Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
Holy poo poo that round 8 beatdown was unreal. Loma was just pushing Sosa's hands down to hit him in the head a few more times. Repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Clevername Lookhere posted:

Holy poo poo that round 8 beatdown was unreal. Loma was just pushing Sosa's hands down to hit him in the head a few more times. Repeatedly.

Yeah, that was loving mean. What a fight, holy poo poo. Sosa looked pretty alright even in defeat, he was even throwing at the end of round 9.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
If tonight is any indication they probably shouldn't hold too many events at the MGM National Harbor because if this is how referees are going to officiate there someone is getting badly hurt

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't know if I could pick a winner in Lomachenko vs Garcia. I'd think Mikey may be the favorite, but drat Lomachenko has some skills.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

If tonight is any indication they probably shouldn't hold too many events at the MGM National Harbor because if this is how referees are going to officiate there someone is getting badly hurt

Seriously I can't believe he let it continue after 8. I was afraid that Sosa showed *just* enough in round 9 for his corner to keep him in it so I'm glad they didn't. I think it looked like a doctor was stepping in as well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey guys, Lomachenko v Crawford, ignoring size difference, who wins?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey guys, Lomachenko v Crawford, ignoring size difference, who wins?

Screw GGG-Canelo, now THIS is the super-fight I want to see

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

What's Crawfords best fight?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Postol, a fight where he clowned the #2 guy in the division in an incredibly embarrassing fashion.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

*Sigh* Guess I'm gonna be the one to say that I doubt Crawford stays at 140 long enough for that fight to happen.

I'll go cry myself to sleep now.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the size difference is too big for it to ever happen but it's an interest no thought

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Just watched Canelo vs Kirkland again...Christ.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Just watched Canelo vs Kirkland again...Christ.

i forgot how short it was.

i just watched lomachenko / sosa. gross mismatch. absolute pleasure to watch the angles loma cuts though. insanely sick.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

i forgot how short it was.

i just watched lomachenko / sosa. gross mismatch. absolute pleasure to watch the angles loma cuts though. insanely sick.

That's why everyone is calling him to take on an undefeated champion at 135. Sosa is a top 7-8 guy at 130 and it's becoming apparent there's no challenges for him unless he takes on the elite at higher weight classes.

EDIT:

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Okay, I did my homework.... Loma would trounce Crawford, good as he is. No clue who could take Loma outside of a lucky shot -- I don't think anyone can counter his speed or instinct right now (Salido :thejoke:)

At this point Salido can weigh 200 pounds and be allowed to low blow Loma to his heart's content and he'd still get worked.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 11, 2017

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, I did my homework.... Loma would trounce Crawford, good as he is. No clue who could take Loma outside of a lucky shot -- I don't think anyone can counter his speed or instinct right now (Salido :thejoke:)

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Lomachenko has a short reach and only good, not great power. He'll end up one weight division too far and fight someone too big and strong for him, but that won't be for a few years yet.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
lomachenko's highlights from the weekend if you can't be arsed watching the whole thing https://streamable.com/3lqhy

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Monday Bandele posted:

Lomachenko has a short reach and only good, not great power. He'll end up one weight division too far and fight someone too big and strong for him, but that won't be for a few years yet.

This is why I think I'd favor Mikey if they fought.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/12/wladimir-klitschko-mount-everest-boxing-anthony-joshua

Nice interview, and I have to say I like the metaphor regardless of its appropriateness.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If beating Klitschko is climbing Everest, beating Klitschko in 2017 is like taking an helicopter ride up the first 70% of the mountain. It'd still be pretty drat impressive if you did it, but it's not what it could have been.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IDK, I haven't seen anybody beat him in 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's still a big name and even if his reflexes are gone and he's utter shite now, he's not going to lose his boxing mind. He's still a decent scalp for that alone, even if he's just definitely not going to be the best Klitschko he could possibly ever be.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Reflexes? It's Wladimir Klitschko mate not Pernell Whitaker. The Fury fight was identical to every fight he's fought for the past 10 years, it just didn't work against someone a bit bigger and with a better gameplan than the puddings he'd got used to walking over. Incidentally I think he's got great odds for this.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Lmao @ this Canelo-Chavez commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6TgJrPAG8

They're running through Trump's wall

Evang
Nov 1, 2000

No Beezer, no Mellanby, but it's still Year of the Rat!

balancedbias posted:

*Sigh* Guess I'm gonna be the one to say that I doubt Crawford stays at 140 long enough for that fight to happen.

