Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

this is a stickup posted:

yeah that's my fault, I just didn't remember

you spinning something you knew like that is interesting enough though

Are you scum stickums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ernie. posted:

##unvote
##vote lord of hats

hi all :D

:crossarms:

Is there a particular reason for voting me? It's not a huge deal, but it seems like an odd place to drop a no-context vote.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is there a particular reason for voting me? It's not a huge deal, but it seems like an odd place to drop a no-context vote.

i read your post about 100yrs and it struck me as opportunistic

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

##unvote
##vote lord of hats

someone play a ~dangerous~ game with me

Let's play 'Two Lies, One Breadcrumb'

Boys make up the majority of my friends.
On the other hand girls make up the majority of my friends.
Still, twice two gives you five.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

And as typically scummy as it is I agree with Moat about lurkers. Were I scum in a game this large and this early on, I'd feel NO need to stick out my head and become a target. We really often forget about them, and that really works well to their advantage. In the same breath those that use clamming up as a tactic instead of engagement ping me, because they're hoping we just forget what they're doing.

For example:

The Lord of Hats posted:

Dear Lord,

You should participate more. I find it suspicious you only seem to appear when referenced directly. The game is big and there's a lot of information but someone here looks preoccupied only with themselves.

Sincerely,

100yrs

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Ernie. posted:

jai alai?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

wow tough crowd

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

surely we can land thirt een votes on one individual on day one

or i can just shoot tpink

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hi guys im doc

good night!!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
hi friends

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

##unvote
##vote lord of hats

Let's play 'Two Lies, One Breadcrumb'

i really don't like this post because i think it's honest to goodness maybe one of the first genuine examples of rolefishing i've ever seen, but also i want to play the game :(

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Tired Moritz posted:

hi guys im doc

good night!!

hosed up if true

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i'd vote tmm on general principle. chill out dude. save the 'go gently caress yourself' for day three at least. i know that's just how you roll but drat.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Birdstrike posted:

wow tough crowd

I was gonna post that jackass with the jai alai but i got distracted by something shiny

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i don't think max's vote on quandary was good at all and the way he backed off it was worse. i feel like his name was coming up often during my reread, was there anything else I was missing there?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Moatillata posted:

hosed up if true

im sorry it's actually the afternoon right now :(

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Somberbrero posted:

i don't think max's vote on quandary was good at all and the way he backed off it was worse. i feel like his name was coming up often during my reread, was there anything else I was missing there?

Do you really think a scum max would be that careless tho? Thats what stays my hand

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Moatillata posted:

Do you really think a scum max would be that careless tho? Thats what stays my hand

Yeah. I think one mistake we as a community make is overestimating the caution of scum players.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah. I think one mistake we as a community make is overestimating the caution of scum players.

Hmmm point taken

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
We have a lot we could learn from naruto forums

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tired Moritz posted:

im sorry it's actually the afternoon right now :(

Did you want to actually comment on any cases or on who you think is scum? I only ask because I noticed your entire post history is in my Mafia Dictionary under "White Noise"

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

Not there, but you're missing the fact that you're scum.

Somberbrero posted:

i really don't like this post because i think it's honest to goodness maybe one of the first genuine examples of rolefishing i've ever seen, but also i want to play the game :(

Can't have it both ways. Either embrace it or call the guy scum. You did neither.

Somberbrero posted:

i'd vote tmm on general principle. chill out dude. save the 'go gently caress yourself' for day three at least. i know that's just how you roll but drat.

Why are you trying to egg on TMM? I feel like you're trying to stir the pot to create some easy content so you can then check-out.

Somberbrero posted:

And this is some pointless shade tossed limply max's way.

What I'm trying to get at is you've said pretty much nothing here. You may as well have not posted at all.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

##unvote

##vote somberbrero

Shape up or ship out.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

100YrsofAttitude posted:

##unvote

##vote somberbrero

Shape up or ship out.

tend 2 a g r e e

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
100 I cannot possibly believe that you expect me to take you seriously here.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

100 I cannot possibly believe that you expect me to take you seriously here.

I maybe said things in a less than serious manner, but I do think all your words amounted to nothing.

You'd have been better off giving straight town reads instead of weakly dropping opinions such as these. Considering you're vote on me was one of the worse me-too's we got, I don't think you really have much to say. So instead of actually looking for content you're being forced to whip up some weak non-cases.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I maybe said things in a less than serious manner, but I do think all your words amounted to nothing.

