Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Haven't been in this thread for a year at least, what is this, how does it work?
I don't think I've brought it up in the thread, primarily discord and PMs with a few people. It's an interactive map (think google maps but gta5) to help newer goons get acquainted with where everything is at and to coordinate stuff with (helps if they have a secondary monitor and play in borderless window mode)

I needed a project to help pass time with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

They did in fact refund the purchase price of some cars. I just got a refund of 2,583,447 crime bucks!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

UserErr0r posted:

I don't think I've brought it up in the thread, primarily discord and PMs with a few people. It's an interactive map (think google maps but gta5) to help newer goons get acquainted with where everything is at and to coordinate stuff with (helps if they have a secondary monitor and play in borderless window mode)

I needed a project to help pass time with.

Ah, fancy. I've been trying over several hours to get to where I can navigate the city by memory without looking at the minimap or GPS. For 3, VC, and SA I had that no sweat. I had a good chunk of GTAIV memorized as well.

But for some reason GTAV is a little more difficult to memorize for me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
No bullshit: If you want to learn LS, turn your HUD and radar off. First-person optional, but suggested. You will learn landmarks because you have to.

we did a bunch of 1p-locked no-hud, no-radar heists and missions a while ago and it helped me learn a ton of routes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GTAV is orders of magnitude larger and more complex than 3/VC/SA and ton bigger than 4, not to mention New York is grid based and Southern California is whatever-the-gently caress based.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

3, VC & SA had no GPS. That's why you knew the cities better. You'd learn which parts got you no-where quickly.
I've gone back into 5 and just driven around, as I felt like I always just drove through some areas on GPS without taking it in fully.
The game world is amazing when you try to just get around by signposts / knowledge.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Khablam posted:

3, VC & SA had no GPS. That's why you knew the cities better. You'd learn which parts got you no-where quickly.
I've gone back into 5 and just driven around, as I felt like I always just drove through some areas on GPS without taking it in fully.
The game world is amazing when you try to just get around by signposts / knowledge.

Also, when you stop following the GPS you realize that the GPS route is not nearly the most efficient route a lot of the time. making 6 left and right turns zigzagging through the city is a lot slower than going straight for 4 blocks then making a single left, two straight shots to the destination. The GPS does a lot of poo poo like that.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the gps follows traffic laws and prioritizes main roads if you're wondering why it does that

basically just like irl unless there was recent contruction. which reminds me of one of the funnier shortcuts in gta3

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I dunno, I feel like I know (in a very general sense) at least the major areas of San Andreas and how to get to them. If I were in Rockford and needed to go to Sandy Shores I could get there without the GPS, but maybe navigating within Los Santos itself would be a bit of a problem. And that's even after using the GPS.

But then I don't stick strictly to the GPS, I'll glance at it but I'm mostly just navigating by general cardinal direction. But then I've also spent some time riding a bike around the map in first-person where you have no GPS or even minimap.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I should just turn the map OFF. I spent about two hours yesterday driving my bike in first person around but for some reason it wasn't staying in memory. I finally got to where I know the route from "home" (Weasel Tower) to the Del Perro Pier but that's about it. The rest is, "I know the docks/industrial are to the west so if I head that way..."

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Got something in the works and this inspires me to stipulate a no radar rule. Would you guys hate it? I'd love it but I don't get to play my own games.

Thief posted:

the gps follows traffic laws and prioritizes main roads if you're wondering why it does that

basically just like irl unless there was recent contruction. which reminds me of one of the funnier shortcuts in gta3

Where did you get this info? As far as I can tell it's nearest marked land route with only u-turns taken into consideration, which, where it'll give you them tend to be highly illegal places to do one.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the gps wont go the wrong direction down 1 way streets which greatly affects the pathing

any other corner cutting is because the distance is either equal or like .0001 miles shorter. on paper in clear traffic conditions it will technically appear to be the most efficient route

edit: the gps doesn't care about traffic conditions like some modern ones do irl

it does care about where you are and which direction you are travelling which can have an effect

i'm not looking up some dev press release detailing the coding. i used to do pizza deliveries and uber/lyft in an inner city environment for years and i can assure you that the gps in game is working as intended, the only real meaningful difference is that it route calculations are absolutely immediate

it wont surprise me if in future sequels things like traffic jams or construction become a more common gameplay element with the news radio station mentioning them

Thief fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 19, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A route with a dozen turns that's two inches shorter will still take precedence over a two turn straight away.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I'm not sure if some of the players in this are a) literal babies at their parents' computers, b) very primitive attempts at bots or c) next-level trolls.

Like, try a heist with randoms. Watch one of your teammates stand there and fire all of his ammo into the ground while the other one takes a car, drives off, ends up in water and drowns.

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 19, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Thoughtless posted:

I'm not sure if some of the players in this are a) literal babies at their parents' computers, b) very primitive attempts at bots or c) next-level trolls.

