Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I will get around to watching that show one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The main villain of Buddy Complex will never not be hilarious to me with how pathetic he is.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The main villain of Buddy Complex will never not be hilarious to me with how pathetic he is.

Not even the crazy time travel reveal they did with him could make it an interesting series

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Droyer posted:

I'm in a robot kinda mood, are either Buddy Complex or Break Blade worth watching (and for BB movies or tv show)? The one thing I know about Buddy Complex is it was literally written by committee which doesn't exactly inspire confidence, and a friend of mine wasn't very impressed with Break Blade, but should I give either a shot?

I enjoyed Buddy Complex while I was watching it but the best thing I can say about it is that it was competant, some of the BGM was decent and the main villain was hilarious. It's probably the most generic real robot series in a long while.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

ActionZero posted:

I enjoyed Buddy Complex while I was watching it but the best thing I can say about it is that it was competant, some of the BGM was decent and the main villain was hilarious. It's probably the most generic real robot series in a long while.

Even more than Argevollen?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

Even more than Argevollen?

Argevollen has a few uncommon elements to it. Buddy Complex just wants to recapture Gundam Seed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Argevollen has a few uncommon elements to it. Buddy Complex just wants to recapture Gundam Seed.

Yeah, Argevollen isn't all that exciting, but there aren't many grunts'-eye-view slice-of-life mecha shows out there. Buddy Complex is just a lame Gundam knock-off, give or take a couple of weird bits around the edges.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ever the grounded and serious series, the MJP movie provides a realistic result to bringing the old secret prototype 0 unit out of storage
http://i.imgur.com/ut7roKo.mp4
http://i.imgur.com/fVLQYqY.mp4

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think my favourite part of that gif is that enemy mech standing there, hand on hips, going 'really?'

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
MJP is magical and I'm determined to go through the whole thing again and then the movie as soon as I'm done with Voltron.

One thing I always thought was curious is how the subs subbed the alien language, even though it had no subs in Japanese and so normal viewers watching the broadcast would not understand it. It seems like it would change the experience a bit.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Thank you for reminding me I have to watch this movie.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Caphi posted:

MJP is magical and I'm determined to go through the whole thing again and then the movie as soon as I'm done with Voltron.

One thing I always thought was curious is how the subs subbed the alien language, even though it had no subs in Japanese and so normal viewers watching the broadcast would not understand it. It seems like it would change the experience a bit.

They put Japanese subs on the side when Wulgaru is being spoken*, and fansubs just translate the Japanese and put the English subs on the bottom.

*This is actually used to make a joke in the MJP movie.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pureauthor posted:

They put Japanese subs on the side when Wulgaru is being spoken*, and fansubs just translate the Japanese and put the English subs on the bottom.

*This is actually used to make a joke in the MJP movie.

I think they started subbing it eventually but not for the first several episodes. I definitely remember watching raws and then getting real confused when I talked about... episode 2, I think? with others.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I ended up watching the entire second half of kuromukuro in one day oops. It was good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been making my way through Raideen.

It has its moments.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Droyer posted:

I ended up watching the entire second half of kuromukuro in one day oops. It was good.

It is! I want more of it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spent the last few days reading Linebarrels of Iron. I like it quite a lot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, ID-0 is already vastly more interesting than Active Raid. Taniguchi's making a relatively smooth directorial transition to full 3D, too - there's some janky shots, but it could honestly be a whole lot worse.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

3doodoo

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, ID-0 is already vastly more interesting than Active Raid. Taniguchi's making a relatively smooth directorial transition to full 3D, too - there's some janky shots, but it could honestly be a whole lot worse.

I'd heard it described as cute girls doing cute things but mecha and wasn't hugely enthused, is this accurate?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Artum posted:

I'd heard it described as cute girls doing cute things but mecha and wasn't hugely enthused, is this accurate?

Not remotely. It's a show about transhumanism, high-risk space mining, and corporate skulduggery (and first contact). Been pretty fun so far.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It is those things, though I don't know about the spoilered part (unless you mean the end of the second episode, in which case that character doesn't seem like an alien), but there is definitely a concerted effort on the part of the animation team to portray the main character, Maya, as a cute girl and the captain's daughter is portrayed in a similar, if less emphatic light. With the introduction of another character at the end of episode two that element is sure to increase too. I'd also say that while the mining element informs a large part of the show, the actual mining is pretty superficial and really just comes down to a character literally grabbing minerals and teleporting out with the whole vein. Which I guess is the production team's effort to make the whole thing more cinematic and flashy, which is fair enough. The show does still spend a lot of time building up to the actual mining, with characters surveying the geology (or astrogeology), transporting equipment and so on.

