isn't working.

By the way are there any mods people use that just make the AI better without changing the core gameplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
I've played TW games since Shogun 1 but being a simpleton I've never really been very good at anything complicated. I've always operated on basic principles like "build lots of money buildings then send out your stacks" or "spam trade ships" or "play as Milan and go all cities all Genoese crossbowmen".

But Rome 2 seems hell bent on making me actually think about how to build my provinces, which I hate. I always feel like I've got the balance of building types badly wrong and I'm either stagnant or struggling.

There is so much to learn and it doesn't help that the encyclopedia is an absolute piece of poo poo. Hard to navigate, nothing is laid out conveniently, references things like "Anthony's Rome" "Octavian's Rome" which I have no idea if they refer to previous patches or something later in the game.

edit: Ah. Vanilla Rome garrison units are second from bottom in the list. Didn't see it at first.

Does it matter at all which town the improvements are built in within a province? Eg. if I build a temple/barracks/trader in Arminium is it effectively the same as if I build it in Neapolis?

I've had a look at and tried this guide http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182307907 and rage quit when his suggested buildings didn't seem to match up with what was there.

Please help. A link to a better/more comprehensive guide or just your own personal tips would be amazing.

Immortal Wombat fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 4, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I don't have guide suggestions, and part of the issue is that the building bloat in Rome 2 is probably at its worst in the entire series with far too many minor stat variations and pros and cons to weigh up all the drat time for anyone to manage it efficiently. But I can at least say that the "Octavian's Rome" and "Antony's Rome" and so on are referring to factions in the alternate campaign start which begins post-Caesar and was added in the Emperor Edition, rather than something that will happen later in the game or whatever.

What I remember is that province improvements are province-wide rather than being limited to the specific regions/towns within a province, but I may be wrong about that oh well.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just play Rome 1, instead.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
You say that like I haven't already wasted an upsetting portion of my life playing Rome 1.

I'm in this for fake achievement like everyone else. I need a new TW (I have already bought R2. Attila and Warhammer are too expensive for me atm).

edit: also I played every other TW

Immortal Wombat fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 5, 2017

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
total war made a pretty nice blog post regarding their historical games to quell the seething mass of historical TW fans foaming about Warhammer II. it doesn't say anything that we don't already know, but it's a decent read: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/quick-word-on-historical-titles/

edit: by the way, how far did Shogun 2 (more importantly FOTS) modding get off the ground? i've been trawling the TWC forums for tips and tricks, but the Shogun 2 modding board is basically a barren wasteland for information

ExParrot fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 5, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ExParrot posted:

total war made a pretty nice blog post regarding their historical games to quell the seething mass of historical TW fans foaming about Warhammer II. it doesn't say anything that we don't already know, but it's a decent read: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/quick-word-on-historical-titles/

edit: by the way, how far did Shogun 2 (more importantly FOTS) modding get off the ground? i've been trawling the TWC forums for tips and tricks, but the Shogun 2 modding board is basically a barren wasteland for information

I feel like there's at least one FOTS mod that takes the setting out of Japan, but I'm drawing a blank.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Immortal Wombat posted:

I've played TW games since Shogun 1 but being a simpleton I've never really been very good at anything complicated. I've always operated on basic principles like "build lots of money buildings then send out your stacks" or "spam trade ships" or "play as Milan and go all cities all Genoese crossbowmen".

But Rome 2 seems hell bent on making me actually think about how to build my provinces, which I hate. I always feel like I've got the balance of building types badly wrong and I'm either stagnant or struggling.

There is so much to learn and it doesn't help that the encyclopedia is an absolute piece of poo poo. Hard to navigate, nothing is laid out conveniently, references things like "Anthony's Rome" "Octavian's Rome" which I have no idea if they refer to previous patches or something later in the game.

edit: Ah. Vanilla Rome garrison units are second from bottom in the list. Didn't see it at first.

Does it matter at all which town the improvements are built in within a province? Eg. if I build a temple/barracks/trader in Arminium is it effectively the same as if I build it in Neapolis?

I've had a look at and tried this guide http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182307907 and rage quit when his suggested buildings didn't seem to match up with what was there.

Please help. A link to a better/more comprehensive guide or just your own personal tips would be amazing.

In the begining it might be a bit tough but it's not a bad system per se. Try to build balanced provices at first due to lack of size and after you start exanding start to focus provices to certain roles. Rome is really really good at pumping out fully stacked armies in 3 turns, Magna Graecia (Sicily) Can be a ridiculous bread basket for your empire and Africa can give you ridiculous amount of cash since they have 4 port settlements.

