Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

credburn posted:

Yeah, twenty minutes because I'm really underleveled and also because I don't understand the upgrade system at all. Like...if I put in X items then MAYBE I'll get X multiplier for X weapon but upgrading may not be worth it because X weapon may only go to X level and require only X experience when you really put in X and that was way too much but it doesn't matter anymore now because your weapons all suck, you have no money, and you're really underleveled.

Anyway, I know this is kind of my fault for being underleveled and not getting it. I don't want to use a guide; is this game so confusing to other people? I swear I'm not dumb.

Anyway, yes, Barthalomus or...what his name is...it takes ME 20 minutes because of these reasons. It's a slow slog, but I know how to maneuver the paradigms to beat him. Hence why I can stay alive twenty minutes without dying.

I did beat him; I don't know what happened last time, but I suspect it went something like this: He cast his Laughter attack the very moment I killed him. During his death animation, lasers just shot out of all over the place and killed me; the menu was taken away from me, so I thought this was part of the deal. I killed him a second time and this didn't happen, so I guess it was just a weird thing...

Organic components increase your multiplier while mechanical components decrease it. Mechanical components grant extremely large amounts of experience once you have increased your multiplier. The basic idea is to use organic components until you have a 3x multiplier bonus and then use the high stack of mechanical components you can for the bonus. Always use mechanical items in multiples and not individually for best results.

The second weapon you pick up for each character generally has a stat weight that is biased towards the character's role. For example, Hopes second boomerang is weighted towards magic and Lightning's weapon is strength biased. Upgrading these basic weapons takes less EXP and will give you very high raw stats. More specialized weapons, such as ones who give ATB or debuff bonuses, require higher base EXP to level than the weapons that only grant stat boosts.

If you really want to simplify things, just upgrade the starter weapon for each character, except Hope and Vanille (use their second weapons). You'll have crazy high stats and that should help you through the bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

How do you get underleveled in ff13? Just hit the monsters on the way to the next cutscene and you'll hit the level cap?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The upgrade system doesn't even matter unless you want to take on the optional bosses. Unless you run from every fight there's no way to be underleveled at that point. It's all in the strategy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

That's the one thing about FFXIII's gameplay that I really appreciated: it was the first FF I can think of where buffs other than Haste really mattered, status effects were really useful, and debuffs actually exist. FFXII made a few steps in that direction (Bravery and Faith are great buffs when you finally get them and a few enemies are vulnerable to specific status effects) but XIII really ran with it.

It was definitely not the first final Fantasy where those things mattered

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Optionally: Find a walkthrough via Gamefaqs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

It was definitely not the first final Fantasy where those things mattered

I think what I mean is that it was the first one I could remember where they went beyond "this is useful" and into "this is essential," if that makes sense? Like most other FF games I could pretty reliably just use my hardest-hitting attacks and heal with Curaga and do just fine. The games definitely varied on how useful buffs were, I guess--Protect, Shell, and Haste kind of went back and forth on how necessary they were, like how they were nearly useless in FFIX because of their short durations, but Haste, at least, was critical in FFX.

What other FF had actual debuffs other than Slow? That's maybe the one that I was most surprised to see in XIII.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You can cheese the final boss in FF4, by not using magic attacks. His AI script retaliates against magic and it's like most of his damage potential.

There's a lot in Final Fantasy games that can be broken mechanically.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I discovered by accident that you can kill Kefka before he gives his final "hope, dreams" monologue. If you have a character with Quick in the queue when you kill the third form, they'll cast it at the start of the Kefka fight. You're in battle for a couple frames before Kefka starts his monologue, so it goes off before that. Since Kefka doesn't have all that much life (I think 60k?), it's easy to then kill him by hitting him 16 times with the Genji Glove/whatever the four-hit item is called combo. A few other people online have mentioned it, but it was fun to find on my own.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

credburn posted:

Yeah, twenty minutes because I'm really underleveled and also because I don't understand the upgrade system at all. Like...if I put in X items then MAYBE I'll get X multiplier for X weapon but upgrading may not be worth it because X weapon may only go to X level and require only X experience when you really put in X and that was way too much but it doesn't matter anymore now because your weapons all suck, you have no money, and you're really underleveled.

Anyway, I know this is kind of my fault for being underleveled and not getting it. I don't want to use a guide; is this game so confusing to other people? I swear I'm not dumb.

Anyway, yes, Barthalomus or...what his name is...it takes ME 20 minutes because of these reasons. It's a slow slog, but I know how to maneuver the paradigms to beat him. Hence why I can stay alive twenty minutes without dying.

