Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not using the X300 chipset, huh? Huh. I guess X300 is closer to embedded than ITX.

Hm. Supports "AMD A-series APU / Ryzen CPU / NPU for Socket AM4", huh? I guess NPU would be.... Neutered Processing Unit... so, APUs with the graphics disabled?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hurry up Asus / Asrock. Can't say I want to consider Biostar :can:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Biostar and dvi :whitewater:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hurry up Asus / Asrock. Can't say I want to consider Biostar :can:

Are Biostar no good then? I'd never heard of them until Ryzen.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Got my 1600 to 3.9GHz @1.45v but have decided 3.8GHz@1.35v is a better outcome in regards to heat/perf.

On a MSI B350m Arctic Mortar, Mem is G.Skill TridentZ 16D

Managed to get RAM to 3200 with poo poo clocks but it was performing worse in stuff like cinebench so went for 2933 with lower clocks

Case shot, got a fan hub and some sleeved cables hopefully coming in tomorrow

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Captain Hair posted:

I've still got my alfa pal 8045, beast of a heatsink. Iirc it was a solid copper base with hex shaped pins what rose out of it in an 80mm x 80mm cube.

Slapped an 80mm > 120mm fan adaptor on it with a 120mm 200cfm delta fan on it. Overclocked something like a 1.5/1.6ghz thunderbird to 3.2ghz waaaay back in the day. 100% overclock, those were the days. Nf7-s motherboard. Revision 1.0 till it caught on fire (!) Then a rev 1.2 board.

Was beating guys who were on water, but drat was it loud. Edit: was also in a case built from knex, because I was a poor and the with adaptor didn't fit in any standard sized case.

Yep, that's the one. Anodized aluminum pins for efficient blackbody radiation and a copper block in the base for efficient transfer into the sink. I just got the some super high throughput 80mm fan. 95cfm, maybe? It was absurdly loud. My roommates must have hated me :(

I wonder if it'd mount on a modern motherboard...

quote:

Also I can't say for windows 7, but windows 10 runs comfortably on 8gb ddr2, ran a bit janky on 4gb. I think windows 7 supports 8gb and given how windows loves ram that's what I'd go for.

Cost me recently £10 per 4gb for 800mhz ddr2. However if you're after the fast 1066mhz stuff... well I recently sold an 8gb 1066mhz ddr2 kit for £95. So yeah, it can be pricey.

Huh, I figured Windows 10 wouldn't run on anything that old but lol @ me for thinking Microsoft would break support for anything from the 32 bit era, I guess.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

We did it everyone. We got an mITX AM4 mobo:

https://videocardz.com/press-release/biostar-debuts-worlds-first-mini-itx-motherboard-for-amd-ryzen

I, for one, am excited to get weird with small form factor, underclocked R7s.

E: X370 and B350 chipsets.

The feature sets of the X370 and B350 boards are identical and they clearly used the same image for both, just altering their photoshop box mockups. What is the point?

Does not inspire confidence in Biostar, not that I had much (read: any) to begin with. I'll continue waiting for ASUS to produce a board.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah Windows 8.1 and 10 will run on CPU that's at least 1 ghz and supports PAE, SSE2, and the NX bit. That means almost every Athlon 64 and most Intel chips after the later Prescott Pentium 4s. So as early as a fall 2003 computer with AMD and as early as a summer 2004 computer with Intel.

(there's also hacky poo poo where you install with a compatible CPU then switch it out for one that lacks the NX bit, which would allow you to run Windows 10 on CPU from about 2001)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Mad_Lion posted:

Barton nostalgia ftw. I had an Nforce 2 board with a barton 2500+ OC'd effortlessly to a 3200+, a gig of DDR 800mhz ram (I think?), cooled by a 100% copper Thermalright heatsink. I can't remember the fan I had on it, but it was 92mm. 500 watt Sparkle PSU (ridiculous overkill), and a 10,000 WD Raptor HDD for the main OS drive. It was still rocking a Radeon 8500, though. That was going to be the next upgrade. The case was an Antec SOHO server case (the one with the door on the front) with 4 80mm panaflo fans. It had a 48x DVD-ROM and a 16x DVD writer, and possibly even a zip disc drive lol. I think this was 2003? But I ended up selling the rig and getting a laptop. It was still a desktop replacement laptop, though. Athlon 64 and a Geforce 4 MX. Those were the days.