Mostly I just find the show kind of boring at the moment. There's some cool stuff there, and I'm enjoying the transhuman elements, but a lot of the corporate skullduggery seems to exist solely to force Maya in to her situation so far and the cutesy main character blushing and stammering around is less endearing (as I assume it's supposed to be) and more just grating. Perhaps the show will move past or rise above those elements in future, but I'm already at a point where I know I'll only be giving it a handful more episodes at most to find out.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Not remotely. It's a show about transhumanism, high-risk space mining, and corporate skulduggery (and first contact). Been pretty fun so far.

Oh good.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Considering that the official taglines for ID-0 are "All memories exist with I-machines" and "Is it hope or despair hiding in the lost memories?", the show does have certain aspirations in terms of themes.

I would argue the second episode has already started moving towards that ultimate goal with the masked villain (?) and his apparent past as well as Ido's condition of being an evertrancer, even though it is admittedly using a more gradual storytelling approach than other series that are airing now. It's not in a hurry to reveal all of the cards. That said, the script seems efficient enough to pull it off and I've enjoyed even the standard action/adventure parts so far. The robots also have some nice body language and look cool enough in motion.

Like I have said elsewhere...if someone is going to get character development in this show, it's going to be Maya and Ido. Episode 2 makes this a fairly safe bet.

Regarding the presence of cute girls, I think the series is closer to Bodacious Space Pirates in their treatment. It hasn't been overly focused on cuteness for its own sake. I don't particularly like the design of the mysterious cat girl, but I presume Kuroda might treat her like Neeya from Infinite Ryvius, whose presence also seemed random at first.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 19, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Crosspost from the Gundam thread in case anyone cares:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gundam Info started uploading Zeta in 720p earlier this month: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJV1h9xQ7Hx8BmOF6F1QBoQ--CVxo4WGF

They seem to be doing 5 episodes a week.

This works in the UK and the US at least. Not sure about elsewhere.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Crosspost from the Gundam thread in case anyone cares:

This works in the UK and the US at least. Not sure about elsewhere.

They don't have th eoriginal OP :whitewater:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQrDASSYKmw

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

give me 80s jpop or give me death

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I know, it's the worst. I want my Toki wo Koete. :(

At least the Zeta dub OP vaguely works for the show, but

Droyer posted:

give me 80s jpop or give me death

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still my favourite Gundam op apart from the first 0083 one.

And the first X op.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Kuromukuro was really good guys. Thanks for the recommendation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I watched Big O, it was not exactly what I expected. I was holding off on watching it because I kept hearing it be describe as Batman with a Mecha and that made me lose interest in it if anything. I knew it was suppose to be noirish going in, but there was a ton a ton of silent film influences as well. If anything I would describe it as Giant Robo in a German Expressionist film.

It was really good though, and I love how the ending manages to give every character a big moment, even Beck.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, Paradigm City might as well be the ruins of Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

The way it uses the stuff that influenced noir on top of noir itself was super good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I watched Big O, it was not exactly what I expected. I was holding off on watching it because I kept hearing it be describe as Batman with a Mecha and that made me lose interest in it if anything. I knew it was suppose to be noirish going in, but there was a ton a ton of silent film influences as well. If anything I would describe it as Giant Robo in a German Expressionist film.

I wanna ask what your reference to Batman is, because when people say "Batman with Mecha," they're usually referring to the Animated series with Bruce Timm back in the 90's.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tae posted:

I wanna ask what your reference to Batman is, because when people say "Batman with Mecha," they're usually referring to the Animated series with Bruce Timm back in the 90's.

Yeah I got that once I started to watch the series, but whenever I heard that before I figure they just meant character wise which left me cold.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Tae posted:

Big O is TAS batman except hes a giant robot pilot instead of batman.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh, The Big O is also a really good robot. Most of the mecha in mecha anime don't really do anything for me, but the Big O itself just invokes something classical for me.

Also I love the dumb circle arm control thing, its probably my favorite robot, well it or the Turn A.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The Ka-SHING it makes as he takes a swing is enormously satisfying.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I always imagined that if there was some sorta SRW fighting game (that isn't Super Robot Spirits), Big O would be this obnoxiously slow sack of poo poo that would nevertheless take hits like a champ (best HP in the game, other than bosses maybe) and have a Sudden Impact command grab that would blow a third of your health off if he gets you with it once.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
He'd play something like Q With very straightforward and meaty attacks with a poo poo ton of armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Obviously he'd need to have some Riesbyfe or Zenia in him what with the pile bunker arms.