Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/IceSeason101/status/855084009226948609

I don't have anything particularly witty or insightful to add to this, I just take great personal enjoyment from any excuse to watch Sonic CD's intro again :frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This was probably an actual thing in the Archie Comics at one point to be fair.

Like wasn't there an issue where the entire story was told in reverse or something?

One of the earlier comics had an alternate universe where Sonic and crew being punks causing problems for Dr. Kintobor in the Sunken Island. Which apparently has all been renamed and changed to an original character since that comic came out.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There was Anti-Sonic, who was just Sonic in a leather jacket. He ran around being edgy™ until one of the writers said 'wait, that's dumb,' and gave him a new name (Scourge), different look, and something approaching a personality. Scourge went on to be mildly interesting but was one of the many many characters who didn't survive the reboot.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't have anything particularly witty or insightful to add to this, I just take great personal enjoyment from any excuse to watch Sonic CD's intro again :frogbon:

Sonic, stop, he's already dead, nooooo

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

beep by grandpa posted:

I can still remember how blown away I was when I saw a goddamn Sonic cartoon playing from my Sega Genesis. I mean, it was tiny and compressed like all Sega CD FMVs but still.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

YggiDee posted:

There was Anti-Sonic, who was just Sonic in a leather jacket. He ran around being edgy™ until one of the writers said 'wait, that's dumb,' and gave him a new name (Scourge), different look, and something approaching a personality. Scourge went on to be mildly interesting but was one of the many many characters who didn't survive the reboot.

Scourge was interesting once he became self-aware that he was basically Sonic's Knock-off. Half of his motivation was realizing "Wait, I'm just Evil-Sonic... I don't want to be 'Evil-Sonic' I want to be my own man." and trying his damnedest to break away from just being a knock-off.

The comic had been great since the reboot, and deep down I'm really hoping this isn't the end.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Is Archie even doing well these days? Like if the reason the comic has been put on hold/put to bed is that Archie can't actually pay the licensing fee anymore than something bad must have happened.

Did that CW Archie show they funded turn out okay?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Is Archie even doing well these days? Like if the reason the comic has been put on hold/put to bed is that Archie can't actually pay the licensing fee anymore than something bad must have happened.

Did that CW Archie show they funded turn out okay?

No, Archie is going through a lot of issues. But this one in particular is I think Scott Fulop? Right well Penders encouraged him to go sue Archie. Sega made it clear back when Penders was wrapping up that they didn't want to see any more legal issues. Fulop is also suing Sega for the Sonic Mega Collection. Because it "Included much of my comic book work."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

wasn't there also something with Kent Taylor, the guy who created Mammoth Mogul?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Onmi posted:

No, Archie is going through a lot of issues. But this one in particular is I think Scott Fulop? Right well Penders encouraged him to go sue Archie. Sega made it clear back when Penders was wrapping up that they didn't want to see any more legal issues. Fulop is also suing Sega for the Sonic Mega Collection. Because it "Included much of my comic book work."

Scott Fulop is listed as responsible for the...special Sonic comic Sonic Live.

I want Scott Fulop dead.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

Scott Fulop is listed as responsible for the...special Sonic comic Sonic Live.

I want Scott Fulop dead.

Fulop didn't write the main story that comic is known for, all he did was one of the back ups. That comic had three stories in it. The main story with the photographs of kids and a Genesis that's played with a TV remote was written by Ken Penders.

And apparently Fulop and Taylor are the same person. Doi.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm really hoping Archie Sonic doesn't get cancelled because I finally got around to reading the reboot stuff a couple months ago and it's legitimately everything I've ever wanted out of a piece of Sonic media.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Incidentally, are there any good Sonic games on PC or 3DS? I'm having a lot of fun with Generations, but it's also the only Sonic game I've played other than Sonic Adventure 2, so I've missed out on, like, a lot.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lost World is passable. It's not the greatest game in the world, but it runs fine and it gets the job done. It sure is a very competent game.

Sonic CD got the remake/remaster treatment from Taxman, and they actually put it on Steam unlike Sonic 1 and 2.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

YggiDee posted:

Incidentally, are there any good Sonic games on PC or 3DS? I'm having a lot of fun with Generations, but it's also the only Sonic game I've played other than Sonic Adventure 2, so I've missed out on, like, a lot.

Well, it's emulated, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles is $5 on Steam, and with the Workshop you can play Sonic 3 Complete, which lets you tweak the game in ways like having Sonic 2-Taxman style Tails assist (up+A), restoring the original level order, even enabling the PC S&K Collection music. It's as close to a perfect version of the game there is.

Also once you're done with Generations, you could try installing the Unleashed mod to play the day stages from Sonic Unleashed.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The best way to play Sonic Colors is emulated via Dolphin with the emulated CPU overclocked alongside the 60fps patch. Looks very nice in HD too and the game can use a standard gamepad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Lost World is passable. It's not the greatest game in the world, but it runs fine and it gets the job done. It sure is a very competent game.

Agree. I think it would have been a great game if they polished the mechanics more. It's flawed as hell but I still prefer how Sonic controls in it vs. other 3D Sonics.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TFRazorsaw posted:

Fulop didn't write the main story that comic is known for, all he did was one of the back ups. That comic had three stories in it. The main story with the photographs of kids and a Genesis that's played with a TV remote was written by Ken Penders.

