Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

nothing to seehere posted:

C Seriously guys, we need the money.
We can ask her about lottery number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Nyaa posted:

This seems antithetical to her ... well, whole being.

"Gimme Freebies!"

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Nyaa posted:

Cannon_Fodder posted:

"Gimme Freebies!"

Indeed. If you want riches, then vote for option A.

--

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Replacement question: "How do I kill a Goddess?"

Wrong entity to ask. The right one would be the first Emperor, Rim.
Quackeen would probably just get upset anyway.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

"Gimme Freebies!"

Call it "investment". We love to buy upgrade. We are job creator in a rare industry of extracting monster bits for profit that positively add into the overall wealth and getting rid of these economic deterrent.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Replace "who is Panacea?" with "Who or what is stirring up the yetis?"

Changed.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 18, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cornuto posted:

Replace "who is Panacea?" with "Who or what is stirring up the yetis?"

How about "What is the broader conspiracy that connects the Lord of Rust, the destruction of the factory town, the kobold mines, and the yetis?" We know there's something larger brewing here.

How do I obtain more ethereal material like the cupcake rose?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

There Bias Two posted:

How about "What is the broader conspiracy that connects the Lord of Rust, the destruction of the factory town, the kobold mines, and the yetis?" We know there's something larger brewing here.

How do I obtain more ethereal material like the cupcake rose?

Yes, I like yours better.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
1) What are the most efficient contracts to take in the next few months so that I may satisfy my debts?

2) How do I get un-banished from Mountainhome?

3) What don’t I know about Nazom Stegeth?

4) How do I get more ethereal components for cupcakes?

5) Will Abigail be the ruin of ITEC?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

CourValant posted:

1) What are the most efficient contracts to take in the next few months so that I may satisfy my debts?

2) How do I get un-banished from Mountainhome?

3) What don’t I know about Nazom Stegeth?

4) How do I get more ethereal components for cupcakes?

5) Will Abigail be the ruin of ITEC?

1. The ones that bring the most value for money.

2. Resolve your feud.

3. A lot.

4. This is actually a good question.

5. You're going to get a yes/no, and also Abigail is good how dare you

Sapphira
Apr 7, 2006
C

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Abigail's a loose cannon but she gets results.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Dealing with Trolls
The Zbat Cave
Month 3, Week 4, Day 2
Early Afternoon

You take but a moment to contemplate her offers, before you retaliate with one of your own.
You wish for two questions instead of four, and in lieu of those two questions a guide to a breeding pair of Zbats instead of a guide to all of them in general.

“You would decline the riches offered here and now, for but a chance to earn some more, later? You spurn immediate wealth, and in its stead seek answers?
Truly you have embraced the essence of greed; to go beyond base satisfaction. I approve. For it is never enough and always our desire continues.

T̝̣̟̫̓̍ͭͮ͗͢ͅh̨̲̙̹͕̻̺͊͛͐̏̉ͤ̽͡ę̏̿̂͋͊͗ͯ͢҉͔̺̦ ̲̟̲ͪ͜͡B̵͎̤̠̯͇͕̝ͤͧͥ̍ͫͣ͆͟a͋͛̓ͩ҉̜̗͔͍̫̱͇̩r̶̺̖̜͓̬͈̫͇̻͛̿͢g̹̫̦͉̩̭̪̻̓͗ͨ̈̆ͨͩͤa̞͎̹̘̱̗̭ͨ̕ͅi̯̱̳̤̰̱̦̾̐̐n̅͌̀ͧͨͪ̈͘͏͉̩ ̡͚͕͑̌̕I̵̹͍̦̗̼͋̐͌͌̕͟ş̎̔ͨ̽ͤ̏͏̦̟ ̡̝͚̲͍̹̤͇̙̃̌̒͑̔̎̆̆̐S̷̡̨̬̞͔͎̠̰̼̖̲̎͗͆͗̓̂͌̚t̵̫̺̫̠̠͙͓͔̊̀̋͑̎r͍͚̤̫̻̖͈̪͚͋ͬͦ̕uͫ͂̓̈́̂͋͏̲̥͜c͙̜̼ͯͨͥ̑ͮ̉̎͘͜ḵ̩̤͉̩͌͊̎͛̎ͪ̈́.̥͇̟̺̳̹͐ͩͬ̆ͫ̇͜

