Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The Prets are literally a thousand times prettier than the Cadiz, which are one of the only cosmetic things I dislike about the car whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Upgrading my 2016 FiST to Sync3 v2.2 (apple car play/android whatever its called) Wish me luck lads!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is it possible to do that on the 2015? I hate the stereo on the 2015.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I should have gotten an ST1 and then installed the Recaros from a junked ST or something so I would just have a regular head unit; I hate MyFordTouch. Welp, I feel like from this point onward I'll never really be able to escape stupid infotainment screens in whatever car I get myself into. This is The Future

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The MIB II in the '16 GTI owns. Carplay owns.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

PaintVagrant posted:

Upgrading my 2016 FiST to Sync3 v2.2 (apple car play/android whatever its called) Wish me luck lads!

Let me know how this goes. Did you have to install the USB hub for CarPlay to work?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Let me know how this goes. Did you have to install the USB hub for CarPlay to work?

Works! Had to swap in a 60 dollar USB hub and install two separate auto installer packages using a fat32 flash drive.

I think this only works on sync3, so 2016 and up. 2017s come from the factory with it, I think.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 18, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Agreed. I just wish Apple would not be cunts and allow other apps to be used for navigation. Waze in the morning on the way to work is fantastic but instead I'm limited to the janky Apple maps.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I installed a jvc CarPlay capable head unit in my GLI and it does indeed own. The fiesta's infotainment system is so integrated with some systems in the car and the dash itself it would take some intense custom work to even get a double din unit anywhere in the dash.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I installed a jvc CarPlay capable head unit in my GLI and it does indeed own. The fiesta's infotainment system is so integrated with some systems in the car and the dash itself it would take some intense custom work to even get a double din unit anywhere in the dash.

Integrated systems succccck. My Speed3 and Infiniti had HVAC and other things in the head unit and it would cost an outrageous amount of money to make a working solution. I remember people had to keep the old head unit in the glovebox in addition to the new one.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Integrated systems succccck. My Speed3 and Infiniti had HVAC and other things in the head unit and it would cost an outrageous amount of money to make a working solution. I remember people had to keep the old head unit in the glovebox in addition to the new one.

VW has the same integration stuff but some company called idatalink makes a device called the maestro that can facilitate the communication between those systems and most aftermarket stereos. It was actually pretty cool and not that expensive. A device like this would be perfect for the fiesta but there's just nowhere to put an aftermarket head unit. The unit that houses the screen in the fiesta is too small, and the rest of the center console has too much poo poo on it.

I did look in to installing a sync3 unit in place of the 2 but they are like $1500 and need to be reprogrammed for the car so it's just not worth it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 18, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think if I had Android Auto/CariPlay/Whatever it's called I would hate my system a lot less- as is there's no installed navigation or backup camera so there's really no reason for the touchscreen to be there. Unfortunately it's a '14 so there's no reflashing to something more capable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Agreed. I just wish Apple would not be cunts and allow other apps to be used for navigation. Waze in the morning on the way to work is fantastic but instead I'm limited to the janky Apple maps.

For real, Apple Maps can suck a thousand goddamn dicks. How do you make map software so bad?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Used 2016 Fiesta ST with 3600 miles and Recaro seats, asking 20k OTD worth it?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Etrips posted:

No. Look up in the thread people are getting these for like 15k or less.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

bobfather posted:

No. Look up in the thread people are getting these for like 15k or less.

edit: I still do not understand how people are/were getting these for 15k or less.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 18, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Etrips posted:

15 seems low, but 20 is prob pretty high.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Don't these go for $21 or $22k new OTD?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

mariooncrack posted:

Don't these go for $21 or $22k new OTD?

"go for"

If you're paying MSRP for an American car in this, the YOOL 2017, you're doing it wrong.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Feels like the demand/buzz for the FiST has dropped a little since it was released so I wouldn't be surprised if they were a little easier to find cheaper now.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

"go for"

If you're paying MSRP for an American car in this, the YOOL 2017, you're doing it wrong.

The difference between MSRP and invoice is almost very small. Like to the tune of a couple hundred dollars.

MSRP / Invoice
$21,460.00 / $21,139.00

Monkey Fracas posted:

Feels like the demand/buzz for the FiST has dropped a little since it was released so I wouldn't be surprised if they were a little easier to find cheaper now.

