Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
It seems like a bunch of the same questions keep getting brought up in the backpacking megathread, so I thought I'd put together a quick OP on gear. If you've got questions, have recommendations, or just want to brag about that sweet new bivy you just bought, post it here! I'll update the OP with any good insights as we go.

The goal here is to provide some decent point of reference for people to make their own informed decisions. This OP is split into sections, so feel free to skip around, or post to ask any questions! Between everyone, there's a lot of great knowledge here.

:siren:The basics::siren:

• Ignore that 10 basics list, it kinda sucks.

• Before doing any big trips, be sure to test your gear and figure out where the shortcomings are for your comfort, and just how much of what you packed isn’t necessary.

• Don't drink water directly from the stream--treat it first. Giardia can cause dehydration from diarrhea, neither of which are pleasant, you don’t want to be the person that poo poo themselves to death. My goto filter for the last two years is the BeFree, but be aware of your area and water restrictions. Eg Arsenic and heavy metals mine runoff in parts near me render the water untreatable by portable filters.

• Gear is always some combination of light, cheap, and/or effective. Pick two.

• How you pack is very important for how heavy it actually feels:

Rime posted:

Heavy at the bottom is bad mojo, here's a good illustration of optimal packing:

• Drink plenty of water! Dehydration sneaks up on you fast. You'll feel better throughout the day if you drink a quart of water when you wake up.

• If you don't like the taste of water, True Lime is awesome stuff, it's cold crystallized lime wedges in a small packet and it's just like having a wedge of lime in there.

• Cotton kills: it absorbs water (which is why towels are made out of it), and will make you freeze, or give you blisters as it holds water against your skin, and make your life generally miserable. Especially socks. Hell no to cotton socks. Same as jeans. It's all cotton. Disclaimer being region specific, such as deserts.

• You want water wicking, not water absorbing materials. Stuff like artificial fiber (polypropylene, nylon, spandex, etc), or wool. Wool is better at absorbing odors and delaying bacterial odor buildup. Articial fiber works great but by howdy does it (and you) smell after a few days outdoors.

• Sometimes the best time to go hiking is in the rain, don't let inclement weather predictions disrupt your plans--forecasters are usually off anyways, especially if you're visiting a mountainous area.

• The colder it is outside, the more likely it is you'll have to pee in the middle of the night. Don't hold it in and suffer, just do it, your body is trying to expel the water because it takes a lot of energy to heat up. Yeah it sucks when it's four degrees out, but you'll feel a lot better when you do.

:siren:Bugs and Ticks :siren:
  • Morbus posted:

Permethrin works for mosquitoes, or really almost any insect. It's a straight up neurotoxin rather than an irritant like DEET or picardin, so it won't necessarily have a repellent effect but will prevent biting by making insects spaz out and die on contact. Its main advantages, aside from its lethality, are that it's easy to apply all over clothing or gear in a persistent way that has no odor or residue. Treating clothing or other gear in this way with DEET or picardin is much less practical, and requires frequent re-application due to the volatility of those chemicals. Permethrin and DEET/picardin complement each other, so both are usually used as part of the best anti-insect strategies.

OSU_Matthew posted:

For ticks, you only get Lyme disease after they start regurgitating into your bloodstream, about 24 hours after latching. So, if you inspect yourself thoroughly after hiking, you can pry them off with a tick key and not suffer any harm.

They don't jump, you have to brush up against a plant to catch one. Also be sure to inspect places like your waist band, inside your knees, etc. Ticks love those spots. Also watch out for love star ticks, they carry Alphagam disease, which is basically an allergy to red meat

:siren:Tents & Shelter:siren:

• FogHelmut posted:

Someone can tell me I'm wrong about everything or add to this:

Tent Brands:

Ozark Trail - very inexpensive, cheaply made, do not expect it to last, would avoid wet weather, otherwise functional
    Coleman - standard car camping gear, been around forever, pretty functional, generally reliable
    Kelty/Alps Mountaineering/Eureka - priced above Coleman, better materials
    REI - comparable to some premium gear at a good price
    MSR/Mountain Hardware/North Face/Big Agnes/etc - premium tents, premium price

Note: Tent sizes are deceiving. They do not count any extra space for gear in their sizing. A two-person tent fits two people side by side sleeping opposite head to toe. A four or six person tent follows the same sardine-packing rules. Get a larger tent if you are keeping gear or dogs inside the tent. Vestibules do not count towards person-space. They are useful for storing gear out of the rain but also out of the tent interior. There is typically not a floor in the vestibule.

Backpacking Tents:

Regular tents:
    Cheap - cheap, heavy, takes up a lot of space
    Mid-price (this is actually a big range that I don't know how to break up) - depends on brand, lighter weight and still sturdy, better packability
    Expensive - premium space materials, ultra lightweight, loses some durability

Ultralight tents: minimal design, often uses one or two trekking poles as the tent support

Hammock: it's a hammock. May or may not include a rainfly or be a self contained structure. You should have trees around to hang it from.

Tarp: ultra light, requires skills

Note: Watch out for listed weights as it can become hard to compare as some of the lighter ones do not come with tie-downs or footprints.

Car Camping/Overlanding:

Ground tent:
    See brands above. Use whatever tent you like that fits you and your gear/group. No need to worry about weight or size, depending on your car space.

Roof Top Tent
    Pros:
    - off the ground
    - built-in mattress
    - camp anywhere you park
    - looks cool

Cons:
    - off the ground is in the wind
    - off the ground makes it hard to get out at night to pee
    - off the ground isn't great for getting your dog in and out
    - can't drive anywhere until you pack up the tent
    - very expensive

Swag:
    This is a one person heavy canvas bivy style tent with its own built-in foam mattress. They're heavy and big when packed. Rare in the US, popular in Australia. Feels like sleeping in a coffin.

Pop-up trailer:
    A small trailer that unfolds into a camper. Canvas walls, usually has a kitchen and seating.

Overland Trailer:
    A basic trailer with big tires to hold your gear and probably has a rooftop tent on it.

Teardrop Trailer:
    Small, lightweight, enough room to sleep, built in exterior kitchen.

Travel Trailer:
    Many sizes, many prices, often comes with bathroom and kitchen, may be had with air conditioning and heating.

Truck with bed cap:
    Protected, not as roomy as a van, but your truck may have other uses.

Van:
    Driveable. Room for murals on the side.

Truck Camper:
    Sits in the bed of your truck. Generally need a larger truck to carry these.

Camper/RV:
    Self contained home on wheels. Ranges from the size of an ambulance to the size of a bus. Some expand to palatial sizes.

• khysanth posted:

The Duplex is the darling of 2017 but you pay a huge premium for the Zpacks brand and for the fabric (DCF/Cuben). Unfortunately there aren't a ton of comparable 2P, single-walled, trekking pole supported shelters. The Duplex will set you back $600 before tax and ultimately weighs in around 23-25oz after you factor in guylines and stakes.

The best alternative (and the one I would likely get) is the Gossamer Gear The Two. The bathtub floor is a 10D silnylon and the tarp is a 7D. This tent (and The One) have survived many people's thru-hikes without durability issues. $289 and 29-31oz total. The deep bathtub and the angle of the walls at the head/foot mean you'd probably find it comfortable at 6'4".

If you like to calculate it, it's about $30/oz saved to opt for the Duplex... on the really high end for most people.

Another option I would consider is the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Explorer. On sale until 12/31 for $260 (reg. $325). It's a little heavier than the others at 41oz, but is generally regarded as one of the roomiest shelters for 2P and a palace for one tall hiker.

One more option is the TarpTent MoTrail. This is a front-entry shelter however, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Costs $259 and weighs in at 34oz. You'd have plenty of room with the vertical end walls.

Personally I'm 6'3" and went with the SMD Haven Tarp and NetTent combo. I prefer the modularity and breathability of a double-walled shelter. I can just bring the tarp or the net depending on weather and bug pressure. The tarp alone comes in around 19oz, and the net 15oz. I feel like it is a good fit for me at 6'3". On my sleeping pad, when I lie down or sit up, the tips of my hair BARELY brush the net, which means I still have another ~4-6" of clearance to the tarp. Plenty of room for me and my wife, and a TON of room if I'm solo. Here are some pics of it set up.

If you can get away with a 1P shelter and a hammock if your GF ever joins, I'd look at the other single-walled 1P shelters from these same manufacturers:

Gossamer Gear The One (2x trekking pole supported, 21oz, $299)
    Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (1x trekking pole supported, 24oz, $180 til 12/31)
    TarpTent ProTrail (2x trekking pole supported, front entry, 26oz, $225)

I don't consider the Zpacks Hexamid Solo (even the plus version) because I know several 6'3"+ hikers who say it is too cramped, your head will brush against the (potentially wet with condensation) tarp, it could get on your sleeping bag, etc.

