Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Hey, if you ever wanted to try your hand at what is arguably the worst Sierra adventure game ever made, Codename: Iceman is on GOG.

Still no GD Conquests of the Longbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Peas and Rice posted:

Hey, if you ever wanted to try your hand at what is arguably the worst Sierra adventure game ever made, Codename: Iceman is on GOG.

Oh my god, I almost forgot the falafel van chase scene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvsYPSFgZ6s

But seriously, don't buy this. About 2/3 of the game is basically dealing with copy protection and using the manual and the rest makes no sense at all.

Of course, as in all games by Jim Walls, the protagonist is a total Mary Sue and who the game's author wishes he was... :v:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

whats so good about conquests of the longbow

looks like a sierra adventure game

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Didn't that game have a key card you could miss early on, and you'd be in a walking dead situation for almost the entire game.

It apparently hates the player.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Didn't that game have a key card you could miss early on, and you'd be in a walking dead situation for almost the entire game.

Sounds like a Sierra game allright.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yes. You have to show your ID to a guard at one point, and he gives you back the wrong one (how is this even possible in real life I do not know). If you don't look at it in your inventory and realise it's wrong and ask him for the correct one, you basically cannot finish the game. Of course, it's all part of Jim Walls's hardon for "following procedure". It's mentioned in the game manual that you should always check your id when it's given back to you, so... you haven't followed procedure and rightly you fail the game in his eyes.

It's even worse: there is an essential one pixel item at the very beginning of the game that you could miss too!

There's Sierra-style bullshit and then there's Codename: Iceman! :v:

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009
There's also a poker game you have to win that has anti-savescumming code- reload too many times and your opponent calls you a cheater and leaves. Got some bad hands? Tough luck, game over.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, I think there's an LP of Iceman. It's....special. I might get it on sale much later so I can play it drunk.

They're holding Longbow for the pre-summer sale, I just know it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ivantod posted:

Of course, it's all part of Jim Walls's hardon for "following procedure". It's mentioned in the game manual that you should always check your id when it's given back to you, so... you haven't followed procedure and rightly you fail the game in his eyes.

Police Quest does this sort of thing too - forget to walk around your car before driving off and you're dead, every time.

Mind you, not as bad because you aren't walking dead.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

As I recall, the two Conquest games are closer to QfG than to usual Sierra crap.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ulmont posted:

Police Quest does this sort of thing too - forget to walk around your car before driving off and you're dead, every time.

Mind you, not as bad because you aren't walking dead.

It's almost like Jim Walls is a terrible, terrible game designer.

The car thing is at least an instant kill (well, next screen, anyway). Massive out-of-nowhere dick move that requires you saving all the time to mitigate, but you're not playing half the game in an unwinnable state.

That said, the Hotel Delphoria endgame has soooo many walking dead scenarios I half expect Lytton to actually be in Georgia.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

It doesn't actively try to screw you at every turn; there is some instadeath stuff but for the most part you can make bad decisions or screw things up and still keep playing. There are several endings based on making good or bad choices, and whether or not you completed puzzles or let certain people die. IIRC Maid Marian can actually die and you can Lee playing, which is kinda interesting.

It was also one of the pinnacles of the Sierra art style, which I really like. Plus nostalgia.

As for Codename Iceman: I did that let's play so you all wouldn't have to suffer through that awful turd. Don't let my sacrifice be in vain!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Atheris posted:

There's also a poker game you have to win that has anti-savescumming code- reload too many times and your opponent calls you a cheater and leaves. Got some bad hands? Tough luck, game over.

I haven't played Codename: Iceman, but from what I remember reading, you don't have to win the card game, but if you do, it makes one of the sections later in the game easier.

The anti-savescumming thing is still pretty crappy, though, especially when you consider that in LSL1 and SQ1, you had to save-scum with the slot machines in order to get the money you needed to progress.

I love Sierra, but I think that Codename: Iceman along with Gold Rush, exemplify all the worst aspects of their early adventure games.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 14, 2017

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So has anyone checked out Full Throttle remastered yet? I'm in the middle of moving so I haven't had a chance to play it yet

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Saints Row 4 and Gat Out Of Hell are now on GOG.
Saints Row 2 can be grabbed for FREE for the next 48 hours!
...aaand the Saints Row games are on GOG Connect so you can grab GOG versions if you own them on Steam.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Here's a gift copy of SR2 in case anyone is too lazy to click the front page, I guess: https://www.gog.com/redeem/6F6A8-D4552-AEB43-3F8EA

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Kins posted:

Saints Row 4 and Gat Out Of Hell are now on GOG.
Saints Row 2 can be grabbed for FREE for the next 48 hours!
...aaand the Saints Row games are on GOG Connect so you can grab GOG versions if you own them on Steam.