Find me an 16-17 new or used with little to no miles in Black or Magnetic with Recaros for a significantly cheaper price >$1000 that is <400 miles from 20191 and I'll give you a finders fee.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 18, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
2016 with 3650 miles for $18,900

2016 with 761 miles for $16,900 Note that this one doesn't have the Recaros, but you can get them used and bolt them in for way cheaper than $3k.

As always, it's your money. Do what you want.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

2016 with 3650 miles for $18,900

As always, it's your money. Do what you want.

This was the one I was looking at. Now add in state tax and tags, fees, blah blah, and it is basically 20k OTD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Invoice includes dealer holdback.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

Find me an 16-17 new or used with little to no miles in Black or Magnetic with Recaros for a significantly cheaper price >$1000 that is <400 miles from 20191 and I'll give you a finders fee.

I hear they depreciate really fast so maybe find a used one with like 20-30k miles on it? Not a big help if you're totally set on going new but I would consider it at least

Trying to find a relatively rare used car with the features and condition you want can be it's own PITA though I guess; had to drive a while to get mine

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
South Florida is a wasteland for Fiesta STs, but here's one: 2014 Fiesta ST3 with 17.5k miles for 16k; has mods too

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 18, 2017

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Picked up a brand new 2017 GTI SE yesterday and the difference between it and my previous car, a 2008 Honda Fit is, well, insane. Put down 100 miles yesterday just aimlessly driving around and trying to see how fast I could smush myself into the seat under acceleration. It's the first car I've ever owned that makes me feel like I'm in my own starship.

One thing I can't figure out: do the side mirrors turn in when I park? Or can they?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
you're going to poop yourself when you get a downpipe and tune :v:

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008

Mandals posted:

Picked up a brand new 2017 GTI SE yesterday and the difference between it and my previous car, a 2008 Honda Fit is, well, insane. Put down 100 miles yesterday just aimlessly driving around and trying to see how fast I could smush myself into the seat under acceleration. It's the first car I've ever owned that makes me feel like I'm in my own starship.

One thing I can't figure out: do the side mirrors turn in when I park? Or can they?

Oh jesus, I might have to go for a test drive. I own a 2009 Honda Fit and I've been starting to eye this thread along with the prices on the GTI...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mandals posted:

They aren't powered. You can buy the kit for them to fold in automatically if you wanted. You'd also need to do some VCDS to enable it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Do you have the manual or dsg on the GTI? There is an auto mode on the dsg, right? I need a wrx replacement that someone who can't drive a stick can drive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Manual 4 lyfe

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
But if you're going to need an automatic, the DSG is a hell of an automatic.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

gvibes posted:

Do you have the manual or dsg on the GTI? There is an auto mode on the dsg, right? I need a wrx replacement that someone who can't drive a stick can drive.

DSG has two automatic modes, "D" for normal operation and "S" which is supposed to be a sport mode. It also has an explicit manual position with a tiptronic type setup and paddles which can be used at any time.

At least on the MkV GTI I did not like S mode. It shifted firmer and would rev higher, but it made it a lot less predictable. It was actually worse than D in a drag race because it would hold the gear rather than immediately upshifting. Just using D and manually short shifting 1-2 with the paddles got me my best times at the local drag strip, and using manual mode with the paddles was much more enjoyable on twisty roads.

It is definitely the best automatic for an enthusiast.

edit: In other hot hatch news, one of my friends bought a 3D printer so I made one of the pedal spacers for my FiST. I didn't think the pedal positioning was particularly bad, but I'm really annoyed at myself for not doing this earlier. It really is a difference.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 19, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

solution to someone who can't drive stick is for them to learn

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's really, really not that hard to get someone up to an operational level in a manual car. To get comfortable the only way is experience though which can take a while so you have to have a little dedication to it if the person isn't going to be just driving the car every day.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Unless you're missing an arm or leg or both, everyone should know how to drive a manual.

Having a manual transmission is one of the best theft deterrents around.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

solution to someone who can't drive stick is for them to learn

Word

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

veedubfreak posted:

Unless you're missing an arm or leg or both, everyone should know how to drive a manual.

But if everyone know how, it wouldn't be a theft deterrent, would it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Everyone here just uses a flatbed + winch to steal cars :shrug: