Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The creepy choir behind Damon's vocals is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am hearing it leaked according to twitter

Hedrigall posted:

Apparently there's a full vinyl rip out there

The guy ripped the vinyl without using a preamp, so it's the special edition with featured guest artists Annoying Buzz and No Bass.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm waiting for next Friday :shrug:

Literally crying tears of joy that even though I've listened a lot to the 6 released songs so far, there's 13 as-yet-unheard ones waiting for me next week :3:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Yue posted:

The guy ripped the vinyl without using a preamp, so it's the special edition with featured guest artists Annoying Buzz and No Bass.

There's a lot of Annoying Buzz around this album even before you listen to it

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!

A human heart posted:

There's a lot of Annoying Buzz around this album even before you listen to it

Savage.

Also I'm not sure if it's good or not that "Obama" and "Trump" are censored even in the actual release. Like, it's a weird half-measure, we all know that's who you're talking about.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
2D and Murdoc have a live stream conversation in 30 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OPFbjEVXic

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junior Jr. posted:

2D and Murdoc have a live stream conversation in 30 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OPFbjEVXic

I don't understand how people get excited about cartoon characters.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

I think it will be insanely cool to hear my 2 best friends 2d and murdoc talk about music.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BigFactory posted:

Same. I'd much rather see an interview with Damon Albarn than listen to one with the random voice actors they get to do the characters, half-improvising off talking points but really having no insight into the band or music

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Hedrigall posted:

Same. I'd much rather see an interview with Damon Albarn than listen to one with the random voice actors they get to do the characters, half-improvising off talking points but really having no insight into the band or music

I think the fact that we pretend those cartoon characters are actually part of the band and have a weird ongoing story makes it fun for the fans.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Junior Jr. posted:

I think the fact that we pretend those cartoon characters are actually part of the band and have a weird ongoing story makes it fun for the fans.

The characters are a pretty good hook for the music videos, but people who get really into the backstories and lore and so on are like the Zelda timeline theorists of the alternative music world

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junior Jr. posted:

That's depressing.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Well that was rather short. The 'conversation' felt mostly awkward and the improv was below average at best. The 2D and Murdoc cel-shaded models looked alright, but the face and body rigging was a bit freaky.

To be fair, they kind of explained a bit about the stuff that happened after the Plastic Beach phase...but yeah that's about it.

Anyways, can't wait for the listening party, and gearing up for the Demon Dayz Festival! :toot:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't give a flying gently caress about the dumb characters other than the music videos are fun to watch.

What I do give a flying gently caress about is I just scored tickets to see them in Chicago :hellyeah:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Got my tickets!!!

I'm happy they're physical tickets. Going to be one of those tickets I keep forever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its not that hard to see the appeal to the characters and the lore. Especially with nerds getting pandered to with all the recent revivals on tv and poo poo. Personally I think the band evolved to be bigger than the cartoon on Plastic Beach, but its still kinda cool that they kept going with it. Its corny and poo poo sure, but whatever like who the gently caress cares, let people enjoy it.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I kind of pay attention to the characters/lore because... well, isn't it kind of Gorillaz' "thing"? If Damon Albarn just wanted to have a side project making great music with a bunch of collaborators and no fake band, he could've just done that. Instead, fake band. Why not?

Although I do care about them roughly as much as I do the members of any other band, which is (Watching video/reading album notes) "Huh, _______ left? When did that happen?" (Reads Wikipedia) "Oh, I see."

For Gorillaz, just replace 'left' with 'got turned into a robot or something I guess'.

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 20, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Forgot about the pre-sale, everything looked pretty bad that was left. So I'll try my luck tomorrow w/ the general sale. Nervous but hopeful I'll score a decent ticket

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Well wasn't the point of Gorillaz was they were meant to be a virtual band in the first place? Damon made the music while Jamie made the visuals and characters coming to life. When the Gorillaz website started out, it was like a gateway for fans to interact with the band, that's what made it fun and unique compared to other bands at the time.

They've been doing this up until Plastic Beach and I guess kind of gave up because the budget was getting too expensive and the hiatus was an issue.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its not that hard to see the appeal to the characters and the lore.

Sure it is.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
the interview was funny y'all have no hearts

also got GA PIT tickets for Chicago gently caress yeah

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

hughesta posted:

the interview was funny y'all have no hearts

also got GA PIT tickets for Chicago gently caress yeah

Same here. I actually got a pair in 201 but kept refreshing hoping to move over to 204 and got the pit instead by happy chance.

