Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:negative: No! Disgaea is terrible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

packetmantis posted:

:negative: No! Disgaea is terrible!

:objection:

Disgaea is really fun! And this isn't adding grinding to this game, it's adding a cool idea that expands the gameplay!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

StrixNebulosa posted:

:objection:

Disgaea is really fun! And this isn't adding grinding to this game, it's adding a cool idea that expands the gameplay!
Before I forget, we're redtext friends now.

Even if I'm changing mine soon.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Before I forget, we're redtext friends now.

Even if I'm changing mine soon.

Yes, we are! Hello!

I'm probably stuck with my redtext for a while as I'm far more likely to spend my limited fun things budget on games or books. May it be a tribute to how boneheaded some people can be with their money.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've been thinking that mechanic would be cool in a roguelike for a while (and people told me to wait for the later Disgaeas to make it to PC) so through the sheer force of 4 AM whim you just got another backer

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

I too enjoy roguelikes and all these people are working on look quite cool!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Dunno if this is the right thread to ask this but anyone pick up and have opinions on Flinthook? Watching a stream it looks like a much easier Rogue Legacy with a grappling hook

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Tangledeep looks like a cool game so I'll probably play it anyway once it's released, but I absolutely hate that art style.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I was about to suggest that someone needs to make a crab RL but there's already DCSS

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There's no crab species, only fire crabs (breathes fire) and APOCALYPSE CRABs (breathes seething chaos) as enemies.

Caves of Qud has a lot more crabs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

resistentialism posted:

I was about to suggest that someone needs to make a crab RL but there's already DCSS

Someone needs to make an underwater RL where you play as crab, squid, octopus, shark, etc.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

taqueso posted:

Someone needs to make an underwater RL where you play as crab, squid, octopus, shark, etc.

We need to go Deeper DLC?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ecco the Dolphin: the Roguelike

Splatted my best dolphin yet on an OOD Eight Arms :(

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

taqueso posted:

No stair hunting because you're in the fuckin' ocean. You should be able to ascend or descend from any tile (unless you're in a cave I suppose).

Just keep swimming, your air gauge goes down when you aren't passing water through your gills by moving.

Multi-tile sea creatures.

Dolphin Hard Mode

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
E.V.O. Search for Eden Kinda count if losing half your xp and start over on the current stage satisfy your RL demand.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nyaa posted:

E.V.O. Search for Eden Kinda count if losing half your xp and start over on the current stage satisfy your RL needs.

Best unknown SNES game imo

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

NewForumSoftware posted:

I would pay an unreasonable sum of money for an EVO roguelike with IVAN's sheer variety of body configurations, material types, and comical ways to die.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

I would pay an unreasonable sum of money for an EVO roguelike with IVAN's sheer variety of body configurations, material types, and comical ways to die.

You could probably do this as a Caves of Qud mod. Replace mutations with growing different body parts and materials with "equipment" attached to those body parts.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Or a special class that get special 'limbs' equipment drops from monster.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nyaa posted:

Or a special class that get special 'limbs' equipment drops from monster.

Play as a character from Axe Cop, mutate every time something bleeds on you.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Tangledeep is really awesome right now, really looking forward to the completed package! I looked at using Unity for my little project but ended up going with straight C++ and some supporting libraries. I should really check it out again, at the time I didn't feel like writing my own console and couldn't find a decent one already out there.

Speaking of which, progressing on my thing. Have it building (and running!) on Windows/Mac/Linux which is nice. Also, it supports pathing using A* now.

I was reading up on Dijkstra maps last night and holy moley they are the swiss army knife data structure for roguelikes. Just tons of cool things you can do with them.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

orphean posted:

Tangledeep is really awesome right now, really looking forward to the completed package! I looked at using Unity for my little project but ended up going with straight C++ and some supporting libraries. I should really check it out again, at the time I didn't feel like writing my own console and couldn't find a decent one already out there.

Speaking of which, progressing on my thing. Have it building (and running!) on Windows/Mac/Linux which is nice. Also, it supports pathing using A* now.

I was reading up on Dijkstra maps last night and holy moley they are the swiss army knife data structure for roguelikes. Just tons of cool things you can do with them.

This is looking amazing!

Btw Zirconmusic, were you originally a member of EO community back in the day? I would PM you this but you dont have PMs :11tea:

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

orphean posted:

That's good advice! In my case I'm not trying to push the envelope or anything but if I could make it generate a couple different types of dungeons, more organic caves, decent looking clutter, liquid pools, and the ability to include prefabs (e.g. Crawl's vaults, etc) I'd be pretty happy.

Don't even know what I'm going to do for AI yet, thinking about adding in Lua and having all the behavior be softcoded state machines or something.