• How to avoid your or your friends tripping over your guylines in the dark:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I’ll do you one better, Lawson GloWire. Lights up like a Christmas tree when the light hits it.

https://www.lawsonequipment.com/products/reflective-glowire

:siren:Insulation:siren:
  • If you're spending the night outdoors, you need insulation from not only the air, but also the ground because it acts like a giant heatsink and sucks all the heat out of your body. Yes, even in the summer you'll want some sort of pad or insulation from the ground.

• As far as the air goes, you need a quilt or mummy bag at the very least if you're going to be spending time outdoors. Don't buy anything that is flannel or rectangular, those are old and garbage. Thankfully those kinds of bags are harder and harder to even find anymore, they’re no longer ubiquitous.

• When buying a mummy bag, look for one with draft tubes along the zipper and hood to block cold air from coming in there. Also remember most temperature ratings just suck, because they're measuring a copper pipe's heat loss in a lab, not real world windy lovely conditions.

• Also pay attention to how the bag is made--baffles where it's stitched together create cold spots with zero insulation--avoid that! Unless it has compartment baffles with fabric in between so it's not pinched together--that's great.

• There are two basic types of sleeping bags to choose from, down and synthetic. Both have advantages. Down is light and super compressible, but really quite pricey and can lose loft (therefore insulation) when it gets wet. Synthetic bags are generally heavier, don't compress as well, but they're usually cheaper and will still keep you relatively warm and wick water if wet.

:frogsiren: When storing your sleeping bag in between trips, don't keep it compressed! Put it in a big loose mesh laundry bag in between trips to let it air out, and prevent the insulation from getting crunched up and compressed and degrading over time :frogsiren:

• A popular option in the lightweight and hammock community are quilts! Basically the idea is that you only need fluffy top insulation, because anything underneath you is getting compressed and doesn't offer much in the way of performance. Enlightened equipment and hammock gear are two of my favorite cottage quilt makers. Hammock Gear makes quilts right in Columbus, and they have an econ line of quilts that use a more affordable but similar fabric to shave something like a hundred bucks off the price tag

:siren:Footwear and Layering:siren:
    Boots vs. Trailrunners

• The basic idea is that boots offer better ankle support for heavier packs and uncertain terrain, and trail runners are lighter on your feet and quicker to dry out. There's a school of thought that one pound on your foot = five pounds on your back, so the lighter the shoe the better. I personally like the ankle support of my boots when I've got >30lbs on my back, but I never hit that anymore unless I need to carry more than a gallon of water (eg while in the Grand Canyon). There's also another school of thought though that locking in your ankles transfers the twisting to your knee.

I really like leather boots because they're a natural wonder material. Warm in the winter, temperature regulating in the summer, it's just a great material. My favorite boots ever were Lowa Banffs, which the company even shipped back to Germany and resoled for me after the foam midlayer delaminated after 10 years.

Anymore I’ve switched to trail runners. Find something you like to fit your style. One guy I hike with even uses sandals.

Verman posted:

From the light end of the spectrum to the heavy. The size of your body and your gear load will probably make a difference as well. I'm only 160lbs and have backpacked with a 50lb pack in trail runners with ease but other people only backpack in trail runners if they carry light loads. It all depends on you and it takes some experience to figure out what works best for you. Personally I feel like the less weight on your feet is more noticeable than less weight in your pack.

Trail runners
    Saucony Peregrine (whatever model they are up to now) these are one of the most popular I see on the trails
    Brook Cascadia
    Merell Agility Peak flex (I currently wear the older model All out Peak)
    Solomon XA pro's seem to be pretty popular as well as the speed cross
    I almost went with la sportivas but the soles didn't seem very grippy

Light duty boots
    Merrell Moab Mids are crazy popular, probably one of the boots I see most on the trails
    Salomon X ultra/quest boots are also really popular, the 2nd most popular on the trails
    keen targhee

Backpacking boots
    Lowa renegade
    Asolo fugitive
    Salewa Alp/mountain trainers

There's obviously a ton more but it sort of depends on your feet. Certain brands just don't fit certain feet so its worth going into a place with a knowledgable staff and try stuff on. I really enjoy trail runners for most day hikes and warm weather backpacking. I feel lighter, my hips are less sore, and they dry out much faster if they do get wet. They also breathe 10x more than any boots I ever had. The only time I wear boots is if its going to be insanely rough rocky terrain, or if I'm going to be in snow/cold for an extended amount of time.

I would be careful with "minimalist" shoes as a lot of them have varying degrees of drop which can take some time to get used to and you will likely have to change your stride to accommodate not walking on your heels. I've heard of people having knee pain and discomfort from unknowingly buying minimalist shoes that were essentially barefoot shoes with no heel padding.
    Feet slipping around in your shoes? Try this one weird trick!

Internet Wizard posted:

Get a cheap foam sleep pad and cut off a strip and put it between the tongues of your boot and the laces

• Dress in layers so you can strip down/add layers to regulate your temperature to the environment around you. You need a base water wicking layer, a thermal layer (eg fleece jacket), and an outer shell (like windbreaker or rain jacket)

• Side note on rainjackets and Goretex, when it rains you will get wet. Even with a rain jacket, you'll still be sweating away inside there soaking your body from perspiration. Yes, goretex is supposed to be breathable... but I've had limited luck with that and honestly my philosophy is that you're gonna get wet, so you may as well get wet and just dress to dry out quickly afterwards. Pit zips only work for climbing, because your arms are reaching up and acting as baffles. They help a little, but not much with backpacking or most other stuff in my experience.

:siren:Water Treatment:siren:
  • Chemical treatment - Stuff like aqua mira kills all micro-organisms. Calcium hypochloride is what most municipal water departments in the US use to treat their water, so you can feel good about using it. I carry a few individually sealed tablets in my first aid kit just in case my water filter clogs up again.
    Pumps- The new MSR Guardian pump is crazy expensive, but claims to filter down to something like .01 microns, which would actually filter viruses, and it's supposed to backflush itself with every pump. Kinda cool!
  • Iodine tablets are bad for you, it concentrates in your liver and causes health problems later in life if used over a long period of time. A bunch of park rangers got sick because they used to use it in the seventies, which is why it's not used anymore.
  • Iodine Crystals - Polar Pure sells a kit which is really interesting, it's effectively reliable unlimited water treatment. Basically you treat a little bit of water in a container with the crystals, then add that treated water to a bottle to treat the water in there. The crystals then recharge another ounce of water which is ready to treat another liter after 20ish minutes (temperature depending). Works great, doesn't have much of a chemical taste, and doesn't fail.
  • Sawyer squeeze- cheap squeazable and light hollow tube filter membrane. This, like a bunch of other filters these days, use dialysis filters. Doesn't do viruses, but that's usually not an issue in North America. Can be a bit of work squeezing the bags though, and don't forget to backflush it after every use!
  • BeFree - Same filter as the Sawyer, but it's completely immersed so it has more surface are so it's significantly faster and easier to clean. It's what I use nowadays.

meselfs posted:

I have one of these and think highly of it. Backflushing isn't enough though - they recommend nuking it with bleach now and then. The idea is that it'll destroy all the organic matter stuck in there, but it's hard to find fragrance free bleach, and even if you do it's gunna be stinky unless you really put effort into clearing it out.

What I recommend is buying some 35% hydrogen peroxide off Amazon (go ahead and get food grade), mixing it 1:2 with boiling water (CAREFUL), and squeezing that through. You'll be surprised how easy your next squeeze will be. It will leave no residue, flush with a bit of normal water and it's like new.

• Gravity Filters - Fast and do a large volume, a bit heavier. Great for groups.

• Important note about hollow tune membrane filters like Sawyer and Befree—if they sit for awhile and dry out at home, be sure to soak them overnight before your next trip. The pores close up when they dry out, and it takes awhile for them to rehydrate. I’ve been unable to filter water during a trip because my filter had completely dried out over winter, and I thought the thing was clogged when it just needed to slowly rehydrate the membrane.

:siren:Materials:siren:
    I went over this briefly before, but it stands to mention again:

• Cotton -- You should not be wearing anything cotton. Jeans, tube socks, you name it. Cotton absorbs water, so it causes you to freeze when it's cold and blister when it's warm. You can't win, just don't try it.
  • Down -- Light, compressible, but expensive and doesn't work hardly at all when it's wet. Don't let your down bag get wet. Also doesn't wick water very well, eg when used in mid layer winter jackets.
  • Synthetic -- Wicks water exceptionally well, not as compressible as down, stinks after a few days. Includes Nylon, polypropylene, spandex, etc. Nylon stretches, poly type materials do not. You see ripstop nylon used in everything from packs to pants, to urethane or silicone coated nylon (silnylon) in tents, tarps, hammock. Parachute nylon is used in hammocks and other stuff. If you're looking for artificial fiber clothes on the cheap, try Academy.com for hiking pants, or goodwill for performance golf polos, or gym shorts are usually some flavor of eleven herbs and artificial fiber blends
  • Wool -- Doesn't stink like synthetic fibers do, keeps you warm even when wet, wicks water decently well but not as well as artificial fiber stuff. Merino is a breed of sheep in New Zealand/Australia, and generally has a very fine wool. Great for socks and t-shirts. Also very expensive, try checking eBay for deals on used gear.

