Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

I actually did that with better results as far as getting thin lines for the gpu, and might just do that for the cpu when i redo the paste because gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kirtar posted:

Do we know the orientation of that? I'm assuming it's aligned with where we see gaps in the pins on the underside

Corner alignment triangle, dude.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I actually did that with better results as far as getting thin lines for the gpu, and might just do that for the cpu when i redo the paste because gently caress it

GPUs are bare dies, they need it because they don't have their own heat spreader like a CPU.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 21, 2017

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Oh jesus christ

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I'm going to reseat my cooler over the weekend (AM4 bracket on sideways), I just did a rather large blob straight down the middle so will see how much coverage that got.

Actually I think there was a hard chunk of compound on the end that is probably on there, might be helping with temps? :D

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Please don't dox HowToBasic.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....You mean the hard bit of compound that's the first thing to come out of the tube when you open it up after having not used it in a long-rear end time? Yeah, that's probably causing half your problems alone, if it was particularly dry and crusty.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....You mean the hard bit of compound that's the first thing to come out of the tube when you open it up after having not used it in a long-rear end time? Yeah, that's probably causing half your problems alone, if it was particularly dry and crusty.

Correct, but I'm maxing at 63.3 degrees at 1.35v

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VealCutlet posted:

Correct, but I'm maxing at 63.3 degrees at 1.35v

My bad, I got you mixed up with gwrtheyrn.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My bad, I got you mixed up with gwrtheyrn.

Haha, yeah I figured. Was going to do some work on this tonight but a bit cbf. Will recable and do all that poo poo tomorrow, then try get my ram working at 3200 with non poo poo timings, push for 4ghz and try some more benching :D

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
With the mitx board out, I hope we get ones that support ECC. I'd like a cheapo home NAS.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Wait, ryzen's 4/4 structure is not internal to the chip, but rather from 2 4 core dies? No loving wonder

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Wait, ryzen's 4/4 structure is not internal to the chip, but rather from 2 4 core dies? No loving wonder
It's a single die, the solder that affixes the IHS is applied in two square pieces then melted.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

no it's one die, that's just 2 squares of solder material in that dissected pic

probably easier during manufacture for whatever reason. the midline between the two halves if the low-energy stuff, so it doesn't matter.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

No, that was a poor use of words on my choice. I meant to convey that a dot over each of the two smaller rectangles might be better than one larger dot in the center. I absolutely should not have used to word "die" in my post and apologize, and have fixed the post.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, that was a poor use of words on my choice. I meant to convey that a dot over each of the two smaller rectangles might be better than one larger dot in the center. I absolutely should not have used to word "die" in my post and apologize, and have fixed the post.

No, it wasn't your words, I was confused from the line in the middle-- i thought it was from two dies rather than the 2 patches of solder the top two posts said

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Spent the last few hours cleaning up and benching.

FYI my CPU coverage for thermals wasn't too bad, re-did it anyway.

Managed to get the CPU to 3.9 for cine and topped out at 1308, got 1279 at 3.8:

Pushed it to 3.95@1.5v for some 3dMark runs, managed to get top spot for 1600/1080

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12409552

And case pic:

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Okay, I'm a noob at overclocking, but I've OC'd my 1600X to 3.9GHz @ 1.43V and I'm getting some conflicting results as far as temps go. HWMonitor reports that I'm idling at 53-60C which I thought was a little high. When stress testing in prime95 it jumps to 90C+ it even jumped as high as 97C before I freaked out and stopped the test. I dropped the voltage and clock speed several times all the way down to 1.38V but I could never get it to idle lower than 55 and temps hung around 88-91 under load.

I read through this thread and thought maybe I should check the thermal paste like some of you recommended, but I noticed that the BIOS was reading 31-33C at idle which is about 20 degrees cooler than what HWMonitor reports. After a google search some people recommended using Ryzen Master and it's reporting the same 31-33C temps at idle. Im running prime95 right now and it's staying pretty stable at 73C.

I'm guessing this is just a problem with HWMonitor? My motherboard is Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming 3.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Ryzen has a 20 degree delta built into it for something. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a result of that (hwmonitor being ignorant)

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Ryzen has a 20 degree delta built into it for something. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a result of that (hwmonitor being ignorant)

Okay, that's good. I just wanted to make sure. I almost died of a heart attack when it hit 97 degrees lol.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

More specifically, Ryzen processors that ends with an X reports temperatures that are 20 degrees hotter than they actually are. It presumably has something to do with the eXtended Frequency Range thingy they have, but I don't think AMD has given any details.

Level1 techs made a video where they theorized about it if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoE1s0pqjv0

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Drakhoran posted:

More specifically, Ryzen processors that ends with an X reports temperatures that are 20 degrees hotter than they actually are. It presumably has something to do with the eXtended Frequency Range thingy they have, but I don't think AMD has given any details.

Level1 techs made a video where they theorized about it if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoE1s0pqjv0

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
Overclocking nonsense:

So HWInfo vs Ryzen master practically has three temperature points. Tdie, Tcal(I think) and one for the motherboard reporting temperatures, and they all vary. Oone of them has the +20C offset, which I'm ignoring. Which one should I consider the "legitimate" one as far as don't scorch my processor temps are concerned?

Additionally, VRM seems hot under prime95 load at 83c. Is there an appropriate range?

Using Killer/ac, 1600x.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Atreus posted:

Overclocking nonsense:

So HWInfo vs Ryzen master practically has three temperature points. Tdie, Tcal(I think) and one for the motherboard reporting temperatures, and they all vary. Oone of them has the +20C offset, which I'm ignoring. Which one should I consider the "legitimate" one as far as don't scorch my processor temps are concerned?