Like, try a heist with randoms. Watch one of your teammates stand there and fire all of his ammo into the ground while the other one takes a car, drives off, ends up in water and drowns.

It's quite often literally children. Especially on the consoles.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

to be fair i was like 8 years old when i was playing the first GTA when it came out

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

BitBasher posted:

making 6 left and right turns zigzagging through the city is a lot slower than going straight for 4 blocks then making a single left, two straight shots to the destination. The GPS does a lot of poo poo like that.

The GPS navigator is no more than a shortest path (in distance) algorithm
And GPS navigation devices usually don't assume you're going to be going 100mph down that zigzagging business district

UserErr0r fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 20, 2017

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

UserErr0r posted:

The GPS navigator is no more than a shortest path (in distance) algorithm that factors in the direction you're facing.
And GPS navigation devices usually don't assume you're going to be going 100mph down that zigzagging business district

Oh I know, but for things like races with checkpoints a ways apart you will flat out win by knowing the routes instead of following the GPS.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

thats one of the many reasons why this game is one of the best street racing games even though the physics are so cartoony

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone have a PC key for either steam or the rockstore store that I can buy for cheap ? Stupid game is $70 Canadian and I've already purchased it twice for 2 different consoles.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

BitBasher posted:

Oh I know, but for things like races with checkpoints a ways apart you will flat out win by knowing the routes instead of following the GPS.

Races that don't have the next waypoint in your immediate view from the previous waypoint are bad races

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I did a 30-man cannonball run where I discovered three miles towards the next checkpoint that you respawn when your car dies, even if you're still alive, even if it's a GTA race.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The returning players rebate has given me enough cash, once I source enough vehicles for the discount, to get the Ruiner 2000, is there anything else worth considering? I am tempted to get a Benny's car, especially the Spectre, or the X-80 proto.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The spectre is a solid car if you absolutely want to go Benny's. I'm getting the money to upgrade an Itali GTB because I've heard nothing but good things about that one.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The other thing I meant to post is I quite fancy the Rocket Voltic or maybe the Phantom Wedge or Blazer Aqua.
Edit: I also forgot that the Spectre and Benny's upgrades are on sale right now.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Anime_Otaku posted:

The other thing I meant to post is I quite fancy the Rocket Voltic or maybe the Phantom Wedge or Blazer Aqua

rocket voltic should be your first choice

outside of the special missions the blazer aqua and phantom wedge are basically gimmicks but the rocket car is 100% worth it

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Anime_Otaku posted:

The returning players rebate has given me enough cash, once I source enough vehicles for the discount, to get the Ruiner 2000, is there anything else worth considering? I am tempted to get a Benny's car, especially the Spectre, or the X-80 proto.

Do you have a Buzzard because if not you need one to make some real money.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Are there any people that'd get the rebate that wouldn't have a Buzzard? Anyway, I got the Spectre and the Voltic.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What do people use Buzzards for? I only use air stuff to get around in free mode a bit faster than cars. But I'll almost always call for a Merryweather pickup before I drive to a Pegasus pickup point.

Voltic is so much dumb fun. Find anything that points the nose up. And enjoy.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Ziploc posted:

What do people use Buzzards for? I only use air stuff to get around in free mode a bit faster than cars. But I'll almost always call for a Merryweather pickup before I drive to a Pegasus pickup point.

Voltic is so much dumb fun. Find anything that points the nose up. And enjoy.

Vehicle import, it's much faster to get to the car and then back to the office to source another car.

Also VIP work like Headhunter and Sightseer.

If you're not aware, a CEO can spawn the buzzard right next to themselves too so you don't need to go to Pegasus points.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The buzzard is fast transportation armed with rockets that, if you're a VIP/CEO, you can call directly to your location for free. Being able to hit a button and have an attack helicopter right there is most of the appeal.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Ziploc posted:

What do people use Buzzards for?

FPV trench runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S9iDfbEbqw

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Powershift posted:

It's quite often literally children. Especially on the consoles.

I remember watching my nephews playing GTA IV, and the youngest one was so uncoordinated he couldn't aim straight ahead and was always aiming at his feet. So he started making his own fun by throwing sticky bombs and firing rockets at his feet and killing himself over and over again.

I think that goes a way towards explaining how random pubs are so lovely in GTA Online.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
cancer.png

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wow, you've found a channel worse than the "CAN X STOP THE TRAIN IN GTAV" guy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhicD4PQM-U Tiny Racers

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
hold me closer, tiny racer

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I hope it works better than when it was in GTA3 because that poo poo sucked and was pointless.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Geez, just remake GTA2 in HD while you're at it, Rockstar. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm just guessing here, but that's probably just a regular combat-plus-stunt race where you get an optional overhead camera like you get with the not-Tron bike mode. I doubt they lock your camera.

• Locked thread