• Darn tough socks are also pretty great, just thought they deserve a special mention. They have a real lifetime warranty, I've literally seen people pick them out of the trash and get brand new ones back

• Goretex and other "breathable" waterproof membranes essentially have outer weaves too tight to allow water in but do theoretically allow water out. Might as well get it since there's nothing better I'm aware of, but I haven't had much luck with the breath-ability promise. Silicone coated and urethane coated gear is not breathable.

• Cuben Fiber - Crazy light, crazy expensive.
    It's basically a laminated dyneema material, so it has a strong waterproof structure even with the loose weave, which also means it can be effectively repaired with tape. Check out Zpacks for great dyneema/CF packs and stuff

:siren:Hammocks:siren:
    My favorite topic by far! I personally use a Warbonnet Blackbird with Hammock Gear cuben tarp and quilts. Easy to set up and tear down, and ridiculously comfy to sleep in. https://tgo

• The key with hammocks is that you lay completely flat by laying at a slight diagonal. Also, it's virtually impossible to fall out of a gathered end hammocks--the only reason some hammocks are unstable are the spreader bars at the end which only exist because someone a hundred years ago couldn't figure out how to draw hammocks, and then some other dude tried making them by looking at this idiot's drawing and here we are a hundred years later with terrible misinformation and misunderstanding of hammocks.

• With a hammock, you need suspension, a tarp, optionally a bugnet or hammock sock in the winter, an underquilt or pad for bottom insulation, and a top quilt or sleeping bag for top insulation. That's it! I really love 12' of poly webbing (because polyester/polypropylene stuff doesn't stretch out like nylon does) and cinch buckles for quick easy adjustable suspension.

• Also make sure you hang your hammock at ~30* angle, for maximum comfort.

:siren:First Aid:siren:

bringer posted:

First aid kit chat: Hypothermia is a real killer. In addition to a basic day kit like in the OP, I carry a cheap survival bivvy bag (one of those plastic/Mylar ones), a waterproof/goretex shell, and a fleece/down jacket everywhere.

You can't rely on a cell signal in the mountains around here. If you're out on a simple 3-4 hour loop and someone goes down near the halfway point with a mobility injury it might be another 4 hours before they can be evacuated -- able bodied person will need 2 hours to get to the trailhead where they can hopefully place a call, then another hour or two for rescue if they decide you rate a helicopter. Longer than that if you get lost or they need to walk you out.

I also keep an extra Bic lighter and a couple waxed cotton balls in a ziplock in my first aid kit for that same wait-for-rescue scenario.

If you wear contacts you really should have a couple spare disposables in your kit as well, and a glasses repair kit if you wear those. Busting a pair of glasses and not being able to repair them is a good way to find out how useful the rest of your first aid kit is after you blunder into easily avoidable hazards.

ASSTASTIC posted:

One piece of equipment that always goes into every single med kit I have is a roll of athletic tape. Get GOOD tape (johnson&johnson). If you get a nice gash out on the trail and have bullshit tape in your kit, it won't stick to poo poo if you sweat. I was hiking one time and hit a section of jagged rocks. Tripped on one of the rocks and got a nice gas on my shin. Wasn't horrible enough that I needed stitches, but wasn't fun either. No way a bandaid would be able to close up the wound, but I did have a roll of tape.

Made a makeshift absorbent pad (with the tape) and taped up my shin. Only issue I had after that was the lack of hair from removing the tape afterwards. Athletic tape is great because it not only sticks well to skin, and sweaty skin, but to itself extremely well.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Unless she's taking a backcountry first responder course, realistically there's not a whole lot you can do first aid wise. I bring liquid bandage, alcohol wipe or two and a little bit of gauze for bleeding, ibuprofen for anti inflammation and pain, moleskin patch for blisters, bendryl for allergic reactions, zinc oxide paste for irritation and chafing, a tick key, clippers, tweezers, and some ace wrap for sprains and junk. That's way over prepared in my book.
    Someone who has recently taken a wilderness first aid course feel free to point out that I'm an idiot!

Reviewed: July 2022

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
:siren:Cookwear/Stoves:siren:
    If you want to save weight or are just getting started, you don’t really need a stove. Between clif bars, jerky, pb&j, fruit, pepperoni n cheese bagels, etc, you can eat really well without a stove. I bring a canister stove because I love morning cup o joe, and it’s a treat to have a hot meal at night.

Stoves by type:
  • White Gas - heavier, but the stoves work really well in cold weather

• Canister
    What most people probably use. MSR Pocket Rocket is the gold standard. I personally user an Olicamp Ion that I love, especially with the Olicamp XTS
    pot which has heat absorber fins, similar to the jetboil.

• Alcohol

CopperHound posted:

Several months later I decided to do something about not having a pot stand for my alcohol stove:

And it fits in the pot:

I used this tool to draw the cone template for me: http://zenstoves.net/PotStands-Conical.htm#ConeTemplates

• Fuels:
    Alcohol Fuels:

meselfs posted:

Both are toxic, but red HEET is isopropanol, a heavier alcohol which will burn with soot.

Don't buy either, buy Klean Strip Green alcohol because it has the highest concentration of ethanol, which is the perfect balance of energy dense and being almost soot-free. Or Everclear if you want your fuel to be multipurpose.

I've tried a couple stoves, including the pricier ones, and still love my Trangia best. Storing fuel in it makes it so easy I often take it on day hikes just to make tea.

Ephphatha posted:

Might as well expand a bit on fuels for alcohol stoves. Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? gives a decent rundown of the different types of fuels and the recommendations are solid, but it's good to be aware of the regional variations when it comes to sourcing your fuels.

Edit: I should add that alcohol stoves are popular because they're small and cheap, Tetkoba's Alcohol Stove Addict is a great channel if you're looking at making your own alcohol stove.

• Cooking over a campfire:

OSU_Matthew posted:

Tons of people don't bring a stove! Just pick food you don't need to heat up. A lot of dehydrated meals will re-hydrate just fine cold, or pack granola bars, jerky, trail mix, peanut butter, tortillas, etc. Heating water over the fire is a tremendous pain in the rear end and I guarantee will not turn out well. One, building a fire takes a lot of time and energy. Two, a cooking fire needs to be hot coals, which takes hours to build up to. Orange flames make for a terrible cooking fire, it's not very hot at all. Lastly, how are you going to suspend your pot over the flames to boil the water? And now your pot is going to get blackened and nasty from the fire. Hot Dogs and smores are good over the fire though, but I wouldn't get too ambitious otherwise.

• Solid fuels - Esbit tablets are popular lightweight options. They also make great firestarters and are pretty cheap, but don't smell great and leave a residue on your pot. They also don't boil very fast like a canister stove. But they're super cheap, super light, and super reliable.

• FogHelmut posted:

I'm in the car camping headspace because I'm going next weekend.

Cast Iron:

Cast iron pans and Dutch ovens are sturdy and reliable. You can throw them straight in the fire on the coals or over a burner with them. They are super heavy and should normally be used for car camping.

Ozark Trail - these are inexpensive and made in China. Cast iron is basically just cast iron so they cook just as well as anything else. HOWEVER, the seasoning that comes on the pans is garbage. It's about as rough as 40 grit sandpaper, and often flakes. They are thinner than other brands, but not prohibitively so, and this may be an advantage if you're concerned about weight. The pans themselves have short handles and may get hot quickly and this may also make them more difficult to cook with. If you are willing to put in the effort of stripping, sanding, and reseasoning them, you cannot beat the value.

Lodge - this is the standard brand that everyone has. Made in USA. You can cook in them right out of the box without need to reseason. They are thick heavy and sturdy and well-made. These are going to cost you about 2-3x as much as Ozark Trail. Only the extremely anal people will need to modify these to make them smoother.

Bespoke small batch farm to table modern cast iron - I guess there's a bunch of people who dress like 1930s train conductors and call themselves artisans and live in Brooklyn and make cast iron pans like the vintage ones but they cost hundreds of dollars each.

Vintage cast iron - Before the 1950s, cast iron was the standard cookware. There were many major brands in the United States selling cast iron pans. The manufacturing process was different and took several days to complete, vs around 90 minutes as it is today. These came unseasoned and it was expected that you would season them at home. They came with a smooth as glass finish, allowing you to do all of the things you do with your non-stick pants today. These are still around and can be found at garage sales, auctions, flea markets and second hand stores for reasonable prices. Brands include Griswold, Wagner, Lodge, etc.

Cleaning - this is a contentious topic because it became popular a little while ago to tell people not to use soap in their cast iron pans. Sorry to tell you, your grandmother used soap in her cast iron. It did not ruin the seasoning. In fact, the seasoning is just a layer of polymerized oils that protect the iron and keep things from sticking to it. It is not a layer of rancid oil and old food that gives flavor to your new food, or at least I hope it shouldn't be. If your seasoning job is worth half a poo poo, you can use some soap and a rag or sponge to wash out your pan without ruining it. Just don't let it soak for hours in Dawn or something like that. Dry quickly after a washing and don't let water sit on it.