And apparently Fulop and Taylor are the same person. Doi.

Ken Penders is guilty of far more than even I originally thought possible.

Ken Penders must die.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The CD AmMV is the best depiction of Sonic (the anime kinda sucks deal with it) because it perfectly nailed that he's a cute little fella omg but also a little badass. That's Sonic to me. A cute little wind deity whose also a hard nosed anti-authoritarian badass.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Robotnik Nudes posted:

(the anime kinda sucks deal with it)

Do you mean the show or the OVA.

Choose your next words very carefully......

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chibs posted:

Well, it's emulated, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles is $5 on Steam, and with the Workshop you can play Sonic 3 Complete, which lets you tweak the game in ways like having Sonic 2-Taxman style Tails assist (up+A), restoring the original level order, even enabling the PC S&K Collection music. It's as close to a perfect version of the game there is.
How do you get this to work? I tried running one of the versions on the workshop and it was just like, knuckles had weird music with no other changes I noticed. Where are the options?

The hub version is pretty good either way through. There's probably keys from the Sonic bundle still kicking around the steam keys thread anyway.

I really hope Taxman gets to do Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and put the whole lot up on Steam one day.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Sonic Rush was a great game and should be cheap since it was a DS game. Also the music is by Hideki Naganuma the guy who did Jet Set Radio's music.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Spiderdrake posted:

How do you get this to work? I tried running one of the versions on the workshop and it was just like, knuckles had weird music with no other changes I noticed. Where are the options?

This is the one you should be subscribed to, since it was uploaded by the lead programmer. Any duplicates that might be up I have no idea about. The options should be selectable right from the start.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chibs posted:

This is the one you should be subscribed to, since it was uploaded by the lead programmer. Any duplicates that might be up I have no idea about. The options should be selectable right from the start.
Awesome, the fact this works on the hub owns immensely. Time to play through S3&K again.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Some Sonic fan game is finished after 12 years of development. I've never heard of it but I'll give it a go.
http://gamejolt.com/games/sonic-time-twisted/24775

e: It's really good. Lots of stuff lifted from Sonic 3 and CD in a good way. Give it a try if you're itching for Sonic Mania, and give it a bigger chance than just the first zone.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 22, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Some Sonic fan game is finished after 12 years of development. I've never heard of it but I'll give it a go.
http://gamejolt.com/games/sonic-time-twisted/24775

Ooh, I remember this one from way back. The premise is pretty good: It's Sonic CD with the extraneous poo poo removed. Like why's there three time periods when there's literally no reason to go to the future ever, besides just to see it and mess around? And why does time travelling take forever and you have to find awkward speed spots in the level to do it which is really hard and frustrating when you don't even know the levels? That's gone. Hopefully they'll have executed well on it because I love me some Sonic CD.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Amppelix posted:

And why does time travelling take forever

loading screen!

I believe the remakes cut the time travel time down dramatically, didn't they?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, I'm not talking about that part but the part where you have to go 88 mph for an unreasonably long time continuously before it happens. Usually it means there's going to be one dedicated time-travelling spot in a level where you can safely achieve it without losing the effect and it's just annoying and off-putting to newcomers. Time Twisted solves this by just making you time travel when you run past a post and reducing the number of them. So you can still only effectively travel in a couple of spots but this time it's explicit.

I played through the first two zones and game seems good! There's some laughably bad cutscene animation but you can completely ignore that. Otherwise, gamefeel is good, it looks good, there's even a decent original soundtrack. The Sonic CD fan in me laments that the levels aren't as explorable as the CD ones are and there's lots of areas where you can't really backtrack, but the game seems overall be going for a more S3&K level structure anyway. The big rings from 3 are even back as special stage portals. So far my only real gripe would be that the level design seems a bit amateurish but I think that's kind of inevitable in most fan projects.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Ken Penders is guilty of far more than even I originally thought possible.

Ken Penders must die.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
The Taxman remake of CD cut the sparkle time needed to time travel by a second or so.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

How many dead bodies~
must an OC cross~
before you can call them an echidna~?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Who the gently caress is recommending Lost World 3Ds. Don't play that it is trash garbage and I hate that I paid full price for it. It's the worse version of an already fatally flawed game.

I heard the 3DS sonic boom titles are ok play them instead i guess?

Or just play anything else, most of Sonic's back catalogue is on steam these days. Racing Transformed is ace if you like kart racers :^)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Don't play any of the 3DS Sonic games, they are bad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

generations is pretty okay

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
The only good 3DS Sonic games are Sonic 1 and 2 3D.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Who the gently caress is recommending Lost World 3Ds. Don't play that it is trash garbage and I hate that I paid full price for it. It's the worse version of an already fatally flawed game.

I heard the 3DS sonic boom titles are ok play them instead i guess?

Or just play anything else, most of Sonic's back catalogue is on steam these days. Racing Transformed is ace if you like kart racers :^)

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is the only Boom title that's anything close to resembling a decent game. But otherwise yeah, if you must play Sonic Lost World go for the Wii U/PC version instead (Generations 3DS isn't that bad though it's still inferior to the console version).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 22, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How do you do the infinite spin dash in Lost World? Asking for a friend.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

How do you do the infinite spin dash in Lost World? Asking for a friend.

Spindash, let go of the button then press it again

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i want to be as beautiful
as a sewer rat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I cross ...dead bodies?