Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
How is station rotation working? Every time I've joined the last few days it's been Cog1. I don't hate Cog1, but I definitely prefer Cog2 and woudl like to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It is going to be cog1 until the server population bounces back up.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Nakar posted:

I am 100% sure the entire reason whoever sprited and coded them in did so because they wanted people to be thrown through them.

Now we just need the same thing with windows.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I've definitely seen people thrown into windows and the windows breaking as a result. Can't recall any time someone was thrown *through* a window, though.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

How is station rotation working? Every time I've joined the last few days it's been Cog1. I don't hate Cog1, but I definitely prefer Cog2 and woudl like to go back.

The issue with cog2 at the moment is that it doesn't cope well with low-pop rounds. If there's less than around 20 people the station starts feeling very deserted because it's too big for that playercount.
This in turn leads to less people joining or sticking around and all of a sudden we have a negative feedback loop.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

Nakar posted:

I am 100% sure the entire reason whoever sprited and coded them in did so because they wanted people to be thrown through them.

It was about 50/50 "glass tables are pretty" and "throwing people into glass tables is funny" tbh (shout out to Gannets for spriting them for me!)

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I've definitely seen people thrown into windows and the windows breaking as a result. Can't recall any time someone was thrown *through* a window, though.

it doesnt' help the windows usually have rods reinforcing them either

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Haine posted:

It was about 50/50 "glass tables are pretty" and "throwing people into glass tables is funny" tbh (shout out to Gannets for spriting them for me!)

I never get tired of that avatar.

What's the deal with birds, anyhow? Occasionally I'll see them flood the station without warning, squawking up a storm. Are cockatiels valued chef ingredients now?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I played this game once (probably on a goonstation server) a few years ago.

I was a quartermaster, I tried to use a remote controlled robot to deliver some goods to someone, ran over myself knocking myself unconscious. I thought my colleague would save me but instead he shoved me into space somehow.

I'm not entirely sure if this is actually what happened, it was my reading of events through a terrible internet connection and an utter lack of understanding of the game. A fantastic time!

I've been meaning to try again sometime and now I live somewhere with an actual internet connection maybe I will have to give it a shot.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ChickenHeart posted:

I never get tired of that avatar.

What's the deal with birds, anyhow? Occasionally I'll see them flood the station without warning, squawking up a storm. Are cockatiels valued chef ingredients now?
Haine really likes birds.

Seriously, that's why.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

All birds will be replaced with robotic birds.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds

Nakar posted:

Haine really likes birds.

Seriously, that's why.

Yeah basically just this. They've always been my favorite animal and I like spriting stuff, so I just kinda naturally end up spriting birds when I'm bored and can't think of anything better. Then I add them to goonstation because I hope to one day transform it into Bird Station 13. Also because playing as a crow that yells at people to do drugs is funny to me.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Haine posted:

Yeah basically just this. They've always been my favorite animal and I like spriting stuff, so I just kinda naturally end up spriting birds when I'm bored and can't think of anything better. Then I add them to goonstation because I hope to one day transform it into Bird Station 13. Also because playing as a crow that yells at people to do drugs is funny to me.

I gave haine the avatar. I've also repeatedly murdered said crow.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds

frodnonnag posted:

I gave haine the avatar. I've also repeatedly murdered said crow.

Thank you again!

Also Drug Crow's fate is to die, either by door or angry spaceman. They cannot escape this fate.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
While not very original by SS13 standards, I have a fond memory of being an antagonist and making a copy of the garbage compactor from disposals. I set up a new compactor in the middle of a hallway and set up a cloaking field to hide it. Then made up a story and called on the radio for urgent security and medical help. As people came running down the hallway to my rescue, they would suddenly turn into a fine bloody mist.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I've played SS13 in a deacde, since the ring station. My favorite game was as AI traitor where I achieved all my objectives by doing nothing but helping other people ruin everyone's lives.