Probably a SLK800

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

NewFatMike posted:

We did it everyone. We got an mITX AM4 mobo:

https://videocardz.com/press-release/biostar-debuts-worlds-first-mini-itx-motherboard-for-amd-ryzen

I, for one, am excited to get weird with small form factor, underclocked R7s.

E: X370 and B350 chipsets.

Let's be honest, if you aren't in the 5050 LED Fun Zone you're just a basic bitch.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fishmech posted:

(there's also hacky poo poo where you install with a compatible CPU then switch it out for one that lacks the NX bit, which would allow you to run Windows 10 on CPU from about 2001)

It's amazing that works because on NX-equipped CPUs if you frob the NX bit on a page entry without having NX turned on you get a general protection fault. I guess that bit is just counted as "reserved, writes ignored" on pre-NX CPUs using PAE. I'd check for my own curiosity's sake but I don't have a sufficiently old copy of the Intel manuals...

(ask me about my wealth of knowledge with regards to how fucky x86 and the x86 MMU is)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea as long as you do have more than 4G of ram, anything from Vista to 10 works fine on old stuff. One thing of note is how much better Win 10 runs on a old Toshiba from 2005 after a fresh install vs Upgrading from 7/8.1. IT has a Pre Core2Duo, Centrino Duo cpu that is 32bit only so you aren't getting more than 3G of memory anyway but it still runs rather ok for basic web browsing and ripping DVD's. Go figure.

I even have a Samsung Q1 Ultra with a Intel A110 cpu (800mhz single core pre Atom) with 2G of ram and it actually handles Windows 8.1 rather well. Win10 you can get it to install if you mess with the CPU clock that is reported in the registry but it really isn't optimal on something this slow. Swapping out the 60G HDD for a SSD might help a good bit, but overall the Q1 ultra is fantastic as a portable network diagnostic tool at least.

It is amazing how well you can get some older stuff to run newest versions of Windows considering you couldn't even think of doing the same thing on single core P4's and much other stuff before the Core2/Athlon64 days.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

VealCutlet posted:

Got my 1600 to 3.9GHz @1.45v but have decided 3.8GHz@1.35v is a better outcome in regards to heat/perf.

On a MSI B350m Arctic Mortar, Mem is G.Skill TridentZ 16D

Managed to get RAM to 3200 with poo poo clocks but it was performing worse in stuff like cinebench so went for 2933 with lower clocks

Case shot, got a fan hub and some sleeved cables hopefully coming in tomorrow

Why is the i7-4770K performing worse in Cinebench at 4.4 vs 3.5?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm going to guess they're nT results?

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

NewFatMike posted:

I'm going to guess they're nT results?

Correct

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

SourKraut posted:

Why is the i7-4770K performing worse in Cinebench at 4.4 vs 3.5?

Not sure if those are mine or online results, but my old CPU was a 4770k, did cinebench at 4, 4.2, 4.4, 4.6.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anywhere you can read up about what limits different cpu familys re overclocking?

How often is it due to architecture or fab production quality or both?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's always going to be a little of both. I think it was mentioned here or in the Intel thread, but Kaby lake's overclocking is very unique.

If there isn't much headroom, one way to look at it is that there's no easy way to extra performance, or that the manufacturer isn't leaving any performance on the table (something AMD are accused of in the GPU space).

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
After much debate, I ended up building a 7700k box and I was not happy with temps, even with a H100i v2, until I delidded and replaced the TIM.

Edit: cleaned up phone posting

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 21, 2017

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

mayodreams posted:

After much debate, I ended up building a 7700k box and. I wasn't happy with temps even with. H100i v2 until I delidded and replaced the TIM.

I can say that temps on the R5 1600 are pretty drat good, temps maxed at around 63.3 at 3.8@1.35v during prime95 torture. On a h80i v2.

The limitation of the chips is definitely not thermals

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lungboy posted:

Are Biostar no good then? I'd never heard of them until Ryzen.

I looked around for motherboard failure rates, but couldn't find anything for them.
I know they were regarded pretty badly at one point. Maybe that's changed? I don't know.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

VealCutlet posted:

I can say that temps on the R5 1600 are pretty drat good, temps maxed at around 63.3 at 3.8@1.35v during prime95 torture. On a h80i v2.