Grab some mods from the workshop that tweaks the settlement logic to your tastes. I personally like the mod that increases garrisons in general as well as lowers unit recruitment by one building tier less, so you get better units earlier (this isn't so important to the player but it's vital for the AI to pump out actually tough armies instead of a million javelin men).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I usually play campaigns slowly, but taking a lead from some VLPs I've been dipping into on Youtube, I've been playing R:TW as Germania and just bumrushing everywhere.
45 turns in, it's bonkers. I control everything North of the Tiber between the Atlantic and the Danube (including Rome, excluding Iberia); I'm in the process of invading the Britons and attacking the Scythians (although I'll let their provinces go rebel once they're wiped out) and I've got a few Berserkers who are just itching to be pointed at some Scipii or Brutii.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Find a bridge and settle down. Berserkers are the deadliest unit in the game in close quarters where the enemy is bunched up.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

My guide to playing Rome II Total War:

Turn game off, start up Attila.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

disjoe posted:

My guide to playing Rome II Total War:

Turn game off, start up Attila.
He's playing RTW1 unless Scipii and Brutii are some newly patched in factions.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Asehujiko posted:

Scipii and Brutii

I still have not forgiven TCA for this.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

He's playing RTW1 unless Scipii and Brutii are some newly patched in factions.

Immortal Wombat? The guy that was explicitly talking about Rome 2?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Immortal Wombat posted:

You have to specialize entire regions, or otherwise sacrifice efficiency for utility and keep your buildings low-tier. Like, you can't grow a lot of food, AND build military units AND be economically viable in one region. Gotta pick one.

But you're right, recruiting and economics work by region. If you build a barracks in Arminium, you can recruit those units as long as you're in region borders.

I haven't played Rome 2 in a long time, because it sucks. Province management will never not be annoying. Also, Rome 2's mid-game power check is the civil war, which doesn't compare at all to Realm Divide, or Hunnic/Chaos invasions.

Edit: I remember making a lot of basic tier II farms in almost every town in Rome 2. They were the most cost-efficient way to get food, and I wasn't building military units in most of those provinces.

You can evade a local province food shortage by exempting it from tax. I think that food penalties will still apply to your global food stock, but the individual province won't starve. You can build up higher-tier military buildings this way.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 10, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

disjoe posted:

Immortal Wombat? The guy that was explicitly talking about Rome 2?

You didn't quote them and your post came after people started talking Rome 1. Understandable mixup.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Taking a break for WarHams, going to give atilla another play...What mods elevate gameplay?

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Ammanas posted:

Taking a break for WarHams, going to give atilla another play...What mods elevate gameplay?

Would also like to know this as well as any recommendations for making some of Rome II's province issues less annoying. Looking to spending a decent amount of time with Rome II and Atilla after getting all the DLC months ago and never really playing either.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The problem with mods for Attila is that the game runs a fine tuned line between chaos and managment being a walk in the park. I'd just recommend Mazz's upkeep mod since it turns unit upkeep into sensible costs and a mod that makes colonization (for you and AI) a bit easier.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Ammanas posted:

If you're going to play either of the Romans, then I suggest you get No Legacy Tech Loss enabled. Yes, by building a mid-sized church I will forget how to mix concrete. Makes sense, CA.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
HOLE LEFT BY THE
CHRISTIAN DARK AGES

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Tiler Kiwi posted:

HOLE LEFT BY THE
CHRISTIAN DARK AGES

Works best with the Finno-Korean Hyper War mod.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Man, I forgot how sane the Diplo AI is in Warhammer versus some other total wars. Feels like I've always got 2-3 Eternal Hell Wars going in Rome 2

Also, I like the Triumvirate campaign but they really should have had it be specially scripted, as it is it's just a defensive alliance no-one can call in

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

What's wrong with Rome II? I bought the Emperor Edition to take a break from Warham, and so far my only complaint is the sprawling building tree. I'm playing as House Julii and I just got done squashing the Etruscan League. Everything seems okay so far?

I'm more or less asking what I should be watching out for

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Rome 2 is fine now. By the time it got patched up to be really good, Attila was released 6 months later and improved a lot of things balancewise.

Things that sorta suck about Rome 2 is that you can build the most expensive units and win every battle forever. And a lot of the overworld stuff isn't great (food/happiness management, agent spam, bizarre building trees)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Rome II's unresolved problems are mostly to do with the UI. Being unable to see unit counts at a glance, being unable to see skill trees, and the general crapness of the building browser are the big ones. You can generally see the economic effects of buildings in the web-based browser, but it's really hard to work out recruitment dependencies.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the ai wasn't able to cope with the food / province system and would destroy itself. said systems also meant a declining empire would have a really bad time since you'd likely have to rejiggle your buildings to avoid penalties when losing a building in a province, and I don't think the AI ever really tore down buildings. Buildings also had bigger and bigger penalties as they were upgraded, necessitating either never upgrading them past a specific point, or working out some ideal province layout using the god awful encyclopedia. The politics system was complete irredeemable trash. Most of your campaign would be spent fighting very, very similar factions. Units had direct upgrades and many units were just pointless roster filler, and many rosters felt very similar on the whole. Transports would thrash actual navies. Land boat bugs. AI couldn't actually fight an offensive siege, like, literally would bug out and do nothing. more poo poo but im bored listing things now.