It was always fun when the game would stop for thirty seconds then half the station was either on fire or no longer there. One time that happened and I saved (part of) the station by figuring out on the fly how to set up the solars. It worked!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 20, 2017

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Haine posted:

a crow that yells at people to do drugs

me IRL

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
one time on rear end day haine made half the station birds and the other half traitor staff assistants, long story short i was a cockatiel that stunned a guy with a flash and stole his c-saber and led him on a merry chase round the station

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 20, 2017

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Haine posted:

Thank you again!

Also Drug Crow's fate is to die, either by door or angry spaceman. They cannot escape this fate.

Never forget the Crowpocalypse.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

one time on rear end day haine made half the station birds and the other half traitor staff assistants, long story short i was a cockatiel that stunned a guy with a flash and stole his c-saber and led him on a merry chase round the station

Ooh, I have a story related to this!

Up until recently, players couldn't be animals: due to limitations on how they were coded, any critters we had could only be controlled by AI, not players (with some very specific edge cases that were basically admin-only). For a while we had code in place for playable critters, but very little had been ported to it yet. Then MBC set up playable mice one day, and I kinda latched on to that base and went hog wild and ported a bunch more animals, like cats, dogs, possums, etc. (And birds, yes.)

In celebration of all the new things players could be, I joined a round just about to restart, and told everyone that next round they should latejoin because there were going to be a lot of :siren: !!!fun new job choices!!! :siren: for that round.

So the new round begins, and a few people have readied up. It's nuke. The ops are immediately worried because they can hear the announcement computer rattling off a slew of new crewmembers joining up, all of whom are cats, or birds, or mice. They comment that they're sure they're going to die to all the animals. I scoff at the idea in asay, since the animals are all extremely fragile. A couple punches and any of them are dead, let alone a couple bullets.

I should have lowered my expectations, it turns out.

So the station is rapidly filling with various animals, some of whom are fighting with one another, some of whom are dying to doors or the few people on the ship punching them. Most are just wandering about and discovering what it's like to play as a tiny animal. The ops are making their way to Medbay, where they're supposed to set up the nuke. One of them nearly suffocates while getting out of the pod due to forgetting to turn on his oxygen, then they nearly lose or forget the nuke, as ops are want to do.

They manage to get into Medbay with minimal fuss and no alarm raised. They heal up and begin setting up the area - they build tables to block off people's access to their corner of Medbay, and more tables around the nuke (which they've tucked into one of the beds.) Somewhere around when they were nearly done with the tables, someone wanders by, sees what they're up to, and screams over the radio as they run off. The ops have a brief minute to realize they've tabled off the nuke without starting the timer, so they quickly have to deconstruct one and start it up.

Now, this was the very first round since these playable critters were added. I'm sure most regular players have encountered a wizard that knows Baleful Polymorph before, but this was the first time these ops had ever encountered the new animals, so they had no way to know something very important to their plan to block off Medbay with tables:

Small animals can move over them, and hide under them.

The ops barely have time to get their table back up before animals are pouring into the room. Cats, mice, dogs, and a rainbow of parrots, from every possible direction, scoot right over the poor ops' tables. The ops are in chaos for a minute as they wildly fire at the animals - very few shots land, most sailing over their heads. One of the ops is struck by some of the stray bullets, the others get bitten by the animals as they dart around the tables. Blood flies everywhere. Some of the animals get to the nuke and begin hitting it with whatever they can.

The ops quickly realize that guns aren't going to work, and they switch to melee. Most of the critters fall quickly. There was a problem, though. See, cats have nine lives. When they would normally die, they would check to see if they should ignore that death and use a life. Due to a bug in how this was coded for the new playable cats, they'd forget to actually die, regardless.

Essentially, the cats were all immortal.

The ops stood no chance, in the end. The cats would get up every time the ops managed to strike them down, and whittled away at the ops and the nuke until both were gone.

That was The Day The Station Was Saved By Cats.