I don't know why, but I've been really wary about trying GOG Connect. Maybe it's because you have to set your profile to public in order to connect it, and I'm worried it'll get messed up if I set it back to private afterwards. It's also sort of annoying since the imported titles always change.

If you don't own all the DLC for Saints Row IV, can you still get it through GOG Connect?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know why, but I've been really wary about trying GOG Connect. Maybe it's because you have to set your profile to public in order to connect it, and I'm worried it'll get messed up if I set it back to private afterwards. It's also sort of annoying since the imported titles always change.

If you don't own all the DLC for Saints Row IV, can you still get it through GOG Connect?

I set mine back to private after the first freebies with no real issue. When I set it back to public for the second set it took a day before it would register I owned any of the games.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

fastbilly1 posted:

I set mine back to private after the first freebies with no real issue. When I set it back to public for the second set it took a day before it would register I owned any of the games.

Okay, I connected the accounts, and I did get Saints Row IV Game of the Century version. I set my Steam profile back to private, so I guess I'll toggle it back when the next bundle of games gets posted.

How often does GOG Connect update with new games? Also, is there a reason why they only allow a certain number of games for a limited time?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Max Wilco posted:

Okay, I connected the accounts, and I did get Saints Row IV Game of the Century version. I set my Steam profile back to private, so I guess I'll toggle it back when the next bundle of games gets posted.

How often does GOG Connect update with new games? Also, is there a reason why they only allow a certain number of games for a limited time?
Every few months and licensing agreements.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Wilco posted:

I assume it's to get people to sign up with their service in the first place.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Aces High posted:

So has anyone checked out Full Throttle remastered yet? I'm in the middle of moving so I haven't had a chance to play it yet

It's fine, but the remastered version has some issues. Some stuff that is animated in the original (some clouds and clothing) are completely still in the remaster, with one animation in particular looking really odd when the character's clothing isn't moving. At one point you're using a monitor, and some of the text is too big for the monitor and spills out on both sides (that one is inexcusable). Also, some of the new art doesn't blend in with the environments as well as the old art IMHO - Ben's bike in particular is REALLY shiny. The game otherwise plays exactly as the original. Don't expect the minigames to control any better.

The widescreen (complete with newly drawn art) is nice but completely changes one part of the game. When you have to use your bike to escape the burning plane the bike is in plane (hah) sight. In the original, you had to walk to the left to see it. Whether this is a problem or an improvement is up for debate. The game has some performance issues - some scene transitions take longer than they should, and the game looked pretty choppy while you're controlling the bike. A little disappointing but it doesn't distract that much. I played on a PS4 Pro with boost mode on.

The audio is slightly cleaner in the remastered version. However, the audio quality of the commentary is terrible! It's also very short and doesn't give much insight into the development of the game, but does have some neat information and stories I didn't know about. You can freely switch between both versions of the game whenever you want. Overall, I'd say it's a decent remaster but I hope they at least fix the monitor thing because jeez that was terrible. If you're new to the game, I'd still recommend the remaster before the original, since the latter definitely is showing its age. Personally I'll probably stick with the original look if I ever decide to replay the game again.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Renoistic posted:

It's fine, but the remastered version has some issues. Some stuff that is animated in the original (some clouds and clothing) are completely still in the remaster, with one animation in particular looking really odd when the character's clothing isn't moving. At one point you're using a monitor, and some of the text is too big for the monitor and spills out on both sides (that one is inexcusable). Also, some of the new art doesn't blend in with the environments as well as the old art IMHO - Ben's bike in particular is REALLY shiny. The game otherwise plays exactly as the original. Don't expect the minigames to control any better.

The audio is slightly cleaner in the remastered version. However, the audio quality of the commentary is terrible! It's also very short and doesn't give much insight into the development of the game, but does have some neat information and stories I didn't know about. You can freely switch between both versions of the game whenever you want. Overall, I'd say it's a decent remaster but I hope they at least fix the monitor thing because jeez that was terrible. If you're new to the game, I'd still recommend the remaster before the original, since the latter definitely is showing its age. Personally I'll probably stick with the original look if I ever decide to replay the game again.

I took similar issue with the Monkey Island Special Editions (especially with MI2); the new art doesn't really mesh with the look of the original, and some of the animations from the original look better than they do in the updated style. The audio commentary is also the same, where it only pops up sporadically, and doesn't really dive into much detail in the game's development, aside from goofy stories between Grossman, Schafer, and Gilbert.

