Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Still haven't experimented with sauces although the past several posts about making a pepper mash sound really promising and I have access to a juicer at my house. Might make a carrot juice base to use with my habeneros.

Do it, it's fun and it's kind of like an elementary school science project when you're waiting for the peppers to ferment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Pooper Trooper posted:

Re: mustard talk from a few pages back, how come no UK goons recommended this beauty?

I was eating it by the spoonful when I was there

I'm a UK goons and I've never seen that in any store before. Can you remember where you saw it?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
How long do dehydrated peppers keep? I have some Peruvian habaneros which are about at eight months in the jar now. I think they have lost a little bit of kick over time, but they still look just fine. Is there anything to watch for other than visible mold?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Frankston posted:

I'm a UK goons and I've never seen that in any store before. Can you remember where you saw it?

I've seen it in the American-food section of larger Tescos.
e: Tesco's website says it's 'not available', but Ocado sells it: https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Beaver-Hot-Jalapeno-Mustard/94935011

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 7, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pioneer42 posted:

How long do dehydrated peppers keep? I have some Peruvian habaneros which are about at eight months in the jar now. I think they have lost a little bit of kick over time, but they still look just fine. Is there anything to watch for other than visible mold?

Nah, but when you cut them open to use them, peep the insides. I've had peppers mold from the inside out before.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

The Midniter posted:

Nah, but when you cut them open to use them, peep the insides. I've had peppers mold from the inside out before.

Yeah it sucks, they mold on the inside but look great from outside. I had to toss out so many when dehydrating.

I've got some really old ones saved (like 4 years) and they're still fine. If they aren't sealed properly they will slightly re-hydrate and turn super hard but I haven't seen any visible mold.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I usually freeze them as they ripen then use a dehydrator when I have enough for a batch to turn into powder/flakes in a food processor.

I agree on freezing. Pick them as they ripen as he said and you can freeze immediately. That way you can have all the fruit off a single plant at uniform ideal ripeness. I make sauce so I just do one big thaw when I'm ready. Freezing and thawing softens the pepper somewhat too.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Yeah it sucks, they mold on the inside but look great from outside. I had to toss out so many when dehydrating.

I've got some really old ones saved (like 4 years) and they're still fine. If they aren't sealed properly they will slightly re-hydrate and turn super hard but I haven't seen any visible mold.

Thanks, good advice. I actually halved them prior to dehydration for that very reason.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh man this "Gator hammock swamp gator hot sauce" is super duper good! Might be a new favorite!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
This is my current fav sauce:

Not really as hot as the label would lead you to believe, but VERY flavorful and delicious. I think some grocery stores carry it now, or if you're lucky enough to live close to a Nando's restaurant they'll sell it to you there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

Oh man this "Gator hammock swamp gator hot sauce" is super duper good! Might be a new favorite!

I just went on a hot sauce shopping excursion at the local Bass Pro store and got a bottle of this. haven't opened it yet but good to hear it's quality.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

That's what I sent to my secret santa. It's quality stuff!

Speaking of which, my guy got in a new supplier of affordable alligator jerky. So hopefully my next secret santa will get that under their tree ;p

And god drat I need a saturday off so I can go to the local market and pick up my new favorite vinegary sauce. This is my JAM right here.

http://banddsauceco.com/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 12, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If you live near a Firehouse Subs, they have a surprisingly decent selection of non-basic hot sauces! It's a great way to try new sauces and see which you like.

e: skip the food though, it's almost subway tier

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 13, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you live near a Firehouse Subs, they have a surprisingly decent selection of non-basic hot sauces! It's a great way to try new sauces and see which you like.

And they usually have them rated 1-10.

They were my first exposure to the travesty that is capsaicin extract.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Suspect Bucket posted:

Speaking of which, my guy got in a new supplier of affordable alligator jerky. So hopefully my next secret santa will get that under their tree ;p

And god drat I need a saturday off so I can go to the local market and pick up my new favorite vinegary sauce. This is my JAM right here.

http://banddsauceco.com/

:eyepop:
Gator jerky! That sounds awesome.

Gonna have to order a bottle of that B and D now to give it a try.

http://southernjerkyco.com/ these guys have some great hot chicken jerky and jalapeño Yazoo beer beef jerky. They're like a few blocks away from where I work so most of my friends got sampler packs for xmas last year.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

:eyepop:
Gator jerky! That sounds awesome.

