Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The NFL is collapsing in upon itself in a wave of gently caress The NFL.

We did it guys.

MLS: We Have Concussions Too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

MLS: We Have Concussions Too

Speaking of, thanks for killing Birnbaum with a Curse of the Black Spot. Concussions in DC are the equivalent of Michael Corleone's kiss of death.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Speaking of, thanks for killing Birnbaum with a Curse of the Black Spot. Concussions in DC are the equivalent of Michael Corleone's kiss of death.

We all knew he was concussion dead when it happened, don't be so dramatic.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The NFL is collapsing in upon itself in a wave of gently caress The NFL.

We did it guys.

is it?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Isn't it?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
idk, I don't pay enough attention to the NFL to know

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yes but I'm sure they will fix the main complaint of too many commercials

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Syrinxx posted:

Yes but I'm sure they will fix the main complaint of too many commercials

Are there any other sports that have stoppage just so a commercial can be aired on television?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
NHL and NBA, for starters.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Bowling: Varies

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fortunately hockey has natural stoppages and they don't go to commercial nearly as often as NFL

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

I mean they had nowhere to go but down. And it's happening faster than I anticipated, which suits me.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And the dipshit loser team that's the first to get blanked by Minnesota is officially Colorado. Congratulations guys, I knew you could do it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
MLS TV ratings are abysmal

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm not in the Philly area to watch games and they're horrendous enough that it's clearly not worth paying for MLS live, but what the hell is going on with the Union right now? They haven't won a game since August and Curtin is still in place, so is the ownership just trying to get the team relocated at this point? I'm seeing anecdotes that attendance is abysmal right now, even on nice days.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

MLS TV ratings are abysmal

It's probably because there aren't enough commercials. Can't sell a sports product when large corporations, or local small businesses, aren't also trying to sell you something at the same time. The Super Bowl is watched by millions and it has big commercials. Coincidence? Probably. Correlation is not causation and what not.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

I must have missed where the Chargers are playing this season in a stadium smaller than almost every major Division 1 college football team.
Alex Spanos is a loving idiot who is so desperate to be in the LOS ANGELES MEDIA MARKETPLACE!!!!!!!! that he literally decided that playing NFL games in an MLS stadium for one or even two years with no other venue ready or available, rather than stay in San Diego, would be okay.

Because you know the NFL is such a traditionally big draw in L.A.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

LA: WE WANT THE RAIDERS
NFL: gently caress you, you get the Rams and Chargers

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

LA: WE WANT THE RAIDERS
NFL: gently caress you, you get the Rams and Chargers
And based on the last big fan survey done the Chargers literally have less market penetration in L.A. than bandwagon teams like the Cowboys and Patriots, or even other big-market teams like the Giants.

I can't wait for the Chargers to be inexplicably good and you have the AFC Championship Game at the home of the Los Angeles loving Galaxy. And it doesn't sell out.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Salary info for Minnesota came out today. Don't know about the rest of the league.

The punchline: Vadim Demidov is making $550,000

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Full list

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/TotalMLS/status/856967530111520768

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Jozy Altidore: $4.9 million

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Piatti's contract is the best deal in the league.

Also Giovinco might be underpaid imo

Again holy lol that Minnesota has a center back who's way better than another defender making nine times as much money as him.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
It's really something that Giovinco makes that much money, I think that's probably more than anyone at Juve makes.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004
It's amazing that, with Kaka not playing due to injury, Orlando's success so far this season is has primarily been built upon a team that is basically mid-pack in terms of overall salary.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
To be fair, Larin is only that cheap because he's on his rookie contract. If you manage to keep him, well, at least his number is going to get go way up.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

It's really something that Giovinco makes that much money, I think that's probably more than anyone at Juve makes.

I think Higuain makes a bit more than that, maybe Dybala too on his new contract. But it's pretty close.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Look at Portland outspending Seattle

#builtnotbought

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

He was at one point the highest paid Italian in the world.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Gigi Galli posted:

The money just seems bigger next to him

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

The money just seems bigger next to him

:bisonyes:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Looks like David Beckham finally found his sucker big money partner:

ESPN posted:

David Beckham's goal of bringing an MLS expansion franchise to Miami is inching closer to the finish line, with banker Todd Boehly being added to his investment group, sources confirmed to ESPN FC.

(...)