A force unlike anything you have experienced envelops you, fills your world with blinding, golden light. You open your eyes past the strain and through sepia-toned void catch a glimpse of Power beyond reckoning.
A gaping maw of primal lust, forever yearning to earn, own and consume. Golden threads pull at you and all that you are, bending even the firmament around you into the darkness at its core in a never-ending strain of desire.

A thin, blue cord coming from within you and attached to yourself is all that keeps you from falling into oblivion. It is frayed. It is torn and damaged but it has been tied up haphazardly, and that is enough.
The thin blue cord, in all its meekness compared to the vast entity that towers above you is infinitely stronger. It will protect you.

As soon as it begins the vision fades, the golden light washes over you and a voice as warm and comforting as the grave informs you that:

You come to your senses. The items you had placed on your make-shift altar is gone, and in their place lies a strange metal container.
Something within shakes when rattled and you instinctively know that you are to give the contents to the monstrous dog when you next encounter it, and that it will not interfere in the coming battle.

You squeeze your thumb against your index- and middle- finger, a holy sign of Quackinite devotion, and give a small courteous nod to the air roughly above your shrine and turn to your compatriots, readying yourself for what is next.
Still shaken by the magnitude of your encounter.

---

[Battlefield Primer]
The dark gray, broken hexes, represent the structure of the cave and are impassable without the use heavy explosives or mining picks and a lot of hard labour.

The dark brown, jagged hexes represent thick fields of stalgmites. Passing through them takes up all movement for the turn. Being passed through them or onto them forcibly, weather you are thrown or pushed, deals damage to the recipient.
If an action is taken to hide within, they will act as light cover, providing a small bonus to defence.

The light brown, gray-white-speckled hexes are dirty cave floor filled with guano. They impede movement only slightly but make certain types of acrobatics much harder to accomplish and muffle footsteps to some degree.

The black, white-speckled hexes represent unknown territory that is in all probability still guano filled, with all what that entails.

---

[Reach primer]
All ITEC fighters have a reach of Meleé unless otherwise noted. This means they can attack an enemy in situated in the adjacent hex-ring.
A wooden spear has a reach of 1, meaning it can attack enemies in the hexes adjacent as well as the ones in the ring beyond that.
A sling has a range that is dependent on user skill (of which your companions have nearly nil) and dexterity, (which is highly variable amongst those present).
You can expect most of ITEC to be able to reliably hit a target between 1 and 3 hexes away, with accuracy dropping of exponentially after that, even though they could probably throw the stones up to 6 hexes out if pressed.
A bandit-quality repeating crossbow has an accurate range of 4 hexes, but can shoot further at a penalty increasing with distance and can fire twice in one round.
Skvababts longbow can reliably hit anywhere on the battlemap.
Trolls hate innate reach 1 with their meleé attacks due to their long arms and can presumably hit anywhere they want with a thrown boulder.