You'd have been better off giving straight town reads instead of weakly dropping opinions such as these. Considering you're vote on me was one of the worse me-too's we got, I don't think you really have much to say. So instead of actually looking for content you're being forced to whip up some weak non-cases.

Do you think there's any other players that have said a lot of words that have amounted to nothing, or are similarly whipping up "weak non-cases"?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Speaking of whipping up non-cases, what's your actual motivation for trying to cut me down here? You seem to very badly want to imply that I'm scum but can't muster up gumption to do it. I won't argue that my posts were anything essential, I'm very sick and very tired and very busy, but that's why it's so weird that you jumped down my throat. You're attacking my tone and language rather than any argument, your breakdown is entirely rhetorical and lovely.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Not there, but you're missing the fact that you're scum.

So I feel like you're coming in here with an assumption that doesn't make any sense. Is this because I backed pmom's good vote on you?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Can't have it both ways. Either embrace it or call the guy scum. You did neither.

Well, no. I feel like the intent was pretty clear.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Why are you trying to egg on TMM? I feel like you're trying to stir the pot to create some easy content so you can then check-out.

Gosh I should really know better than to come at TMM with a 'chill out dude.' I hope the resulting drama from that post doesn't obfuscate our current dialog.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

And this is some pointless shade tossed limply max's way.

What's pointless about it? These two posts are less than a day apart, click back for context.

Max posted:

This made me smile

This did not

##unvote
##vote Quandary

Max posted:

Also I have a vote on Quandary for some reason that I can't remember. ##unvote

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What I'm trying to get at is you've said pretty much nothing here. You may as well have not posted at all.

You're so hyper aggressive here that I can't see this play as anything other than the most transparent, ham-fisted smear job.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Did you want to actually comment on any cases or on who you think is scum? I only ask because I noticed your entire post history is in my Mafia Dictionary under "White Noise"

stickup is scum

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

Speaking of whipping up non-cases, what's your actual motivation for trying to cut me down here? You seem to very badly want to imply that I'm scum but can't muster up gumption to do it. I won't argue that my posts were anything essential, I'm very sick and very tired and very busy, but that's why it's so weird that you jumped down my throat. You're attacking my tone and language rather than any argument, your breakdown is entirely rhetorical and lovely.

I mustered the gumption though? I voted you. And my very first line included the phrase "...you're scum".

And I respect if you're feeling down and out. It's good you made the effort to show up and if this the best you can do given your situation, well then I read the thing wrong. Yet, given how much time is left in this D1 you could've taken some more time off and not troubled yourself with out missing much and going on noticed. The question is then why push yourself to make an effort when you have all the time in the world to later to do so?

As for tone and language, that's how I play:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I try to read the tone and bias of a player through their words. Feel free to judge how effective that is.

For someone who is voting me you don't seem to be reading my posts very carefully.

Somberbrero posted:

So I feel like you're coming in here with an assumption that doesn't make any sense. Is this because I backed pmom's good vote on you?

To clear that up that was just a direct response to you saying, "Am I missing anything else there?" So I respond, "Not there. You're missing the fact you are scum."

Somberbrero posted:

Well, no. I feel like the intent was pretty clear.

You imply that he's scummy for rolefishing, however, rolefishing is often a direct ticket to being Scum and gets votes on you (look at: Pmom's case on me.) You neither call him scum nor do you vote him. You're making a call of sorts maybe hoping it gains tractions before you can land on it yourself. I couldn't say what your ultimate intention was. It was a weak scum-call, at any rate, maybe that's all you meant by it, though I cannot imagine what purpose it serves you.

Somberbrero posted:

Gosh I should really know better than to come at TMM with a 'chill out dude.' I hope the resulting drama from that post doesn't obfuscate our current dialog.

First thing you say is that you'd vote him for his outburst alone. That's exactly what he was arguing against so vehemently. Getting a player annoyed and flustered is a great way to have them monopolize the dialogue making it easy for others to keep out of the main action and with any luck get votes on a hapless victim. I think you're more aware of what that comment could do than what you're admitting.

Somberbrero posted:

What's pointless about it? These two posts are less than a day apart, click back for context.

