Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

There Bias Two posted:

Wait, wasn't it mentioned that the Titans are really, really light for their size? That would probably make them ineffective for a kinetic bombardment.

Light for their size doesn't mean they're light as a feather. They probably wouldn't be able to do as much damage as they do if that were the case.

A male adult killer whale weighs about 5-6 tons, at a length of about 6 meters. Even if it weighed half that, you could do a lot of damage dropping them out of a plane. And they take up less space than bombs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Titans being light is meant to explain why something so large doesn't destroy itself under Square-Cube Law. But they clearly have some weight to them because they still cause plenty of damage, and they tear apart quite easily which suggests they still have mass too great for their connective tissue to really contain. Eren in particular tends to damage his titan body fighting the way he does, as he's the largest fleshy titan who fights like a human.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 8, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

There Bias Two posted:

Wait, wasn't it mentioned that the Titans are really, really light for their size? That would probably make them ineffective for a kinetic bombardment.

Titans are very light for how heavy they are, given that they weigh as much as an average adult until they don't.

Petiso posted:

This is it, this is Attack on Titan now.

Oh, I love Getter Robo!

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 8, 2017

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
D...Did the author just draw a meme as the cover of the magazine?????

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Titan weight = x - y, where x is the "wouldn't it be cool if they crushed something" factor and y is the "too lazy to draw the ground deforming under their feet all the time" factor

They probably would have had to have been as dense or denser for their size this chapter, takes a helluva lot of energy to take down stone walls and crater the ground like that.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

So I guess during the Shiganshina attacks Zeke made an orbit of bodybag people to turn into titans?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sub Harrison posted:

So I guess during the Shiganshina attacks Zeke made an orbit of bodybag people to turn into titans?

No, he transformed Connie's village.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

IceBorg posted:

D...Did the author just draw a meme as the cover of the magazine?????

Yes.
Thats the 4guys 4koma meme.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

RatHat posted:

No, he transformed Connie's village.

No that was for Trost. Annie rounded up a bunch of roaming titans that the Marleyans had been making for 100 years.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
In hindsight and seeing the earlier parts in the anime again the politics arc was definitely a good move because the shock horror grows old fast.

At least shifter WWE is coming up this season

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Speaking of the alternating tones of the series, I wonder if the Marley arc is going to be an inverse of the story up to now, with the Paradis people infiltrating them to destabilize the country and obtain the titanization technology.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
man, the zeppelin full of eldians in straight jackets just waiting to be titanized is so loving disturbing. dark.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This chapter really shows how much Eldians are despised. No problem tying them up and dropping them as ammunition from the plane.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Sub Harrison posted:

This chapter really shows how much Eldians are despised. No problem tying them up and dropping them as ammunition from the plane.

60% dead on landing wasn't it?

There's no place of this story to go but darker. One side or the other is probably going to get wiped out.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
If Reiner is coming up on his expiry date, how close is Annie to timing out? Has being frozen in carbonite paused her deadline?

I'm hoping that when we return to our main cast, Annie will have returned to the stage.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I hope they don't because going darker and returning the favor on Marley would simply transform the series into full blown fascist apologia. The Wall King's ideology was a failed attempt to end the cycle of vengeance that tried to disengage from the world and did not address the fundamental flaws in the human condition, the Scout Legion has to learn to do better.

And to do that, they need to purge poo poo eating torture freaks like Darius.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hamelekim posted:

60% dead on landing wasn't it?

There's no place of this story to go but darker. One side or the other is probably going to get wiped out.

Still hoping for a double Knock Out, myself. In my mind, all the characters in this world are Irredeemable Villains now, and the only happy ending possible is they all go extinct in the war.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phobophilia posted:

I hope they don't because going darker and returning the favor on Marley would simply transform the series into full blown fascist apologia. The Wall King's ideology was a failed attempt to end the cycle of vengeance that tried to disengage from the world and did not address the fundamental flaws in the human condition, the Scout Legion has to learn to do better.

And to do that, they need to purge poo poo eating torture freaks like Darius.

They way things are now, with the new island government making a point to inform the populous despite what may come, leads me to believe that's what's coming.

I heavily disagree with the assertion that all characters are equally monstrous.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 11, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yes.
Thats the 4guys 4koma meme.

I want the other pictures of the meme now. Unless they're already there and I just missed them.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Re: the anime

They're really laying it on thick with the Reiner/Bert/Ymir scenes, guess it helps to speed things along, or maybe the manga was like that too but it's been a while

Like then the group on the tower spot Donkey Kong and it pans to Bert/Reiner visibly frightened and trembling, differently than everyone else. drat now I'm gonna look it up in the manga if it was there or not.

edit: disregard the above, it's all there in the manga haha

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 19, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If I'm remembering correctly, there's even a pannel where Reiner is holding his hand very close to his mouth right before Ymir turns into a titan

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
On that note, did they truncate the scene where they read the cans? It seems like they only included the tail end of the scene in the anime, but it's hard to remember precise details that far back.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

On that note, did they truncate the scene where they read the cans? It seems like they only included the tail end of the scene in the anime, but it's hard to remember precise details that far back.

Yeah, they skipped the banter between Ymir and Reiner and the reveal that Ymir could read the unknown language on the can. They might include that in a future episode? Would be weird to show Reiner being shocked that Ymir could read it, but not the rest of the scene.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Imagine how much show watchers missed out on with Ymir and Reiner's "I'm gay no you're gay" scene

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, they skipped the banter between Ymir and Reiner and the reveal that Ymir could read the unknown language on the can. They might include that in a future episode? Would be weird to show Reiner being shocked that Ymir could read it, but not the rest of the scene.

