Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm really glad that turned out well in the end. Here's to Mike.

Pourin' a 40 out for Mike tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Was it at the shop this whole time? Did they charge you a storage fee?

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

T1g4h posted:

I'm probably gonna be the odd man out but that is loving hideous. That awful rear valance and the giant rear end wheels are ruining it for me :argh:

You aren't alone. I think it's an abomination.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Typical One perCenters! :argh:
Photos sent to me by a friend at a car show, hence the terrible framing.

There were a lot of puns exchanged during my text conversation with him. I am not ashamed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There were a lot of puns exchanged during my text conversation with him. I am not ashamed.

Every time I see a Town Car of my generation I wonder if they fixed the catching-on-fire part yet.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

T1g4h posted:

I'm probably gonna be the odd man out but that is loving hideous. That awful rear valance and the giant rear end wheels are ruining it for me :argh:
Thank you, yes, it's disgusting. It's got that "melted bar of soap" thing going on and that's just no good.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Talk about on the money.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like a cheap way to lower your ride.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MullardEL34 posted:

Two years ago, my freshly restored 1962 Corvair Monza Sedan was trashed by a drunk driver.

This afternoon, I finally drove it home from the body shop. :unsmith:

It needed a new rear quarter, dogleg, section of the rocker panel, door, rear suspension arm, axle and wheel bearing, wheel, and tire. the door pillar had been pushed in about an inch.
The process of locating a rust free quarter panel and door took most of the time.
The body shop did an absolutely amazing job and the drunk's insurance just cut a $5500 check to pay for it. All I have to do now is replace the hubcap and beauty ring that was destroyed in the impact and mount the rocker panel trim that I never got a chance to install before the accident.
This car has special meaning to me because the local Corvair expert who guided me through the restoration (IE did most of the work) died of ALS about 8 months after the accident. This was his last Corvair restoration. Insurance was originally going to total the car and offer us $4500 but I wouldn't let that happen.

I'm so glad it lived :unsmith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

Nice job fighting for it MullardEL34. Insurance companies wanting to write off a restoration are one of the terrible evils in our world, and I'm glad you didn't let them get away with it.
Yeah, good job. I have some stuff where if an insurance company tried to do the "we'll take it for assessment (and write it off)" they'd just be politely told "no".

Penny Lane Interstate.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The Locator posted:

Nice job fighting for it MullardEL34. Insurance companies wanting to write off a restoration are one of the terrible evils in our world, and I'm glad you didn't let them get away with it.

4500 for a pristine corvair, is that in any way a fair price? Because if so then sign me the hell up.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

As Nero Danced posted:

4500 for a pristine corvair, is that in any way a fair price? Because if so then sign me the hell up.

The classic car investor/Barrett Jackson crowd hasn't gotten interested yet so there are still deals to be had, and the Corvair seems to have had a high survival rate. I paid $800 for this car (and another $10k to restore it lol) The fact that it was a rust free Arizona car and still had the rare optional 102HP engine made it worthwhile to me at least.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MullardEL34 posted:

The classic car investor/Barrett Jackson crowd hasn't gotten interested yet so there are still deals to be had, and the Corvair seems to have had a high survival rate. I paid $800 for this car (and another $10k to restore it lol) The fact that it was a rust free Arizona car and still had the rare optional 102HP engine made it worthwhile to me at least.

Insurance offering $4500 for a car that just had $10,000 dropped into a restoration is what is evil. I'm sure that in the condition it was in (and is now in again) it is worth far more than they offered you as a settlement initially.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Get agreed value on anything >25 years old (probably less).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or use an insurance company that actually understands classics.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Every time I see a Town Car of my generation I wonder if they fixed the catching-on-fire part yet.

The intake/carb are big causes of this. Replace them with a tbi set up from a slightly newer one and never worry again. My wife's never wanted to start cold and I probably kept the starting fluid company in business i took so much. Mind you this was 18 year old me. Now that bitch would have an ls motor and turbos.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but what would you do about the car?

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

My vote for 'Most Beautiful Car Ever Made'.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This just popped up on Facebook, so I stole it and cross posting it because holy poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finger Prince posted:

This just popped up on Facebook, so I stole it and cross posting it because holy poo poo.

In today's "Rejected Mad Max cars", we have this example.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Finger Prince posted:

No radiator? :confused:

please be real/functioning

e: if it's a fake that's some amazingly executed weathering

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Guessing it's rear-mounted flush with the angle of the tail, probably with the fans set up to pull air from the cabin through the radiator and out and under.

