Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Early in the Presidency (or maybe pre-inauguration), Donnie invited all of the network TV anchors to a big meeting.

Within a few hours, each anchor was giving out new information per a "Senior White House Official" when everyone knew those anchors had ONLY interviewed Donnie that day.

The most senior official I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

psydude posted:

I was in the middle of mobilization at Camp Shelby when the shutdown occurred and this was a favorite line of barracks lawyers.

As an aside, when the shutdown happened they laid off all of the gate guards and never bothered​ rehiring them. The gates at Shelby (which at the time was an active duty post) were completely unmanned and open 24/7.

I was scheduled to deploy that week. My commander was extremely unamused when I asked point blank to be paid in advance. I think his exact words were "failure to go."

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

If you didn't pay the people on active duty for an entire month you'd have an armed mutiny purely because 90% of the people in service are too bad with their money to buy tobacco and alcohol for that amount of time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/22/world/asia/taliban-afghanistan-military-base-soldiers-killed.html

Bunch of dead ANA.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I'm losing a lot of sleep over that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Killed while at prayer in a mosque? gently caress man, not even the Taliban stoop to that level.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

psydude posted:

Killed while at prayer in a mosque? gently caress man, not even the Taliban stoop to that level.

Hence why it was clearly a false flag op by the Trump Administration.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trump-puts-eu-ahead-of-britain-in-trade-queue-l7t8zwn7k

USA is looking for a trade deal with EU before britian.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm betting that the government shuts down for one workday. They fail to make a deal on Friday, it's closed on Monday as everyone shits their pants, then a deal is made late Monday night and it's open on Tuesday.

No wall, continuing resolution at current funding levels.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I'm betting that the government shuts down for one workday. They fail to make a deal on Friday, it's closed on Monday as everyone shits their pants, then a deal is made late Monday night and it's open on Tuesday.

And Trump desperately trying to blame it on the Democrats.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

And Trump desperately trying to blame it on the Democrats.

And most republican supporters believing him.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TBeats posted:

And most republican supporters believing him.

That's the part that will cause a few brain cells to die trying to figure out for me. I guess this will be more DEEP STATE OH MY GOD OH MY GOD maybe? I still don't get how an entirely republican government will blame it on Obama and expect it to make sense but I suppose I should just embrace 2017 and stop trying to make sense of things.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Flikken posted:

Anyone know if the shutdown affects the Federal Reserve?

The Federal Reserve is a commercial bank so it is completely self-funded and unaffected by federal government budget issues.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

timma85 posted:

The Federal Reserve is a commercial bank so it is completely self-funded and unaffected by federal government budget issues.

Good. Then my industry won't grind to a halt.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

I'd place a bet on a week long CR followed by a shutdown because Donnie somehow thinks that he can blame it all on the Democrats.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

bird food bathtub posted:

That's the part that will cause a few brain cells to die trying to figure out for me. I guess this will be more DEEP STATE OH MY GOD OH MY GOD maybe? I still don't get how an entirely republican government will blame it on Obama and expect it to make sense but I suppose I should just embrace 2017 and stop trying to make sense of things.

it isn't hard to figure out

most people can't name all 3 branches of government

if you ask people if they are for obamacare or for the ACA, they pick one based on who they like or hate despite it being the same

most people are not well educated on how government runs and don't have the time to learn

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

egyptian rat race posted:

The global entry "interview" is a loving joke. I was pissed I had to drive 4hrs round trip to the nearest eligible office, wait 30min in an empty room only to be called in to an office with 4 agents loving around on their computers with no other interviewees, asked 3 questions (super basic "have you committed any international smuggling crimes please be honest" stuff) and then told to leave. Also every loving time I've gone through customs at IAH the express lanes are closed anyway, so it's been a big waste. Pre-check is totally worth it though, and breezing by long lines of poor fuckers at Orlando or PDX will never get old.

Yeah, I have to drive an hour one way to O'Hare instead of the airport 10 minutes from my house because an appointment will take several months otherwise. I'm 90% doing it because I don't have free Precheck now that I don't have a CAC.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

most people are not well educated on how government runs and don't have the time to learn

I have a theory that we are exceeding the complexity level that your "average" human can comprehend and process, given our current educational system.

But that is a Ivory tower wank thread for DND.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think the root of the whole "politics as sports teams" thing is that most Americans are comfortable enough not to care, and feel removed enough from the system to bother trying.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A lack of interest does not absolve people of responsibility, which is why I still maintain that Trump and Brexit voters deserve everything that's coming to them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A Bad Poster posted:

Jesus loving christ, aren't all functions of the government that function day to day "essential"? If they aren't then why do they even exist? I'm guessing that it all comes down to opinion on what is actually necessary.

Essential: The Vinson strike group currently operating in the WESTPAC. Not essential: DFAS.

HTH.

Buca di Bepis posted:

"Essential" doesn't mean "these are the only people we actually need", it means "this is the bare minimum number of people to keep the lights on so things don't implode while everyone else is told to stay home"

This.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 22, 2017

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I wish someone had the balls to classify Secret Service protection at Mar e Largo as unnecessary and tell Donnie that there's no money for him or his family to leave the White House in the event of a shutdown.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Flikken posted:

Good. Then my industry won't grind to a halt.