(please note that my recollection of this event is a bit foggy so some details may have gotten mixed up with other goofy nuke rounds I've observed)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It's a good thing that Terror Birds have long since gone extinct and would never appear on a futuristic space station designed for scientific endeavours.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Haine posted:

The ops are immediately worried because they can hear the announcement computer rattling off a slew of new crewmembers joining up, all of whom are cats, or birds, or mice. They comment that they're sure they're going to die to all the animals.
I see the operatives were veteran players. And correct, in any event.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
My favourite critter moment was joining as a 'dirty prison rat' - literally a mouse that spawns in the brig bathroom.

Two convict lizards just so happened to spawn in the brig with me that round and we quickly became pals united against the racist security officers.

I managed to make a break for it when the captain opened to door to closely examine the dirty lizard criminals, and racked my tiny brain for a way to save my buddies.

Well it turns out that mice are naturally skilled at chemistry and are able to carry igniters and drag beakers of thermite at the same time....

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, Haine, can you code in the ability(and the related item) to dip parrots in caramel? And then when you apply said caramel dipped parrot to a crew member, have it give some remark in the chatbox about the applicator being a member of the parrot-rear end fanclub? I wanna see how many people get that really old reference.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds
I do not get the reference and just think you are weird now

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Haine posted:

That was The Day The Station Was Saved By Cats.

(please note that my recollection of this event is a bit foggy so some details may have gotten mixed up with other goofy nuke rounds I've observed)

How could anyone think this is not the best game?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Haine posted:

Also because playing as a crow that yells at people to do drugs is funny to me.
this is essentially the plot to Grief is the Thing with Feathers

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

monolithburger posted:

My favourite critter moment was joining as a 'dirty prison rat' - literally a mouse that spawns in the brig bathroom.

Two convict lizards just so happened to spawn in the brig with me that round and we quickly became pals united against the racist security officers.

I managed to make a break for it when the captain opened to door to closely examine the dirty lizard criminals, and racked my tiny brain for a way to save my buddies.

Well it turns out that mice are naturally skilled at chemistry and are able to carry igniters and drag beakers of thermite at the same time....

I was one of those lizards. It was great. You were the greatest of mice.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Haine posted:

I do not get the reference and just think you are weird now

It's an (apparently too) obscure reference to a speech Lowtax gave at the University of Illinois on how SA was founded. Here's the relevant bit.

Houka
Mar 27, 2014
A normal everyday round. A man named Space Prince is trying to wrangle a monkey for genetic testing, and I'm sitting there in genetics watching him. Deciding to be a goofball, I bring up the suicide prompt while next to those two chutes (this is Cog1 genetics) and then quickly stuff him into the chute and hit OK. It severs my head and sends him and my head into the closed disposals belt.

He ends up crammed in there with Mr Muggles, a riot launcher, and my severed head.

Mr Muggles picks up the riot launcher.

He accidentally grabs the monkey.

And this is what happened

Prince Space coughs!
Mr Muggles coughs!
Repeat x1000

Apparently smoke is affected by disposal belts, so he and the monkey got trapped on a tile with about twenty smoke entities, and every single time the game moved the smoke and them it set off the coughing reaction again. And the coughing reaction causes Oxy damage.

This is the story of how the Prince of Space got hotboxed to death by a monkey in the garbage dump of a space station.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Oh boy a new thread, time to log in for the first time in a year to see what I've miss-- :stare:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Zamujasa posted:

Oh boy a new thread, time to log in for the first time in a year to see what I've miss-- :stare:

Aren't you glad you have choices now?

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
If only it didn't take fell sorcery to get BYOND to run on Linux...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Let us select reversed fart/burp/scream sounds and I'm sold.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds

Houka posted:

This is the story of how the Prince of Space got hotboxed to death by a monkey in the garbage dump of a space station.

I love this stupid game :allears:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Please add random to screams and farts

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sordas Volantyr posted:

There's actually a thread about this and it is only slightly painful to do. Depends on what you're running, but it works for me!

Except you can't mess with Medibots :(

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Please add random to screams and farts

This.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sordas Volantyr posted:

That's what you get for running nerd cred at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Who made the sprites of the current goonstation? I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out what sort of hat the captain's hat is supposed to be.

A stetson with... golden stuff on the brim? Weird sci-fi headwear?