---

[ITEC Pre-Battle Summary]
Overall morale is high on recent victories and weary of bats.
You are lightly injured, having suffered through many bat-claws and bat-teeth. You are lightly fatigued. You fight with a dwarven battle-axe and shield. You are unarmoured. You are covered in gore.
Kvelar: is lightly injured. He is lightly fatigued. He Fights with an Heirloom master-crafted dwarven battle-axe and shield. He is unarmoured. He is covered in gore.
Abigail: Has a scraped knee. She is lightly fatigued.. She fights. Sometimes with a wooden quarterstaff. Sometimes with a greatsword. She has a bandit-quality repeating crossbow. She has a quiver of Salmonster-Teeth arrows.
She is unarmoured. She is covered in gore.
Tommy: Is thoroughly scratched and has a minor shoulder injury. He is lightly fatigued. He fights with a great club, but has a sling as well. He has decent quality leather armour that has seen better days. He is covered in gore.
Konnie: His ear has been nibbled. He is lightly fatigued. He dual-wields fine quality daggers. He wears Bog-Standard Military Surplus Leather Armour. He has a bandit-quality repeating crossbow and a quiver of Salmonster-Teeth arrows.
He is covered in gore.
Khami: He has been lightly injured. He is lightly fatigued. He wears chain mail under his torn robes. He fights with expertly crafted iron chains. He is covered in gore.
Johakim: He is freshly scarred. He is lightly fatigued. He prefers not to fight. He has decent quality leather armour. He is covered in gore.
Skvababt: Is battered and bruised. She is lightly fatigued. She fights with a wooden longbow. She wears “leather” armour that you assume she maintains herself. It is missing an arm. She has a quiver of Salmonster-teeth arrows.
She is covered in gore.

There are two large forest-trolls in the distance, but they have not yet noticed you.

---

[ITEC Notable Items and Inventory that you might have conceivably brought with you]
03 x Flasks of highly pressurized acid
05 x Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes
01 x Pouches of Flash-Heat-Powder
01 x Large Bags of Flash-Heat-Powder
01 x Crate full of Ultra-Bright Torches.
01 x ??? Flute
01 x Koboldian Crown of Leadership.
01 x ++waspable stone right gauntlet++

Your rations are Superb. – Conferring a bonus to morale when traveling.
Your supplies are Superb. – Conferring a variety of minor bonuses to adventuring.
Your equipment is in great shape. - Conferring a variety of minor bonuses to monster hunting activities.

If you have need of it, and it is an object readily available for adventurers of no substantial value, it can safely be assumed that you have it with you should you so desire. Examples include nets, lanterns, rope, grappling hooks etc.
You may trade in one "tier" of equipment status for a substantial bonus to a task, representing a piece of highly specialized equipment bought for that purpose. The bonus depends on the tier(s) lost and the object(s) obtained.

With patience and skill, you have snook upon the Trolls and prepared an ambush.
You may place the ITEC recruits present (Tommy, Konnie, Johakim, Khami, Yourself and Kvelar) on any non-impassible hex on the battlefield within hexes H1/V1 to H8/V8 and P9/V9 to P11/V11.

1: The battle will begin at your mark. How do you wish to proceed?

A: Plan Kvelar
Spread out, hide melée combatants in the southern middle stalagmite fields and the archers in the southwest corner fold of the cave – When the trolls run into to smash the archers the meleé people attack from behind.
Good initial shock, low chances of detection.

B: Plan Tommy
Hide the Meleé people in the stalagmite fields on opposite sides of the funnel to the southwest corner fold and have the archers engage in a fighting retreat to the narrower parts of the cave south of you.
When the trolls pass, they will be instantly flanked and the archers can pepper them at their leisure.
Great initial shock, medium chance of detection.

C: Plan Skvababt
Hide archers in the southern middle stalagmite field and someone else wielding a pouch of flash-heat-powder in the northernmost middle stalagmite field.
The archers fire a volley of arrows which is then followed by the powder that is ignited with an ultra-bright torch. The resulting explosion should stun the trolls, letting the meleé combatants rush in to finish the job before the trolls retaliate.
Substantial shock, high risk, use of limited resources. Skvababt will suffer heavy penalties to hit after the first volley, but she is betting on that more will not be needed.

D: Something Else?
Write-in.