The limitation of the chips is definitely not thermals

It is for mine :downs:

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

gwrtheyrn posted:

It is for mine :downs:

What's your loop like? Are you seeing the temps rise in the loop to the same degree? I just don't know how you can be hitting 75o at 1.275v or whatever it was.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

VealCutlet posted:

What's your loop like? Are you seeing the temps rise in the loop to the same degree? I just don't know how you can be hitting 75o at 1.275v or whatever it was.

I have pump 240 CPU 140 GPU res. The temps are basically the same as what I was getting with the nh-u12s so it's probably just a lovely chip. The GPU runs super cool so at least that is working

Also that was prime95 with avx on small FFTs or something

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

gwrtheyrn posted:

I have pump 240 CPU 140 GPU res. The temps are basically the same as what I was getting with the nh-u12s so it's probably just a lovely chip. The GPU runs super cool so at least that is working

Yeah sounds odd, literally the first time I've heard of temps like that? I'd be getting it replaced, surely telling them under water it's hitting those temps would be grounds for a replacement.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you remove the block, how's the thermal paste being distributed around on the top of the CPU? Is the base of the CPU block good and flat?

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

If you remove the block, how's the thermal paste being distributed around on the top of the CPU? Is the base of the CPU block good and flat?

If he's got custom WC loops I assume he knows how to put thermal paste on. Better to be safe I suppose.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If I can get my finances organized I'm really thinking it's time I built a new main desktop, and the R5 1600X is looking like what I will probably want to build around. Will probably go for an X370 mobo in part just because I want the extra SATA ports. Aside from money being a concern, I really kind of want the motherboards to have a chance to be developed a little longer, too. I really don't like getting first-generation anything.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I'm probably going to look this weekend, but the paste looked fine when I took off the noctua. I might try putting "too much" paste on and see if that helps. No idea how flat the block is but it's the ek supremacy Evo so idk

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If I can get my finances organized I'm really thinking it's time I built a new main desktop, and the R5 1600X is looking like what I will probably want to build around. Will probably go for an X370 mobo in part just because I want the extra SATA ports. Aside from money being a concern, I really kind of want the motherboards to have a chance to be developed a little longer, too. I really don't like getting first-generation anything.

If worried about cash and you're going to OC get the 1600 non x

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

VealCutlet posted:

If he's got custom WC loops I assume he knows how to put thermal paste on. Better to be safe I suppose.

It's just to find if the paste is squished evenly, showing the contacts good, or not.

E - it was hot with the Noctua too wasn't it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 21, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VealCutlet posted:

If worried about cash and you're going to OC get the 1600 non x

Newegg is currently showing a $30 price difference between the two, so assuming they remain that close in price I'll probably go with the faster chip.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Newegg is currently showing a $30 price difference between the two, so assuming they remain that close in price I'll probably go with the faster chip.
1600 non x comes with a heat sink, and the 1600X does not. That'll increase the price difference.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It's just to find if the paste is squished evenly, showing the contacts good, or not.

E - it was hot with the Noctua too wasn't it.

Yes, it was.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hope reseating the block helps. Or even contacting EK, I think the supports pretty good with them.

E- anyone else with same board having heat issues?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, speaking of paste, remember that you may need to adjust your paste technique a bit, with how the die is.

Rice grain isn't going to cover the entire thing. One dot over each die edit: CCU instead, maybe?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 21, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, speaking of paste, remember that you may need to adjust your paste technique a bit, with how the die is.

Rice grain isn't going to cover the entire thing. One dot over each die instead, maybe?

I prefer the Jayz method, myself

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ardlen posted:

1600 non x comes with a heat sink, and the 1600X does not. That'll increase the price difference.

Still should be in a reasonable range. I love the Scythe cooler I replaced the stock AM3 heatsink with - I figure there should be more options for cooling when I'm ready to buy, anyway. Almost certainly will be sticking with air-cooled everything - a little noise doesn't bother me as long as the cooling is adequate.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Rice grain isn't going to cover the entire thing. One dot over each die instead, maybe?
Do we know the orientation of that? I'm assuming it's aligned with where we see gaps in the pins on the underside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kirtar posted:

Do we know the orientation of that? I'm assuming it's aligned with where we see gaps in the pins on the underside

Look at the bottom right corner