Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

icantfindaname posted:

Late 19th century Germanophobic nationalism is no longer in the vogue?
No this is Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Late 19th century Germanophobic nationalism is no longer in the vogue?

Do you even know what Russia is?

e: Beaten like a gay Chechen.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Why did Russia change Leningrad back to St. Petersburg instead of objectively more patriotic name of Petrograd?

Why does my spellcheck have Leningrad but not Petersburg?

Petrograd was an imperial fad that replaced the city's original name of St. Petersburg that it bore for a bit more than 200 years. Petrograd as a name did not sit well with the locals, and with the change of government the city got promptly renamed to honour Lenin (or, more specifically, to truck along with Soviet agenda against religion and monarchistic tendencies and so on, all of which St. Petersburg and Petrograd did represent). In early 90s, majority of city's population voted for change of the name back to its historical roots, and so the big government did.

As to your spelling check, its just American technology, I assume. Not even a month ago I listened to an American entrepreneur talking about their supply chain in Czechoslovakia.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
chechen gay. so what

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Tolstoy/anti-Napoleon/Great Patriotic War 1 nationalism was more liberal, as opposed to the current fascist Eurasian nationalism. Putin doesn't dislike Merkel because she's German, but because she's a liberal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SaltyJesus posted:

chechen gay. so what

Is there a map that shows places where gays officially don't exist? I know Chechnya and North-Korea are two but there must be more. I'm assuming one or more -stans and some Middle-Eastern countries at least?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is there a map that shows places where gays officially don't exist? I know Chechnya and North-Korea are two but there must be more. I'm assuming one or more -stans and some Middle-Eastern countries at least?

E:

E2:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 20, 2017

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Right, but which countries insist that they literally don't exist within their borders.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One of Britain's many legacies in the Caribbean and East Africa. :(

SaltyJesus posted:

Right, but which countries insist that they literally don't exist within their borders.
Iran has definitely pulled the 'Western invention of homosexuality' thing and claimed non-existence.

Uganda has pulled the Western invention too, but does not claim non-existence because they keep publishing lists.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SaltyJesus posted:

Just the North Korea, probably, since Chechnya is not a sovereign nation and every other suspect appears to have laws on the matter, implicitly admitting the existence of homosexuals.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

every other suspect appears to have laws on the matter, implicitly admitting the existence of homosexuals

This would be a solid argument if cognitive dissonance weren't the bread and butter of people who would claim something like that. "They don't exist but we must have those laws because <reasons>." :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Usually "to prevent foreign homosexualists coming here and spreading propaganda."

Propaganda including perfidious falsehoods like "gay people already exist in this country." :bahgawd:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Guavanaut posted:

Usually "to prevent foreign homosexualists coming here and spreading propaganda."

Propaganda including perfidious falsehoods like "gay people already exist in this country." :bahgawd:

excellent choice of smiley, particularly because that one always looked to me like it was sucking invisible dick (e: or should I say non-existent har har har)

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
It's not official government stance, but South Korean super-conservative types often pull the "gayness is a foreign Western corruption" thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Aren't most South Korean super-conservative types Catholic or Methodist, both of which were viewed as foreign Western corruptions themselves upon their introduction.

Or are there some traditional Buddhist super-conservatives? I know the Tibetan traditionalists are opposed to the anus.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Aren't most South Korean super-conservative types Catholic or Methodist, both of which were viewed as foreign Western corruptions themselves upon their introduction.

yep. As usual, xenophobic nativist conservatives don't always make a whole lot of sense.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Guavanaut posted:

One of Britain's many legacies in the Caribbean and East Africa. :(

India too. The part of the legal code that makes homosexuality illegal there is from 1860.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Tolstoy/anti-Napoleon/Great Patriotic War 1 nationalism was more liberal, as opposed to the current fascist Eurasian nationalism. Putin doesn't dislike Merkel because she's German, but because she's a liberal

Yeah, in fact Putin is a big East Germany fan.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, in fact Putin is a big East Germany fan.

I recently watched a documentary about STASI and they interviewed some Russian ex-KGB dudes and they all said they were really loving impressed back in the day at the degree to which East Germany spied on its own citizens.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kassad posted:

India too. The part of the legal code that makes homosexuality illegal there is from 1860.

homosexuality is banned in sharia law, is it not? pretty sure india was run by muslims before the brits got there

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Why did Russia change Leningrad back to St. Petersburg instead of objectively more patriotic name of Petrograd?

Why does my spellcheck have Leningrad but not Petersburg?

It was St. Petersburg for over two centuries and Petrograd for less than a decade.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TinTower posted:

The hell's happening in Galicia?

When you live next to a forest, is easy to imagine the next town is enchanted and filled with ghost, or maybe that witches still exists. Even more if the weather make so is raining too often and large parts of the territory are below thick fog.

So Galicia is basically that. Is a frontier place, and the frontier is with the realm of the imaginary.