Additionally, VRM seems hot under prime95 load at 83c. Is there an appropriate range?

Using Killer/ac, 1600x.

Hwinfo has 3 temps. Tdie Tctl and the socket temperature. Tctl is Tdie+20, and the motherboard reading is probably socket temperature. I only really look at tdie

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
I had a stick of my Skylake-used Corsair DDR4-3000 2x8GB kit die, so I'm in the market for new RAM again...I was only able to get these to 2666 on my Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3. Should I be looking to stay with Corsair or should I be shopping around for something else? I have ~150 budgeted for RAM, and don't mind "only" 16GB.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

NerdsMcGee posted:

I had a stick of my Skylake-used Corsair DDR4-3000 2x8GB kit die, so I'm in the market for new RAM again...I was only able to get these to 2666 on my Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3. Should I be looking to stay with Corsair or should I be shopping around for something else? I have ~150 budgeted for RAM, and don't mind "only" 16GB.

Check the QVL for your motherboard if you want to be safe. The options for 3200 off of the QVL for that board are pretty limited, though presumably most samsung B-die kits should work fine. The 2x8GB 3200 kits on the list are like $186 though.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

kirtar posted:

Check the QVL for your motherboard if you want to be safe. The options for 3200 off of the QVL for that board are pretty limited, though presumably most samsung B-die kits should work fine. The 2x8GB 3200 kits on the list are like $186 though.

Ordered some GeiL GEX416GB3000C15ADC which were on the QVL for DDR-3000 / 2933. Hopefully I can OC them to 3200, if not, it's still better than before. Thanks!

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

NerdsMcGee posted:

What BIOS version are you using? I have the same motherboard with version F6 and was able to get my G.Skill Flare X up to 3200MHz using XMP no problem. I wasn't able to do it with F5.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 27, 2017

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Bareback Werewolf posted:

What BIOS version are you using? I have the same motherboard with version F6 and was able to get my G.Skill Flare X up to 3200MHz using XMP no problem. I wasn't able to do it with F5.

I'm on F6, and anything higher than 2666 won't post no matter the timings or volts. Oh well, the GeiL should be better.

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....
Here is a good video where an AMD rep goes through the overclocking process for ram and cpu. Hopefully this helps people get their speeds up to 3200MHz. I've yet to tinker with my settings, but am looking forward to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
That video is pretty good. Nice to hear some details about the more arcane Zen specific settings though he doesn't dwell too much on any of them.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Updated to the MSI A3 bios for my mortar arctic, ram is stable at 3200 now at the purchased timings and my 3.8GHz OC is stable at 0.0125v less. Good stuff.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

If I can get a R5 1600X for $217, is that a good "jump in" price? It seems like a lot of people are going with the R7 1700 (non-X), so want to make sure I'm not missing something.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SourKraut posted:

If I can get a R5 1600X for $217, is that a good "jump in" price? It seems like a lot of people are going with the R7 1700 (non-X), so want to make sure I'm not missing something.

220 for a 1600x is pretty good, and could get to 3.9 oc.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

SourKraut posted:

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that all of the non-X ones will overclock to the same clock as their X counter part and come with a cooler. Normally the cooler wouldn't be a big deal, but AM4 cooler brackets are some what rare these days. So in short, you're still spending more even money to get less, since all of the motherboards can overclock unlike Intel.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Passmark says AMD took 2% of market share away from Intel last quarter. :toot:

More significant when you consider that Ryzen was only on sale for the last month of Q1, which was further compounded by motherboard shortages.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html

Perf stepping for Ryzen when, AMD?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 1, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If I order a 1700, I'll be sure to let the thread know, because the performance stepping will probably arrive the week after.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Passmark says AMD took 2% of market share away from Intel last quarter. :toot:

More significant when you consider that Ryzen was only on sale for the last month of Q1, which was further compounded by motherboard shortages.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html

No, actually that says that 2% more of the Passmark runs were done on AMD systems. Which isn't quite the same thing, especially when Ryzen has performance problems that need a lot of tweaking to tune up properly. They don't even dedupe down to actual unique users, it's literally "runs of the software". Run it five times, you go in 5 times.

Steam results are probably going to be a little more meaningful, or some other source of data on actual systems as opposed to number of benchmark runs.

It's still a pretty good result for AMD though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 2, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If you have an 1x00X processor, the latest version of Ryzen Master will give you correct temperature readings.

Upgraded from 0605 to 0609 on my ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS and it stopped booting, lol.

I'm assuming it's an issue specific to being on 0605 and going directly to 0609 without first upgrading to 0606, which I did not notice when I downloaded 0609.

Contacted ASUS support on Saturday, no reply yet. Have exhausted all avenues of "fixing" this one, CMOS Reset, CMOS Reset + Battery Removal, and the Ctrl+Alt+Del Reset+Power process. Can't even get it to post to boot into a DVD or autodetect bios firmware on fat32 thumb drive. Also tried swapping out memory/gpu just to verify individual things still functioned in other machines.

Amazon was really cool about it and I'll have a replacement here tomorrow morning, they also let me return both sets of ram I purchased weeks after the return window w/ no additional charges.

This is probably a stupid question but I'm extremely lazy: is it possible to remove the heatsink/pump and processor together without having to re-apply paste? I have some handy regardless but it hadn't occurred to me until now that I could do even less

:effort:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Probably, as long as you don't move the block too much and create any air voids or crack the paste or whatever. I would really just repaste it though. It's fifteen minutes of work to clean it up, just suck it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
http://techreport.com/news/31826/ryzen-cant-put-amd-into-the-black-for-its-fiscal-q1-2017

So AMD lost even more money YoY despite Ryzen.