I did beat him; I don't know what happened last time, but I suspect it went something like this: He cast his Laughter attack the very moment I killed him. During his death animation, lasers just shot out of all over the place and killed me; the menu was taken away from me, so I thought this was part of the deal. I killed him a second time and this didn't happen, so I guess it was just a weird thing...

how did you get underleveled, that's a feat unto itself

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
anyway, the game isn't gonna let you slog through most battles so i suggest hitting the level up max whenever you can, and upgrading weapons is pointless before the post-game so don't worry about it

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FactsAreUseless posted:

I discovered by accident that you can kill Kefka before he gives his final "hope, dreams" monologue. If you have a character with Quick in the queue when you kill the third form, they'll cast it at the start of the Kefka fight. You're in battle for a couple frames before Kefka starts his monologue, so it goes off before that. Since Kefka doesn't have all that much life (I think 60k?), it's easy to then kill him by hitting him 16 times with the Genji Glove/whatever the four-hit item is called combo. A few other people online have mentioned it, but it was fun to find on my own.

Genji Glove/Offering I think. Or Master's Scroll depending on translation.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Well, I don't know how I was underleveled. I had put in 42 hours when I reached the boss; I had to go back and grind, and when I was maxed out I returned to the boss and then finally beat him. My play time now is 49 minutes, so...I guess that may give an idea of how underleveled I was? But I never ran from fights! I don't know what I must have missed or skipped that allowed such a great lapse in experience. I thought one of the best things about this game was that battles were so long that they felt like each one kind of mattered, but now I wonder if they just took so loving long because I was dealing so low damage?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you really want to micromanage your characters in 6, you can get some insane stats if you keep their levels low. Basically just have them prioritize whatever stat they utilize most. Have Edgar and Cyan prioritize strength, Sabin, Strago, Setzer, Gau and Relm prioritize magic (bum rush scales off of magic, oddly enough), and you can mold your other characters in any way. You can have Terra, Locke, Shadow or Celes be strength based, or magic based depending on how you feel. Basically get them to where their basic attack does 9999 then start leveling them up with Bahamut so they get the HP bonus too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

credburn posted:

Well, I don't know how I was underleveled. I had put in 42 hours when I reached the boss; I had to go back and grind, and when I was maxed out I returned to the boss and then finally beat him. My play time now is 49 minutes, so...I guess that may give an idea of how underleveled I was? But I never ran from fights! I don't know what I must have missed or skipped that allowed such a great lapse in experience. I thought one of the best things about this game was that battles were so long that they felt like each one kind of mattered, but now I wonder if they just took so loving long because I was dealing so low damage?

Even without upgrading your characters OR accessories at all it's possible to finish that boss well under the time limit. (People do crazy low-level runs through the game.) It really is about optimizing tactics more than pure stats for anything but hunts.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
There's only 1 fight in the game where you should be worrying about the time limit if you play normally, and that's in post-game missions. Any other case, you'll need to change paradigms/teams/equips/play better.

Vargatron posted:

Also, keep attacking him when he does Thanatosian Laughter because it reduces the damage.

Destrudo*

Yeah I know, I'm being that guy right now

Sakurazuka posted:

Nothing can attack during its death animation because it's ya know dead, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about?

This is 13-2, but actually.....

But yeah, that's an exclusive case. In 13 the moment they take the final hit the other attacks should stop, so he probably just died right before killing him.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vargatron posted:

You can cheese the final boss in FF4, by not using magic attacks. His AI script retaliates against magic and it's like most of his damage potential.

There's a lot in Final Fantasy games that can be broken mechanically.
You can also cheese him by using magic attacks. Specifically, right at the very beginning of the fight. The script for him countering magic also lowers his INT (WIS? I forget its name) so that he can counter with Meteo without you instantly dying.And the stat doesn't go back up until he uses Black Hole, which is after the first Big Bang, so the first Big Bang goes from doing ~3k to ~1k to everyone which buys you a bunch of turns/lets you be underleveled. It's an old speedrun strat that I believe is only used in categories nobody runs anymore.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Destrudo is correct. Been a while since I played FF13.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

credburn posted:

FF13 rewards attacking over defense, if you are taking a long time to beat enemies (bosses or otherwise) you are playing too defensively

you should only go to defense mode if a telegraphed attack is happening really, otherwise go all out (after buffs), that got me through the entire game pretty well ( i always maxed the crystarium when i could and I didn't bother with upgrading weapons)

the only regular enemies that take a long time should be the big guys at the very end, i remember them basically all being mini-bosses in their own way, even then i did get it to under a minute to kill them (which is a long time compared to the seconds every other enemy dies in)

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Harrow posted:

What other FF had actual debuffs other than Slow? That's maybe the one that I was most surprised to see in XIII.