If you still believe the hype and are paranoid about soap, you can scrub out your pan with kosher salt, a stainless steel brillo, or one of those silly chainmail wash cloths.

:siren: Food! :siren:
    2020 Dehydrated food chat starting here:

MoldyFrog posted:

In terms of what to pack and eat anymore thanks to America's laziness there are tons of cheap "instant" meals open to you if don't mind putting it all together yourself. On the better side so to speak there's places like backpackingpantry and others that have put together quick to make solid meals.

If you are a diy fan then aim for at least 100 calories an ounce. Then you can budget about 1.5lbs a day for food. That gives you enough to be at a small deficit. I shoot for 3000+ calories myself a day, about 2lbs, as to minimize weight loss on a longer trip.

For good quick options you got any of the knoor brand side dishes. Things like flavored mashed potatoes, rice and broccoli, chicken and rice. There's instant macaroni, look for the stuff with the tiny noodles. They'll cook faster and more completely than regular sized mac noodles. Bear creek soups are pretty good and pack some good calories.

If any local stores have a good bulk section you can get instant refried beans, quick cooking oatmeals, hummus powder you reconstitute and toss onto some wraps you can bring. Hard cheeses and most sausages will keep a few days. There's always the ever popular snicker bars and pop tarts for calorie boosts. Bring a few ounces of oil in a bottle. A lot of extra calories an ounce there and most foods will easily take the oil.

For a wider variety of options you can get into dehydrated "survival" foods at Wal-Mart. Then you get into dehydrated eggs and fruits. Instant milk and such as well. Dehydrated cheese and freeze dried meats can be added to almost anything to bulk them up and add calories.

The freezer bag cooking website has a bunch of recipes. There's really a lot you can do anymore. Personally I'm a fan of soups. Harder to scorch a soup and the extra water is generally always welcome. Makes clean up easier too. I generally try to build 600 calorie blocks. One each for breakfast, lunch and dinner and than two snack blocks.

At the end of day you're going to build around rice, beans or a pasta. Grab some noodles and cheese sauce and you got mac and cheese. You can add chicken or bacon easily to change it up. Switch the noodles to a thin noodle and swap the sauce for a dehydrated white sauce and you have fettuccini. Meat additions are the same. Swap out the white sauce for powdered tomatoes and spices and you got spaghetti. Toss the noodles into a bunch of water and make chicken noodle soup.

Only difference between home cooking amd outdoors is that outdoors you're going to end up most likely with one main dish. You're probably not going to make food A and then make a food B side dish. It will be a big helping of something and maybe some left over snack foods.

meselfs posted:

YES TO MAKING YOUR OWN! If I had the time and energy I'd make my own thread on this. I recommend to anyone: buy a cheap (or not) dehydrator and make your own jerky. It's so easy and soooo good.

Another idea is a bit obscure: make sujuk, a weird kind of half-dried sausage, somewhere between "normal" cured charcuterie and jerky. I haven't tried making it yet but will soon. It's dense, compact, moist enough, and is really satisfying to slice with a knife.

You can do wacky dried fruits too on the cheap. My daughter and I are real fond of kiwi chips, which I've never seen for sale.

When I just started backpacking I figured along with all the other sacrifices one makes to be in the glorious outdoors, awesome food can be one. I'm consistently wrong. I take the most comforting lightweight food possible with me, and also copious tea with my stainless steel double wall bottle.

Inspiring resource: http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go
  • Check out packit gourmet for great dehydrated meals!
  • If you like to make your own, I like Pad Thai, which is just dehydrated chicken, rice noodles, pb2 peanut butter concentrate, Knorr dehydrated veggies, and sriracha to flavor after cooking the rest rehydrate in boiled water for 7 minutes

• Also, Tasty Bites Madras Lentils are loving awesome, especially with a pouch of chicken, corn, quinoa, and hawaiian rolls. Fried onions on the top for extra flavor!

:siren: Random Stuff! :siren:
  • Who else desperately wants an Oru folding kayak?
    (Update — Bought one a few years ago, they’re pretty great, but stupid expensive. Held up great for almost 4 years, then got too fat and wanted a more capable boat so I sold the ORU for close to what I purchased it for and bought a Jackson Tupelo. Roanoke River trail is incredible if you like kayak camping)
  • There's a whole kayaking thread in TGO!

:siren: Vendors/Best of Recommendations :siren:
  • Looking for affordable used gear?

meselfs posted:

seems like a good opportunity to bring up http://www.geartrade.com/

There's a lot of information out there, but not all of it is good. For instance, outdoorgearlab is just an advertising schill that completely ignores a lot of great stuff. But I also appreciate the testing on stuff, so :shrug:

:frogsiren:After every trip, make sure to pull out all your gear and let it air out. Yes, even if it didn't rain, it got wet from sweat, condensation, etc, and mold will absolutely destroy that nice shiny new 500$ tent. You can pack it back up after a few days, but take care of your gear! :frogsiren:

• Clean your shoes, especially if they're leather. Oil your boots. Don't leave a banana in a bear canister, I did that once for a few months, and it was like a million spiders shat all over everything

Oh, and here's a great link for used gear:

https://lwhiker.com/used-gear-search/recent

It's an aggregator for all the various used gear marketplaces on the different lightweight forums. Allows you to search everything from one convenient spot.

Here’s a really great post about layering for cold and wet weather:

Verman posted:

That would be my suggestion. 40 degrees can really vary. 40 degrees and sunny might have me wearing a lot less than 40 degrees, rain and 15 mph winds. Everyone is different in how they perceive and regulate temperatures etc. Wearing three leg layers for 40 degrees and strenuous activity seems excessive. Stash the rainwear until you need it otherwise you're going to be soaked even before the rain comes. In general, you will likely start the hike somewhat cool because you will warm up once you start moving and have an extra layer or two in your bag for when you stop/if the weather gets cooler. If you're warm and comfortable at the car in your given layers, you are going to be too warm on the trail and likely will start sweating once you're moving along. I dont wear rainwear unless its raining. It usually doesn't breathe well so I dont wear it unless I have to, especially the pants.

Essentially you want to create layers that stack so that you're not having to stop and completely swap out what you're wearing for something else. You can onion peel and put things on as needed, take things off as needed.

Here would be my layer options for 40 degree wet weather:

Head
Beanie. You lose a lot of heat through your head. You might not need it but in the event the weather turns or you stop and get chilly, it will help a ton.

Torso
Base layer: (long sleeve technical shirt or long underwear for more warmth). For long underwear, I wear pretty thin stuff. Super thick long underwear can overheat very quickly and its difficult to remove once layered.
Mid layer: This needs to be insulating and since you said wet weather, avoid down since it loses its insulation once wet. Something like a decent weight wool (insulates when wet) or fleece sweater/hoodie/jacket should work.
Top Layer: Rain jacket - pretty self explanitory. It is mostly to keep you dry but it can help hold in heat but it can also cause you to sweat.
Extra layer in your bag: This is your bonus layer you will bring in your bag in case the 40º weather turns into 28º. Anything from another base layer or mid layer will do. It doesnt have to be a nuclear warmth option, just something extra that will add to what you're wearing and make the smallest difference.

Legs
Socks: Wool socks, decent weight. Wool does the best in wet weather in terms of drying, not stinking, and keeping you warm.
Base Layer: Long underwear or leggings (depending on thickness)
Outer Layer: Traditional hiking pants (non insulated synthetic, water repellent etc)
Rain Layer: Only use when needed
Optional: Leg gaiters, they keep snow out of your boots and guess what, they work pretty well for rain too. Most peoples shoes wet out in wet weather not because they stepped in water but because their pants and legs are pushing water down their legs into their boots. Put them beneath your rain pants and your feet should stay pretty dry.

:siren: Bonus Ultralight Gear Chat! :siren:

PoorHobo posted:

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've been looking into some Ultralight stuff for my upcoming PCT Thru. Since the climate is different, my sleep system might not work due to colder nights, and you might want to double up on water filtration due to less people helping out hikers on that trail. That being said, here's what I think for the categories below. (FWIW, I'm 6'4", 25 y/o, 175 lbs so my big and tall decisions should still work in the height range for you)

The biggest cost and weight are going to be in your big 4, which you have listed in these next 4.

Pack
The rule of ultralight is that you shouldn't be bringing anything more than what you need. Having a larger pack gives you more space to fill with what you don't need. The advice I've been given is to order your pack LAST so that you can purchase based on size of physical items you already have. I opted for the ULA Circut 68L bag that I got on craigslist. It weighs just about 2.25 lbs with waterproofed material.

Tent
50% more than your budget, the zPacks DupleXL is $750 for a 2 person tent meant for taller individuals. They claim the Dyneema is waterproof up to 15,000mm and that the bathtub floor is strong enough to forgo a groundsheet. I'd bring a Polycro one anyway because it's super light, cheap, and saves your tent for future trips.

