Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"We need someone to infiltrate this highly-suspicious and intelligent group of ruthless female thieves!"

"Let's pick the woman whose face has been plastered all over the television and just gained international news AGAIN by being publicly pardoned by the President instead of the highly-effective and ruthless Mossad operative who would probably LOVE to do dangerous poo poo to get back in our good graces!"
You don't think her disguise of clear-framed glasses and a single pass with a curling iron was convincing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That actually wasn't a horrible episode. Plenty of Spader being Spader (and *vulnerable* and *pensive* Spader :swoon:).

Best thing? Very little of Liz.

Also, Aram just cannot close the deal. Forever alone.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I liked the bit about gender equality in the workplace.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Best thing? Very little of Liz.

Yeah, the way she was handled this episode really reminded me of what shows do when their lead actress is pregnant and it's not part of the story. She was always standing behind something, or sitting at a desk, or having extreme close-up phone conversations with Red, or wearing a big billowy sweater, and nobody ever even raised the possibility of her going into the field (despite offering pretty much nothing back at HQ). Very odd.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Needs more Terry O'Quinn.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Brent Spiner being evil! :3: :swoon:

Well, I've a feeling that we know what Kate's been up to in her time off-screen. Hell hath no fury, yadda yadda yadda.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 17, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

HACK THE PLANET

HAAAAACK THE PLANETTTTTTT

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So evidently next week they're going with the "Red's been poisoned" trope. Also, I was half-expecting Samar to finally throw Aram a bone because he's a KILLER now.

You know, until it's revealed that Spiner used a trap-door in the SUV to drop into the sewer after jamming the accelerator to the floor because WHY loving NOT?!?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The Spader and Spiner show would be great

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Did Spiner show up in one episode as a bad guy of the week or is he a recurring character now? (I gave up on this show a little while ago but I guess I'll come back for this.)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CaptainCaveman posted:

Did Spiner show up in one episode as a bad guy of the week or is he a recurring character now? (I gave up on this show a little while ago but I guess I'll come back for this.)

Bad Guy of the Week, but we never saw a body, so anything's possible - especially considering that everything Spiner's character did was designed to make you *think* something else (making him a male retread of the woman who did the same thing, really). There were eyes-off for plenty of time while Aram was using a highly-sophisticated weapon he had no training on that evidently launched a projectile at Mach 7 with *zero* recoil that just *happened* to hit the fuel tank on an SUV constructed largely of aluminum.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 21, 2017

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
The inexplicable spinoff premieres tonight. whee. :geno:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's good to know they decided to stick with the super creepy flirting between Tom and his probably mom in the new show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I don't think I can watch the spinoff. The charm of this show is Red. No Red? No dice.

And I say this as someone who likes Famke Janssen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

I don't think I can watch the spinoff. The charm of this show is Red. No Red? No dice.

And I say this as someone who likes Famke Janssen.

I'm gonna give it a shot simply *because* I like Famke, and they're trying to paint her pretty plainly as a heartless ~femme fatale~ with no redeeming qualities, which means that's not the (whole) truth. What I'm not really digging is the thought of stomaching cringe-worthy proto-incestual 'gently caress me, Tom Keen' BTTF-style tongue-in-cheek ploys every week, because if they're as blatant as the one in tonight's episode...yeah, no.

But if they can keep the muzzle on that poo poo, faux Irina Derevko gets her own show? I'm down...with reservations.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Redemption won't last, but I gotta say Tom Keen makes a better protagonist than his wife. In this episode alone he executed several complex spy missions and performed impromptu field surgery. Liz on the other hand has spent most of her screentime this season sitting around looking vaguely concerned about something.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I enjoyed it and hope it lasts a while - Heist of the week is way more fun than criminal case of the week.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The procedural formula for the core show is such rote garbage. Brett Spiner's "architect" had the exact same gimmick as that young smug rich kid who also set up coordinated criminal ventures, and that was literally only 10 episodes earlier in S3. Slick!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The procedural formula for the core show is such rote garbage. Brett Spiner's "architect" had the exact same gimmick as that young smug rich kid who also set up coordinated criminal ventures, and that was literally only 10 episodes earlier in S3. Slick!

But it's Data! Evil Data! CONSUME OUR ATTEMPT TO APPEAL TO YOUR NOSTALGIA!

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 26, 2017

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I enjoy Spiner, and I had no problem with his performance, just the scripting. Hell, I even thought his motorcade was rad because they brought in a sweet looking prop railgun without ever mentioning or explaining what it was.

If you want a whole lot more of him playing sinister, S1 of Cinemax's 'Outcast' was full of it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, so this past episode added a wrinkle that might make for a decent show, and drat, Edi Gathegi can act.