FFX-2. Warrior has a bunch of debuffs that cripple most enemies. You don't need buffs/debuffs in X-2, but they make the game a ton easier.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ventana posted:

Maybe it's cause I didn't play FFT when it originally came out so I don't have as big nostalgia for that song like others, but I like the new arrangement better? The beat is defined much more clearly + is slightly heavier which sounds a lot better for a fighting/whatever-genre-dissidia-is, and the use of chip sounds cute imo. Reminds me of the Pokken Soundtrack, which was also a good listen.

Sorry, your ears are broken. It's terrible. Just got around to checking it out. Man, this soundtrack is weird.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can have fast travel by the time you fight Bart the second time. I do it every playthrough.

The person who said when a boss casts doom on you it should tell you to actually use the games mechanics is dead on.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you're hitting enrage, you're not interacting properly with the combat system. This isn't really your fault, because FF13 never deigns to explain anything important about its combat system. Three nonobvious things that may be helpful:

1) THIS IS THE BIG ONE: You get a free refill of your ATB bar whenever you switch paradigms, up to once every 12 seconds. In general, if you use two full ATB bars and then switch, you'll get a free refill immediately. Always do this. It literally you do 3 actions in the time it would normally take to do 2. Corollary: you can put two copies of the same dps paradigm in your deck just to switch between them for the free refills.

2) Different roles grant partywide buffs when active. You don't need to actually use actions for this. The important one is Sentinel--every SEN you have out decreases incoming damage by some flat percentage, so you can negate a lot of incoming damage by flicking into SEN/SEN/SEN right before a telegraphed attack hits.

3) Eidolons themselves are pretty useless, but after an Eidolon is dismissed, everyone (including dead people!) come back with full health for some reason. Save them as a panic button.

Bart 2 really, really shouldn't be taking more than 5 minutes. 10 if you're underleveled.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You can also cheese him by using magic attacks. Specifically, right at the very beginning of the fight. The script for him countering magic also lowers his INT (WIS? I forget its name) so that he can counter with Meteo without you instantly dying.And the stat doesn't go back up until he uses Black Hole, which is after the first Big Bang, so the first Big Bang goes from doing ~3k to ~1k to everyone which buys you a bunch of turns/lets you be underleveled. It's an old speedrun strat that I believe is only used in categories nobody runs anymore.

I didn't know about this! That's neat. I always ran that fight straight with fight/jump/holy/flare with healing at necessary times.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Reiterpallasch posted:

If you're hitting enrage, you're not interacting properly with the combat system. This isn't really your fault, because FF13 never deigns to explain anything important about its combat system. Three nonobvious things that may be helpful:

1) THIS IS THE BIG ONE: You get a free refill of your ATB bar whenever you switch paradigms, up to once every 12 seconds. In general, if you use two full ATB bars and then switch, you'll get a free refill immediately. Always do this. It literally you do 3 actions in the time it would normally take to do 2. Corollary: you can put two copies of the same dps paradigm in your deck just to switch between them for the free refills.

2) Different roles grant partywide buffs when active. You don't need to actually use actions for this. The important one is Sentinel--every SEN you have out decreases incoming damage by some flat percentage, so you can negate a lot of incoming damage by flicking into SEN/SEN/SEN right before a telegraphed attack hits.

3) Eidolons themselves are pretty useless, but after an Eidolon is dismissed, everyone (including dead people!) come back with full health for some reason. Save them as a panic button.

Bart 2 really, really shouldn't be taking more than 5 minutes. 10 if you're underleveled.

It's not every 12 seconds you just have let the ATB bar fully charge once outside of the free full one.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Hell yeah, Ultema The "Nice Body", if you know what I mean, he he, yeah. She's got a nice body all right heh im not even trying anymore (MUCH LIKE THIS GAME'S SOUNDTRACK AMIRITE)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Reiterpallasch posted:

Along these lines, COM gives partywide "damage dealt up" (10%, I think?) and RAV gives partywide "stagger inflicted up", so you can use COM or SAB to make the bar "sticky", then go to RAV/RAV/RAV to make it go up real fast, then flip to COM/COM/COM once you stagger to deal real big numbers of damage.

bloodychill posted:

I didn't know about this! That's neat. I always ran that fight straight with fight/jump/holy/flare with healing at necessary times.
I accidentally discovered it as a small child (and couldn't reproduce it), then found out about it from runner's commentary on the TAS:

quote:

The reason for casting cure1 against Zeromus is two-fold. For one, he counter-attacks all non-holy spells with Nuke. With wall up on Rosa, I can reflect it and get an easy 2,000 damage. The second reason is that if Zeromus is already targeting the group for Big-Bang, his Wisdom is reduced for the counter-attack so that it doesn't do 9999 damage. It is then never recovered until after the Big-Bang, thereby reducing the damage done by the big bang immensely.
(and yes, Cure 1 works as well as a quick Fire 1)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
13 actually tells you Role Bonuses for each Role as you get them as part of those little tutorial pop-ups, also listed in the datalog. It also tells you the role bonuses for each role in the paradigm creation menu each time you select a role. It's pretty hard to get more obvious than that, other than for the game to forcibly take control away from you to demonstrate.