Closer to your budget, but a tight squeeze, is the Gossamer Gear "The Two", which is what I purchased for myself ($325 on sale, $375 normally). It's waterproof up to 3000mm and held up in the latest CA Storm with 40 mph gusts.

Both of these need hiking poles to set up, but you should be hiking with those anyway.

Sleeping Bag/Quilt
This is where I know the least, and is up to debate on what is good. Synthetic is heavier, but resists getting waterlogged more and lasts longer. In the end, I went with another zPacks item, their classic 20* bag that I bought through Reddit for about $250. Weighs slightly over 20oz and has an incredibly warm footbox.

If you're buying new, the latest and greatest I've seen for thru-hikers is the Enlightened Equipment Revelation. Decently priced, and has an option for long/wide that will fit you if you're an active sleeper, long/reg for static.

Sleeping Pad
The sleeping pad I have is the Thermarest XLite Long, weighs about a pound with an R-Value of 4.4. It's the best weight to heat ratio I could find, but it is kinda crinkly to sleep on and has the ability to pop. Seems like most people purchase the Closed Cell Foam pads and cut them to size for weight savings. Cheap and light, and can work as a pack frame if you decide to go super light and get a frameless bag.

Footwear
Altra Lone Peak 5.0s are the hot ticket right now, but the Merrel MOABs are still highly regarded. Honorable mention is the Hoka One One trail runners. All should be in stock at REI and you can try them on to see which work best for you. I ended up with the Altras due to the tread, and larger footbox.

I don't really have knowledge on camp shoes. I've heard of people taking old insoles, and thrashing them to their feet with shoelaces, however. Light and if you have old shoes, free.

Stove
I have the pocket Rocket 2, and it is pretty dang loud. Not that much of an issue, but there's a reason it's called the rocket. I've heard good things about the snowpeak Litemax stove. It's a little lighter and a bit more expensive, but I've never heard a bad thing about it, or one ever breaking.

I've been able to get a good, 3-4 hours of burner time on my medium-sized can, which translates to around 90-120 minutes for the 4 oz that fits in my toaks 700 ml pot. At least on the PCT, there are enough towns that you can purchase a new can in town when you get there and if you run out in between towns, you just cold soak your food for a day or two.

Clothes
If you're interested in a rain skirt, and have a DIY bone in your body, there's a kit to make one relatively cheap out of Dyneema.

The outer layer champion is the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer, although it's fairly expensive at $300. If you don't mind a little heavier, I've considered purchasing some stuff from Uniqlo in their ultralight down jackets. I would say to test it first, since I haven't heard of anyone else online talking about them.

GPS
Good call on the inReach Mini. I've been going back and forth on which subscription to buy, but it all boils down to if you have people at home who would worry about you. If you want to be left alone, the SOS button is really all you need, and maybe the cheapest plan to send text messages once in a while to say "we are okay" or something like that.

I'll be using an inReach with the mobile app "FarOut" on my phone.

Headlamp
Nitecore NU20 if you are hiking solo, Nitecore NU25 has a red light so you don't blind people when you look at them. Tips say to replace the headband with lashcord to save a few grams, but I'm not quite that hardcore yet.

Watch
The latest Apple Watch has that kinda stuff, if you're an apple user. Otherwise, Garmin's line of smartwatches has a few, including one that has a solar charger on the face so it can last almost indefinitely when GPS is off.

Edit: Here's my pack list if you're interested https://lighterpack.com/r/22653l

:siren: Getting Started - Camping On A Budget :siren:

RodShaft posted:

My advice would be to think about what you have that you can already use, then buy budget gear to fill in the rest. Then figure out what you like and don't, and upgrade to more expensive equipment accordingly.

A lot of times when people are asking for recommendations (not necessarily here) they get a list of high end equipment that is great for the person recommending it but doesn't fit the recommendee.

There's a LOT of "camping on a budget" videos out there on YouTube, watch a couple. I think you'll be surprised how little you actually need to buy to car camp.

Now for my recommendations:

Tent:
There's nothing wrong with Ozark trail (Walmart brand) and Coleman you can get a tent that will work perfectly fine for under 50 bucks with a return policy. It won't be the best quality, but it'll be fine and help inform you what you're actually looking for. (You could easily spend $400 on a great tent, then realize you don't need the space. Space don't like the set up. Decide you want to backpack so you need something lighter) bonus, when you do upgrade, you can loan it to friends when they want to go camping with you.

Sleeping pad:
You probably have an air mattress you can already use, if not they're ultralight inflatable pads that are meant for backpacking but we use them even for car camping because they don't take up as much space. They are not nearly as thick as an air mattress, we're talking like two plus inches. If you're a bigger guy or a slide sleeper, you're going to want at least 4 in, or just buy a cheap air mattress. You can throw those foam exercise mats or yoga mat underneath them for a little more insulation. And not much more padding. Two Budget brands are teckology and sleepingo. (They actually sell insulated sleeping pads but I don't believe there's any budget options there)

Sleeping bag:
The temperature rating on these is the temperature at which you will not freeze to death, not the temperature you will be comfortable at. So if it's rated 40° it might be okay in like 60° weather. Regular size sleeping bags aren't super popular anymore. Mummy style is more common. There are now quilts that are basically sleeping bags without padding on the bottom because you're going to be sleeping on it and compressing that anyway to save weight, but that's not really a concern for car camping. I'm not much up on this particular subject because I hammock camp with down blankets. I have a Coleman sleeping bag for car camping, but I wouldn't recommend Coleman on this particular item. I have a generic mummy sleeping bag. I don't know what the temperature rated is but I like it way better. Hopefully somebody has more insight on this topic. Again, you probably have something you can use.

Hammock:
Buy a hammock. You can get them with mosquito nets, but seriously try it. Changer for me when I finally gave up and tried it. I wouldn't be able to backpack if hammock camping wasn't a thing because my back is so bad that I cannot sleep on a little inflatable pad and move much the next day. That being said, you probably have less stuff that will work for hammock camping. You need a hammock with a mosquito net, an underquilt, and a tarp in case it rains, bare minimum. I use quilts instead of a sleeping bag because of the under quilt. I have an ultralight quilt but you can use one of those crinkly blue plastic ones sold pretty much everywhere. You need the under quilt because with all that air underneath you a slight breeze can just suck the warmth out of you. It's basically half a sleeping bag that goes under your hammock. If nothing else, just bring a hammock with you camping. It's great to lay in any way, And you can get not terrible ones for like 20 bucks.

I'll post some more recommendations later, like I said, this is all just budget stuff to get you out there to see what you like and what you want out of camping that you can then spend your camping budget on upgrading the gear you want. Want. As an example, I went through three different hammocks before I found the one that I use now. And if I would have bought a $400 hammock in the first style, I would still be using it and not enjoying hiking as much asi do, But I'd be stuck cuz that was my whole budget.

quote="Verman" post="535643525"]
This

... is good advice. Basically everything I would've said but I'll give my 2¢ as well.

Start out small. Agreed with doing a short distance trail that way you can easily back out etc if needed. I won't lie, I went through a bit of anxiety on my first few trips. You can feel a bit vulnerable being so far away from things in a remote part of the backcountry, far away from help. With time and experience it goes away but some people experience it, others not so much. Overpacking is a big deal. Most beginners worry so much about forgetting things they might need that they bring a lot of extra junk.

I'll give a few gear guidance recommendations though.

Backpacking is like stripped down camping. You need most of the same systems but in a smaller, lighter package. The more you go, the more you will notice what you need, what you don't. Its nice to keep a list the first few times to keep track of what you used, what you didn't, and what you might want to add.

Base weight is the gear needed for a trip minus food and water. Trip length and weather are the biggest variables on your pack weight. Your base weight will be mostly the same for a 2 day as a 7 day trip. Food and water will be what adds the most weight.

I would recommend to aim for a 20-30lb base weight, 30-40lb fully loaded pack weight for your first few trips. That includes water/food. Food is a tricky thing as each person will have their preferences. The freeze dried stuff is convenient but expensive and doesn't always taste great. There are some smaller boutique brands making better stuff but its pricey. Things like jerky, tortillas, cheese, dried sausage and cured meats, nuts, dry soup kits, noodles, instant sides like Knorr brands, peanut butter, honey, rice etc are all easy to bring and last without refrigeration. There are trail focused cookbooks to help with eating on trail.

