Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've heard a pretty distressing rumour that GGG has a pretty bad injury, potentially career derailing. Nothing concrete has emerged though.

Havent heard anything about this since this post so I'm going to assume that (thankfully) this was just some misinformation.

Porter/Berto and an independent Top Rank ppv with Oscar Valdez-Miguel Marriaga tonight. Hopefully Porter can get a rematch with Thurman and Valdez moves up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was thinking of going to the Valdez fight but had no strong feelings about anyone on the card. I'm sure I'll regret that decision; fights at StubHub are usually barnburners.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lionel Richie posted:

Just because he lost one doesn't mean he's "utter shite" all of a sudden either. If Joshua wins it's legit.

Even if signifies an hypothetical.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

porter should win within 4 or 5 rounds tbh

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thehappyprince posted:

porter should win within 4 or 5 rounds tbh

I think it will be more like when Guerrero mauled him but finishing it late rather than just blinding him.

Also Martin Murray apparently just robbed Gabe Rosado. Dude just cannot catch a break.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

what time is the porter fight likely to get going?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That down: mostly being off balance?

edit: wow, hard KO, right through the ropes.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 23, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thehappyprince posted:

what time is the porter fight likely to get going?

I would assume in a few now. Hell of a touch by Charlo the Lesser

Lemieux over Stevens still more brutal imo

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

kooty

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

he is still out

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

thehappyprince posted:

he is still out

somebody post a gif for those of us unable to watch

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
That was a scary knockout.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

somebody post a gif for those of us unable to watch

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/855967148384047105

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

seems like a nice guy too

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Charlos are quite something

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

how the gently caress is spence the favourite against brook

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

drat i just missed it. gotta be fast.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

put a little replay on instagram for you https://www.instagram.com/p/BTNgykEDeNr/?taken-by=bigxchungo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

holy poo poo. what a peach. thanks man

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

jimmy lennon jr is so much better than buffer

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

berto looks really uncomfortable when porter pours it on

and down he goes. i don't think he wants to be there

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Neither of them look great now.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Porter is so graceless.
I mean that as a compliment; he just loves to bully a fight when he can and he doesn't care how it looks.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

oh i guess we get a thurman vs porter rematch

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm gonna say something horrible and you're going to hate it. I feel like Porter has the style to trouble Mayweather.

I don't think he's like, good enough to actually do anything to Mayweather, but he could certainly make him work hard.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm gonna say something horrible and you're going to hate it. I feel like Porter has the style to trouble Mayweather.

I don't think he's like, good enough to actually do anything to Mayweather, but he could certainly make him work hard.

There's nothing controversial about that statement. If Porter were to keep Mayweather on the ropes for 2:30 of every round landing on elbows/arms, occasional bodyshot and headbutts while Mayweather gets 1 good clean punch and random circling before being pushed back to the ropes, that's a decision right there. It worked for Castillo, it worked for Maidana, and it certainly could work for Porter on a post-40 retired Mayweather.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It worked for guys who lost and then much more clearly lost rematches?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

big money big clit posted:

It worked for guys who lost and then much more clearly lost rematches?

Ali is vulnerable to a good jab. He clowns liston, loses respectably to norton, and is clowned by Holmes. A problematic style is one thing, but old age is another. Honestly I'll miss Mayweather when he's gone. Well, more gone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do BT really have the Canelo/Chavez fight or was I not paying attention to the advert properly?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I dksab but is AJ-Wlad the most significant heavyweight fight since Lewis-Vitali?

Nothing since springs to mind

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

I dksab but is AJ-Wlad the most significant heavyweight fight since Lewis-Vitali?

Nothing since springs to mind

Ummmm, Wlad/Fury perhaps???

:lol:

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I'm going to be really surprised if Joshua doesn't win this fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I'm going to be really surprised if Joshua doesn't win this fight.

he's looked great in the fights i've seen, but isn't this step up in competition quite significant?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

he's looked great in the fights i've seen, but isn't this step up in competition quite significant?

Both fighters bring enough unknowns that it's sort of hard to say until it happens.

Joshua - Is he proven? Wins have steadily increased in quality without dipping in decisiveness, but he's yet to notch a win that obviously puts him at the top. The Whyte win looks the best in retrospect.
Wlad - Is he shot? It's hard to say what were the biggest factors in the Fury loss. The skills of Fury? The bad style matchup? The age of Wlad? The physical matchup, with Fury being a rare taller opponent?

If Wlad's troubles were due to the size or his own aging, AJ should win here. If it's about the style matchup, things look a little better for him since AJ uses the kind of textbook style he knows how to deal with.

It's a classic case of How much does he have versus how much does he have left. It should absolutely one of the biggest heavyweight fights of the decade, but it's undercut only by the Fury fight casting a huge amount of doubt on Klitschko.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Both fighters bring enough unknowns that it's sort of hard to say until it happens.

Joshua - Is he proven? Wins have steadily increased in quality without dipping in decisiveness, but he's yet to notch a win that obviously puts him at the top. The Whyte win looks the best in retrospect.
Wlad - Is he shot? It's hard to say what were the biggest factors in the Fury loss. The skills of Fury? The bad style matchup? The age of Wlad? The physical matchup, with Fury being a rare taller opponent?

If Wlad's troubles were due to the size or his own aging, AJ should win here. If it's about the style matchup, things look a little better for him since AJ uses the kind of textbook style he knows how to deal with.

It's a classic case of How much does he have versus how much does he have left. It should absolutely one of the biggest heavyweight fights of the decade, but it's undercut only by the Fury fight casting a huge amount of doubt on Klitschko.

that's what i thought. i'm inclined to throw a few bucks on wlad, as he's a significant underdog.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
AJ's only real fight was when Dillan Whyte clocked him. Brazeale was a walking heavy bag while Martin and Molina wouldn't even cut it as sparring partners. It'a a monumental step up. If he'd had one more fight against a real contender like Pulev/Parker/Ortiz etc we'd know more where he's at.

I think the fight not being in Germany with refs that allow excessive clinching is a crucial factor, Wlad will be forced to roll back the years and slug it out.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ozymandius1024 posted:

Ummmm, Wlad/Fury perhaps???

:lol:

Actually that reminded me; maybe Haye-Klitschko? Though I didn't really follow boxing i do remember quite a bit of hype including that awesome Face Off

https://youtu.be/-lDZhnxAwS0

Anyways this fight basically comes down to is Wlad washed because if so then he's getting absolutely crumpled. If not then it will be his experience versus AJ's physicality and no one can know how that will play out until it happens

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 26, 2017

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Quite a bit of hype is an understatement for that one, it was a huge fight. And then, as always with Haye, he saw the most disappointing route and committed fully to it.

I'd love it if Wlad just went out there guns blazing like he used to before Steward came along. There are plenty of rumours about Joshua being able to take a punch. He's probably got so used to friendly refs ignoring his bullshit that he can't compute anything else anymore though.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm sure I'll look stupid for saying this two days from now but I do think Joshua has stepped up too big too early against Klitschko. Even at 41 Wlad would probably beat out 95% of heavyweights without problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm sure I'll look stupid for saying this two days from now but I do think Joshua has stepped up too big too early against Klitschko. Even at 41 Wlad would probably beat out 95% of heavyweights without problems.

And surely, surely, fighting as a contender rather than the reigning champ will light a fire that reforges the steel hammer?