Fun gameplay is probably a higher priority than cool rooms like the guy said BUT also you should check out Incursion's rooms because they are fuckin fantastic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Samog posted:

Fun gameplay is probably a higher priority than cool rooms like the guy said BUT also you should check out Incursion's rooms because they are fuckin fantastic

Don't underestimate how closely related they are, terrain has a huge influence on how you play (and on what strategies work) in a roguelike.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

orphean posted:

I should really check it out again, at the time I didn't feel like writing my own console and couldn't find a decent one already out there.
I got u fam

https://gist.github.com/darktable/1412228

I use it myself. Unormal showed it to me a while back.
pre:
Provides a game-mode, multi-line console with command binding, logging and watch vars.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Don't underestimate how closely related they are, terrain has a huge influence on how you play (and on what strategies work) in a roguelike.

Terrain is the #1 most-important least-appreciated element of interesting game design imo, and I really wish everyone spent more time on it. I credit FFT for teaching me that the most important thing a videogame can have is the ability to punch a man off of a rooftop so extra bonus points for willingness to deal with elevation, and this is super rare in roguelikes.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

NewForumSoftware posted:

EVO is such an incredible game. EVORL sounds like a great 7drl idea.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Irony.or.Death posted:

Terrain is the #1 most-important least-appreciated element of interesting game design imo, and I really wish everyone spent more time on it. I credit FFT for teaching me that the most important thing a videogame can have is the ability to punch a man off of a rooftop so extra bonus points for willingness to deal with elevation, and this is super rare in roguelikes.

I think there's an early-ish map in FFT where you go up against a bunch of archers on top of some pyramid like shantytown and they just whomp on you.

If I recall, the very first map after the prologue, where you start as level 1, is the one where you can easily punch people off of buildings. They must have been proud of that feature, "make sure to put it in the first level!"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You could probably do this as a Caves of Qud mod. Replace mutations with growing different body parts and materials with "equipment" attached to those body parts.

Cogmind?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's amazing how many people come through here talking wistfully about some game they don't think exists

but they're actually describing Cogmind

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think there's an early-ish map in FFT where you go up against a bunch of archers on top of some pyramid like shantytown and they just whomp on you.

If I recall, the very first map after the prologue, where you start as level 1, is the one where you can easily punch people off of buildings. They must have been proud of that feature, "make sure to put it in the first level!"

Not quite. Dorter Trade City is like the ... fourth stage maybe? And it only has one archer up there (but he's a jerk). I always liked having to deal with and plan around challenges like that though, especially since it's well before you get Ignore Height or Teleport.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Currently playing through FFT 1.3.0.8, am enjoying this convo

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

The idea I've had forever is to try to do a Darklands inspired roguelike. The depth and writing of Caves of Qud seems to support the idea that it's possible. If only I had the time...

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

orphean posted:

For everybody else who hadn't heard of "Dijkstra maps": run Dijkstra's algorithm to find the distance in steps of every node from a goal node and cache the result. The resulting "matrix" can be used to find the shortest path from any node to the player by repeatedly choosing the neighbor with the lowest value (duh, this is a shortest path tree). The creator of Brogue noticed that these maps can be combined in AI by subtracting or multiplying the values at each node per map according to priorities (e.g. goblins prefer picking up gold vs attacking the player) and combining maps by taking the minimum at each node. RougeBasin has a page visualizing these "summed" maps

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

That whole article by Brian Walker is a must read if you have any interest at all in my opinion. By the time I got to desire driven AI I was basically the epitome of :vince:

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

the worst thing about Dijkstra's algorithm is that he worked it out in about twenty minutes on a napkin and I will never be that smart

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Prism posted:

Not quite. Dorter Trade City is like the ... fourth stage maybe? And it only has one archer up there (but he's a jerk). I always liked having to deal with and plan around challenges like that though, especially since it's well before you get Ignore Height or Teleport.

Right, but the Gariland battle is right at the beginning and has a bunch of houses to fight on top of.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dropping in to say there's an hour left to back Tangledeep! All the stretch goals have been hit, to boot! :D

e: Aaand it's over! Funded, all stretchgoals, and I'm excited!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 20, 2017

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Damnit madjackmcmad and the roguelikes thread... You cost me 15bux.

Congrats on the succesfull Kickstarter, zirconmusic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Herbotron posted:

the worst thing about Dijkstra's algorithm is that he worked it out in about twenty minutes on a napkin and I will never be that smart

I think it's just the sort of thing he realized because he was already using it a bunch for pathfinding. It's the kind of idea that requires some insight to think up that seems really obvious in hindsight.