Here are the basics:
Pack (for 3+ days I would recommend a 60L pack. Its just the right size for most people. Osprey atmos is my absolute favorite I will recommend to everybody)
Shelter (tent, tarp, bivvy etc: Usually a 2 person tent under 5 lbs, REI passage 2 is a good entry level backpacking tent, nemo hornet for upgraded option)
Sleep (sleeping bag, pad. I generally recommend a 15-20ºF bag under 3lbs if you can. Kelty cosmic 20 down is the go to recommendation. Also love big agnes insulated air pads as they're very plush)
Cooking (stove/jet boil, pot/bowl, food, lighter/matches. This is a tough one. MSR pocket rockets are well loved, as are jet boils. Pros and cons with each but its a personal preference)
Hydration (water storage (bladder or bottles), water filter for purifying. Bottle or cup for drinking while at camp or mixing drinks)
Clothing (pants, undies, socks, base layer, mid layer, outer layer, rain/snow gear if appropriate) I generally bring far fewer clothes nowadays. Darn tough wool socks, exofficio boxer briefs, and one outfit with maybe a shirt or two to change out. I usually wear the same convertible pants for the course of a trip.
First aid/toiletry (first aid kit for common injuries, prescription meds, allergy stuff, pepto tablets). This can be as small as a ziplock baggie since you're not doing combat trauma on the trail. Cuts, burns, stings, upset stomach, pain relief and allergy are the most common things to have to deal with. Also look for a pocket sized wilderness first aid guide to keep with it for basic guidance. I look at my first aid kit as a toiletry kit so toilet paper and/or nature wipes, hand sanitizer, soap, chap stick.
Navigation (map, compass, gps, beacon if desired). I usually only bring GPS on new trails or places I'm not familiar with.
Tools (small knife, paracord, tent pole repair tube, small bit of duct tape, air mattress patches if using one) You don't need a rambo knife to kill a moose or chop down a tree with. Leave the hatchet at home. A small swiss army knife or a single blade knife is most all you need for opening packages, cutting food, cutting cord etc.
Lighting (headlamps). Headlamps are the most useful light. Bring a battery bank or spare batteries to keep it going. Lanterns and string lights are okay but a headlamp is a must. This technology is getting so cheap now that you can buy a black diamond or petzl but you can also buy a cheaper amazon no name for insanely cheap.
Protection (bugs, sun, sunglasses). Some places are worse than others but play to the area you're going. Small form factor is ideal. Sunglasses are crucial on sunny places without much cover.

Hiking poles are one of those things I rarely use on day hikes but I use on my backpacking trips. It saves my knees and hips on long or steep days.

Extras These are your creature comforts like a book or kindle, a deck of cards, hammock, chair, battery bank/solar panel, camera gear, coffee making stuff. Every ounce counts and you feel it with every step so you'll need to justify what's worth the added weight.

REI rents out most backpacking items so you can try things out before investing. You can easily spend a thousand or more on gear to go backpacking. The great thing is it can mostly be shared with someone else. Each person doesn't need their own tent, stove or water filter. I would recommend trying it before you buy it. Shop used if you can for things like packs and stoves.
[/quote]

Updated: Feb 2024

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 17, 2024

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
on the first aid stuff yeah basically if it's something that's major enough and goes beyond simple abrasions, cuts or tweaks, the idea is that you need to evacuate. You're not going to fix a major problem in the backcountry, don't carry a giant first aid kit because you think you're going to re-attach your arm, the goal is to stop bleeding or stabilize whatever the wound is and either gtfo or call for help.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

OSU_Matthew posted:

Alcohol
Fuels:
eg don't buy red HEET, it's toxic... or was it yellow that was toxic?

Both are toxic, but red HEET is isopropanol, a heavier alcohol which will burn with soot.

Don't buy either, buy Klean Strip Green alcohol because it has the highest concentration of ethanol, which is the perfect balance of energy dense and being almost soot-free. Or Everclear if you want your fuel to be multipurpose.

I've tried a couple stoves, including the pricier ones, and still love my Trangia best. Storing fuel in it makes it so easy I often take it on day hikes just to make tea.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Sawyer squeeze- cheap squeazable and light hollow tube filter membrane. Doesn't do viruses, but that's usually not an issue in North America. Can be a bit of work squeezing the bags though, and don't forget to backflush it after every use!

I have one of these and think highly of it. Backflushing isn't enough though - they recommend nuking it with bleach now and then. The idea is that it'll destroy all the organic matter stuck in there, but it's hard to find fragrance free bleach, and even if you do it's gunna be stinky unless you really put effort into clearing it out.

What I recommend is buying some 35% hydrogen peroxide off Amazon (go ahead and get food grade), mixing it 1:2 with boiling water (CAREFUL), and squeezing that through. You'll be surprised how easy your next squeeze will be. It will leave no residue, flush with a bit of normal water and it's like new.

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you like to make your own, I like Pad Thai, which is just dehydrated chicken, rice noodles, pb2 peanut butter concentrate, Knorr dehydrated veggies, and sriracha to flavor after cooking the rest rehydrate in boiled water for 7 minutes

Also, Tasty Bites Madras Lentils are loving awesome, especially with a pouch of chicken, corn, quinoa, and hawaiian rolls. Fried onions on the top for extra flavor!

YES TO MAKING YOUR OWN! If I had the time and energy I'd make my own thread on this. I recommend to anyone: buy a cheap (or not) dehydrator and make your own jerky. It's so easy and soooo good.

Another idea is a bit obscure: make sujuk, a weird kind of half-dried sausage, somewhere between "normal" cured charcuterie and jerky. I haven't tried making it yet but will soon. It's dense, compact, moist enough, and is really satisfying to slice with a knife.

You can do wacky dried fruits too on the cheap. My daughter and I are real fond of kiwi chips, which I've never seen for sale.

When I just started backpacking I figured along with all the other sacrifices one makes to be in the glorious outdoors, awesome food can be one. I'm consistently wrong. I take the most comforting lightweight food possible with me, and also copious tea with my stainless steel double wall bottle.

Inspiring resource: http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

How to make a hammock:
1.)Find a loving table cloth: http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/tablecloths-Table-Linens-Chair-Covers-Sashes-s/132.htm
2.)Lash the ends http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html or just gather it and tie a sheet bend with your loving suspension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I
3.)Hang the hammock and don't you dare use loving rope on a tree in a public park and ruin it for the rest of us: https://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/hammock-camping-101/

Congratulations. You just made an ENO hammock for less than 1/3 the price.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 21, 2017

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

OSU_Matthew posted:

The colder it is outside, the more likely it is you'll have to pee in the middle of the night. Don't hold it in and suffer, just do it, your body is trying to expel the water because it takes a lot of energy to heat up. Yeah it sucks when it's four degrees out, but you'll feel a lot better when you do.

This bit is a little iffy, the wording makes it sound like it's the water in your bladder that is the heat loss, rather than constricting blood vessels in your skin due to cold causes more blood to be filtered into water in your bladder. Though exact cause and mechanisms is afaik still debated.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Might as well expand a bit on fuels for alcohol stoves. Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? gives a decent rundown of the different types of fuels and the recommendations are solid, but it's good to be aware of the regional variations when it comes to sourcing your fuels.

Summarised from that article: Ethanol and methanol are the main alcohols used for alcohol fuel stoves. While they both burn fairly cleanly and produce decent heat output methanol is highly toxic if ingested. Ethanol is safer (it's what you want in booze) and burns hotter making pure ethanol solutions the preferred fuel. Actually getting highly concentrated ethanol will vary depending on your region and it can be very expensive or outright impossible to find a safe supply. Denatured alcohol solutions are more readily available, these will generally be an ethanol solution with a denaturing agent to discourage recreational consumption. Often the denaturing agent will be methanol (methylated spirits) or some other potentially toxic additive, so care should be taken when storing/transporting it and before burning it. Next up would be pure methanol solutions (e.g. yellow HEET). While toxic methanol does have a lower boiling point which makes it more reliable as a fuel in colder weather. It would also be more readily available given that it is unfit for consumption and so isn't taxed as an alcohol. Finally isopropanol (rubbing alcohol, red HEET) can be used in a pinch but as it produces a lot of soot and is toxic methanol would be a better choice.

Fuels to look for:
  • High proof alcohol (190 proof, meaning 95% ethanol) - Might be available at a liquor store but will be expensive in countries that tax alcohol.
  • Ethanol Absolute (laboratory grade ethanol - 95-99%) - Could be sourced from chemical suppliers, however you need to be very careful as solutions above 95% cannot be achieved without an additive. Benzene is the most common additive and is highly toxic even at the small concentrations used for these solutions. Look for 95% ethanol.
  • Denatured Alcohol/Methylated Spirits - If you're in a country that bans methanol as a denaturing agent* you can find solutions of 60-95% ethanol with the solvents/cleaners at hardware stores and the like. You would still need to check the MSDS before using it as a fuel but if you can find 95% ethanol with no toxic denaturing agents you're golden.

For countries which use methanol as a denaturing agent ethanol/methanol blends would still be worth investigating. As ethanol burns hotter than methanol a blend with a good ratio of ethanol to methanol and minimal other additives would still be better than pure methanol solutions.

* For example, Australia and New Zealand do not allow methanol to be added to methylated spirits. 95% ethanol solutions are available at hardware stores advertised as solvents (Methylated Spirits) or stove fuel (Bio-Flame). Both of those products are effectively identical, the bioflame smells slightly better and costs twice as much.