Boehly is the chairman and CEO of Eldridge Industries. Boehly previously served as the head of Guggenheim Investments at Guggenheim Specialized Products, LLC, where he was responsible for the firm's asset management business. Prior to that, he also served as the President at Guggenheim Partners, where he was responsible for launching the firm's credit investing business. He remains part of the ownership group that purchased the Los Angeles Dodgers back in 2012.

Boehly joins Beckham, Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure, CEO of Oak View Group Tim Leiweke and Beckham's business partner Simon Fuller on MBU's investment team.

Assuming this isn't further bullshit they might actually pull this off and I'll finally be able to see what bizarre Brand Beckham bullshit he'll bring to his own team, years past due.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Inter Miami United FC

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Looks like David Beckham finally found his sucker big money partner:

Assuming this isn't further bullshit they might actually pull this off and I'll finally be able to see what bizarre Brand Beckham bullshit he'll bring to his own team, years past due.

Let me play Devil's advocate.

This will be at least the fourth potential investor that MBU has been in talks with, since choosing the Overtown location, that we know of; the other three all said 'no'.

We know that MBU has been in talks with multiple potential investors for at least a year, some of whom we don't even know the identity of.

MLS owners held a meeting this week, one item on the agenda was the Miami situation.

The timing of this is not coincidental. MLS told MBU this week: you are running out of time; show us what you got.

So, they did. And now we know who MBU is currently talking to: Todd Boehly.

Are the talks with Todd Boehly any further along than any of the previous potential investors that MBU talked to? Are the issues which caused the previous potential investors to say 'no' being dealt with, or is this simply going to be a repeat of the past three or more potential investor talks: a public announcement, followed by months of silence, with a quiet admission later, buried somewhere at the bottom of a news article, that said potential investor was no longer in talks with MBU? Because that has been the consistent pattern so far.

If a series of public announcements and public agreements are made in the coming weeks and months, then maybe something is finally happening. But if this current announcement is followed up with more silence, then who knows.

So far I don't necessarily think this is really news. Beckham has a new potential MBU investor he is talking to; but he is always talking to new potential MBU investors, so is this really news? Is this time really different? If it weren't for the MLS meeting this week we probably wouldn't even know about Todd Boehly, at all. This week's MLS meeting forced this bit of 'news' out into the open.

We shall see.

Edit to add: I realize that the story we are getting at the moment, is that Todd Boehly has been added to the MBU investment group, but neither MBU nor Todd Boehly has confirmed that yet. If this is the real deal we should get some kind of official confirmation today. If it's just more "we are working on it" then I expect we'll not get anything definite today.

Also edit to add: Forget Miami; how about a bit of humor. Saw a link to this on reddit on one of the Portland Timbers threads; it is the (unintentionally) funniest thing I've read in ages:

quote:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/apr/24/letter-bring-baseball-back-to-portland/

Letter: Bring baseball back to Portland

By John Casper, VANCOUVER

Published: April 24, 2017, 6:00 AM

Well here it is — another spring in the Vancouver-Portland area and, in years past, the Portland Beavers would have been starting a new season. But not anymore. For seven long, boring summers baseball has not been in Portland. Instead, we are forced to suffer though a foreign so-called sport where most of the time nobody wins. It saddens me to think I will never be able to take my kids or grandkids to another Beaver baseball game. I also feel sorry for the kids who will never get to see a AAA baseball team in Portland.

My hope is that someday the Timbers will go to Europe, were they belong, and our Portland Beavers will return to Portland, where they belong. I live and hope for that day.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 27, 2017

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

John Casper can just sit his rear end in his car and drive an extra 15 minutes; there's still minor league baseball! just... in the suburbs.

every year the MLS Players' Union releases player salaries and every year I'm 100% flummoxed by how teams pay their squads. why the hell is perennial benchwarmer Ben Zemanski only earning 5k less than Gleeson, the starting keeper?! does Zemanski just have a rad agent?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Genuinely surprised that FCD continues to find success despite lowballing the way they do.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That guy was on Twitter the first couple of Timbers MLS seasons as @timberssuck. He deleted his account, but I'm happy to see he's still out there yelling at clouds.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
D.C. still at the bottom of the league in payroll, which still shows you what's up with this league. It's not blowing out the bank for Euros, though it doesn't hurt. It's all about team construction and good management. And we've had the most consistently brain dead manager in North America for eight god damned years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PGE Park was fun to see baseball games at though, he does have that part right.

• Locked thread