What the game doesn't tell you is how significant the bonuses can be. Maybe it'd look more impressive if you could visibly see early on that Level 5 Sen/Sen/Sen reduced everyone's damage to 22%.

13 actually explains the basics pretty clearly of the battle system, even chain duration gets a good enough note in a couple of sections. The only important things it doesn't cover is ATB refreshing, Sabs building more chain duration than Ravs, and how AI targeting works. And even with these, I wouldn't call any of these strictly speaking important for the main game (at least, I didn't know any of these on my first playthrough and did fine). Could maybe be use a little more, but definitely not near "doesn't explain anything important".

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not every 12 seconds you just have let the ATB bar fully charge once outside of the free full one.

If you aren't haste'd, from a refresh, you actually can do a 5 bar action + 4 bar action to get another refresh if you're counting ATB bars here. With Haste it's 2 5 bar actions yeah. I forget exactly what the timing was for smaller ATBs but iirc they usually round out to similar timing. But that actual time is ~12 seconds for the refresh.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Along these lines, COM gives partywide "damage dealt up" (10%, I think?) and RAV gives partywide "stagger inflicted up", so you can use COM or SAB to make the bar "sticky", then go to RAV/RAV/RAV to make it go up real fast, then flip to COM/COM/COM once you stagger to deal real big numbers of damage.

The amount of bonuses to allies depends on the role level of that character. Level 1 Com is +5%, Level 5 is +15%, etc.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 20, 2017

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
vath deftarm is the best character in final fantasy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Genji Glove/offering. A character with high HP and the Atma weapon+offering is enough too since they'll hit for 9999 with every swing. Between using hp-boosting espers and/or a muscle belt as your 2nd accessory it's not too hard to pull off.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So it's been a few years since I've played an FF game, and even then I've played only about a third (5-10 and 13).
My daughter is getting old enough to get into games and I hadn't played 15 yet so I decided to start playing through the whole mainline series, so my daughter can experience at least the first few and I can see the ones I never have.

I checked the OP but it's pretty out-of-date. I've settled on what versions to play for pretty much all the games except for 5 and 6.

On the one hand.. I like the SNES graphics better, but on the other hand, I love the soundtracks and the updated translations, so I'm debating whether to go with the PC versions or not. What's the general consensus these days?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The GBA versions have the modern translations and can be patched to have soundtracks of equal quality to the SNES versions, without the terrible, lazy upscaling of the phone versions. There's no significant increase in audio quality in the phone/PC versions that I know of, either.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The PC version of FF6 is often maligned, but has a retranslated script while retaining the SNES soundtrack. The sprites are a bit stretched at high resolutions but otherwise I was fine with the port.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
PS1 FFV or bust :colbert:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dragonatrix posted:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ş̹͓͍̰̤̠͉̞̊̐͑́́͠a̱̦̝̗̪̜̒͛̽̾̓͒̐̉͜͢͟͞͝v̳̱͉̗̓̂̄̋̍̕̕͜͟͝͠i̡̢̲̟̻͖̣̬̮̞̍͛̽̀̊͠͠n͕̣̥̩̤̲̰͓̅̈̈͒͒͒͟͝g̴̼̰͍͓͈̖̭̍̈̄͐͘

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Evil Fluffy posted:

Genji Glove/offering.

A character with high HP and the Atma weapon+offering is enough too since they'll hit for 9999 with every swing. Between using hp-boosting espers and/or a muscle belt as your 2nd accessory it's not too hard to pull off.

You're only allowed 2 relics per character? :confused:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Give Setzer Fixed Dice, Doom Darts, Gengi Glove, Offering. Four chances of 9999 no matter what your HP and four chances of instant death on non-bosses.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Psycho Cyan

It's actually amazing how utterly broken FF6 is in pretty much every aspect. From Magic Block pulling double duty by also acting as physical evasion, to Sketch possibly loving your game up and/or giving you a ton of powerful poo poo, to how little they thought out Gau, there's just so many insane ways to break this game apart with little effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Psycho Cyan

It's actually amazing how utterly broken FF6 is in pretty much every aspect. From Magic Block pulling double duty by also acting as physical evasion, to Sketch possibly loving your game up and/or giving you a ton of powerful poo poo, to how little they thought out Gau, there's just so many insane ways to break this game apart with little effort.

The amazing thing about FFVI is that almost every character is broken in a different way. Cyan is objectively the worst character and you can still either glitch him to be absurdly overpowered or abuse specific weapon combinations to still make him very good, just not as good as the frankly insane rest of the cast.