Edit: I should add that alcohol stoves are popular because they're small and cheap, most designs can be easily constructed from aluminium cans with a pair of scissors and a small drill bit. Tetkoba's Alcohol Stove Addict is a great channel if you're looking at making your own alcohol stove.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 21, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Even if your plans are just going on a day hike, think about what you'll need to survive overnight and bring it. poo poo can get ugly in the backcountry. Nature is not safe. Accidents happen and sometimes you get caught. Research what the trending temperature and conditions have been for nights in the area for that time of year and prepare accordingly.

Some places the temperature and conditions will vary little, so you won't need to worry too much. But where I live, it can easily snow at altitude at night int he summer while it was super warm during the day, and it's something I always need to consider if I happen to have a bad accident and am forced to spend the night.

I learned this the hard way. While I didn't spend the night, I got into major trouble in the late afternoon, and it took over 2 hours to secure a rescue on a cliff overlooking the town where the rescue team was based. In that time the temperature dropped significantly and I had neglected to bring a fleece jacket, I just had my lightweight waterproof shell. The trip was projected to be only a few hours, but I had my accident towards the end of it. On top of being in shock, I was freezing cold and it was way worse a time than it could have been had I been prepared with the proper layers. So don't skimp on any trip!

I also find it helpful to know just how much water your body needs in a day to perform optimally. It might vary a bit from person to person, but I know for me that if I'm not getting 3 litres a day while backpacking I start to get dizzy and experience blackouts. For that reason, I love my Nalgene because I can track exactly how much I'm drinking and keeping myself properly hydrated. I have a litre and half bottle so as long as I drink two of them I'm solid.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I recently upgraded my pack from a 20-year-old external frame (still perfectly good :black101: just lacking in modern amenities), and am I the only one who thinks that having a 'dedicated sleeping bag compartment' at the bottom of most new packs is kind of weird? I mean of course you can do whatever with whatever, but I'm used to putting the bag in a stuffsack and cinching it down with the top flap over the rest of everything else. In my mind heavy stuff goes down in that area to keep center of gravity low. What am I missing?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Dunno, people like being able to pull it out of the bottom for some reason.

I think heavy stuff is best in the lower middle not necessarily the absolute bottom but can't remember where I got that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Well Imma put my food and water down there, and if Osprey wants to come tell me otherwise I'll fight 'em.

Anyone have a good recommendation for lightweight optics? I like birding and backpacking, but my nice binoculars are too heavy and awkward to bring while hiking. Ideally I'd like something that can clip to a gear hook on a shoulder strap, so probably a monocular, at least 10x.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Chard posted:

Well Imma put my food and water down there, and if Osprey wants to come tell me otherwise I'll fight 'em.

I use a big BD rock climbing bag for everything. I love it because it's just... like... a big bag thing without anything fancy.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Chard posted:

In my mind heavy stuff goes down in that area to keep center of gravity low. What am I missing?
Moving your weight higher in the pack can help you stand more upright.

Here is a lovely example of how you would have to balance if your pack's center of mass is at the red spot:

There is a limit to how much weight you would want high, especially on technical terrain. Small movements of the pack can push you off balance.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
First aid kit chat: Hypothermia is a real killer. In addition to a basic day kit like in the OP, I carry a cheap survival bivvy bag (one of those plastic/Mylar ones), a waterproof/goretex shell, and a fleece/down jacket everywhere.

You can't rely on a cell signal in the mountains around here. If you're out on a simple 3-4 hour loop and someone goes down near the halfway point with a mobility injury it might be another 4 hours before they can be evacuated -- able bodied person will need 2 hours to get to the trailhead where they can hopefully place a call, then another hour or two for rescue if they decide you rate a helicopter. Longer than that if you get lost or they need to walk you out.

I also keep an extra Bic lighter and a couple waxed cotton balls in a ziplock in my first aid kit for that same wait-for-rescue scenario.

If you wear contacts you really should have a couple spare disposables in your kit as well, and a glasses repair kit if you wear those. Busting a pair of glasses and not being able to repair them is a good way to find out how useful the rest of your first aid kit is after you blunder into easily avoidable hazards.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
One piece of equipment that always goes into every single med kit I have is a roll of athletic tape. Get GOOD tape (johnson&johnson). If you get a nice gash out on the trail and have bullshit tape in your kit, it won't stick to poo poo if you sweat. I was hiking one time and hit a section of jagged rocks. Tripped on one of the rocks and got a nice gas on my shin. Wasn't horrible enough that I needed stitches, but wasn't fun either. No way a bandaid would be able to close up the wound, but I did have a roll of tape.

Made a makeshift absorbent pad (with the tape) and taped up my shin. Only issue I had after that was the lack of hair from removing the tape afterwards. Athletic tape is great because it not only sticks well to skin, and sweaty skin, but to itself extremely well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ASSTASTIC posted:

I got turned on to that stuff years ago and it's pretty much replaced Band-Aids for me. And yeah, if you can't stand to use alcohol to loosen it first, you gonna get baby-butt smooth legs once you get that tape off.

I was actually shopping for first aid supplies the other day and came across what appears to be a consumer version of Quick clot. I was in a hurry and didn't really read the package, but it seem to be like single use tubes, but they were pretty large, like the size of those singleserving ice tea powders. Has anyone else seen this stuff?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I did look into it a little but decided against buying some for my first aid kit. From what I read, It burns like hell and has to be completely washed out before you can get stitched up. It is pretty much stuff that should be a last resort to bleeding out from a severed artery. Do you see yourself barely winning any knife fights?

I put a few steri-strips and some benzoin tincture in my first aid kit for deep cuts. I figure that is as much as I can handle without doing more harm than good.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rime posted:

This is useful, thanks!

CopperHound posted:

Moving your weight higher in the pack can help you stand more upright.

Here is a lovely example of how you would have to balance if your pack's center of mass is at the red spot:

There is a limit to how much weight you would want high, especially on technical terrain. Small movements of the pack can push you off balance.

And this pretty accurately depicts my posture during the back half of a trip, so I'll give this a try.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Leokotape works really well as an alternative to athletic tape (better IMO)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the great contributions! I'll be adding those to the OP!

Question for you guys, I'm thinking about buying a rodent proof sack for storing my food. Normally I either hang a silnylon bag or bring my bear canister, and I haven't had a problem, but this weekend a pony ripped up someone's food bag in the Grayson Highlands so I'm thinking I'd like something a bit more durable but not quite bear canister heavy.

I'm torn (wamp womp) between the Ursack Minor and Ratsack... anyone here use either of those, or should I do something else entirely?

On the same topic, someone showed me the PCT Hang over the weekend and thought I'd post it here:

When you pull on the cord, it just raises the bag up!

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks for the great contributions! I'll be adding those to the OP!

Question for you guys, I'm thinking about buying a rodent proof sack for storing my food. Normally I either hang a silnylon bag or bring my bear canister, and I haven't had a problem, but this weekend a pony ripped up someone's food bag in the Grayson Highlands so I'm thinking I'd like something a bit more durable but not quite bear canister heavy.

I'm torn (wamp womp) between the Ursack Minor and Ratsack... anyone here use either of those, or should I do something else entirely?

On the same topic, someone showed me the PCT Hang over the weekend and thought I'd post it here:

When you pull on the cord, it just raises the bag up!

Holy gently caress, that Ursack costs 80 bucks for a bag? I mean, I get why people use bear cans, but was that dude's bag that the pony got into hung correctly or on the ground? I've always used a stuff sack/silnylon bag to hang my food and 80 bucks sounds a bit too much for a sack. Any reason why its so expensive?

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

bongwizzard posted:

I got turned on to that stuff years ago and it's pretty much replaced Band-Aids for me. And yeah, if you can't stand to use alcohol to loosen it first, you gonna get baby-butt smooth legs once you get that tape off.

I was actually shopping for first aid supplies the other day and came across what appears to be a consumer version of Quick clot. I was in a hurry and didn't really read the package, but it seem to be like single use tubes, but they were pretty large, like the size of those singleserving ice tea powders. Has anyone else seen this stuff?

You can get quicklot at REI and I highly recommend people put one into their med kits. Usually served to help gunshot wounds, this could be really life saving on a trail if someone gets seriously hurt.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Does anyone have any gear recommendations for hot, humid, tropical environments? South America, Africa, Southeast Asia, etc.

The information in the OP is super great, especially for Canada and New Zealand-type environments, but what kind of gear should I get if I want to avoid hyperthermia, not hypothermia.

In jungles, the air is like a sauna and sweat often doesn't evaporate. When there is no canopy, the direct sunlight can be loving scorching when you're close to the equator.

Also, trench foot and other fungal infections are more likely since it's so hot and moist all the time. Anyone have any first-hand experience trekking through this kind of terrain?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ASSTASTIC posted:

Holy gently caress, that Ursack costs 80 bucks for a bag? I mean, I get why people use bear cans, but was that dude's bag that the pony got into hung correctly or on the ground? I've always used a stuff sack/silnylon bag to hang my food and 80 bucks sounds a bit too much for a sack. Any reason why its so expensive?