Why specifically do you recommend the remake over the original? You say that the original is showing it's age, but is there any real difference between playing the remake over playing the original via SCUMMVM? If the remake has graphical issues, and doesn't really improve on the mini-games, it doesn't sound like there's a major advantage above playing the original (aside from the upgraded art and the fact that the original isn't available for sale)

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Overall, I'd say it's a decent remaster but I hope they at least fix the monitor thing because jeez that was terrible. If you're new to the game, I'd still recommend the remaster before the original, since the latter definitely is showing its age. Personally I'll probably stick with the original look if I ever decide to replay the game again.

Also isn't the original version impossible to complete when playing on ScummVM? It's been a while since I played and maybe they've fixed it, but it would always crash when you get to the fighting motorbikes section.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

screaden posted:

Also isn't the original version impossible to complete when playing on ScummVM? It's been a while since I played and maybe they've fixed it, but it would always crash when you get to the fighting motorbikes section.
That problem was introduced a few years ago when they changed something. It's possible that it's been fixed now.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The only reason to get the SEs of Monkey Island are to play them with the original graphics using the new voice acting.

Except you can't even do that with MI1. :smith:

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

The only reason to get the SEs of Monkey Island are to play them with the original graphics using the new voice acting.

Except you can't even do that with MI1. :smith:

You totally can.

Click

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Eulisker posted:

You totally can.

Click

Literally beat that this week. It is like finding a cd from the mid 90s that has been missing in a drawer that at Lucasarts. There is one for MI2, but its is not necessary.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
Fantasy General is free but only through the GOG Facebook page, it seems.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Lockmat posted:

Fantasy General is free but only through the GOG Facebook page, it seems.

Thanks I would have probably missed this otherwise.

Turns out you can skip Facebook by just going here: https://www.gog.com/redeem/FB200KGIVEAWAY

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Eulisker posted:

You totally can.

Click

WHAAAT. That's awesome.

I assume to get it into ScummVM on a Mac, I'd have to unpack it on a Windows machine first and the copy it over, right?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Apparently I received SpellForce 2 - Anniversary Edition for free earlier this month, which I never noticed until I looked at my account just now. I'm not sure why, but I assume it's because I own all the SpellForce games already.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Max Wilco posted:

Why specifically do you recommend the remake over the original? You say that the original is showing it's age, but is there any real difference between playing the remake over playing the original via SCUMMVM? If the remake has graphical issues, and doesn't really improve on the mini-games, it doesn't sound like there's a major advantage above playing the original (aside from the upgraded art and the fact that the original isn't available for sale)

Well, you don't need SCUMMVM, and the new art doesn't look like a pixelated mess on modern monitors and TVs. Unless you're fond of the pixel art, or have already played the original, I'm pretty sure most people would prefer the remaster.

That link above is awesome! I haven't actually played the MI remaster because the new art is just so, so, so ugly.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Here's an old code I had for Neverwinter Nights Diamond

https://www.gog.com/redeem/F1FC6-82F92-A85FA-6689D You're welcome Richlove :)

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 23, 2017

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wow just finished MI two weeks ago - would definitely have preferred to have the old graphics with the new audio. Still a great game, but the new graphics are largely poor and characterless, really.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

https://www.gog.com/redeem/F1FC6-82F92-A85FA-6689D

Hmmm, clicked that but might already own it. Did I break your gift?

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Hidden Asbestos posted:

https://www.gog.com/redeem/F1FC6-82F92-A85FA-6689D

I was able to claim this. Thank you Hidden Asbestos! It's been a long time since I bought this game at release and played through the campaign with a friend. Never played through SoU or HotU though.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Well Saints Row 2 runs kind of lovely. I know it was free but it would of been fun to run through the game again.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Richlove posted:

I was able to claim this. Thank you Hidden Asbestos! It's been a long time since I bought this game at release and played through the campaign with a friend. Never played through SoU or HotU though.

The SoU+HotU campaign is far better than the base one. SoU is not super special but HotU is legit great.

Even the soundtrack's much better, Rebel Camp is still one of my favorite town themes in any game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46yzCB82kA

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

BadAstronaut posted:

Maybe not the right thread for this but I'll try anyway... Just set up my Steam Link and want to know how i can run some of my GOG library from the couch via my new hardware. This possible?

For future reference I found getting GOG non-Steam games to work with the link extremely ymmv. Witcher 3 worked with zero issue linking the exe in Steam. I found Deponia only worked if you exited Big Picture and launched in through the normal desktop.

To this day I still have never gotten Rebel Galaxy to launch and recognize the Steam Controller over the Link. Even after spending a stupid amount of time trying to troubleshoot the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
A bit of an odd question but is TIE Fighter still a decent game even nowadays or is it more that the power of nostalgia makes itenjoyable?