I'll go cry myself to sleep now.

Bud is on his way to 147 before Loma gets anywhere near him. They're just too different in size to realistically match up, although it's fun to think and talk about.

So VL looked unworldy and made a solid B fighter(Sosa) appear like he had no business being inside the building, let alone the ring. Let's see if he can do that against someone with heavier fists and better skills.

Also after the SituAsian pointed out it out, I hadn't given Linares enough respect at 135, who will be a drat stern test for Garcia. Logic dictates the winner of that eventual scrap will be waiting to see if VL walks down the crowd at 130 and moves up for a potential PPV co-liner of some sort. Rest of this year (and 2018) seems like it's got plenty of action waiting....

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Evang posted:

So VL looked unworldy and made a solid B fighter(Sosa) appear like he had no business being inside the building, let alone the ring. Let's see if he can do that against someone with heavier fists and better skills.

You mean like Nicholas Walters?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Loma fights don't even look like fights. They always have these weird moments in them where you can tell his opponents are getting so frustrated while the fight moves at a really strange pace. Like when Walters just dropped his hands and waited for the round to end at one point.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Incredibly heartbreaking article about Prichard Colon who fell into a coma after an October 2015 fight and who will probably be in a vegetative state for the rest of his life

http://cdn.espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/19149776/shattered-dreams

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lionel Richie posted:

Reflexes? It's Wladimir Klitschko mate not Pernell Whitaker. The Fury fight was identical to every fight he's fought for the past 10 years, it just didn't work against someone a bit bigger and with a better gameplan than the puddings he'd got used to walking over. Incidentally I think he's got great odds for this.

Just because he's always been a big slow dude doesn't mean he doesn't rely on reflex.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Just because he lost one doesn't mean he's "utter shite" all of a sudden either. If Joshua wins it's legit.

Evang
Nov 1, 2000

ozymandius1024 posted:

You mean like Nicholas Walters?

So that was one. Sosa isn't and wasn't on Walters' level. It might be that there's nobody at 130 who can do that, don't know yet.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I would have liked to see Vargas against loma but he was tragically killed earlier this year by Berchelt

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I would have liked to see Vargas against loma but he was tragically killed earlier this year by Berchelt

I wouldn't have minded a Lomachenko fight vs. Berchelt after he destroyed Vargas the way he did. Not going to happen, but Berchelt looked pretty solid.

Evang
Nov 1, 2000

Berchelt and Miura agreed to fight this summer, probably at Stubhub Center or the Forum. Loma getting the winner would be pretty ok, yeah?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Evang posted:

Berchelt and Miura agreed to fight this summer, probably at Stubhub Center or the Forum. Loma getting the winner would be pretty ok, yeah?

Lomachenko almost certainly gets a fight in the meantime. Jezreel Corrales actually just signed with Golden Boy so that seems encouraging.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

No shortage of good fights at 130

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
From the GDT:

Kid Dynamite posted:

Jacobs was having insane success from the southpaw stance and I'm very surprised he didn't just commit to it fully because GGG was loving him up when he went conventional.

I think southpaw only gelled for Jacobs past round 6. He was holding his own for a couple rounds before that, but before, he was losing on points when going to southpaw. I don't disagree with the strategy, but the judges had plenty of material to score for GGG in the first half.
Switching back and forth might have done more to throw GGG off than purely staying in the stance that was scoring more.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've heard a pretty distressing rumour that GGG has a pretty bad injury, potentially career derailing. Nothing concrete has emerged though.

Meanwhile, a potential challenger to Terrence Crawford has emerged in Julius Indongo. Dude just became a unified champion by picking up Ricky Burns' belt. It's the second straight domination he's put over a world champion. It's obviously a really quick progression for a dude who had never fight outside of Africa like a year ago, but he's certainly talented

It could be a really interesting fight, at the very least the winner would be the first undisputed champ in men's boxing in a long time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've heard a pretty distressing rumour that GGG has a pretty bad injury, potentially career derailing. Nothing concrete has emerged though.

well, so long boxing as part of the mainstream consciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Porter and Berto are fighting tonight, should be a good one if I can pull away from NBA Playoffs games.