It's tear resistant, basically bear proof if used properly, and lighter than bear cans. Not approved in all places though.

Not sure it's rodent proof though

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I always scoffed at alcohol stoves, but today I had some denatured alcohol, aluminum cans, and time:

I still need to try it out in breezy or rainy conditions, but I think I'm a convert.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Escape Addict posted:

Does anyone have any gear recommendations for hot, humid, tropical environments? South America, Africa, Southeast Asia, etc.

The information in the OP is super great, especially for Canada and New Zealand-type environments, but what kind of gear should I get if I want to avoid hyperthermia, not hypothermia.

In jungles, the air is like a sauna and sweat often doesn't evaporate. When there is no canopy, the direct sunlight can be loving scorching when you're close to the equator.

Also, trench foot and other fungal infections are more likely since it's so hot and moist all the time. Anyone have any first-hand experience trekking through this kind of terrain?

I don't have a ton of experience with tropical climate, but I do have experience with pretty humid environments. I would definitely suggest a bug net for your head/face. Also, I went on 2 hikes with my then girlfriend now wife during the summer in hawaii before noon. I didn't realize how much "friction" was happening in my inner thighs. I'm definitely not a fat guy, but I got those tree trunk thighs.

Now, I never go hiking without #1 boxer briefs #2 Body Glide. Body Glide goes on like a deodorant stick, but prevents blistering and rubbing. Works for feet as well.

In regards to feet, make sure you use liner socks.

Levitate posted:

It's tear resistant, basically bear proof if used properly, and lighter than bear cans. Not approved in all places though.

Not sure it's rodent proof though

Wow. I can see the appeal of a bag like that instead of a bear can just in weight saving & bulk factor, but 80 bucks seems extreme. I wonder if they have a patent or something on it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CopperHound posted:

I always scoffed at alcohol stoves, but today I had some denatured alcohol, aluminum cans, and time:

I still need to try it out in breezy or rainy conditions, but I think I'm a convert.

Did you have much trouble getting the alcohol to vaporize properly? I've messed with alcohol stoves only a little bit, and each time it seemed like I had to pour a lot of fuel around to get the metal heated up to the point where it was actually a stove and not just a wisp of blue flame. Big weight savings over a white gas stove but I wonder if the extra fuel eats into some of those savings, or if I was simply doing it wrong.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I built this style of stove: http://zenstoves.net/BasicSideBurner.htm
I don't need to pour priming alcohol around the side and just light the center. At least in my kitchen the jets fire up pretty fast. I didn't time but I think less than 30 seconds. I still need to RTV the two halves together, so if I put in enough fuel to get a liter of water to a rolling boil it does sputter out the sides some.

I'll still bring white gas for two person trips longer than a couple days because I estimate that we boil close to 20 cups of water a day with all the tea we drink.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've always used alcohol stoves for my personal trips and only used other types for school trips. I love my Trangia, although it seems have a difficult time producing enough heat when temperatures drop. I'd prefer a gas stove for winter conditions.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ASSTASTIC posted:

You can get quicklot at REI and I highly recommend people put one into their med kits. Usually served to help gunshot wounds, this could be really life saving on a trail if someone gets seriously hurt.

I got to try to make time to go back to the place I saw the stuff and pick some up. It didn't really look like it was for trauma medicine, but just another iteration on liquid Band-Aids.

CopperHound posted:

What finally killed my enthusiasm for small alcohol stove was in fact, breezy and rainy conditions. I tried dozens of different combinations of stoves,pot supports, and wind screens, nothing I worked was ever as efficient and dependable as a little pocket rocket stove. Other issue was that the ones that work the best tend to require a much wider pot than I would ever carry for the solo trips I usually go on.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ASSTASTIC posted:

Because it's a lightweight bear or rodent canister, so that's worth a pretty penny to people. Plus the fabric is pretty pricey and hard to work with.

The guy that got his food bag muched was an idiot and hung it low enough that the pony was able to reach it, 100% his fault. But, I have heard plenty of other horror stories of raccoons and mice so i figured a chew proof bag might be a good preventative measure even though I've been pretty lucky thus far. I don't need their bear sack, just the steel threaded cut resistant bag to stop the local critters. I think I might try that over the ratsak since it's a bit lighter...

CopperHound posted:

Nice! You've got me wanting to bust out my whitebox alcohol stove again, now that it's summer.

Only downside to alcohol is that it isn't very efficient in winter, but you can use canister stoves, like this 10$ chineesium Olicamp Ion knockoff stove instead if you want to save weight. That one in particular has been pretty skookum for me, and it's crazy light.

So I finally heard back from Lowa, and it looks like I'm going to officially be getting my boots resoled by them, and it's only gonna be 85$! :woop:

For reference, I had a catastrophic blowout on my trip to Grayson Highlands last weekend:

Fortunately I had a pair of chaco sandals with me for camp shoes, (mainly because I saw the foam mid layer starting to blow chunks off the side right before the trip), so I was able to finish the hike no problem. However, I'd really love to get some lighter sandals for camp shoes that I can use as backup hiking sandals if something like this happens again. Someone suggested Xero Sandals to me... anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? The chacos just aren't comfy for long distances, and they're pretty drat heavy.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

bongwizzard posted:

What finally killed my enthusiasm for small alcohol stove was in fact, breezy and rainy conditions. I tried dozens of different combinations of stoves,pot supports, and wind screens, nothing I worked was ever as efficient and dependable as a little pocket rocket stove. Other issue was that the ones that work the best tend to require a much wider pot than I would ever carry for the solo trips I usually go on.

I was very happy cooking in windy -10°C (don't laugh, Canadians) using Trangia stove + hacked Evernew stand + this:

https://toaksoutdoor.com/products/wsc

I cut some complementary slots on both ends with a Dremel wheel to make it go nearly snug on my favorite pot.

Previously, I was always field expedient about it: rocks, snow, sand, etc. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a good enough seal and reasonable cooking time.

Cold doesn't affect efficiency (the alcohol's boiling point constrains operating temperature), only starting difficulty (keep the lighter + filled stove in your pocket). Because the stove system is so light, it's very practical until there are a lot of people or a lot of nights.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

OSU_Matthew posted:

So I finally heard back from Lowa, and it looks like I'm going to officially be getting my boots resoled by them, and it's only gonna be 85$! :woop:

For reference, I had a catastrophic blowout on my trip to Grayson Highlands last weekend:

Fortunately I had a pair of chaco sandals with me for camp shoes, (mainly because I saw the foam mid layer starting to blow chunks off the side right before the trip), so I was able to finish the hike no problem. However, I'd really love to get some lighter sandals for camp shoes that I can use as backup hiking sandals if something like this happens again. Someone suggested Xero Sandals to me... anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? The chacos just aren't comfy for long distances, and they're pretty drat heavy.

Fuckln nice. Glad they are taking care of you. When I worked at REI, and if someone was going to get serious into hiking, once they found a boot that works awesome for them, I'd suggest they get 2 pairs. More often than not, when the season changes, so do the boot designs. Even when the boot style name hasn't changed, the design of it did in someway when the company updates it. Some people might hate the new design and you are SOL. The updates might not happen every season, but even after 1 years time, they might revamp and the boot you once knew is gone. Then you are slumming it through the REI garage sale used boot bins to find a matching pair.

I didn't take my own advice and I my main hiking boot is a The North Face boot that fits like a glove. I only have 1 pair.

Also gently caress the haters, chacos + socks are the perfect camp shoe combination.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ASSTASTIC posted:

Also gently caress the haters, chacos + socks are the perfect camp shoe combination.

Camp fashion is very important. Half of everything is looking good. Right foot: red croc, american flag sock. Left foot: blue croc, rainbow sock.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I just don't bring camp shoes

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Barefoot, the true way of the hiking master. How many grams are we wasting on boots and socks? Shameful

Lest you think I be joking https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_Lundin

Epitope fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 25, 2017

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
If anything, a pair of super light flip flops like the cheap ones from Hawaii called "locals" are great to have as camp shoes. I only like Chacos because as OSU_Matthew experienced, poo poo got real when his boots exploded on him mid hike.

Chacos are excellent for times like that. Also I can wear my wool socks with them. Only downside is they are heavy as gently caress.

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 25, 2017

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Thank you for the advice, ASSTASTIC.

What kind of underwear do you guys recommend? Is the exofficio boxer brief the best? Smart wool? What works well for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Escape Addict posted:

Thank you for the advice, ASSTASTIC.

What kind of underwear do you guys recommend? Is the exofficio boxer brief the best? Smart wool? What works well for you?

Exofficio boxer brief. Expensive but worth it. I would also look at underarmor boxer briefs. Make sure you maybe get one pair and try them out. The main advantage is they dry REALLY fast so if you want to you can go commando while you wash and dry your underpants. Hung up they probably dry in 30 to 1 hour if not shorter once rung out.

Again, I can't emphasize enough, body glide. I do not work for them, but I am an avid user. Before I quit REI i seriously bought like 5 bars before my discount was gone.

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 25, 2017