Yep, it's suspicious, I suppose they will put a small flashback to that scene in the next episode?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Still hoping for a double Knock Out, myself. In my mind, all the characters in this world are Irredeemable Villains now, and the only happy ending possible is they all go extinct in the war.

I used to think the same but all we have to go on for why the Eldians deserve to get stuck into ghettos is the word of the people doing precisely what they acuse the Eldians of having done. Seems pretty much Totalitarian Propaganda 101 to justify their expansionist and genocidal policies.

What we do know is that in the past there were wars that involved Titans and that the leader of the Eldians attempted to remove his people from the continent to put an end to the cycle of violence. The only ones using titans offensively - against the Eldians and the rest of the world - are the Marley.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Yeah, I think the idea that both sides are villainous here is not really a reasonable one. No matter what wrongs Eldia committed in the past - even if they were just as bad as Marley says - we know that in present day the Eldian people are blameless, and the only evil here is the Marleyian government.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, there's even a pannel where Reiner is holding his hand very close to his mouth right before Ymir turns into a titan
That was Bert who had his hand near his mouth. Having trouble finding the panel right now, otherwise I'd post it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There was lots of subtle stuff like that that you wouldn't notice unless you knew the twist. It was really well done.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

What sold me on the direction was on the first episode, that second-long pause in Berthold acknowledging Reiner's suggestion of heading south. Drawing consistency issues aside, the manga does well with its use of panels dedicated solely to facial expressions, but actually having them linger during an animated scene conveys nuances of meaning print media can't.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

That was Bert who had his hand near his mouth. Having trouble finding the panel right now, otherwise I'd post it.

I feel like I'm going crazy because I just now read through all of volumes 9 and 10 looking for it, and cannot for the life of me find the panel I'm thinking of.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Well i just binged this from the end of the anime to the current chapter. I had caught up to it before way back when the anime originally aired but only up to where the military/political stuff with the royal family was starting. Anyway i didn't remember much and it's a lot better than I remember it being.

One question, I don't really understand how Ymir turned back into a human after being a titan. I get she ate someone with titan powers, but who?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

She ate Bert and Reiner's (and presumably Annie's) friend Marcel, one of the shifters Marley sent to infiltrate the walls. Shows up in their flashbacks every now and then.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Considering her regular titan form is identical to her shifter form I bet that was before Isayama had come up with the 9 titans part of the plot. Unless Ymir's titan literally just lets you control your normal titan form in which case lol

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

mabels big day posted:

Well i just binged this from the end of the anime to the current chapter. I had caught up to it before way back when the anime originally aired but only up to where the military/political stuff with the royal family was starting. Anyway i didn't remember much and it's a lot better than I remember it being.

One question, I don't really understand how Ymir turned back into a human after being a titan. I get she ate someone with titan powers, but who?

It's really a bunch of coincidences. Despite sharing a name with the founder of the Titans, Ymir was named so for a religious purpose on the Marley mainland. She and her priests and followers were rounded up as part of a suppression campaign, and sent to Paradis. The head priest mistook one of the scouts as his Ymir, which was why he spoke.

Shortly before the fall of Shigashina, Bert, Reiner, Annie, and a fourth infiltrator, were quietly moving through a forest, and were ambushed by a mindless Ymir. The former 3 made it to the gates, and started working on their plans. Ymir untransformed, infiltrated the city on her own, and joined the military.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

RatHat posted:

Considering her regular titan form is identical to her shifter form I bet that was before Isayama had come up with the 9 titans part of the plot. Unless Ymir's titan literally just lets you control your normal titan form in which case lol

Have we been shown anybody's mindless form and shifter form before? I feel like all the shifters we know so far have been introduced as shifters and haven't been shown obtaining their powers (except armin but he hasn't shown his transformation yet).

I think it's worth noting that everyone with the attack titan has looked quite similar to themselves so it's not outrageous to assume that ymir's shifter form would look similar to her mindless form (which we know are supposed to resemble them as humans). Again I don't think we have anyone else to compare wrt mindless vs shifter appearance so it's hard to call what is or isn't a retcon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JahRoo posted:

Have we been shown anybody's mindless form and shifter form before? I feel like all the shifters we know so far have been introduced as shifters and haven't been shown obtaining their powers (except armin but he hasn't shown his transformation yet).

I think it's worth noting that everyone with the attack titan has looked quite similar to themselves so it's not outrageous to assume that ymir's shifter form would look similar to her mindless form (which we know are supposed to resemble them as humans). Again I don't think we have anyone else to compare wrt mindless vs shifter appearance so it's hard to call what is or isn't a retcon.

I think the only ones are Eren and Armin, and we haven't seen Armin's shifter form yet.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

I feel like I'm going crazy because I just now read through all of volumes 9 and 10 looking for it, and cannot for the life of me find the panel I'm thinking of.
I did some more searching and finally found the panel buried in chapter 41. It was indeed Bert that looked like he was about to bite his hand.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I did some more searching and finally found the panel buried in chapter 41. It was indeed Bert that looked like he was about to bite his hand.

I honestly don't know how I passed that panel despite rereading that scene like 5 times. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

I honestly don't know how I passed that panel despite rereading that scene like 5 times. Thanks.

He's easy to look past lol