Considering the time-stamp you're more in the right here. Yet, you don't end on a definitive call or action, and this line, "i feel like his name was coming up often during my reread, was there anything else I was missing there?" particularly the final question feels like you're asking for someone to come in and strengthen your case before you do anything about it.

If I came off strong it's because I believe what I'm saying here. This isn't a smear-job though, and don't try to downplay it as nothing more than that. I'm calling you scum because you made a bunch of scummy reads, and I'm voting you because I'd like to see less scum in the game in the coming days.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Do you think there's any other players that have said a lot of words that have amounted to nothing, or are similarly whipping up "weak non-cases"?

Moat is shitposting, but I have trouble knowing what to do in regards to people who post like that.

Max is mostly poo poo-posting BUT:

Max posted:

Reads a bit like caught scum that don't like how they were caught, but he may also just be angry.

This is a bad post in regards to TMM and is exactly the sort of thing I'm calling Somber on.

Most other players have either posted very little overall, if at all, or have pursued threads of some variety or other in more concrete fashion.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I think 100yrs is making good points on somber, and at first I thought he was pushing too hard on little things, but after seeing somber's reaction, I've changed my mind. Calling 100yrs case a "ham fisted smear job" sounds like something a surprised scum would say. Somber is a good vote today.

As are these two folks:

its me glenda posted:

##unvote

##vote tpink

in all seriousness i dont think 100 is scum and i like uraniums breakdown of tpink. tpink is also using lots of emotes which i always see as a minor scumtell same with overusage of ellipses. it does look like tpink wants to lay groundwork on people eyeing him so when he votes that way it doesn't come off as omgus. motive behind post looks fishy.

pinterest mom either doesnt know who i am or is scum

its me glenda posted:

i think 100yrs is just neurotic and overposting because theres so many people playing on this day one but thats my read.

This is pretty much the entirety of glenda's actual post history, unless some of the things I thought were jokeposts were serious. Now a lot of people don't have much content (myself included, yes), but glenda has quite a few posts and they're mostly chaff.

As for the other

Tired Moritz posted:

hi guys im doc

good night!!

This is dumb. It's either a dumb lie or the dumb truth, and either way, it's dumb.

Tired Moritz posted:

stickup is scum

This is Moritz's most recent post, and only attempt to actually play mafia.

Right now I'm feeling ##vote Moritz but I would vote any of the three happily.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
actually I suggest we kill a lurker. lurkers are always scum and an active town liability

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Is it just me or if Mithross is genuinely feeling a Moritz vote he should have mentioned it first not last?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

actually I suggest we kill a lurker. lurkers are always scum and an active town liability

I like killing lurkers as much as the next guy, but we have players actively playing as scum so it seems counter-intuitive to do so.

Birdstrike posted:

Is it just me or if Mithross is genuinely feeling a Moritz vote he should have mentioned it first not last?

It seems the weakest case of the 3 at that too, but I know that I often like to end a post on a vote for the finality it gives it. Also I tend to prefer cases I make myself than me-tooing other people but those are the only ways I can think of excusing Mithross.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I like to end with the person I'm going to vote on so my vote appears at the end of the post.

Also choosing moritz specifically out of the three was because he has a tendency of posting immediately after someone comments on him or votes him, and I wanted to see if that would happen again.

It did.

And his post still wasn't great, and had nothing to do with my call out on him not really playing. In fact, it was an excuse to continue not playing (don't have to case if you want to vote a lurker). I like lurker votes, but not in a huge d1 game. it's easy for people to get intimidated, we have people actively acting scummy, and of any day, day 1 is a day we need to establish connections not kill someone who hasn't posted anything. The long slog middle days are lurker vote days.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
there's a quarter of the game not voting ATM

c'mon y'all

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mithross posted:

Also choosing moritz specifically out of the three was because he has a tendency of posting immediately after someone comments on him or votes him, and I wanted to see if that would happen again.

It did.

Good point.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
it's a sunday. don't shame me for checking this thread constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
the number of times people actually find scum in day 1 is much lower than townies being bad and getting lynched because they act scummy

and I had too many games where town threw because they don't want to kill lurkers for some reason. the sooner people get punished for no posting, the better and the game quality would actually increase with the days instead of reaching the dull mid point where the vocal players just lynched each other and the maf wins.

of course, you are allowed to disagree :)

• Locked thread