E: This is what happened to it before it's new life as an off-road vehicle back in may of 1994:

THE NTSB posted:

On May 17, 1994, at 1645 Pacific daylight time, a Rockwell Commander 112A, N1349J, was substantially damaged during a forced landing near Henderson, Nevada. The private pilot and his two passengers were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the personal flight. According to the pilot, he departed runway 18 and a shallow right climbing turn was initiated after the gear was retracted. A 200 rpm loss was experienced and a gradual degradation of engine power was observed without any sign of vibration, detonation, backfiring or sputtering. The loss of power continued to the point where the airplane could not maintain altitude. The pilot elected to turn towards a busy highway, but had to veer away to avoid colliding with vehicles on the highway. The airplane touched down on the left shoulder of the roadway with the landing gear extended. Prior to coming to a stop on the desert floor, both main landing gears collapsed after impacting a drainage ditch. The reason for the loss of engine power could not be determined.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 20, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FBS posted:

No radiator? :confused:

please be real/functioning

e: if it's a fake that's some amazingly executed weathering

There's water pipes going to the reat of the plane body.

meatcookie posted:

No argument here. If it loses it's only to the Muira

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The exhaust on that is amazing.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Upon further review it seems 100% legit to me. (via http://www.imgrum.org/user/cooper514ci/2344541697 )

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The exhaust on that is amazing.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
it has a loving 12ga as a loving shift lever. :perfect:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Toyota Starlet

Front of a Soarer

They had paper tags in the window but I presume it was Washington state. Was close enough to the border it could have been B.C. though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I made a very rough estimate that there are about 18,000 coins on this car, which works out to only about a hundred pounds (and $180 obviously). That's a lot less than I expected.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Due to their uninform size, ease of acquisition, appealing color, and near zero value, pennies are amazing for basically everything that you can think of. Except, of course, in exchange for goods and services

And speaking of Mad Max, here's some Australian men bringing the corpse of a car to life https://youtu.be/feIFOpnCPSs

E: is that pounds as in the imperial unit of weight, or pounds as in the GBP. I don't remember the Dollar being so weak, but almost $200 in pennies feels like it should be more than 100lbs

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 20, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Due to their uninform size, ease of acquisition, appealing color, and near zero value, pennies are amazing for basically everything that you can think of. Except, of course, in exchange for goods and services

And speaking of Mad Max, here's some Australian men bringing the corpse of a car to life https://youtu.be/feIFOpnCPSs

E: is that pounds as in the imperial unit of weight, or pounds as in the GBP. I don't remember the Dollar being so weak, but almost $200 in pennies feels like it should be more than 100lbs

A penny weighs 2.5 grams. 20,000 pennies weighs 50000 g or 50 kg. That's about 110 pounds.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
Playing with a gopro on the race car at a match race this weekend. This track is in the hills of western Virginia. There are no running water toilets (wtf). There is a dirt track off to the left side of the drag strip towards the finish line (you can see people standing on the guardrail of the dirt track) It's pretty crazy, but it pays so we turn the car down and make a couple of passes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7v54ksuD1E

We are lined up against Gary Pritchett (Leah Pritchett's husband if you follow NHRA) He's also Bunny Burkett's step-son, driving her car.

Here is shot of the front of the car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

^^^ That's an awesome car! That siren would get kind of annoying pretty quick though. :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Protect and Serve hand model is goatse guy???

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

No ring, 6/10.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

meatcookie posted:

I dunno, looks like a retarded red frog to me

iospace posted:

In today's "Rejected Mad Max cars", we have this example.
On the other hand, it was accepted into carmageddon:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno, looks like a retarded red frog to me

turn on your monitor

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

turn on your monitor
It's on, I was by mistake looking at nudes your mom sent me

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Found this looking for something entirely unrelated:

Click through for ginormous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I saw a Huayra the other day.

I actually saw it twice in the span of about 15 minutes. Both times it was next to a moving truck, which of course tried to yell out the window "nice car!!!". It was everything I hoped it could be.

It sounded... weird? It was only going ~15-20mph, but it definitely did not sound like what I would expect, compared to, say, a Ferrari or McLaren at the same speed, which sounds like what you think they would.

Also here's a bad picture of a 997 GT2 RS in honor of page 727. Also a Singer 911.