Between this and Riot Fest this week has put a hurting on my wallet.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 20, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Speaking of Chicago, were the tickets for the OTHER Demon Dayz festival on sale yet?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's impossible to think of Gorillaz without thinking of the characters. If Albarn wanted you to not care about them, he'd just make another solo album and leave Hewlett in the dust.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Gorillaz characters are interesting to the same extent as Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. A fun concept to hang the music on -- and a fun way to string together a glorified collection of music videos and call it a movie -- but I'm not gonna read a book about them or anything.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If he really wanted us to care that much there wouldn't be giant plot holes in the "lore." It's a fun aesthetic but come on it's pretty bad. Case in point from the Gorillaz wiki:

quote:

During the filming of the video, Noodle parachuted off the floating island from the "Feel Good Inc." video after it was gunned down by two armoured helicopters. When filming was complete, Noodle had disappeared; causing panic across the set and everyone on it, except for Murdoc. Her used parachute was found amongst the wreckage of the crash site. This caused many to believe for a while that Noodle had been killed off. These rumors of Noodle's supposed death were finally laid to rest, as Murdoc assured everyone that she survived, and they had staged the crash to get rid of Jimmy Manson, who had hid away in the windmill, thinking he was part of a plot to get rid of Noodle and take her place with the parachute. Murdoc claimed, in the Gorillaz book Rise of the Ogre, that Noodle was "off in the Maldives, just chilling out". However, in the epilogue of the book, a transcript of a radio broadcast from Noodle is printed out.

Another similar radio broadcast could be heard in the basement of Kong Studios on the official Gorillaz website.

Murdoc later "confessed" that Noodle was stuck in hell, but he had allegedly saved her. He was drunk at the time, so it is unknown if what he said was true or not.

I haven't/won't bother track down all the little bits of lore but I'm pretty sure there's literally nothing that actually clarifies any of that between then and the start of the On Melancholy Hill video. That's a bad story yo, it's like the short stories of a 12 year old.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

all-Rush mixtape posted:

It's impossible to think of Gorillaz without thinking of the characters. If Albarn wanted you to not care about them, he'd just make another solo album and leave Hewlett in the dust.

It's possible.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nail Rat posted:

If he really wanted us to care that much there wouldn't be giant plot holes in the "lore." It's a fun aesthetic but come on it's pretty bad. Case in point from the Gorillaz wiki:

I haven't/won't bother track down all the little bits of lore but I'm pretty sure there's literally nothing that actually clarifies any of that between then and the start of the On Melancholy Hill video. That's a bad story yo, it's like the short stories of a 12 year old.
I believe they were going to address it later in Phase 3 (ie right after Rhinestone Eyes when she rejoined the band), but the studio pulled the plug. Plastic Beach was apparently meant to be the first in a trilogy of albums.

Everything pretty much hung together before that point.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Wasn't the original intention of the cartoons to mask who was acting involved in each song and to mock pop culture idolisation?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is there really a secret cartoon story that people geek out over? That makes me like the band so much less.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To be fair, you can completely ignore it and be no worse off for appreciating their music and videos.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
MORE REMIXES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW3J9XnBbqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gc2A3LQ6tM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiRe4fcSZzw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP7uuS63CD8

Edit: I just want to add that Purple Disco Machine remix sounds drat GOOD!

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 21, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://ticketcrusader.com/gorillaz-presale-passwords/

I hope these work

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well I got lawn seats for the merriweather show.

Not gonna be great but this is probably my only chance to see them live period.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Crain posted:

Well I got lawn seats for the merriweather show.

Not gonna be great but this is probably my only chance to see them live period.

I doubt this is the last tour, but Damon might be 60 next time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, just managed to buy a seat that looks like it'll be kind of decent for actually seeing the show.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nail Rat posted:

I doubt this is the last tour, but Damon might be 60 next time.

Not in the sense of "last tour ever", this is just the best situation I've been in to make it to a show. Not commonly close to where I live and I don't have enough money for flying overseas for a concert.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I bought tickets for similar reasons: for all I know, this may be the only time in my life I'll ever get to see him live and in-person.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

So apparently you can stream the album RIGHT NOW! In the app but when you open it it brings up a divining rod and points you to the nearest "spirit house" in a real life location by you. Mine is in a park downtown, maybe I'll go before work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Is there really a secret cartoon story that people geek out over? That makes me like the band so much less.

if this is really so triggering for you then lol