Gonna have to order a bottle of that B and D now to give it a try.

It's gator mixed with beef. It's pretty tasty and a nice novelty gift. Straight up gator jerky runs you like 18 bucks for a 3oz packet.

Deffo order that sauce! I had the Smokey Birds sauce, posted the wrong picture. It had a fantastic tang and an almost limey sweetness in with the smoke.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Go to Tijuana Flats and sample their hot sauce bar too. And the food is fantastic. Just order the nachos, eat nachos and hot sauce, and before you leave, ask if you can have some chips to go. They will straight up give you a whole fresh brown bag of tortilla chips sprinkled with whatever magical spice and salt mix they use, FOR FREE.

They also serve beer.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 13, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jmcrofts posted:

Not really as hot as the label would lead you to believe, but VERY flavorful and delicious. I think some grocery stores carry it now, or if you're lucky enough to live close to a Nando's restaurant they'll sell it to you there.

I love Peri-peri. Nothing quite matches the fruitiness.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

What's everyone's favorite hot sauce for wings? I'm grilling some next weekend and want to try something new.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

RisqueBarber posted:

What's everyone's favorite hot sauce for wings? I'm grilling some next weekend and want to try something new.

You cool with waiting for shipping? Cuz this stuff is my jam right now

http://heatonist.com/hot-ones-hot-sauce/

I also made some jerk wings by marinating chicken wings with this stuff, and they were perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Aardvark-Drunken-Jerk-Sauce/dp/B00AIR3MZK

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Jmcrofts posted:

The grocery store we go to has regular extra hot and even my wife who is not into hot sauce loves it. It's great but I'm spoiled by how cheap Valentina is so I don't use it as often as I would like. We still ran through the bottle really fast.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

RisqueBarber posted:

While it's not as hot or unique as some of these, Valentina goes well in wing sauces.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

You cool with waiting for shipping? Cuz this stuff is my jam right now

http://heatonist.com/hot-ones-hot-sauce/

I also made some jerk wings by marinating chicken wings with this stuff, and they were perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Aardvark-Drunken-Jerk-Sauce/dp/B00AIR3MZK

Yeah, I can wait on shipping. Wings are my favorite food and my girlfriend loves spicy things so I need to up my game.

Ben Nevis posted:

While it's not as hot or unique as some of these, Valentina goes well in wing sauces.

I've only used Valentina for bloody marys but I'll try it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I've never seen pepper shrinkage either, but again I just roll with it. The peppers do get softer as they ferment so you can squeeze more in there if you want. I haven't tried doing that though, nor have I tried putting them in direct sunlight.

I was going to tell you to try other peppers besides red jalapenos but I see you're already doing that. I've done it with red fresno peppers and green jalapenos as well and it worked on both, the green jalapenos turned out particularly well. Gonna try some long hots next. Also, try the peanut sauce recipe near the back of that book!

Update! I gave the chiles 2 weeks to ferment, then added the vinegar and threw them in the food processor. I tried it afterward and...holy poo poo I did not expect it to be that salty. I mean, yeah, you add a lot of salt during the process, but the book said you could use it as a sauce right away and I don't see how.

However, I did make the peanut hot sauce you suggested. I'm not a huge fan of hoisin but the end product was quite tasty; the peanut did not clash with the heat like I thought it might. Making your own hot sauce is fun! :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Update! I gave the chiles 2 weeks to ferment, then added the vinegar and threw them in the food processor. I tried it afterward and...holy poo poo I did not expect it to be that salty. I mean, yeah, you add a lot of salt during the process, but the book said you could use it as a sauce right away and I don't see how.

Don't eat the mash straight but it's good if you mix it into stuff like during cooking. If you want a proper hot sauce you take the mash and mix it with vinegar and other stuff, I like to add a bit of sugar and garlic. Honey is also really good in place of the sugar, you just need something to balance out the heat a bit.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

e:f/b

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jmcrofts posted:

It's really really medium heat. Can't say I liked it that much, but not much of a Nandos fan anyway.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Suspect Bucket posted:

For real though, it's not all that spicy but the black pepper and other floaty bits make this a fuckin' killer hot sauce. I was literally dipping my sandwich in a cup of it.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Spuckuk posted:

It's really really medium heat. Can't say I liked it that much, but not much of a Nandos fan anyway.

I bought some of this recently, because of recommendation ITT.

