Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
I don't know the thought process. But, I'm gonna guess there might be some news coming out of Chicago Comic Con this weekend, as the show has a panel booked there with Van Wagnen and DeJoseph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I can't remember - what caused the split between LU and Konnan?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Ghidzilla posted:

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I can't remember - what caused the split between LU and Konnan?

A falling out between him and Dorian, stemming from LU talents having to pay a percentage of their LU bookings to AAA.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

There are various reports around the 'net that LU is looking to greatly increase how much they pay their key people, Pentagon/Fenix/etc. for season 4, and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter says that Season 4 likely starts taping in October. Van Wagenen/DeJoseph are doing a panel at C2E2, and a couple of other summer conventions, so LU's not quite dead yet.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

A falling out between him and Dorian, stemming from LU talents having to pay a percentage of their LU bookings to AAA.

That's rough, especially since I gather than they were paid pretty well through AAA.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Martinpale posted:

There are various reports around the 'net that LU is looking to greatly increase how much they pay their key people, Pentagon/Fenix/etc. for season 4, and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter says that Season 4 likely starts taping in October. Van Wagenen/DeJoseph are doing a panel at C2E2, and a couple of other summer conventions, so LU's not quite dead yet.

they are offering bigger deals to guys like pentagon and fenix because those contracts also stipulate they cannot work with konnan anymore which is a big thing to ask when both The Crash and AAA are partnered with TNA despite hating each other

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I was at the C2E2 panel and Dorian dodged the question when asked if there would be a season 4. He said he wants to coordinate with the network president and make sure that they announce things properly and with everyone's best interest in mind and blah blah. It was a lot of words to say, "No comment." He also bullshitted about the possibility of a video game which doesn't seem likely for a show that can barely get viewers.

We did get to see some exclusive footage of a new character named Son of Madness who is trying to bring Havoc back to the biker fold. Oh and we got to see Vampiro's ridiculous new haircut.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I was at the C2E2 panel and Dorian dodged the question when asked if there would be a season 4. He said he wants to coordinate with the network president and make sure that they announce things properly and with everyone's best interest in mind and blah blah. It was a lot of words to say, "No comment." He also bullshitted about the possibility of a video game which doesn't seem likely for a show that can barely get viewers.

We did get to see some exclusive footage of a new character named Son of Madness who is trying to bring Havoc back to the biker fold. Oh and we got to see Vampiro's ridiculous new haircut.

Unlike normal wrestling shows, a Lucha Underground video game may bring in new viewers if it's good enough and/or not a wrestling game. The first part of that is probably the more important part.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thelazyblank posted:

Unlike normal wrestling shows, a Lucha Underground video game may bring in new viewers if it's good enough and/or not a wrestling game. The first part of that is probably the more important part.

If they try to make a straight sim like WWE they're doomed to fail. They need to make something weird with their characters, like a Yakuza-style RPG where you start out backyard wrestling and work your way up to THE TEMPLE, gradually building up a roster of moves and abilities to be able to defeat the God-King of All Wrestling, Mil Muertes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
TBH I'd feel like they need to pull some dirt on WB and force Ed Boon develop a digital-only fighting game that's Mortal Kombat with a gimmick or two on top.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
An LU video game sounds awesome, but, like the sci-fi movie rumors bandied about a year ago, feels like just an idea they're pulling out of their rear end while trying to think of new revenue streams.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
They should base it on def jam battle for new york

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/857413977160142848

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/857418638734663681

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought Lucha Underground wasn't a promotion.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I have a hard time believing any of the Believers would tune out because a woman won the title. We were all stoked to see Ivelisse maybe win the belt at the beginning of season 2. That was S2, right? It's been a while.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Her winning the title was fine since they transitioned it right onto Mundo. The turnaround was so fast that people wouldn't have left just for that. The fact is that S3 fell off a cliff creatively, I think the turning point for me was the WMD match. After that match it just felt like all their angles were really flat and none of the new characters were interesting at all. The wacky Paul London faction is terrible imo, and the Dragon clan garbage that broke up the Superhero team is dumb also. They started slipping before that, as S2 should have ended with Pentagon getting the belt.

I think Dave just has a bias against the intergender stuff, which I can understand, but he tends to hang his hat on that as the reason why LU doesn't do well and while I can buy it with advertisers; fans, not so much.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 27, 2017

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I thought the "Paul London and friends do drugs" group was fun.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
LU has always had a weird pattern where the early halfs of seasons are just treading water until Aztec Warfare, then they shuffle into new storylines and start the build to Ultima Lucha. Season 3's problems just got amplified by the sudden hiatus, so now people are looking back and going "huh, nothing really happened."

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Animal-Mother posted:

I have a hard time believing any of the Believers would tune out because a woman won the title. We were all stoked to see Ivelisse maybe win the belt at the beginning of season 2. That was S2, right? It's been a while.

They might have tuned out because the worst wrestler on the roster won the title.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Lone Goat posted:

They might have tuned out because the worst wrestler on the roster won the title.

Kobra Moon hasn't won a thing!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Johnny Mundo isn't that terrible.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

A good chunk of the more amazing matches in the show include John Morrison. Nothing magical like Fenix vs Mil or any of the Trios where Angelico tries to die, but the more sustainable ones like any match he has with Ricochet or the only good matches Sexy Star has had besides the No Mas one, or vs El Patron back in Ultima Lucha 1.

The magic bunnies and dragons are cool.

Penta's getting a decent push, imo. He got a freaking All Night Long Vs 3 Invited Stardom Stars. He's the Dark Counterpart to Prince Puma, the protagonist. Just because Vegeta didn't go SSJ2 first doesn't mean he isn't the best character in the show.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

A good chunk of the more amazing matches in the show include John Morrison. Nothing magical like Fenix vs Mil or any of the Trios where Angelico tries to die, but the more sustainable ones like any match he has with Ricochet or the only good matches Sexy Star has had besides the No Mas one, or vs El Patron back in Ultima Lucha 1.