...even though I'm sure his character is literally "be an evil Dembe."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Edi Gathegi's character is by far the best character introduced in the show's run and it's basically an incredibly rare showrunner fluke they didn't kill him off like a bad guy of the week even though they explicitly set up a scene to do so if this spinoff fell through

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I didn't even realize the spinoff had started. Is it any good?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The second episode was decent enough but they've lost me now. It needs more Spader.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So evidently in the Blacklist universe, being right next to a highly-pressurized Sarin canister and releasing it doesn't kill you so long as the gas jet is pointing *away* from you when you open the valve. Good to know.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I didn't even realize the spinoff had started. Is it any good?

No Spader, so no.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They're also lapsing into an annoying rehash of "IS SHE OR ISN'T SHE" from the original show.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Minus the absence of Reddington's ham, 'Redemption' is way more fun to watch for a trash procedural than the original. The heist setpieces and editing are far more engaging than watching ressler mope around with his slackened opiate gaze and elizabeth play some kind of glorified secretary all episode long

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Minus the absence of Reddington's ham, 'Redemption' is way more fun to watch for a trash procedural than the original. The heist setpieces and editing are far more engaging than watching ressler mope around with his slackened opiate gaze and elizabeth play some kind of glorified secretary all episode long

Also, Eggold and Gathegi have good chemistry for being each other's foils. Honestly the weakest character thus far is Famke - at least Terry O'Quinn knows how to play crazy. Famke's high point was the opening scene, and from that point forward she's looked *bored*. Even her assistant and gigolo seemingly have more depth.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, Eggold and Gathegi have good chemistry for being each other's foils. Honestly the weakest character thus far is Famke - at least Terry O'Quinn knows how to play crazy. Famke's high point was the opening scene, and from that point forward she's looked *bored*. Even her assistant and gigolo seemingly have more depth.

I definitely appreciate the fact that show seems to actually be moving along at a steady pace with it's cental mystery. We're towards the end of the forth season of the mothership and we still know only slightly more than than we did by the end of episode one. Even the "big revelation" of Red admitting to being Liz's father can easily walked back. The writers are under the impression that "why character A is so interested in character B" is a mystery that you can hang an entire series on. Pro tip: You can't.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, that's certainly one way to put an end to the dithering back and forth.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, I could honestly give a poo poo if Redemption is ~redeemed~. Famke very obviously just didn't want to be there, and Eggold vs. Gathegi, while entertaining, can't carry the show on its own.

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Eggold vs. Gathegi, while entertaining, can't carry the show on its own.

Perve factor +2 for us ladies, but I think you're right.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I concur, famke janssen isn't exactly known for her command of the thespian arts but she stunk the screen up every time she was on it in a huge way

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I concur, famke janssen isn't exactly known for her command of the thespian arts but she stunk the screen up every time she was on it in a huge way

What's most disappointing is that while it's true she's not the best actress, she's quadrilingual in real life, which is something you'd expect out of a woman running a corporate army/intelligence service. But instead they made her into a glorified Mommie Dearest who only seemed like a badass because people kept *saying* she was (it's the same as Batfleck - we need to see some origin, not just 'you know the story, gently caress you, just eat it up, sheep'). I wanted Corporate Carmen Sandiego, and all I got was "woman looking annoyed and bored" every week. Pass.

If they'd kept up the intensity from the first scene where she cons the guy with the illusion that she's about to drop him out of a plane, it might've been a good show. Instead it didn't even peak early - it just felt like something they're now going to have to completely ignore or haphazardly bookend in the main show now.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 18, 2017

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

I'm beginning to think Famke was in a contest with Megan Boone to see who could be the least engaged looking female lead in the Blacklist franchise.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

That series really didn't make any sense...

"She's a sleeper agent, she's a sleeper agent, you are a sleeper agent, I know you have been replaced. Hey it's our son! So you can't kill him!"

Later:
"You know how much I love my son, I'd do anything for my son, don't turn me in I love my son, the one I had brutally tortured a few days ago in case my mentally ill husband talked to him."

I hope it's a cancelled and they spend 1 episode in the main series hunting for Locke and killing him in the end.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, "Requiem" was possibly one of the best episodes they've yet done, even if most of it is spent in the past. Whoever they're paying or torturing to write this now, they need to keep it up or pay them more.

I'm actually even *more* annoyed at "Redemption" now because it delayed us from seeing this kind of quality.

Also, I like Annie Heise (Aram's girlfriend) *a lot*. She's a good foil for Samar and she's *competent*. Can we do a mass write-in to NBC like they did for Jericho and ask if we can dye her hair darker and *she* could just be Liz from now on? She actually looks like she wants to be there.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 21, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
My favorite part of the flashbacks is how they didn't even bother to try de-aging Reddington.

Just put some shadows on his face, it'll be fine.

Also, seeing Amy Rutberg out of nowhere was a surprise. Hooking up with Mr. Kaplan is a step up from Foggy in Daredevil.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I heard The Blacklist literally wrote MGS' The Pain as an enemy this week. Have I been misled or is this true and should I catch up

• Locked thread