It's everywhere in the UK, as is Nando's, which is a pretty average chain restaurant, though it's hard to get peri-peri chicken too wrong. There's a lot of snobbery about the place because of its ubiquity and that silly 'cheeky' nonsense.

Sauce is a bit hotter than 'medium' (I am not as hardcore as most here maybe), but yeah, I'd describe it is a spicy sun-dried lemon sauce with a hint of garlic, because that lemon is the overwhelming flavour, but I'll be hosed if it's not absolutely delicious. Seriously. Not sure what sort witchcraft sun-drying imparts, but it works for tomatoes, and it seems lemons too.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A tale of two island hot sauces:

The one on the right is commercially produced on Barbados, and the one on the left I bought from an old lady at a road-side stand in Saint Thomas.

The Barbadian sauce is tangy with medium heat, and nice pepper flavor. But it's thickened with cornstarch... WAY, WAY too much cornstarch! It's a bitch to get out of the bottle, you can't drizzle it on anything, and it has the mouthfeel of lovely Chinese food.

Oh, but that other one... SO MUCH FLAVOR. Again, medium heat, but very strong herbal flavor (thyme), and tons of Jamaican Pimento (allspice, not listed on the label, but it's in there!). It's so yummy, that last night I whisked a little into some oil and vinegar, and made a spicy salad dressing out of it.
If you ever go to St. Thomas, see if you can find Lucia, her stuff is great.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If anyone here is into Nando's peri peri sauce, my local Fred Meyer has it for $1.39 on closeout. They're out of Hot and Hot Hot, but they still have Medium and Garlic. I just picked up two bottles of garlic and one medium, but there's plenty more and I'd be willing to ship it to you for cost.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If anyone here is into Nando's peri peri sauce, my local Fred Meyer has it for $1.39 on closeout. They're out of Hot and Hot Hot, but they still have Medium and Garlic. I just picked up two bottles of garlic and one medium, but there's plenty more and I'd be willing to ship it to you for cost.

thanks for the heads up ill stop and look at my local store tonight

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'll take some. I would take a bottle of garlic and medium. If they have it I would take 2 of each. That way I can share with a friend.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flaggy posted:

I'll take some. I would take a bottle of garlic and medium. If they have it I would take 2 of each. That way I can share with a friend.

I'll make sure they still have some tomorrow.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's been fairly cool, like 60F. I should've mentioned the instructions are to loosely cap the jar so the water can fizz out.

The full process was: mash up 2lbs of peppers, stir in 1/4 cup pickling or sea salt (thinking back I just used Morton's), then let them sit out overnight, uncovered. Next day put in the jar and wait.

Morton's ...iodized salt?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

For real though, it's not all that spicy but the black pepper and other floaty bits make this a fuckin' killer hot sauce. I was literally dipping my sandwich in a cup of it.

Yeah, it's more like Tiger Sauce. It's pretty approachable as far as sauces go. Do yourself a favor and dunk some fried shrimp or fish in that stuff. Or roasted veggies.

pr0k posted:

Morton's ...iodized salt?

I think they may have meant

?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 23, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

That's what I use. Don't use iodized salt because the iodine will inhibit the sort of microbial growth you want for fermenting.

Also BONER since we're using the same technique I'll give you a tip I learned yesterday- the chloride compound in tap water is designed to not boil off, so if you have a Brita filter or other charcoal filter for water use the liquid out of that. Chloride doesn't play well with bacteria either.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah I didn't type that very well, did I? It was the Morton's pickling salt.

C-Euro posted:

Also BONER since we're using the same technique I'll give you a tip I learned yesterday- the chloride compound in tap water is designed to not boil off, so if you have a Brita filter or other charcoal filter for water use the liquid out of that. Chloride doesn't play well with bacteria either.

Huh, that's good to know, thanks!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I bought some Captain Rodney's Corazon del Fuego Hot Sauce tonight thinking it'd be spicy since it has scotch bonnets in it.... And it really wasn't. Granted, they're about fourth on the list after some sweeteners and vinegar. Still, I figured it'd have a little heat to it anyway. I got nothing really. Tapatio has more heat.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just got a bottle of Secret Aardvark Drunken Jerk sauce in the mail. This stuff is great, I can't wait to put it on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

Just got a bottle of Secret Aardvark Drunken Jerk sauce in the mail. This stuff is great, I can't wait to put it on everything.

That stuff is everywhere in Oregon, and it's amazing. Try all of their products - I haven't been disappointed yet.