I still think Puma vs Mundo Ironman match is the best Ironman match not involving Angle.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
Pretty sure Kimber Lee won the Chikara grand championship before Sexy Star.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Paul London isn't a gimmick

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Paul London isn't a gimmick

the gimmick is the jumpsuit (the cod piece is no gimmick)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Apropos nothing, I have a sick giggle whenever I see this bit

of Rey right after he "throws" Matanza over the supplies room and he crashes through. You can see the horror in his eyes as he thinks he could've accidentally been involved in a second wrestler death in 2 years.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have been wanting to watch LU for a while, and have been making my way through it now that it's on Netflix. I get that Striker is too drat eager and too much of a mark, but why does Vampiro never let any talk about strategy go beyond the most shallow way of analyzing wrestling imaginable? "Pinfalls early in a match are about forcing your opponent to expend valuable energy, not necessarily about trying to win, right Vamp?" "What are you talking about, you think too much, just win the match!"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Imagine being within the proximity of being able to punch Matt Striker in the face, but being unable to because of professionalism. You'd be frustrated too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I heard all of those complaints, but I only started watching from S2 forward and didn't notice them nearly as much there.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave confirmed on Twitter if LU doesn't get funding for season 4, all contracts are voided (everyone becomes free agents)

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Johnny Mundo confirmed in a recent interview that season 3 resumes on the 31st of May. Can't wait!

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Season 3 continues in a week. By order of Dario Cueto, here's a trailer for the second half of the season:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/lucha-underground-season-3.html

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
First episode back is the Mundo/Mack All Night Long match, which is gonna rule.

I wonder how they'll explain Dario re-opening the Temple after kicking everyone out last time.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
I'm just prayin' for more big things for my man Mil Muertes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Can't wait for the All Night Long match, but what I really want is for my boy Pentagon El Penta 0M DARK to get more poo poo pushed against him.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The mediocre first half of the season combined with the long break really dampened my excitement for LU. I'll still watch but I'm not sure it will be the same.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I want even more ridiculous magic poo poo like Cage's god gauntlet. They passed up the obvious choice of making him an actual Terminator, so now they have to make PJ Black a literal wolfman.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Season 3 is back, TONIGHT!

8 pm on El Rey!

After taking a bit of a surprising hiatus (since January), everyone's favorite lucha libre monster mash, Lucha Underground, is firing back up. Let remember where we left off at:

- Your current Lucha Underground title holder is the Mayor of Slamtown himself, Johnny Mundo.

How did we get here?: Since the beginning of Season 3, the Monster Matanza Cueto has held the top title, with his brother Dario taunting the rest of the roster with his Wheel of Misfortune. Mantanza ran roughshod over the roster until Aztec Warfare 3, where he was eliminated by Rey Mysterio. In the end, Sexy Star won Aztec Warfare 3 (and in the process, winning the LU Title). But, she only held the belt for a week, facing Johnny the following week for the tile after he turned in his Gift of the Gods shot (which he also won from Sexy).

Johnny has had a few rematches with Sexy, before turning his attention to Sexy's best friend, The Mack. Tonight's mid-season premiere will have The Mack and Johnny squaring off in an ALL NIGHT LONG match for the title. Johnny's track record with All Night Long matches has been stellar, and the Mack is a big fan favorite, so I think this is gonna be a great match.

- Your current Trios Title holders are Drago, Aerostar and Fenix.

How did we get here? These three beat the Worldwide Underground back at Ultima Lucha Dos to win the Trios titles. But, Drago has gained the interest of Kobra Moon and her Snake Tribe, who feel the dragon-man should be one of them. She kidnapped Drago and made him wrestle with Pindar and Vibora in the Snake Tribe, but Aerostar and Fenix arrived to tell the Snakes to hit the bricks.

- Your current Gift of the Gods champion is no one. The ancient Aztec dragonballs have not been put back into play, so there's no GotG champ right now.

What else has happened so far this season?
- Matanza and Azteca, Jr. had a death match right before the mid-season break. Didn't go so well for either man, as Azteca got slammed through the grandstands in the Temple and Matanza was tossed over a barricade (by Rey) and crashed through the ceiling behind the announce desk. Dario kicked everyone out of the Temple because of this.
- Cage defeated Texano in a Best of 5 series, which Dario said was for the "Ultimate Opportunity." By winning, Cage got a kickass metal gauntlet that appears to have spooky powers.
- Pentagon Dark had a bit of a run-in with the Black Lotus Triad (after he broke Black Lotus' arm at Ultima Lucha Dos), as he faced down a gauntlet match of his own, in the form of Doku, Yurei and Hitokiri. Eventually, Hitokiri got the best of him (after she jumped off the goddamn roof) and Pentagon got a taste of his own medicine as Black Lotus (and Azteca Jr) broke both of his arms.
- Rey Mysterio beat Chavo Guerrero in a Loser Leaves Lucha match. Notable for being 1) a great match, but 2) the last televised appearance of Chavo Guerrero, Sr., who crack Chavo, Jr. with a chair to try and DQ Rey.
- Prince Puma died. But, Vampiro pulled some strings, and he's now alive again.

There's a ton more, but I think those are the big plot points to remember when this dumb show starts back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

I want even more ridiculous magic poo poo like Cage's god gauntlet. They passed up the obvious choice of making him an actual Terminator, so now they have to make PJ Black a literal wolfman.

He only just got the gauntlet, there's still time for him to be slowly possessed by the gauntlet and become more and more metal.

• Locked thread