Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

cursedshitbox posted:

It's Facebook. Home of the LCD of inbredmethheadshithook. Dump friendface and your life will be oh so much better. guarangoddamnteed.

Later on in the group, a kid wants to avoid dealer markup on a used car asks a guy selling a $8k GTI if he'd take payments over 3 years. Gets super offended when the seller laughs at him, posts screenshots from his credit score app to prove he's legit, can't understand why nobody wants to give a 3-year, 0% interest loan to a stranger from the internet.

e: didn't mean to bring this into a new page.

Not a horrible mechanical failure, but I thought this would work pretty well as pace notes for a deaf driver:

NoWake fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LloydDobler posted:

ICP takes the cake for reveling in ignorance and reviling education:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs&t=114s

They list off a bunch of very natural and understood phenomena and declare them "miracles". Listen to the whole thing if you really want to punish yourself.

Oh for gently caress's sake.
Nothing like slamming scientists on a medium only made possible by technology. Just because you're a loving idiot incapable of understanding science doesn't make everything a "miracle", or scientists liars.
ICP and Juggalos - working together to make "Idiocracy" a reality

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

Nothing like slamming scientists on a medium only made possible by technology. Just because you're a loving idiot incapable of understanding science doesn't make everything a "miracle", or scientists liars.

Fuckin' magnets, how to they work man? It's a miracle!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Our understanding of magnets make the recording of this song possible, but they're a miracle!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks Discount Tire! Had my wife get a tire rotation and she started to complain about a noise from the passenger side. Came out to the car to find this:

Every bolt was over 120lbs. If not higher. Repaired them myself because at 7pm on a Sunday, what other choice do you have?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

the spyder posted:

Thanks Discount Tire! Had my wife get a tire rotation and she started to complain about a noise from the passenger side. Came out to the car to find this:

Every bolt was over 120lbs. If not higher. Repaired them myself because at 7pm on a Sunday, what other choice do you have?

See and people wonder why I'm paranoid. Bunch of (non-AI-type) folks gave me crap about ordering a wheel/tire set from Tire Rack and doing installation myself like "you know tire shops exist for a reason right?"

How much poo poo did you unleash on that shop, by the way? Did they at least refund your service/labor?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Brap Brap, Motherfucker.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beach Bum posted:

See and people wonder why I'm paranoid. Bunch of (non-AI-type) folks gave me crap about ordering a wheel/tire set from Tire Rack and doing installation myself like "you know tire shops exist for a reason right?"

How much poo poo did you unleash on that shop, by the way? Did they at least refund your service/labor?

Always wondered about these types of mishaps. Hard to prove one way or the other. Also need to ask, when the aluminum wheel welds to the rotor, what does a tire shop do? In my case I back off the lugs about a fraction of a turn, drive it down the block and I usually hear a bang when it breaks free. Obviously a rust belt situation.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Generally either a BFH, or a swift kick from a size thirteen steel toe, delivered to the tire.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
BFH for certain

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Always wondered about these types of mishaps. Hard to prove one way or the other. Also need to ask, when the aluminum wheel welds to the rotor, what does a tire shop do? In my case I back off the lugs about a fraction of a turn, drive it down the block and I usually hear a bang when it breaks free. Obviously a rust belt situation.

When we get a wheel stuck to the hub, we use a chunk of 2x4 and a 10# sledge. Usually a couple light taps on the backside pops it loose. We also lightly zip the lugs on with a 50# torque stick and the guns set as low as they go, which mostly gives us at least 3/4 of a turn to torque to spec with a torque wrench. Shop policy is also to have a second person take a second wrench and check all the lugs again.