For those of you not clear about what happens to you during a shutdown - the last one happened in 2013. That was the first one in nearly a generation, but this time around chances are you've got coworkers who have an idea how it's going to go down.

e: That is, ask them.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 22, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Looking forward to leadership asking us to ask everyone who will miss bills if pay gets interrupted for like one day and seeing 85% of the hands go up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Regarding the government shutdown, the government shuts down at 12:01 Saturday morning.

So naturally, Donnie just scheduled a rally in Pennsylvania for Saturday, specifically to counter the White House Correspondents Dinner, which is that same night, as a "100 days" celebration.

:psyduck:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 22, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Sign them up for Financial Management !!~!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I kinda wish that social security/SSDI/vet paychecks would get affected by the shutdown since it's on the 29th so the majority of people that actually vote will be turbo outraged when their check is late by a day.

The vast majority of americans live paycheck to paycheck and can't cover an unexpected 400 dollar expense.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Looking forward to leadership asking us to ask everyone who will miss bills if pay gets interrupted for like one day and seeing 85% of the hands go up.

if you miss a pay day from the government you don't get paid again until the next regular pay day.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Regarding the government shutdown, the government shuts down at 12:01 Saturday morning.

So naturally, Donnie just scheduled a rally in Pennsylvania for Saturday, specifically to counter the White House Correspondents Dinner, which is that same night, as a "100 days" celebration.

:psyduck:

Can't wait for the twitter meltdown next Sunday!!!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

if you miss a pay day from the government you don't get paid again until the next regular pay day.

Well, yeah, I was using hyperbole, but it was more to illustrate just how many people live month to month or bi-weekly for those who get paid bi-weekly.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Well, yeah, I was using hyperbole, but it was more to illustrate just how many people live month to month or bi-weekly for those who get paid bi-weekly.

look, dude. you have no idea what i have been through. don't judge me. i didn't WANT to steal money from the CQ desk, but i needed cigarettes.

(this is a 100% true story)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Right - at the societal level there's a lot of policy changes that could be made to improve income inequality, create savings options for those not making a ton of money, improve the fragile employment situation of the working poor, better provide for financial education, etc.

But come on. On a personal level if you are drawing a reliable paycheck and not getting that for two weeks is going to seriously put you out, you done hosed up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My pay was hosed for my first two months on active duty, so I was getting BAS and nothing else, and I had very little in savings after college. Almost had to go to AER, but my CDR flipped out and said he'd give me a lovely review if I couldn't manage on LT pay (WHICH I WAS NOT RECEIVING, AS HE WELL KNEW). That guy was kind of a prick.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I remember talking to people in the platoon office and I had some random expense pop up, 500 maybe 600 dollar type thing, and I was just bitching about it.

People are then like interest free army loan or some such poo poo, and I'm like naah bro I'm good and apparently I'm a unicorn millionaire.

And then people were talking about how to stretch that last dollar by buying gas on post because the initial charge was one dollar and you could fill up your tank as long as you had a buck in your account.

I really don't miss that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

No idea if this happened all over, but the exchange at the coast guard base in Boston now charges the same amount for cigarettes and dip that you would pay if you went outside base to the nearest 7-11.

All the vets and wage grade guys are pissed because they used to buy cartons of the poo poo that they would either use themselves or buy for other people.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I'm going to be broke if the government shuts down. Time to start a gofundme account!

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Republicans are going to be blaming Obama for everything going wrong at least for the next 20 years.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

I wish someone had the balls to classify Secret Service protection at Mar e Largo as unnecessary and tell Donnie that there's no money for him or his family to leave the White House in the event of a shutdown.

the Mar-a-Lago club closes in May and won't open until Halloween

Trump hasn't gone this weekend (loving crazy rite) and likely won't until it re-opens

Apparently some place in New Jersey might be his second second White House

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was in a unit where getting reimbursed for TDY was a notoriously slow process, because some retired former O-5 jerk was the final approval and it didn't matter if you had a letter from a goddamned BDE CDR or general officer, he'd nitpick the poo poo out of all your expenses and would delay payment for months. When I was staying in marine billets for a school at the whopping cost of $20/night, he demanded to know if I'd looked into getting a free barracks room with a unit at that station. Like "Hello, Marine commander, would you like an Army Captain to hang out in your barracks with your devil-dog enlisted for a couple months?" Dude held out for about 4-5 months until our brigade commander called to bitch about it to the guy's boss.

Our section's advice to everyone who showed up to do our job (we went TDY a lot) was to have $5-6K in a slush fund in case this guy decided to gently caress you over and have you pay out of pocket for flights all over the world and lodging while he went on google maps to determine if you really needed that car rental or if you could just walk 15 miles to work each day. This was when OCO and GWOT money was flowing, btw.

That wasn't much of a current event, soooo, here you go:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/855814859069558784

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/855653180583034881

edit: That second link was in error, but I'm leaving it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A Handed Missus posted:

Apparently some place in New Jersey might be his second second White House

Bridgegate 2: Secret Service Boogaloo

• Locked thread