--

Party thoughts:
Konnie: “Hit them hard and fast, then book it before they retaliate. We can't stand up to them in a straight fight."
Kvelar: “An ambush is our best shot at this, we play it by the book. Using powders or acids brings to many unknowns into this already difficult equation."
Johakim: “Attack them at range or not at all. Use traps but sparingly, if the acid misses or doesn't kill them we will have even bigger problems on our hands. Do not engage in meleé. I cannot stitch together pulp."
Abigail: Unavailable for comment (playing with a good dog)
Khami: “Size brings both great benefit and hardship."
Skvababt: “Oh yes, Mr. Ironscript. Konnie has the right of it. We should do them hard and fast, leaving them broken, dazed and confused. Only then do we end them. Mhm. It will be magnificent.
Tommy: “Explosives might damage us as well as them, use them only as a last ditch effort. They may be large, but aside from that boulder they appear unarmed. Flanking them should do most of the work."
Owlbear Cubs: “Hoot, hoot!" (Bring us food!)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
B

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Can't we dig hole pit trap?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nyaa posted:

Can't we dig hole pit trap?

The trolls are down the other end of the hall. How could we possibly dig a hole quietly enough?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
C

Also, "snook"

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

There Bias Two posted:

The trolls are down the other end of the hall. How could we possibly dig a hole quietly enough?
We go back further up the cave and lure them in or as plan B when they chase us.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe we could get a giant dog to do it.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

D take positions as in B, but set a trap in the funnel using the pouch of flash heat powder and rush in after it was detonated with a torch.
How explosive is the powder, would that endanger our melée fighters?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Plan C: Flash a z-bat at their eyes and make them disoriented

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

So the plan can be as follow:
1) C to blast all the max archer advantage at them
2) Run back to trap hole/mini bomb if they are still tough enough to retailate the melee
3) Flash z-bat at them to make them miss a lot and club them to death

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Guys wearing a z-bat for a necklace. I don't think showing him a z-bat is going to have all that much effect.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I dount they are immune to it biologically, so surprise flashing might work?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

C

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Also, once the flash powder ignites, the melee fighters are to throw one acid vial at each troll.

Depending on the Troll's reaction (i.e., if they're too shocked to react), follow-on with the third acid vial to the large Troll, then hack them down to bits.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CourValant posted:

Also, once the flash powder ignites, the melee fighters are to throw one acid vial at each troll.

Depending on the Troll's reaction (i.e., if they're too shocked to react), follow-on with the third acid vial to the large Troll, then hack them down to bits.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Guys don't you think the dog is going to be really sad if we kill its master?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Abigail is the master now.

poo poo, we don't even know if the trolls ever called it a good dog.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

dont be mean to me posted:

Abigail is the master now.

poo poo, we don't even know if the trolls ever called it a good dog.
Oh for Quackeen's sake, I didn't even consider this.

We got that 'thing' to insure the dog will not interfere with the fight. It's a truly horrifying thought if Abigail were to keep the 'good dog' afterwards.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

. . . and also Abigail is good how dare you
I don't like Abigail. Never have, never will. :colbert:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

CourValant posted:

Oh for Quackeen's sake, I didn't even consider this.

We got that 'thing' to insure the dog will not interfere with the fight. It's a truly horrifying thought if Abigail were to keep the 'good dog' afterwards.

I don't like Abigail. Never have, never will. :colbert:

:sever:

Looks like we're parting ways, CourValant

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

:sever:

Looks like we're parting ways, CourValant

Awww, don't be like that, I still like you! :love::love::love:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The only love allowed in this thread is frog.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Nyaa posted:

What happened to cat.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

dont be mean to me posted:

What happened to cat.
There's no cat here.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The dog will be a fine addition to our menagerie of stupid things to own.

We really need a beastmaster now.

FOOF and fearsome beasts. A winning combo if I ever heard one.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Outrail posted:

FOOF and fearsome beasts. A winning combo if I ever heard one.
I thought it was FOOF the fearsome beasts, which is our business model?

Nyaa posted:

Actually, have we ever talked about this? The state of inter-racial-species-whatever relationships in the Empire?

Is it in fact acceptable for a Dwarf to love a Frog in Rim?

CourValant fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

If half-elf and half-orc is a thing...