I think we've had one stud break in the last 6-8 months after the car left, and that was the prime example of a rusty mess. Mostly up here lugs strip on the way off, especially if they haven't been off in a couple years.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have tires mounted and balanced but I install them myself.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

the spyder posted:

This does surprise me a bit. The Discount Tire techs around here have always been super-anal about getting one of those plastic doo-hickeys that prevent over-torquing the lugs when they put the tires on every car I've watched them work on while waiting.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Most tire changes I have witnessed, especially at the mechanics when they are doing unrelated work, have been calibrated by *brrp brrrp*. One of my first purchases to work on my car was a torque wrench.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My mentor/partner is all like "Dont ever do this, this is for experts only" *BRRRAP BRRRAP*

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

People at work make fun of me for it, but it's like half an hour or forty minutes of my time per car including setup, checking tread depth, installing, fixing pressures, and clean up. It would take me longer to load up the wheels, drive to the shop, have it done (if there were no wait time, which there always is), and drive back, and I know they're not cross-threaded or overtorqued. (And they always get the pressures wrong anyway.) I mean, yeah, it's a pain when it's raining or when it's cold and I have to hurry before a winter storm hits, but whatever.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You can use an impact gun on a low setting (or just paying attention) to nip up the nuts/bolts to the point they're ready to be torqued, rather than smashing them all the way home, but I certainly wouldn't trust someone else to do it.

Still say that if I owned a garage, all the impact guns would be set to reverse only, with no reversing switch on them. One impact gun that does tighten locked in a cabinet in case you really do need it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Discount tire = Mavis discount tire?

I will never go back, I tried to take a tire off because they failed me on brakes (which I knew was good). I was standing and jumping on the breaker bar to get the lugs loose.

I called and asked the store I'd they actually used the torque sticks that they had hanging behind the counter or if they were for display only.. they told me they always use them and have a video of each Bay so they are sure their mechanics always use them. A 200lb person bounce on a lug wrench should not be required to break the lugs free after a 5 min drive.

They failed my safety inspection(why I was taking the tired off) for brakes with 'excessive rounding' I asked what the gently caress they meant and they gave me some bullshit answer, got it inspected 30 min later somewhere else and had no issues.

gently caress that place in the rear end.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Data Graham posted:

My mentor/partner is all like "Dont ever do this, this is for experts only" *BRRRAP BRRRAP*

Yeah brah more torque than a supercar
*Brap brap*
Itll never get loose

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I've always instructed tyre stores they MUST use torque wrenches on my cars. Never had an objection.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I know a guy who worked at, then ran, a tire place, who told me that the only reason the torque wrench they had there didn't look brand new was that after they bought it, he scuffed it along the ground a few times, rubbed it in some dirt outside and then wiped it off haphazardly. Then he hung it up and went back to the ways of the BRRAP BRRAP.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Well considering that the Juggalo fests are usually a breeding pool for inbred stupidity, why am I not suprised?

Memento posted:

I know a guy who worked at, then ran, a tire place, who told me that the only reason the torque wrench they had there didn't look brand new was that after they bought it, he scuffed it along the ground a few times, rubbed it in some dirt outside and then wiped it off haphazardly. Then he hung it up and went back to the ways of the BRRAP BRRAP.

It'll never come loose....

....because its cross-threaded :gonk:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

You can use an impact gun on a low setting (or just paying attention) to nip up the nuts/bolts to the point they're ready to be torqued, rather than smashing them all the way home, but I certainly wouldn't trust someone else to do it.

Still say that if I owned a garage, all the impact guns would be set to reverse only, with no reversing switch on them. One impact gun that does tighten locked in a cabinet in case you really do need it.

Ditto to this. I've got an electric impact at home that I use to spin the nuts back down after tire changes. Start nut by hand > spin it down with the impact until it clicks once or twice. I'm off the trigger long before the nut makes contact. Usually have to give it about 3/4 to a full turn with the torque wrench to finish it up.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The 7pm on a Sunday part is why I want my own tire machines. I hate having to take a half day to sit around a tire shop only to pay markup on a half rear end install and balance job.

All I really need now is my own balancer. I think my manual changer will handle the car tires I have.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I have friends that still work at a dealership I used to work at 15 years ago, so I buy the tires online, take them there, and mount/balance/install them myself. The shop manager doesn't care, and that way I know it's done right. It takes less than half an hour but there's usually an hour of bullshitting involved.

I will run the lugs tight with the impact, then finish with a torque wrench after I lower the car. I have tested the torque imparted by my Earthquake on lugnuts just for funsies: one solid BRAP after the lugs are seated is about 45 ft-lbs. BRAPBRAP is about 70 at 125 psi air pressure.