it had, and still has, problems. empire edition helped make a lot of the most egregious things go away: buildings are a lot more sane, units are better balanced/defined, transports lose vs real boats (tho good loving luck anyways due to sluggish controls)

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 19, 2017

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Fair enough. We'll see how it goes. Atilla didn't end up clicking for me for some reason. It also felt like AI turns took forever way too early in the game. Maybe ill give it another shot if Rome II ends up being a bust

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I didn't like Attila because it was mainly muddy barbarians verses amnesia'd roman's and I didn't find that sort of thing fun. Half the world being Razed by turn 10 was also something that pissed me off. Spent more time marching and paying to rebuild than I did fighting.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the ai wasn't able to cope with the food / province system and would destroy itself.

This is true of every TW game. CA has never once made a self-sustaining, challenging campaign AI.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

TheHoosier posted:

Fair enough. We'll see how it goes. Atilla didn't end up clicking for me for some reason. It also felt like AI turns took forever way too early in the game. Maybe ill give it another shot if Rome II ends up being a bust

The turn time is Attilas big problem even on an SSD. Every few months I see it in my steam library and go "hey, how come I never gave this a proper go" install some mods, get excited by the many cool factions then immediately quit due to the turn times.

E it also had the classic CA balancing where the hun cavalry army had the strongest infantry and the Roman infantry army had the strongest cavalry.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dogstile posted:

I didn't like Attila because it was mainly muddy barbarians verses amnesia'd roman's and I didn't find that sort of thing fun. Half the world being Razed by turn 10 was also something that pissed me off. Spent more time marching and paying to rebuild than I did fighting.

Charlemagne tho

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Roman amnesia problem is a big problem to deal with and it's kind of a major aspect of the game (for certain factions). The worst game mechanics are ones that you can do nothing about. Like, in ME2 when the plague comes in and everyone gets hosed up you can kind of subvert the effects on your nation with public health bonuses and food buildings.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ammanas posted:

This is true of every TW game. CA has never once made a self-sustaining, challenging campaign AI.

i mean, there's a gulf between "worse than a player" vs "has actually no armies due to self inflicted attrition" that requires appreciating

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Ammanas posted:

Shogun 2 and Medieval 1 had perfectly competent, self sustaining AI that provides a solid challenge for all but the best players with the appropriately set difficulty level. The nicest thing anyone could say about the Rome 2 AI at launch was that it technically existed, because random chance based behaviour would have produced better results. You can't really compare it to the other games (maybe release Empire, but even then).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

The turn time is Attilas big problem even on an SSD. Every few months I see it in my steam library and go "hey, how come I never gave this a proper go" install some mods, get excited by the many cool factions then immediately quit due to the turn times.

E it also had the classic CA balancing where the hun cavalry army had the strongest infantry and the Roman infantry army had the strongest cavalry.

How would an SSD even increase turn speed, it's all calculations done by the CPU.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mans posted:

Charlemagne tho

Game killed my interest before the expansion came out, i'm not spending more money just in case, especially now that warhams is out.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shalcar posted:

Shogun 2 and Medieval 1 had perfectly competent, self sustaining AI that provides a solid challenge for all but the best players with the appropriately set difficulty level. The nicest thing anyone could say about the Rome 2 AI at launch was that it technically existed, because random chance based behaviour would have produced better results. You can't really compare it to the other games (maybe release Empire, but even then).
Shogun 2's AI just stands there to be picked apart by ranged fire in sieges and rushes forward in standard battles. It's not fancier nor dumber than any regular AI.

Warhams sometimes tries to hit your armies from the rear, that's a revolutionary step for total war AI

dogstile posted:

Game killed my interest before the expansion came out, i'm not spending more money just in case, especially now that warhams is out.

It's like 5 buchs nowadays dude.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I think Medieval's AI was pretty solid. It could mostly play out the tactical battles and stay interesting on the world map.

Not sure it has been surpassed in the intervening 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

Shogun 2's AI just stands there to be picked apart by ranged fire in sieges and rushes forward in standard battles. It's not fancier nor dumber than any regular AI.

Warhams sometimes tries to hit your armies from the rear, that's a revolutionary step for total war AI

I think he was talking about the campaign AI rather than the combat AI. Combat AI has been more or less the same across the series with a few incremental changes (I think Warhammer included more substantial stuff but it's still kind of hard to tell). Campaign AI on the other hand has been all over the place and often includes a ton of cheats even on the easiest difficulty level just to cover for them.