Somewhat like Florida (where everything is possible), or the world in Princess Mononoke, or the videogame Alan Wake.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Jerry Cotton posted:

I recently watched a documentary about STASI and they interviewed some Russian ex-KGB dudes and they all said they were really loving impressed back in the day at the degree to which East Germany spied on its own citizens.

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently when Putin was stationed as a KGB agent in Dresden back in the eighties he was pretty impressed/horrified that the KGB had significantly less agents in all of East Germany than the Stasi had in the city of Dresden alone. It's not clear exactly how many IM (Inoffizielle Mitarbeiter, "inofficial employees") they had, but at the end of the GDR the ratio of IMs to overall GDR citizens may have been as high as 1:89 - though there were significant regional differences. That doesn't include the AKP (Auskunftspersonen, "informants") though; in the city of Rostock 18% (!) of the population was registered as actual or at least potential AKP. 5% of all SED party members were IM, too. poo poo was insane.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

System Metternich posted:

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently when Putin was stationed as a KGB agent in Dresden back in the eighties he was pretty impressed/horrified that the KGB had significantly less agents in all of East Germany than the Stasi had in the city of Dresden alone. It's not clear exactly how many IM (Inoffizielle Mitarbeiter, "inofficial employees") they had, but at the end of the GDR the ratio of IMs to overall GDR citizens may have been as high as 1:89 - though there were significant regional differences. That doesn't include the AKP (Auskunftspersonen, "informants") though; in the city of Rostock 18% (!) of the population was registered as actual or at least potential AKP. 5% of all SED party members were IM, too. poo poo was insane.

They also had pretty amazing tech (for the time). Like smell libraries. Smellaries?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

icantfindaname posted:

homosexuality is banned in sharia law, is it not? pretty sure india was run by muslims before the brits got there

India was run by some 500 different states until independence, and many had Muslim princes, many Hindu and some Jain

In any case, I don't think hyperconservative Hinduism has been any more tolerant towards homosexuality than Victorian or Muslim morals were

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

icantfindaname posted:

And? The Mughals still didn't write the legal code that's in use in India today.

Ras Het posted:

In any case, I don't think hyperconservative Hinduism has been any more tolerant towards homosexuality than Victorian or Muslim morals were

Oh no, they're really not. It's just that defending colonial laws shows that they're hypocrites when they claim it's about Traditional Indian Values and not them being bigots.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Tei posted:

Somewhat like Florida (where everything is possible), or the world in Princess Mononoke, or the videogame Alan Wake.

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high...
http://www.rawstory.com/2014/03/florida-man-has-sex-with-pit-bull-in-his-yard-as-neighbors-beg-him-to-stop/
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby...
http://www.wftv.com/news/trending-now/florida-man-tries-to-buy-human-skin-on-facebook/512495377
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue...
http://www.floridasunpost.com/nassau-county-man-high-meth-cuts-off-genitals-feeds-alligator/
And the dreams that you dare to dream...
http://www.local10.com/news/florida/face-eating-suspect-austin-harrouff-apologizes-to-victims-families-in-newly-released-video
Really do come true...
http://www.floridasunpost.com/tampa-man-loses-testicles-trying-fill-scuba-tank-weed-smoke/?sc_ref=twitter

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kassad posted:

And? The Mughals still didn't write the legal code that's in use in India today.

Oh no, they're really not. It's just that defending colonial laws shows that they're hypocrites when they claim it's about Traditional Indian Values and not them being bigots.

the point is that pre-colonial native indian law codes, muslim and hindu alike, persecuted homosexuality without any british influence at all

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

After a bar fight, man return with a full body swim suit and harpoon the other guy.

Detained guy piercing wheels because "theres not enough air in the world".

Street signs

We give motherfucker bold dog or we would pay for somebody to remove it.

Bank Robber guys detained in carnival when they return to the bank dressed as police and thiefs and pretend to steal the cash
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...03G14P19991.htm

Galicia often produce the type of nonsensical news that have made Florida famous. Galicia is like the original Florida. Is a great place with great people and amazing food.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 20, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It came from Facebook:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It came from Facebook:

My dear god. :staredog:

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
History repeats itself as Florida Hitler is brought to his knees by the New England winter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

They also had pretty amazing tech (for the time). Like smell libraries. Smellaries?

They certainly were at the forefront of disguise technology.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It came from Facebook:

That's... a lot closer to accurate than I ever would have imagined such a thing to be.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i too believe voting power should be distributed according to wealth and income instead of universal man/womanhood

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

steinrokkan posted:

They certainly were at the forefront of disguise technology.

That's actually from a themed costume party at the Stasi HQ in Berlin were people were supposed to dress up as typical “enemies of the state“ which apparently included football players, ballet dancers and whatever that is on the right - members of the party youth organisation maybe? They had blue shirts iirc, but I have a hard time believing that the FDJ would have been especially critical of the regime. I remember another photo of the same party where one Stasi agent was dressed up as a clergyman, too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

System Metternich posted:

whatever that is on the right - members of the party youth organisation maybe?

According to the original label it's a "peace protester"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It came from Facebook:

on that note

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010