I work on my own stuff because I know how little a dude making minimum wage or just above cares about doing the job right.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
There really is something pleasing about the sound of an impact wrench. I wish IOs made that noise, it would be a lot more satisfying to drill a spike into someone's leg if it went BRAPBRAP while you did it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My Dewalt DCF899 stops around 100 ft-lbs on its middle power setting if you let off the trigger as soon as it starts to hammer. Makes putting wheels back on a breeze, torque wrench only has to tighten the fastener a hair before clicking at 110.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Speed handle after starting by hand for install. Or start with speed handle but go backwards for a turn or so to find the start.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

tater_salad posted:

Discount tire = Mavis discount tire?

No. Discount Tire Company is the full name. They're generally a pretty decent place.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

There really is something pleasing about the sound of an impact wrench. I wish IOs made that noise, it would be a lot more satisfying to drill a spike into someone's leg if it went BRAPBRAP while you did it.

I am imagining this and I am completely terrified. ........what if it strips out the bone :gonk:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Torn Quad Jones posted:

I am imagining this and I am completely terrified. ........what if it strips out the bone :gonk:

helicoil, timesert, or drill it one size up and tap it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

No. Discount Tire Company is the full name. They're generally a pretty decent place.

The owner, Bruce Vall, is a huge shithead, but if you don't care about voting with your dollars, that's not really relevant I guess.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I had a dealership strip a lug nut on the rear wheel of my Xterra when I had to tow 5,000lbs 100 miles the next morning. A number of the others weren't up to torque, and others were over-torqued, but this one was straight fuckered and I couldn't budge it.

I went back after hours to yell at the manager, who dragged everybody in. The mechanic thought I just wanted it snug (?!?!?!) so hit it with an impact, getting it up to the wheel but completely destroying the stud and nut. When I yelled at him he tried to back it off but instead of backing off the stud popped out the back side of the hub and started rattling around the wheel with the nut still attached.

They also didn't have any spare studs.

I had to carefully bring the truck back with the trailer in the morning, unhitch it and put it on a lift. They plasma cut the stud off, pounded a new one into the hub and put it all back together...with a torque wrench. I hooked the trailer back up and off I went.

When poo poo like that can happen is it really worth the time you save using an impact?

Edit: Myself I get the nuts started by hand, use an electric impact to zip them to the wheels then torque. Usually they need a quarter to half turn to get up to proper torque after that.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 21, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

When poo poo like that can happen is it really worth the time you save using an impact?

60% of the time it works every time.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

All this talk of impacts is making me realize that switching my wheels twice a year using the emergency toolkit wrench is loving dumb.

Are cordless impacts worth a poo poo for that sort of thing? I don't have a compressor nor room for a compressor. I could be convinced to use an electric impact in lieu of a cordless one. I'll use a torque stick, I promise.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Dave Inc. posted:

I was selling a car for like $3k once and stupidly let somebody take it to their mechanic and after nitpicking and being a general dick he puts the wheels back on and went to town with the air impact and I completely lost it.

The whole mechanic mentality drives me nuts, you talk to any of them and they'll go on about how you have to absolutely fix any minor issue but then they'll half rear end the job and cut corners when it comes time to actually do it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Fifty Three posted:

All this talk of impacts is making me realize that switching my wheels twice a year using the emergency toolkit wrench is loving dumb.

Are cordless impacts worth a poo poo for that sort of thing? I don't have a compressor nor room for a compressor. I could be convinced to use an electric impact in lieu of a cordless one. I'll use a torque stick, I promise.

I love my cordless impact for removing/installing wheels, but they don't work with torque sticks. Get a torque wrench for installing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I used to, till I found a tire shop that doesn't use their impact guns unless they're working on submerged-in-seawater-for-a-year poo poo. It's really, really weird to stand in their shop and NOT hear BRAPBRAPing. They used breaker-bars, speed-handles, and torque wrenches for almost everything they do.

...And then they went out of business. :saddowns:

Now I'm back to doing it my own self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

I borrow the Makita cordless 1/2in impact wrench from work sometimes and it does the job for all of the car and motorcycle stuff I've used it for...but it ($200 or so) also still isn't as powerful as a $50 air wrench.

I dunno.

Either way, only use it to remove things. Don't bother with torque sticks or whatever unless you're doing the work for money. Just get a good torque wrench and do it properly.